SAAFL Division 8 2014

Adelaide Footy League Talk

Who will win the Division 8 Grand FInal?

Blackwood
26%
Golden Grove
24%
Hope Valley
9%
North Haven
6%
Old Ignatians
No votes
Prince Alfred OC
12%
Payneham-Norwood Union
12%
Salisbury
3%
Tea Tree Gully
6%
Wingfield Royals
3%

Total votes : 34

Re: SAAFL Division 8 2014

Postby Neverwasgood » Sat May 17, 2014 7:36 pm

Good hit out at North Haven today in the c grade. Great bunch of guys that play tough footy. They will certainly rattle the top sides on their day. The only downer today was their coach, biggest knob I've seen in a while. Even the players were trying to tell him to shut up. But overall a good day.
Neverwasgood

Has liked: 12 times
Been liked: 4 times
Grassroots Team: Payneham NU

Postby The Dark Knight » Sat May 17, 2014 8:36 pm

Neverwasgood wrote:Good hit out at North Haven today in the c grade. Great bunch of guys that play tough footy. They will certainly rattle the top sides on their day. The only downer today was their coach, biggest knob I've seen in a while. Even the players were trying to tell him to shut up. But overall a good day.

Lol I'm not surprised to read this, Ryan is a passionate fella and does carry on a bit sometimes in the heat of the battle.
The Dark Knight
Coach

Has liked: 10298 times
Been liked: 1516 times
Grassroots Team: North Haven

Postby TEX07 » Sun May 18, 2014 10:05 am

heater31 wrote:
Hefty wrote:
S Demon wrote:What makes you say that, out of interest?

Playing football at 10 o'clock in the morning does not appeal to me. It's hard enough getting D grade players playing at 12 o'clock......

Same reason why I didn't like playing Triples. I did my time playing morning football when I was a kid.

I agree - the early start is terrible - I get why clubs request them but cause all sorts of issues for us yesterday - we had guys unavailable due to work - guys turning up late, made to a horrible start to our game - we got spanked though - the time of day had F-All to do with it. Didnt help that or 10:15 game was at CLG - long drive on an early saturday morning.
hola acabo de hacer que el yo se resuelve lo que este los medios en español
TEX07
League Bench Warmer

Has liked: 140 times
Been liked: 49 times
Grassroots Team: Golden Grove

Postby S Demon » Mon May 26, 2014 12:29 pm

Its a bit of a tricky situation and not ideal at the moment, but here's the facts:

The D grade coach approached the committee towards the end of last year and asked if he could put together a D grade side with a bunch of mates who mostly either haven't played for a few years or were currently playing lower level football at other clubs. The committee agreed that we should go down this path to increase the number of patrons at the club, as well as put us on par with the surrounding strong N/E clubs who all have 4-5 teams (TTG, Modbury, GG). They also had a sponsor already on board to buy them new jumpers

A side effect to having a new D grade is that our traditionally competitive C grade has been elevated into a very strong Div 8 competition. To further add to it, at least 12 regular C graders from the last 2-3 years decided late into the summer to hang the boots up for a number of different reasons. Something that Im sure other clubs can attest to this year. Add to that a large number of injuries in all grades, and the depth of our club has been tested. In hindsight, we could have put the D grade side (who have all come together to play) as the C grade side at the start of the year and the results for the C grade might be slightly different. Although I am fairly certain however that with the players GG had running around in their C grade on saturday, they probably would have beaten the D grade side we fielded and most likely even our B grade.

We thought with a number of kids coming up this year, the C grade side would still fill a competitive side. Another 2 x key C grade players took off overseas recently (returning soon) so the core group from 2013 is basically non existent and something we didn't see coming. The side will improve after the bye with any luck and hopefully so will their results.

I definitely wouldn't say the D grade are sandbagging. If we pick the best 25 and then the rest play D grade, we run the risk of most or all of those blokes that came to play together being split up and then not playing at all and losing our D grade side completely, stuffing around Div 8R and adding another bye to the fixture as well copping any financial penalties from the league.

We took a punt on getting up a D grade side which has brought at least 40 new blokes into the club (and let me tell you, those boys don't mind spending a bit over the bar and easily outnumbered GG players in their clubrooms after both games were finished) so from that perspective it has been a success. Not many of them train consistently either, whereas the C grade boys do train and warrant their spot. Just because there is some talent in the D grade, doesn't mean they should be playing C grade. A bloke who trains twice a week should be picked before someone who doesn't train at all, regardless of ability. #17 for example in your C grade would walk into most A grade midfield's at any club in any division. But he works and can't train. He's getting a gig before other blokes who might be training two nights a week and still playing D grade. I don't necessarily agree with that, but I'm not involved at GG and it has nothing to do with me

This whole D grade venture has been a learning experience for us and we having ongoing discussions about what to do in 2015 if we continue to have a D grade side. We will look at all options, including having this group all play together in the C grade. But then I'm sure Hefty you will still complain about them sandbagging in that grade too, because there is probably at least 5 x players who could play A grade if they were committed and actually wanted to play a higher level. I don't think we're the only club in SA who has some talent playing lower grade football
S Demon
Assistant Coach

Has liked: 312 times
Been liked: 370 times
Grassroots Team: Hope Valley

Postby Trader » Mon May 26, 2014 6:04 pm

% of 56? Must be sandbagging...
Danny Southern telling Plugga he's fat, I'd like to see that!
Trader
Assistant Coach

Has liked: 60 times
Been liked: 794 times

Postby Boosh » Mon May 26, 2014 9:27 pm

S Demon wrote:Its a bit of a tricky situation and not ideal at the moment, but here's the facts:

The D grade coach approached the committee towards the end of last year and asked if he could put together a D grade side with a bunch of mates who mostly either haven't played for a few years or were currently playing lower level football at other clubs. The committee agreed that we should go down this path to increase the number of patrons at the club, as well as put us on par with the surrounding strong N/E clubs who all have 4-5 teams (TTG, Modbury, GG). They also had a sponsor already on board to buy them new jumpers

A side effect to having a new D grade is that our traditionally competitive C grade has been elevated into a very strong Div 8 competition. To further add to it, at least 12 regular C graders from the last 2-3 years decided late into the summer to hang the boots up for a number of different reasons. Something that Im sure other clubs can attest to this year. Add to that a large number of injuries in all grades, and the depth of our club has been tested. In hindsight, we could have put the D grade side (who have all come together to play) as the C grade side at the start of the year and the results for the C grade might be slightly different. Although I am fairly certain however that with the players GG had running around in their C grade on saturday, they probably would have beaten the D grade side we fielded and most likely even our B grade.

We thought with a number of kids coming up this year, the C grade side would still fill a competitive side. Another 2 x key C grade players took off overseas recently (returning soon) so the core group from 2013 is basically non existent and something we didn't see coming. The side will improve after the bye with any luck and hopefully so will their results.

I definitely wouldn't say the D grade are sandbagging. If we pick the best 25 and then the rest play D grade, we run the risk of most or all of those blokes that came to play together being split up and then not playing at all and losing our D grade side completely, stuffing around Div 8R and adding another bye to the fixture as well copping any financial penalties from the league.

We took a punt on getting up a D grade side which has brought at least 40 new blokes into the club (and let me tell you, those boys don't mind spending a bit over the bar and easily outnumbered GG players in their clubrooms after both games were finished) so from that perspective it has been a success. Not many of them train consistently either, whereas the C grade boys do train and warrant their spot. Just because there is some talent in the D grade, doesn't mean they should be playing C grade. A bloke who trains twice a week should be picked before someone who doesn't train at all, regardless of ability. #17 for example in your C grade would walk into most A grade midfield's at any club in any division. But he works and can't train. He's getting a gig before other blokes who might be training two nights a week and still playing D grade. I don't necessarily agree with that, but I'm not involved at GG and it has nothing to do with me

This whole D grade venture has been a learning experience for us and we having ongoing discussions about what to do in 2015 if we continue to have a D grade side. We will look at all options, including having this group all play together in the C grade. But then I'm sure Hefty you will still complain about them sandbagging in that grade too, because there is probably at least 5 x players who could play A grade if they were committed and actually wanted to play a higher level. I don't think we're the only club in SA who has some talent playing lower grade football

These issues are almost identical to what North Haven has faced since starting a D Grade. We seem to have got the balance write this year and hopefully it can be maintained. Being similar sized clubs that predominately play in divisions 4 and 5, it is interesting how our lower grades are following a similar pattern.
We decided to move to four sides the season after our C Grades played in the GF against each other and our Cs have struggled in that grade but have improved significantly since that season and are a far better side then they were that season.
Make of that what you will but I think you will find a similar result if you stick at it.
I have a problem. It's to do with the little man, the squashed-in French man, the naked little squashed up hairy boy! You know! With the hand feet
*I apologise to Hope Valley people in advance, no offence intended
Boosh
League Bench Warmer

Has liked: 256 times
Been liked: 192 times
Grassroots Team: North Haven

Postby Neverwasgood » Sun Jun 15, 2014 10:36 am

A couple of good wins by PNU yesterday. Not sure if TTG were missing any, but a good performance anyway.
Neverwasgood

Been liked: 4 times
Grassroots Team: Payneham NU

Postby Trader » Sun Jun 15, 2014 1:04 pm

Trader wrote:% of 56? Must be sandbagging...

12, 10 and 28 goal victories over the last three weeks while the C's remain winless. I hate to say it, but the Sandbagging case is growing.
Trader
Assistant Coach

Postby Road to Glory » Sun Jun 15, 2014 3:20 pm

Trader wrote:

12, 10 and 28 goal victories over the last three weeks while the C's remain winless. I hate to say it, but the Sandbagging case is growing.

Maybe we should wait to see what happens over the next two weeks when they actually play good teams, they've played very poor teams recently.
Road to Glory
Rookie

Been liked: 5 times
Grassroots Team: Lucindale

Postby Q. » Sun Jun 15, 2014 3:44 pm

Road to Glory wrote:
Trader wrote:

Maybe we should wait to see what happens over the next two weeks when they actually play good teams, they've played very poor teams recently.

Yeah, that Kuhar bloke only kicks goals against the shit teams.
Q.
Coach

Has liked: 970 times
Been liked: 2396 times
Grassroots Team: Houghton Districts

Postby TEX07 » Sun Jun 15, 2014 4:47 pm

Road to Glory wrote:
Trader wrote:

They beat Old Iggies by 10 goals and they are third - I would say that makes them a better than most team.

Truth is in Div 8 res so far PAC and Hope Valley IMO are easily the best two teams - PAC are also top in Div 8, Div 2 Res and third in Div 2 - hardly can say they are doing anything but playing their 4th best side in Div8r. Hope Valley are bottom in Div 8 and IMO could easily swap their C and D grade around and be more than competitive in both.
I have been in a D grade side where we had the same issue a few years back - we had an ordinary C grade and D grade was top up till last round - we bottomed out in the finals and didnt make the GF. definitely guys could have played C grade but for whatever reason chose not too (myself included). Its not the best look for any club and must admit felt pretty guilty when we were winning games and getting good numbers and the C grade were doing call around on a Thursday night. Given the time again I think we should have been pushing all the guys up that were good enough - a club moves no-where winning D grade flags. I will say when we lost and had no-one else to pick from except the guys who played all year - bodies got old and tired by finals and without sides above still able to filter numbers back through dropping players etc - we were slightly exposed, unless Hope Valley have good numbers and guys missing out each week this could also be a problem - PAC always seem to be able to fill a full bench of 25 - and when they all can run its a pretty tough task.
TEX07
League Bench Warmer

Postby Trader » Sun Jun 15, 2014 5:06 pm

Road to Glory wrote:
Trader wrote:

I would have thought at at the half way mark when they have played everyone once it would be a good time to look at it.
C's 0-8, D's 7-1.
Trader
Assistant Coach

Postby S Demon » Sun Jun 15, 2014 11:47 pm

I'm glad you're all so concerned with our C and D grade. I'm not. I'm focused on our A grade winning more games in Div 4 and hopefully playing finals in our 2nd year in that division after promotion.

There's probably 6-8 guys in our D grade who could potentially play A grade if they actually trained and wanted to. Fact is, the D grade get maybe 5-6 at training each week. The C grade are struggling, but they are getting at least 15 blokes on the track week in week out. So you lot want us to pick blokes who show very little interest during the week ahead of the guys who are genuinely trying to improve and work hard to get better?

I don't need to defend our D grade anymore. They are a great bunch of blokes and have been great for our club. At the start of the year we worried about both sides being competitive in Div 8. I'd go into more details about how they are short most Thursday nights and drag blokes from here there and everywhere, but what would be the point? You all know better anyway!

Maybe next year we'll look at swapping the 2 sides around, then you can all bitch and moan about Hope Valley playing all their C graders in Div 8R and sandbagging!
S Demon
Assistant Coach

Postby marbles » Mon Jun 16, 2014 12:17 am

as mentioned above earlier, the new dgrade side was created by a coach who brought a heap of past players in that havent been playing for a while. therefore that says it all these men are just there to play with each other and for the man (coach) who drew them there. playing cgrade is in none of their ambitions

without this in mind, my initial thoughts would be.....

whats so unappealing about playing cgrade in div 8? its not like div 7 where your thirds have to play agraders such as smithfield, or houghton or north pines, or ingle farm (in previous years)

its c-grade vs cgrade? its hardly difficult

BUT with their coming together at the start of the season it was always dgrade and only dgrade for these old fart crumpets
marbles
Assistant Coach

Has liked: 275 times
Been liked: 258 times

Postby TEX07 » Mon Jun 16, 2014 9:01 am

S Demon wrote:I'm glad you're all so concerned with our C and D grade. I'm not. I'm focused on our A grade winning more games in Div 4 and hopefully playing finals in our 2nd year in that division after promotion.

There's probably 6-8 guys in our D grade who could potentially play A grade if they actually trained and wanted to. Fact is, the D grade get maybe 5-6 at training each week. The C grade are struggling, but they are getting at least 15 blokes on the track week in week out. So you lot want us to pick blokes who show very little interest during the week ahead of the guys who are genuinely trying to improve and work hard to get better?

I don't need to defend our D grade anymore. They are a great bunch of blokes and have been great for our club. At the start of the year we worried about both sides being competitive in Div 8. I'd go into more details about how they are short most Thursday nights and drag blokes from here there and everywhere, but what would be the point? You all know better anyway!

Maybe next year we'll look at swapping the 2 sides around, then you can all bitch and moan about Hope Valley playing all their C graders in Div 8R and sandbagging!

What you said right there IMO is a problem for your club. If there are 6-8 guys playing in D grade that could play A grade then you would have guys above playing in grades where they might not normally. This says to me these guys are doing nothing for your club, they are there for a particular team to chase some glory, as I mentioned before we had a D grade a few years back where a number of us could have/should have been playing C grade, but none of us would have been a look in for B grade let alone A grade. It's happening more and more at clubs now days, guys don't/can't or won't commit to at least one night on the track so they can play where they want to play, not just your club. If your only getting around 21 on the track for two sides (and trust me we don't get much more) it will be a concern come finals. I'm not a fan of the term sandbagging, when I played in our D grade that year we were thrown the same tag - personally I wasn't doing it for any extra chance of glory, I was 32 and heavy (I'm still one of these ;) now). At the end of the day it is what it is and to be honest, half way through if these guys won't play or commit to higher grades then the lowest grade is where they should play, I agree with you that you have to reward the guys that are on the track. I seriously think that the fitness or lack of by not training come end of year will bring it all in line.
TEX07
League Bench Warmer

Postby marbles » Mon Jun 16, 2014 11:22 am

S-Demon was meaning Div-8 agrade champ :)
marbles
Assistant Coach

Has liked: 275 times
Been liked: 258 times

Postby TEX07 » Mon Jun 16, 2014 11:03 pm

marbles wrote:S-Demon was meaning Div-8 agrade champ :)

Sorry? pretty sure he was talking about 6-8 guys in his D grade that could play A grade still. I only really know that Kuhar could easily play A grade at Hope Valley, I dont know enough about the others to make a judgement to be honeset when they beat us it was guys that would probably only push up to the C grade that hurt us - I dont know anyone who would refer to their C grade side as a Div 8 - A grade? But if S-Demon was refering to his C grade I stand corrected.
TEX07
League Bench Warmer

Postby S Demon » Wed Jun 18, 2014 11:13 pm

TEX07 wrote:

Sorry? pretty sure he was talking about 6-8 guys in his D grade that could play A grade still. I only really know that Kuhar could easily play A grade at Hope Valley, I dont know enough about the others to make a judgement to be honeset when they beat us it was guys that would probably only push up to the C grade that hurt us - I dont know anyone who would refer to their C grade side as a Div 8 - A grade? But if S-Demon was refering to his C grade I stand corrected.

Nah I was taking about our A grade. A club only has one A grade.

Some of these guys have played Div 1. Some have played A grade for us in the past. Nearly ALL of them didn't play footy for us at all last year, including the ex A graders.

Let's also not forget the 4 x blokes who are 41, 42, 43 and 45. Pugliese x 2, Hawkins and Kulpe. Another bloke who's 39 hasn't played footy since he was in primary school. I hate the term sandbagging and that's certainly not what's happening. If they fall over in the finals like you suggested they will do the same thing they do every other week. Buy a shitload of beer over the bar and have a good time together...
S Demon
Assistant Coach

Postby TEX07 » Thu Jun 19, 2014 3:23 pm

S Demon wrote:
TEX07 wrote:

Nah I was taking about our A grade. A club only has one A grade.

Some of these guys have played Div 1. Some have played A grade for us in the past. Nearly ALL of them didn't play footy for us at all last year, including the ex A graders.

Let's also not forget the 4 x blokes who are 41, 42, 43 and 45. Pugliese x 2, Hawkins and Kulpe. Another bloke who's 39 hasn't played footy since he was in primary school. I hate the term sandbagging and that's certainly not what's happening. If they fall over in the finals like you suggested they will do the same thing they do every other week. Buy a shitload of beer over the bar and have a good time together...

I agree with the term sandbagging is not a fav of mine either. IMO PAC are still theside o beat and I'm by no means wishing you fall over come finals (uness of course we lift and sneak in and play you ;) )was really just mentioning it as it is what hurt us when in a similar situation a few years back and was labeled with the same tag. As I said you smacked us and your better players on that game were not ones who would push up any higher than C grade.
TEX07
League Bench Warmer

Postby Hefty » Mon Jul 07, 2014 11:21 am

Prince Alfred......WOW!! I have never seen a team in the D grade comp run so much. They have plenty of youth on their side (which helps) but as soon as they got the footy they had 3-4 runners just bolting up field. We had a good month of footy going into the game (winning our last 3 games) and thought we would be at least competitive against the top side but they just ran all over us. Doesn't help when we had one on the bench for the whole game.......the joys of D grade footy.

IMO, PAOC won't lose another game for the year including the GF.
Hefty
League Bench Warmer

Has liked: 133 times
Been liked: 110 times

PreviousNext

Board index   Football  Other Footy Leagues  Adelaide Footy League