SAAFL division 6 2014

Adelaide Footy League Talk

Who will win the division 6 grand final?

Angle Vale
3%
Blackfriars OS
7%
Central United
2%
Fitzroy
13%
Ingle Farm
10%
Lockleys
4%
Mawson Lakes
13%
Mitchell Park
6%
Rosewater
33%
West Croydon
8%

Total votes : 98

Re: SAAFL division 6 2014

Postby The Informer » Wed Jul 02, 2014 6:52 pm

Bombers4EVA wrote:Im pretty sure he wouldnt have cracked it and walked off unless it was abuse directed towards him in some sense. Over many years of contributing to the club and copping it for the decisions he makes. I too would find it hard to want to do it week in and week out.

Like I said, the umpires volunteer their own times to make it possible for the players to play footy. Without them there would be no games to play.

Mate you should really get off your high horse, what's the difference then when it is the time keeper yelling abuse at the umps or the blokes wearing the club guernsey trying there best or is that too close to home for you?
The Informer
Reserves

Has liked: 19 times
Been liked: 233 times
Grassroots Team: Houghton Districts

Postby LaughingKookaburra » Wed Jul 02, 2014 10:29 pm

Umpires volunteer their time?
Can you bring a man to his feet when defeat is on repeat?
LaughingKookaburra
Coach

Has liked: 72 times
Been liked: 738 times
Grassroots Team: Kenilworth

Postby The Informer » Wed Jul 02, 2014 10:39 pm

LaughingKookaburra wrote:Umpires volunteer their time?

Not all of them do, I know of a guy who played over 150 games at a certain club and then took up umpiring but didn't umpire his own club as another club offered him more money.
The Informer
Reserves

Has liked: 19 times
Been liked: 233 times

Postby Roaring Lion! » Wed Jul 02, 2014 11:49 pm

Speaking of Ump's the bloke that umpired for Lockley's Reserves last weekend against Fitzroy was probally the best I've seen over the last 9 x years of SAAFL footy I've seen, most of the time these volunteers cop their fair share of abuse but this bloke was really good.
IT'S US AGAINST THEM!!!
Roaring Lion!
Under 16s

Has liked: 4 times
Been liked: 4 times
Grassroots Team: Fitzroy

Postby LaughingKookaburra » Thu Jul 03, 2014 12:05 am

Dario? Quality bloke the first to come up to you in the front bar for a drink too.
Can you bring a man to his feet when defeat is on repeat?
LaughingKookaburra
Coach

Been liked: 738 times
Grassroots Team: Kenilworth

Postby Roaring Lion! » Thu Jul 03, 2014 12:08 am

Phantom Gossiper wrote:
Roaring Lion! wrote:
Phantom Gossiper wrote:Anyone want to have a crack at picking a mid-season team of the year?

F: Lynch (Ingle Farm) Williams (Rosewater) Bain (Central United)
HF: Schapel (Mawson Lakes) Hillman (BOS), Curyer (Ingle Farm)
C: Lyons (Rosewater), Pawson (Rosewater), Johnson-Schroeder (Portland)
HB: Cooper (West Croydon), Keast (Fitzroy) , Frith (Central United),
B: Long (Ingle Farm), Nelson (Fitzroy), ?

Ruck: Schar (Rosewater), Demasi (BOS), Woodcock (West Croydon)

Int: Wiles (West Croydon), ? , ? , ?
IT'S US AGAINST THEM!!!
Roaring Lion!
Under 16s

Has liked: 4 times
Been liked: 4 times
Grassroots Team: Fitzroy

Postby Senor Moto Gadili » Thu Jul 03, 2014 9:25 am

Roaring Lion! wrote:Speaking of Ump's the bloke that umpired for Lockley's Reserves last weekend against Fitzroy was probally the best I've seen over the last 9 x years of SAAFL footy I've seen, most of the time these volunteers cop their fair share of abuse but this bloke was really good.

I agree....excellent umpire
Senor Moto Gadili
Veteran

Has liked: 206 times
Been liked: 532 times

Postby Bombers4EVA » Thu Jul 03, 2014 10:21 am

The_Informer wrote:

Not all of them do, I know of a guy who played over 150 games at a certain club and then took up umpiring but didn't umpire his own club as another club offered him more money.

Im pretty sure I know of the bloke you are referring too. And Im pretty sure he waited right up til the last week before Rnd1 started and no one got back to him. As of the statement I made of umpires volunteering their time. They do infact volunteer and the SAAFL recommends that they get paid.

If umpires dont volunteer their time then what would happen??
Bombers4EVA
League - Best 21

Has liked: 326 times
Been liked: 89 times

Postby zedman » Thu Jul 03, 2014 10:45 am

Bombers4EVA wrote:
The_Informer wrote:

Im pretty sure I know of the bloke you are referring too. And Im pretty sure he waited right up til the last week before Rnd1 started and no one got back to him. As of the statement I made of umpires volunteering their time. They do infact volunteer and the SAAFL recommends that they get paid.

If umpires dont volunteer their time then what would happen??

volunteer
a person who freely offers to take part in an enterprise or undertake a task.
a person who works for an organization without being paid.

if they are paid they are not volunteering..they are paid for their time..how many umpires do it for free? do you? :D
zedman
Coach

Has liked: 1077 times
Been liked: 387 times

Postby Bombers4EVA » Thu Jul 03, 2014 11:17 am

Hey Zedman. Yeah i do. Im just getting my info confused. So even though you get paid to umpire. Without someone volunteering their time to umpire there still will be no one to umpire the games. There isnt enough SAAFL apointed umpires to spread to the reserves. So without people like me who volunteer our times, there wouldnt be any football to play.
Bombers4EVA
League - Best 21

Postby tkr » Thu Jul 03, 2014 11:18 am

The_Informer wrote:
Bombers4EVA wrote:Im pretty sure he wouldnt have cracked it and walked off unless it was abuse directed towards him in some sense. Over many years of contributing to the club and copping it for the decisions he makes. I too would find it hard to want to do it week in and week out.

Like I said, the umpires volunteer their own times to make it possible for the players to play footy. Without them there would be no games to play.

Mate you should really get off your high horse, what's the difference then when it is the time keeper yelling abuse at the umps or the blokes wearing the club guernsey trying there best or is that too close to home for you?

I know the timekeeper for the B grade game last week and I'm positive he didn't abuse the umpire!
tkr
Rookie

Has liked: 160 times
Been liked: 19 times

Postby Mr Beefy » Thu Jul 03, 2014 11:25 am

Bombers4EVA wrote:Hey Zedman. Yeah i do. Im just getting my info confused. So even though you get paid to umpire. Without someone volunteering their time to umpire there still will be no one to umpire the games. There isnt enough SAAFL apointed umpires to spread to the reserves. So without people like me who volunteer our times, there wouldnt be any football to play.

Stop saying you volunteer your time when you are paid for your time! Perhaps say you choose to umpire the B grade and if people like me didn't then there would be no game.
Mr Beefy
Coach

Has liked: 404 times
Been liked: 651 times
Grassroots Team: Rosewater

Postby Q. » Thu Jul 03, 2014 11:27 am

I volunteer to work forty hours a week. And get paid for it.
Q.
Coach

Has liked: 970 times
Been liked: 2396 times

Postby Lightning McQueen » Thu Jul 03, 2014 11:45 am

All umpires are crap.
HOGG SHIELD DIVISION V WINNER 2018.
Lightning McQueen
Coach

Has liked: 4339 times
Been liked: 7902 times

Postby zedman » Thu Jul 03, 2014 11:53 am

Lightning McQueen wrote:All umpires are crap.

if you actually start with this as a base then you would never be shocked or surprised at them and i would suspect there is no need to abuse anyone because you already knew they would be crap..weird sort of logic but it works.. :)
zedman
Coach

Has liked: 1077 times
Been liked: 387 times

Postby Phantom Gossiper » Thu Jul 03, 2014 11:58 am

Mr Beefy wrote:Stop saying you volunteer your time when you are paid for your time!

Volunteers can be paid in cash, given non-cash benefits or given a combination of both cash and non-cash benefits. These payments are given various descriptions, including honorariums reimbursements (an honorarium can describe:an honorary reward for voluntary services; a fee for professional services voluntarily rendered) and allowances

Where a person’s activities are a pastime or hobby – rather than income producing – money and other benefits received from those activities are not assessable income

A payment that is not assessable to a volunteer will have many of the following characteristics.

The payment is to meet incurred or anticipated expenses.
The payment has no connection to the recipient’s income-producing activities or services.
The payment is not received as remuneration or as a consequence of employment.
The payment is not relied upon or expected by the recipient for day-to-day living.
The payment is not legally required or expected.
There is no obligation on the part of the payer to make the payment.
The payment is a token amount compared to the services provided or expenses incurred by the recipient. Whether the payment is token depends on the full facts surrounding the payment and recipient’s circumstances.

So in short - yes a volunteer can be paid and they still are classed as a volunteer.
Phantom Gossiper
Coach

Has liked: 402 times
Been liked: 285 times

Postby Robb_Stark » Thu Jul 03, 2014 11:59 am

Lightning McQueen wrote:All umpires are crap.

ease up the last game we done together we dominated i remember giving you the 3 votes and me the 2 votes and gave 1 vote to the boundary umpire :)
Robb_Stark
League - Best 21

Been liked: 155 times

Postby HH3 » Thu Jul 03, 2014 12:00 pm

Phantom Gossiper wrote:
Mr Beefy wrote:Stop saying you volunteer your time when you are paid for your time!

Volunteers can be paid in cash, given non-cash benefits or given a combination of both cash and non-cash benefits. These payments are given various descriptions, including honorariums reimbursements (an honorarium can describe:an honorary reward for voluntary services; a fee for professional services voluntarily rendered) and allowances

Where a person’s activities are a pastime or hobby – rather than income producing – money and other benefits received from those activities are not assessable income

A payment that is not assessable to a volunteer will have many of the following characteristics.

The payment has no connection to the recipient’s income-producing activities or services.
The payment is not relied upon or expected by the recipient for day-to-day living.
The payment is a token amount compared to the services provided or expenses incurred by the recipient. Whether the payment is token depends on the full facts surrounding the payment and recipient’s circumstances.

So in short - yes a volunteer can be paid and they still are classed as a volunteer.

But would people many be "volunteering" if there was no money involved? Doubt it.
I TOLD YOU SO

2013/14 NFL Tipping Comp Champion
HH3
Coach

Has liked: 3301 times
Been liked: 2432 times
Grassroots Team: North Haven

Postby Bombers4EVA » Thu Jul 03, 2014 12:02 pm

Phantom Gossiper wrote:

Thank you Phantom.
Bombers4EVA
League - Best 21

Postby Phantom Gossiper » Thu Jul 03, 2014 12:05 pm

HH3 wrote:But would people many be "volunteering" if there was no money involved? Doubt it.

Probably not as many, i'm sure you would still get some - those who want to stay involved/fit, or kids who do boundary/goals/scoreboard. The money is obviously just an added incentive to get people to put their hand up to help out.
Phantom Gossiper
Coach

Has liked: 402 times
Been liked: 285 times

PreviousNext

Board index   Football  Other Footy Leagues  Adelaide Footy League