WG GRACE

First Class Cricket Talk (International and State)

WG GRACE

Postby stampy » Thu Oct 24, 2013 12:42 pm

named as an opener in wisdens best ever side but what are his credentials apart from being a pompous poonce? averaged 32 at test level and 39 at FC level but is touted as the greatest ever why?
Go The Tiges!!!
stampy
Coach

Has liked: 66 times
Been liked: 333 times
Grassroots Team: Christies Beach

Re: WG GRACE

Postby GWW » Thu Oct 24, 2013 12:47 pm

They were celebrating 150 years of the "Cricketers' Almanack" (whatever that is), so they were obviously wanting to include at least 1 player from the start of that period.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/cricket/24640224
GWW

Has liked: 816 times
Been liked: 166 times

Postby on the rails » Thu Oct 24, 2013 1:17 pm

These sorts of all time sporting line ups cause great debate and reading through the readers responses on the above link you will never get an agreed consensus. I have my thoughts:

Grace may have had a poor average etc. compared to the "modern" greats (not Bradman as is simply Bradman) but there is no one alive who can actually vouch for how he influenced the game and how the comparable stars of that time performed? His selection is debatable to say the least.

Lillee, McGrath, Lara and Kallis could all be considered very unlucky.

Murali - took too many of his "chucking" wickets on doctored dust bowl pitches in Asia and played alot of cricket against lesser nations such as Zimbabwe etc but many calling for him to be in ahead of S.K. Warne?

Hadlee to my thinking is the unluckiest. He was an amazing bowler and decent lower order batsman / allrounder. All the great paceman in consideration all had decent bowlers at the other end and decent change bowlers to put on pressure and relieve them from long spells. Who did Hadlee have in a basically poor NZ team for most of his career, Bob Cunis, Ewan Chatfield and Martin Snedden and a cast of other very average just medium pacers. He got his wickets at a very cheap average and against much better teams without support or pressure from the other end. When he slowed down re pace as he got older from being a very fast bowler, he got smarter with line length and could swing the ball with real accuracy and guile. As good a pace bowler I have ever seen.
Piss weak SANFL and the CLOWNS who run it.
on the rails
League - Top 5

Has liked: 79 times
Been liked: 83 times

Postby GWW » Thu Oct 24, 2013 1:23 pm

Agreed re Hadlee - whilst I didn't particularly like the bloke, he's probably the best fast bowler I've ever seen (or best non-West Indian bowler anyway).

Would be interesting to know who they would have gone for if not Grace - perhaps Gavaskar or Hutton.
GWW

Has liked: 816 times
Been liked: 166 times

Postby Mr Beefy » Thu Oct 24, 2013 1:24 pm

Alan Knott 95 Tests, 4,389 runs at 32.75, 250 catches, 19 stumpings

Adam Gilchrist 96 Tests, 5,570 runs at 47.60, 379 catches, 37 stumpings

but the biggest difference is that Knott is a pom
Mr Beefy
Coach

Has liked: 406 times
Been liked: 651 times
Grassroots Team: Rosewater

Postby FlyingHigh » Thu Oct 24, 2013 2:22 pm

Actually reading a book about the history of Wisden at the moment, written to celebrate 150 years, called "The Little Wonder", which was John Wisden's nickname when he was a cricketer. Books combines the prevailing English society with the history of the Almanack and the Wisden company itself, which was heavily into sporting goods in at least it's first century (which I didn't know).

Would have to re-visit some of the WG Grace stuff, but from memory his performances were quite often incredible for the time, and he also changed the way the game was played, with certain shots frowned upon until he started scoring so heavily from them.

Not a bad read, but definitely a cricket-tragics' book.
FlyingHigh
Assistant Coach

Has liked: 81 times
Been liked: 174 times

Postby Dogwatcher » Thu Oct 24, 2013 2:30 pm

Grace had as much an influence on the game as Bradman.
He saw the game develop and helped it develop with his play and shenanigans.
An average of 32 and 39 on uncovered decks tells us he was pretty darn good.
From the books I've read, I also wouldn't describe him as a 'poonce', as that suggests he had a veneer of femininity and weakness. He was a man of very strong character and would happily fight his corner.
You're my only friend, and you don't even like me.
Dogwatcher
Coach

Has liked: 1425 times
Been liked: 1152 times
Grassroots Team: Elizabeth

Postby Mr Beefy » Thu Oct 24, 2013 2:37 pm

FlyingHigh wrote:Actually reading a book about the history of Wisden at the moment, written to celebrate 150 years, called "The Little Wonder", which was John Wisden's nickname when he was a cricketer. Books combines the prevailing English society with the history of the Almanack and the Wisden company itself, which was heavily into sporting goods in at least it's first century (which I didn't know).

Would have to re-visit some of the WG Grace stuff, but from memory his performances were quite often incredible for the time, and he also changed the way the game was played, with certain shots frowned upon until he started scoring so heavily from them.

He must have had a single figure average until he started using these shots...and/or cheating
Mr Beefy
Coach

Postby heater31 » Thu Oct 24, 2013 2:39 pm

Very good Stats for the era. Doubt he would have played on many hard decks like we see today.
heater31

Has liked: 525 times
Been liked: 1263 times

Postby shoe boy » Thu Oct 24, 2013 2:58 pm

Hobbs/Grace/Barnes are they serious :roll:
shoe boy
Assistant Coach

Has liked: 488 times
Been liked: 209 times

Postby Grahaml » Thu Oct 24, 2013 2:58 pm

The team is mostly political. Grace is no way in the best 6 bats of all time. I love also how people say "on uncovered pitches" as if that automatically makes it a billion times harder to bat on. If it doesn't rain then it's a moot point, but rain on uncovered pitches can actually make it easier to bat. If I'm not out on a wearing day 4 pitch, I'm praying for rain to make it like a day 1 pitch again. Have a read of the last timeless test and see the effect rain had on that deck.

Gilchrist is a massive mistake. Would not be many more blokes who won games for their country than him. Cops a bit for not being a great keeper, but I think that's largely a myth. All keepers miss chances. Nobody watched Gilly keeping to Warnie and wished for Healy back.

Marshall clearly a better bowler than Hadlee IMHO. If you're wanting an allrounder in that slot though, Imran Khan's bowling is not far behind (and almost identical to Hadlee) but batting near 40. These are Imran's stats from the last 10 years of his career.

M 51 R 2477 HS 136 Ave 51.60 100s 5 W 204 BBI 8/60 Ave 19.90
Grahaml
Assistant Coach

Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 169 times

Postby Aerie » Thu Oct 24, 2013 3:18 pm

It is hard to compare eras, but if you go through a list of names of the whose who of cricket through the eras you'd definitely have WG Grace in.

WG Grace
Don Bradman
Sir Garfield Sobers
Shane Warne

They're probably the "BIG 4"?
Aerie
Coach

Has liked: 147 times
Been liked: 504 times

Postby FlyingHigh » Thu Oct 24, 2013 3:31 pm

Mr Beefy wrote:
FlyingHigh wrote:Actually reading a book about the history of Wisden at the moment, written to celebrate 150 years, called "The Little Wonder", which was John Wisden's nickname when he was a cricketer. Books combines the prevailing English society with the history of the Almanack and the Wisden company itself, which was heavily into sporting goods in at least it's first century (which I didn't know).

He must have had a single figure average until he started using these shots...and/or cheating

IIRC they were always a part of his game, but before he came on the scene they were looked on as not the shots of skillful cricketers. Mainly legside shots. Don't know if they meant hooks and sweeps or cow-corner slogs.
His reputation was also enhanced because he was the hero of the Gentlemen (the amatuers of the MCC and establishment) against the Players who were considered lower class as they played for money rather than for the sheer enjoyment of the game (even though Grace was doing very well out of the game he was still considered an amateur). Wisden was independent of Lords but at this time sympathetic with their view on cricket and often gave more space to the school games than those played by professionals in the County leagues.
FlyingHigh
Assistant Coach

Has liked: 81 times
Been liked: 174 times

Postby Dogwatcher » Thu Oct 24, 2013 3:32 pm

Interesting the best players ever debate always, always has Warney in ahead of Murali....

While the rules may have been bent to accomodate his bowling, the establishment doesn't quite accept him.
Dogwatcher
Coach

Postby Failed Creation » Thu Oct 24, 2013 4:40 pm

I think a novel idea would be for us all to list our all-time XIs. I'm sure most of us could come up with something at least as good as Wisden.
Politicians kissing babies for good luck,
TV preachers sell salvation for a buck.
You don't need no golden cross to tell you wrong from right,
The world's worst murderers were those who saw the light.
Failed Creation
Coach

Has liked: 3307 times
Been liked: 613 times
Grassroots Team: Gawler Central

Postby stampy » Thu Oct 24, 2013 5:40 pm

Failed Creation wrote:I think a novel idea would be for us all to list our all-time XIs. I'm sure most of us could come up with something at least as good as Wisden.

i would ******* well hope so FC, we would have enough great players to choose from ffs
Go The Tiges!!!
stampy
Coach

Has liked: 66 times
Been liked: 333 times
Grassroots Team: Christies Beach

Postby Dogwatcher » Thu Oct 24, 2013 8:54 pm

How about an XI that doesn't include DGB?
Dogwatcher
Coach

Postby Ecky » Fri Oct 25, 2013 3:06 pm

Grace was probably the best batsman in the world and close to the best bowler in the world for an incredibly long period of over 25 years.
Remember also that he was at his best before he played his first Test at the age of 32.

His 1871 season is arguably as dominant as any of Bradman's seasons

In all first-class matches in 1871, a total of 17 centuries were scored and Grace accounted for 10 of them, including the first century in a first-class match at Trent Bridge. He averaged 78.25 and the next best average by a batsman playing more than a single innings was 39.57, barely more than half his figure. His aggregate for the season was 2,739 and this was the first time that anyone had scored 2,000 first-class runs in a season; Harry Jupp was next best with 1,068. Grace's highest score was 268 for South v. North at The Oval. He took 79 wickets at 17.02 with a best analysis of 7–67. He claimed five wickets in an innings 5 times and twice had 10 in a match

Personally I would have been very surprised if he hadn't made the team.
John Olsen, June 2012 wrote:"Reserves teams in the SANFL for the two AFL clubs is not negotiable.
We will not compromise the SANFL competition (with AFL reserves teams)."
Ecky
2022 SA Footy Punter of the Year

Has liked: 12 times
Been liked: 79 times
Grassroots Team: Adelaide Lutheran

Postby Mr Beefy » Fri Oct 25, 2013 3:22 pm

Ecky wrote:Grace was probably the best batsman in the world and close to the best bowler in the world for an incredibly long period of over 25 years.
Remember also that he was at his best before he played his first Test at the age of 32.

In all first-class matches in 1871, a total of 17 centuries were scored and Grace accounted for 10 of them, including the first century in a first-class match at Trent Bridge. He averaged 78.25 and the next best average by a batsman playing more than a single innings was 39.57, barely more than half his figure. His aggregate for the season was 2,739 and this was the first time that anyone had scored 2,000 first-class runs in a season; Harry Jupp was next best with 1,068. Grace's highest score was 268 for South v. North at The Oval. He took 79 wickets at 17.02 with a best analysis of 7–67. He claimed five wickets in an innings 5 times and twice had 10 in a match

Its a test XI, so what he did in a North Vs Souths game is irrelevant
Mr Beefy
Coach

Postby daysofourlives » Fri Oct 25, 2013 6:33 pm

Mr Beefy wrote:
Ecky wrote:Grace was probably the best batsman in the world and close to the best bowler in the world for an incredibly long period of over 25 years.

Its a test XI, so what he did in a North Vs Souths game is irrelevant

Thats not quite right from my understanding Mr Beefy
They are celebrating 150 years which takes it back to 1863. Test cricket only started in 1877.
Therefore with the above stats i think it's a more than fair call to include Grace in the best 11
Supercoach Spring Racing Champion 2019
Spargo's Good Friday Cup Champion 2020
daysofourlives
Coach

Has liked: 2423 times
Been liked: 1660 times
Grassroots Team: Angaston

Next

Board index   Other Sports  Cricket