SANFL Draw released..

All discussions to do with the SANFL

Re: SANFL Draw

Postby SpionKopster » Fri Dec 20, 2013 4:24 pm

Dutchy wrote:
Big Phil wrote:Interesting to see Norwood v Central back at The Parade on a Friday night in Round 12...

Now the crowds will be so low they wont have any trouble

Absolute Rubbish!
Fortis in Procella
SpionKopster
Rookie

Has liked: 12 times
Been liked: 6 times

Re: SANFL Draw released..

Postby RustyCage » Fri Dec 20, 2013 4:29 pm

PhilH wrote:And that leads to an interesting question ... do people support a club or a competition?

From my pre-media days I certainly was more concerned about HOW my team played, rather that WHO my team played.

I love the SANFL because it's the comp my club has played in since day 1, by my loyalties lie with my club 100%
I'm gonna break my rusty cage and run
RustyCage

Has liked: 1260 times
Been liked: 933 times

Postby Wedgie » Fri Dec 20, 2013 5:37 pm

PhilH wrote:Opps ... I wanted to attach the free FOOT-e TIMES SA issue breaking down the fixture club by club.

But max file size on this site is now 2mb and this is 3.8MB.

Sorry

I checked the settings and it has 10mb, must be a setting somewhere else so I'll get @Dissident onto it @PhilH. Sorry about that mate.
Wedgie
Site Admin

Has liked: 2020 times
Been liked: 3862 times
Grassroots Team: Noarlunga

Postby PhilH » Fri Dec 20, 2013 5:39 pm

No worries... the issue was without warning just something put together in the last day.
PhilH
League - Top 5

Has liked: 11 times
Been liked: 163 times
Grassroots Team: Happy Valley

Postby csbowes » Sat Dec 21, 2013 2:26 am

Honestly, who cares?

It's an AFL league anyway.

No more Sturt v Magpies for starters...

No integrity.

No tradition.

No point.

The league has chosen to be a practice league, reap what you've sewn.
csbowes
League - Best 21

Has liked: 0 time
Been liked: 77 times

Postby Harry the Horse » Sat Dec 21, 2013 8:46 am

PhilH wrote:And that leads to an interesting question ... do people support a club or a competition?

From my pre-media days I certainly was more concerned about HOW my team played, rather that WHO my team played.

I no longer feel any love or joy for the SANFL and South Australian football as a whole.
I still hope my club wins but will not be supporting it financially.
So it was with raised eyebrows I received the latest email from the club (admittedly written by a CEO who was not in the chair when the fateful decision was made) reaching out to members:

"What can we do to make Glenelg supporters Glenelg Football Club members? We need to make a Glenelg Football Club membership a desired commodity. We need to provide a member with more benefits and a great experience every time they visit the facility. We need to make our members feel they have ownership of the venue (which they effectively do), so they continue to support it, win or lose, 52 weeks a year."

What can you do? You can give them a voice and listen to them when they speak.

This horse has bolted.
Harry the Horse
Under 16s

Has liked: 4 times
Been liked: 23 times

Postby dedja » Sat Dec 21, 2013 12:03 pm

Very good point.

Whilst I respect everyone can have their own views on this, my 2c is that I have supported my club for 40 years through thick and thin, by blind faith and stupidity without cause for science.

That's what most supporters do ... there is no rhyme or reason other that the love for the club.

That doesn't mean supporters should just accept the decisions made or not question them, you have every right to make your club accountable.

For what it's worth, my financial support for my club will be increasing as I'm fortunate enough to have the capacity to do so. I don't want to see my club (or any other for that matter) die.

The competition will continue and change is inevitable. Some may not like it whilst others will embrace it. There is no right or wrong.

Just a thought for those who don't like the changes to the competition. Whilst it's fine to make your thoughts known on sites like this one, the only way you can influence the decisions that are made by your club is to:
- be a member and make sure your voice is heard
- get involved in your club ... there are many ways to do this
- stand for your Board and make the sacrifices (both time and money) that these people have to make to serve your club

If I look at my club, the President made a decision which he thought was in the best interests of the club and ultimately the competition. Many have voiced their opposition to this.

It is the same president that has been responsible for employing a new CEO, a new Coach, a new Football Director, funding is available to ensure the club's financial sustainability, and facilitated an environment so that quality recruits can be attracted to the club.

My 2c is that he's done a remarkable job in the short time he's been in the role.

I guess time will tell whether his actions bring success to the club on and off the field.
It is better to be silent and be thought a fool, than to speak and remove all doubt
dedja
Coach

Has liked: 157 times
Been liked: 972 times

Postby Harry the Horse » Sat Dec 21, 2013 1:19 pm

dedja wrote:

Just a thought for those who don't like the changes to the competition. Whilst it's fine to make your thoughts known on sites like this one, the only way you can influence the decisions that are made by your club is to:
- be a member and make sure your voice is heard
- get involved in your club ... there are many ways to do this
- stand for your Board and make the sacrifices (both time and money) that these people have to make to serve your club

Respect your stance and your opinion Dedja.
But: I was (and still am for now) a member. My voice was heard and ignored.
Standing for the board is pointless. Joe Tripodi was President of arguably the most powerful and successful club in the competition yet couldn't stop what happened because he didn't have any support from the rest of his board or enough other clubs.

You'll have to forgive me if I find it a bit rich my club is now working on engaging with its members ...
Harry the Horse
Under 16s

Postby RB » Sat Dec 21, 2013 1:28 pm

dedja wrote:make sure your voice is heard

Check. Heard and ignored - never received any replies.
R.I.P. the SANFL 1877 - 2013
RB
Coach

Has liked: 759 times
Been liked: 1073 times

Postby Dutchy » Sat Dec 21, 2013 1:42 pm

Some good points by Dedja and HTH.

I still can't get over the fact the club did not consult with the members before making a decision. The members night was explaining the decision not seeking feedback. If they had sought feedback and still made a decision I didn't agree with then I would cop the decision and move on.

Many supporters wont be lost to football they will simply be lost to the SANFL. I know many that are not signing up as members like they have done years on end and will go back to supporting their Ammo, country footy club or even increase their commitment to the AFL.

And now the Grand Final gets changed to suit AFL interests just tops off an awful year for the league, one Im not sure it will recover from...
Dutchy
Site Admin

Has liked: 2311 times
Been liked: 3482 times

Postby mighty_tiger_79 » Sat Dec 21, 2013 1:58 pm

I wont be a member again

I wont be spending as much money at the club on matchdays or any other day now

my response to PhilH question is that yes I supported my club and I supported the competition

I supported the club by attending matches home and away and I supported the competition by attending other games as a neutral fan. there were many other fans who would've attended a Friday night match at the Parade if their team had the bye for example

now I will more than likely do neither

as has been stated above, I wasn't able to attend the GFC decision making night due to work, but the night wasn't a consultation of members of pros and cons, it was simply read from a script about what the club is going to do.
if the members were able to have an input into the decision, I mean the club could've atleast gave the members false impression that the members voices and concerns were being listened to and came up with other more validated reasons for the decision and perhaps as members we would've accepted that.........
Matty Wade is a star and deserves more respect from the forum family!
mighty_tiger_79
Coach

Has liked: 11805 times
Been liked: 3582 times

Postby zipzap » Sat Dec 21, 2013 3:23 pm

I'll support my team all day long - though I'm torn on the question of membership next season - A premiership in this competition simply won't mean as much
Last edited by zipzap on Sat Dec 21, 2013 3:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"A no vote from any club means there is some sort of risk involved in our entry into the competition not working," Steven Trigg.
zipzap
Assistant Coach

Has liked: 248 times
Been liked: 39 times

Postby zipzap » Sat Dec 21, 2013 3:24 pm

darley16 wrote:Are all finals being played at Adelaide Oval or just the GF?

I'm reading it as one game at AO - the grand final. Which if true, is utterly disgraceful.
"A no vote from any club means there is some sort of risk involved in our entry into the competition not working," Steven Trigg.
zipzap
Assistant Coach

Has liked: 248 times
Been liked: 39 times

Postby Big Phil » Sat Dec 21, 2013 4:06 pm

zipzap wrote:

I'm reading it as one game at AO - the grand final. Which if true, is utterly disgraceful.

Grand Final only will be at Adelaide Oval...

Minor finals will be played at suburban grounds in season 2014, unless the League backflip again like they did this year...
Big Phil
Coach

Has liked: 120 times
Been liked: 271 times

Postby Harry the Horse » Sat Dec 21, 2013 5:30 pm

Big Phil wrote:
zipzap wrote:

Minor finals will be played at suburban grounds in season 2014, unless the League backflip again like they did this year...

Which sets up two ridiculous possibilities:

1) Port can earn a home final but Crows cannot.
2) A lower ranked team can earn a home final by drawing the Crows.
Harry the Horse
Under 16s

Postby Psyber » Sat Dec 21, 2013 6:19 pm

In think you have a point there Phil.
I was, too, more interested in how than who, from about 1956 to 1968, and then I reached a stage in my life where I had to make a choice about where my priorities were, and how much unnecessary pain I should let caring about a sport/game impinge on my activity and happiness.

At that point, I stepped away a bit and developed new priorities including spending time with the women in my life, graduating and developing in my profession, and then building a rewarding career both in terms of satisfaction and income. Indulging my passion for cars and new experiences came a little later.

So, although I have continued to follow my team (Norwood), and secondarily the Crows, football has not been as big a part of my life as it was from age 13 into my early 20s. I am interested, which is why I am on this site, but not committed.
EPIGENETICS - Lamarck was right!
Psyber
Coach

Has liked: 103 times
Been liked: 389 times
Grassroots Team: Hahndorf

Postby mighty_tiger_79 » Sat Dec 21, 2013 7:21 pm

Harry the Horse wrote:
Big Phil wrote:
zipzap wrote:

Which sets up two ridiculous possibilities:

1) Port can earn a home final but Crows cannot.
2) A lower ranked team can earn a home final by drawing the Crows.

A

The crows got a home final in 1997 when they didn't deserve it
Matty Wade is a star and deserves more respect from the forum family!
mighty_tiger_79
Coach

Has liked: 11805 times
Been liked: 3582 times

Postby csbowes » Sat Dec 21, 2013 9:09 pm

I think its insulting clubs ask for help now after not consulting their members about the reserves.

Just amazing...

They love you when you have cash, but have no time for you otherwise.

They have forgotten their roots, just like Crows fans.
csbowes
League - Best 21

Has liked: 0 time
Been liked: 77 times

Postby Apachebulldog » Sun Dec 22, 2013 3:40 pm

Fantasatic draw the highlight for me is I will have FOUR BYES enabling me to spend time with my family !!!!!!!!
SANFL 2000 - 2011 Central District 12 consecutive Grand Final appearances and 9 Premierships.

WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOFFFFFFFFFF.

Hit em hard let them get up and hit em again.
Apachebulldog
League - Best 21

Has liked: 381 times
Been liked: 115 times

Postby Groucho » Sun Dec 22, 2013 9:57 pm

Apachebulldog wrote:Fantasatic draw the highlight for me is I will have FOUR BYES enabling me to spend time with my family !!!!!!!!

Ab don't forget the 2 split rounds and the state game as well. :)
Groucho
Under 18s

Has liked: 106 times
Been liked: 160 times

PreviousNext

Board index   Football  SANFL