Good Chiropractor near Marion?

Anything!

Good Chiropractor near Marion?

Postby Sploosh » Sat Nov 02, 2013 4:58 pm

I am looking for a skillful, experienced chiropractor somewhere in/near the Marion area, specifically to do a bit of work after I have been doing middle distance running and have some sore spots/small injuries. Any suggestions would be very much appreciated.
Sploosh
Under 18s

Has liked: 0 time
Been liked: 5 times

Re: Good Chiropractor near Marion?

Postby DOC » Sat Nov 02, 2013 5:06 pm

Why a chiropractor and not a physio/doctor etc?
DOC
Coach

Has liked: 723 times
Been liked: 2076 times

Postby Sploosh » Sat Nov 02, 2013 5:33 pm

When standing in what feels like a natural position with two feet even/level, i often notice if i look down that the right foot is actually a few cm back compared to the left, so am assuming it might be an alignment problem...
Sploosh
Under 18s

Has liked: 0 time
Been liked: 5 times

Postby am Bays » Sat Nov 02, 2013 8:23 pm

That's what physio's do.

IMO:
Chiro's = quacks
Physio's = professionals

PhysioExtra, Marion Rd opposite the pub
Physio Action Brighton Rd Hove
Physio Solutions Brighton Rd South Brighton
Let that be a lesson to you Port, no one beats the Bays five times in a row in a GF and gets away with it!!!
am Bays
Coach

Has liked: 162 times
Been liked: 1804 times

Postby DOC » Sat Nov 02, 2013 10:59 pm

I agree with AMbays. All footy clubs use physios but I am not aware of any that use chiro's. If they (chiros) relieve pain then people tend to use them but in my experience, people often see their chiro for the same problem over and over. Thus , they tend to provide relief in the main without neccesarily fixing the problem.

Good luck.
DOC
Coach

Has liked: 723 times
Been liked: 2076 times

Postby dedja » Sat Nov 02, 2013 11:02 pm

Physios must be alright ... I married one.
It is better to be silent and be thought a fool, than to speak and remove all doubt
dedja
Coach

Has liked: 157 times
Been liked: 972 times

Postby Tiger83 » Sun Nov 03, 2013 9:18 am

I prefer using a chiro than physios. It seems to work better for me thats all. From my experience, physios just want to teach u a whole heap of stretches which u will never do.
I use Dr Susan Tidy at Spinecare Chiropractic on South rd opposite Castle Plaza.
Tiger83
Under 18s

Has liked: 48 times
Been liked: 20 times

Postby dedja » Sun Nov 03, 2013 10:21 am

There's no reason to play physios against chiros, both have a place to play and people should use whoever they feel the most comfortable with.
It is better to be silent and be thought a fool, than to speak and remove all doubt
dedja
Coach

Postby Psyber » Sun Nov 03, 2013 10:47 am

Sploosh wrote:When standing in what feels like a natural position with two feet even/level, i often notice if i look down that the right foot is actually a few cm back compared to the left, so am assuming it might be an alignment problem...

Or just a habit...
Like I cross my legs left over right when sitting much more often than the other way.
I also tend stand with more weight on my left foot - 10 Kg extra which Chiros at those displays at the Show see as a problem but I don't.
We all use our right a left arms differently too - and you can be right or left eyed...

I am biased - I have a problem with an alleged "health discipline" based on the theory that all disease is caused by misalignment of the vertebra.
( I still remember the dying patient who had spent 6 months getting her neck "realigned" for the lump in her breast.)

PS: I did train in manipulative techniques in the Physical Medicine unit at the QEH when I was a student.
It definitely has its place as a treatment - my problem is with the dangers of the "all disease" causation philosophy.
EPIGENETICS - Lamarck was right!
Psyber
Coach

Has liked: 103 times
Been liked: 389 times
Grassroots Team: Hahndorf

Postby gadj1976 » Sun Nov 03, 2013 11:21 am

am Bays wrote:That's what physio's do.

IMO:
Chiro's = quacks
Physio's = professionals

PhysioExtra, Marion Rd opposite the pub
Physio Action Brighton Rd Hove
Physio Solutions Brighton Rd South Brighton

it's interesting isn't it....If it wasn't for chiro's I wouldn't be walking today

IMO it's the type of chiro you get that makes the difference. Yes, 1 might be a shonk but then that will go for any practitioner group.

For what it's worth, I've used physio's to rehabilitate my shoulder after I did it playing footy. I used one on my knee and he was extracting dollars out of my wallet for no good at all. He said that I had muscular issues in the knee when I had torn the cartildge. So I see benefit in physio's for muscular, tendon and ligament problems, chiro's for structural and nerve issues.
gadj1976
Coach

Has liked: 795 times
Been liked: 849 times

Postby Psyber » Mon Nov 04, 2013 12:15 pm

I made my point about the false premise that is the basis of Chiropractic theory above.
But gadj has a point - there are shonks in every field.

A physio, whom I worked with years ago, pointed out that a good physio should be able to teach you what to do to treat your own injury in 6 sessions and that those who keep you coming back, and try to sell you appliances and special cushions, are shonks. Similarly one Dermatologist may freeze off a minor lesion on your skin at their office while another may send you to a day-surgery centre (perhaps owned by their wife) for the higher fees extractable in that context.
Psyber
Coach

Postby MW » Mon Nov 04, 2013 7:31 pm

There is a dude on Marion Road near the corner of Sturt Road (West side, opposite Rays Outdoors). I cannot remember if he is a chiro or a physio but I stuffed my back once and could not walk in there but walked easily out so he must of been good.

BTW middle distance running in Marion...are you sure you are not me? lol
MW
Coach

Has liked: 2581 times
Been liked: 1822 times

Postby dedja » Mon Nov 04, 2013 7:33 pm

Psyber wrote:I made my point about the false premise that is the basis of Chiropractic theory above.
But gadj has a point - there are shonks in every field.

A physio, whom I worked with years ago, pointed out that a good physio should be able to teach you what to do to treat your own injury in 6 sessions and that those who keep you coming back, and try to sell you appliances and special cushions, are shonks. Similarly one Dermatologist may freeze off a minor lesion on your skin at their office while another may send you to a day-surgery centre (perhaps owned by their wife) for the higher fees extractable in that context.

My missus's general rule of thumb is that there should be some improvement after no more than 3 consults ...
dedja
Coach

Postby bennymacca » Mon Nov 04, 2013 7:35 pm

chiropractic is the biggest load of quackery that has ever been invented. they only thing they will relieve is the weight of your wallet
bennymacca
Coach

Has liked: 2253 times
Been liked: 1803 times
Grassroots Team: Freeling

Postby Spargo » Wed Nov 06, 2013 11:54 am

dedja wrote:Physios must be alright ... I married one.

Should've married a shrink 8-}
2017 safooty NFL tipping champ

Don’t lose your grip on the dreams of the past
You must fight just to keep them alive...
Spargo
Coach

Has liked: 5457 times
Been liked: 5089 times
Grassroots Team: Sacred Heart OC

Postby woodublieve12 » Wed Nov 06, 2013 12:03 pm

bennymacca wrote:chiropractic is the biggest load of quackery that has ever been invented. they only thing they will relieve is the weight of your wallet

yeah they had nothing to do with getting my back right after i did it...done my neck in a minor car accident and i thought it was muscle related, but went to the chiro after just one sess it was alot better.
"Fellas, it’s OK to be in pain. It’s OK to hurt. It’s OK to be sad. It’s no longer OK to suffer in silence."
woodublieve12
Coach

Has liked: 3016 times
Been liked: 2384 times

Postby bennymacca » Wed Nov 06, 2013 11:30 pm

the point is there is no actual scientific basis for anything they do - if they make you feel better after, great, confirmation bias and the placebo effect work wonders.

but if you actually have issues go to a physio
bennymacca
Coach

Has liked: 2253 times
Been liked: 1803 times
Grassroots Team: Freeling

Postby gadj1976 » Thu Nov 07, 2013 6:25 am

bennymacca wrote:the point is there is no actual scientific basis for anything they do - if they make you feel better after, great, confirmation bias and the placebo effect work wonders.

Congratulations - Worst post of the year.
gadj1976
Coach

Has liked: 795 times
Been liked: 849 times

Postby Psyber » Thu Nov 07, 2013 10:47 am

bennymacca wrote:the point is there is no actual scientific basis for anything they do - if they make you feel better after, great, confirmation bias and the placebo effect work wonders.

Chiropractors often do good, just not for the reasons they are taught are how it works. The problem arises when they believe the theory and treat breast lumps or heart disease by manipulation of vertebrae for months and effective treatment is delayed thereby.

I was cured of a problem in the T2-T3 region once by my cat. I was stretching my neck on the couch end, using my body weight, when the cat leapt on to my chest from about 10 feet away. There was a crunch and my pain was gone.

After I'd patched up the bleeding holes in my chest where he had landed, I asked him how he felt about the idea of my setting him up in a clinic practising Catupuncture and Catopractic, as I saw this as a potential money spinner. (My wife who had observed the whole event was highly amused.)
Psyber
Coach

Postby dedja » Thu Nov 07, 2013 11:22 am

gadj1976 wrote:

Congratulations - Worst post of the year.

Probably not far off it.

Even though my missus is a physio, one of my daughters is currently being treated by a chiro ... horses for courses.

University degrees don't come in Cornflake packets by the way.
dedja
Coach

Next

Board index   General Talk  General Discussion