SAAFL Division 8 2014

Adelaide Footy League Talk

Who will win the Division 8 Grand FInal?

Blackwood
26%
Golden Grove
24%
Hope Valley
9%
North Haven
6%
Old Ignatians
No votes
Prince Alfred OC
12%
Payneham-Norwood Union
12%
Salisbury
3%
Tea Tree Gully
6%
Wingfield Royals
3%

Total votes : 34

Re: SAAFL Division 8 2014

Postby jo172 » Mon Aug 04, 2014 4:35 pm

Definitely been the big improvers in the second half of the year.

Move the ball well, good bunch of blokes. Probably the most structurally sound/gameplan oriented of the teams outside the top two.
jo172
League - Top 5

Has liked: 1198 times
Been liked: 724 times

Postby zedman » Mon Aug 04, 2014 4:37 pm

jo172 wrote:Definitely been the big improvers in the second half of the year.

Move the ball well, good bunch of blokes. Probably the most structurally sound/gameplan oriented of the teams outside the top two.

thanks jo and road to glory..good to hear they are conducting themselves well..lets see how they go in 2 weeks time..
zedman
Coach

Has liked: 1079 times
Been liked: 387 times

Postby Jimmy_041 » Mon Aug 04, 2014 4:38 pm

Q. wrote:
wristwatcher wrote:Perhaps PAC might need to qualify an enforcer like say.. "Peter Carter" to come out and play a power forward type role to free up the young quick legs of his beloved Reds. :D

His forehead glare is his secret weapon.

Jimmy_041
Coach

Has liked: 718 times
Been liked: 1072 times
Grassroots Team: Prince Alfred OC

Postby TEX07 » Tue Aug 05, 2014 8:35 am

I agree with all - CLG were quite a professional outfit IMO. I also found them to be a decent bunch of blokes on the field - the mids were not as fast as a PAC or HV side IMO but they are really smart, thier ruck was the best I have seen this year and gave his mids first use all the time. Well drilled and being CLGs third side does help against the PAC and HV sides - I think that the SAAFL got it right in putting CLGs C grade in Div8R this year, if they were up in Div8 they would go OK but not near the top 3-4 sides from what I have seen. I think the flag will come from either of these three sides - PNU are just that little bit older and lack the pace these guys do, TTG are almost the opposite - got a couple of good older heads but a lot of younger guys who lack the experience come finals and Old Igs, I only played them once and they got us on the siren in that game but (no disrespect intended) were not as hard at the ball as the other 5 sides and will struggle. With a couple of sides still fighting for that last two spots keeps it interesting in the last couple of rounds, well for those sides anyway ;)
hola acabo de hacer que el yo se resuelve lo que este los medios en español
TEX07
League Bench Warmer

Has liked: 140 times
Been liked: 49 times
Grassroots Team: Golden Grove

Postby jo172 » Tue Aug 05, 2014 9:04 am

TEX07 wrote:I agree with all - CLG were quite a professional outfit IMO. I also found them to be a decent bunch of blokes on the field - the mids were not as fast as a PAC or HV side IMO but they are really smart, thier ruck was the best I have seen this year and gave his mids first use all the time. Well drilled and being CLGs third side does help against the PAC and HV sides - I think that the SAAFL got it right in putting CLGs C grade in Div8R this year, if they were up in Div8 they would go OK but not near the top 3-4 sides from what I have seen. I think the flag will come from either of these three sides - PNU are just that little bit older and lack the pace these guys do, TTG are almost the opposite - got a couple of good older heads but a lot of younger guys who lack the experience come finals and Old Igs, I only played them once and they got us on the siren in that game but (no disrespect intended) were not as hard at the ball as the other 5 sides and will struggle. With a couple of sides still fighting for that last two spots keeps it interesting in the last couple of rounds, well for those sides anyway ;)

On the League's little ladder predictor I have the difference between 4th and 6th coming down to percentage in C's and D's
jo172
League - Top 5

Has liked: 1198 times
Been liked: 724 times

Postby wristwatcher » Tue Aug 05, 2014 9:34 am

zedman wrote:so it looks like the GF teams have been decided already! :)

how have the opposition found the CLG C grade?..we managed to get into 3rd spot after saturdays win..the team has only been going for just over a year and we are really proud of what they have achieved so far..can they match it all with the 2 top sides or are they just making up the numbers?

I saw CLG play a few weeks back and personally played against them in round 9 and 18 last year. Any team that can hold me to 6 goals clearly has a good full back and CHB ;) they were too good for us and represented your club well. Thoroughly deserving the win. First game of competitive sport I have watched John "Butters" O'Leary play and not get injured in about 2 years. I think you call him Potato or Irish or something clever.

Not a bad spot to be if you have a double chance going into finals with no one expecting you to be there come GF day.
The PNU Falcs 2005,06,13 x 2,14 and Div 1 Premiers in 2019......The SA 3peat - 2003,04,05
wristwatcher
Coach

Has liked: 13 times
Been liked: 845 times

Postby wristwatcher » Tue Aug 05, 2014 9:38 am

wristwatcher wrote:This has been really entertaining today but not that conducive to me getting any work done on a Monday.

The funniest part of this entire thread is when someone said that the big danger from PAC in finals is Bilyk. Surely you are not referring to "Hot Dogs" Harry Bilyk. If that's what HV need to look out for I suggest they make room in the cabinet now.

I would have thought the overall pace and run on a hopefully warm day and fast deck at a neutral venue with neutral umpires would make the contest a little closer than the forgone conclusion that I see in Div 8R. Perhaps PAC might need to qualify an enforcer like say.. "Peter Carter" to come out and play a power forward type role to free up the young quick legs of his beloved Reds. :D

estimated time of reply ; 6 minutes :)

Last night I was contacted by one of the kids I used to coach at PAC and he asked me to make a correction as I'm clearly out the loop. The Goal kicking artist formerly known as "Hot Dogs" Harry Bilyk is simply now referred to as "Poopsie" Bilyk. This is a true story :shock:
The PNU Falcs 2005,06,13 x 2,14 and Div 1 Premiers in 2019......The SA 3peat - 2003,04,05
wristwatcher
Coach

Has liked: 13 times
Been liked: 845 times

Postby S Demon » Tue Aug 05, 2014 11:27 am

Hefty wrote:
S Demon wrote:The only decision our club made was to bring on a 5th side with a whole group of mates wanting to play together. If they won a few games, that would be a bonus. Their results are not from a committee decision to try and have D grade success. What there results would be was unknown in November 2013 when we deicded to run with it the side

The fact is, if we didn't get a D grade up and running, from what you have all said, our C grade would have struggled anyway if they are that bad.

The D grade coach spends thursday night, friday afternoon and saturday morning trying to get players and they've had over 50 different players. The main difference is, Bundy has the ability to pull really good footballers out of nowhere and get them to have a kick. Those blokes he gets aren't going to play C grade because we aren't going to pick someone we've never even seen before

Take Jim Morrisson as an example. He trained twice in 2012 to play A grade and did his knee at the snakepit. Never saw him again.
The D grade coach is good mates with him and has tried all year to get him to play. Eventually he talked him into it. Jim has played the last few games and is a really good player. But other than for 2 hours on a saturday, we dont see him. Should he instead be playing C grade or even B grade for us because he is good enough to? I think you know the answer. There's a lot more with similar J Morrisson stories in the D grade. Not forgetting a third of the side is either in the 37-45 years bracket

The D Grade was not put in to try and win a flag with a stacked side that you all keep alluding to. Their success from a committee point of view is measured differently to ladder position. Our sole focus is to try and win an A grade flag and keep pushing up the divisions. I would hate for Hefty to be annoyed for too much longer. Although I can understand how being the ONLY coach at GG not to beat HV this year out of all 5 grades would be quite annoying for him..

And, I thought reading all those Tommy Haffey books about coaching would hold me in good stead..........I was wrong!!

Anywho, one week left for our D grade then we can do what we do best - sink copious amounts of red cans and tell everyone how good we use to be.

Just a question, but why doesn't HV have a fence running along the side of the oval between the two coaches boxes?? One of our players was pushed over the boundary line and ended up slipping on the bitumen and breaking his wrist. Seems a little dangerous not having something to slow up players if they go over the boundary......

We actually used to have bench seats there and we removed them because they were even more dangerous than it is now. We are aware of the issue and have lobbied the council to get some fencing put up. Perhaps all the money has been spent at other clubs in the area with two ovals?
Seriously though, if you are genuinely concerned, please raise the issue with the council. It will help our cause to get it fixed
S Demon
Assistant Coach

Has liked: 312 times
Been liked: 370 times
Grassroots Team: Hope Valley

Postby Johno6 » Tue Aug 05, 2014 12:17 pm

You really sound like a bitter old man S Demon
R.I.P Mum 28/02/12

Asterix Users - Squibs
Johno6
Coach

Has liked: 344 times
Been liked: 604 times

Postby S Demon » Tue Aug 05, 2014 12:31 pm

Johno6 wrote:You really sound like a bitter old man S Demon

Why, because I want to get the problem fixed?
S Demon
Assistant Coach

Postby Hefty » Tue Aug 05, 2014 12:36 pm

S Demon wrote:
Hefty wrote:
S Demon wrote:The only decision our club made was to bring on a 5th side with a whole group of mates wanting to play together. If they won a few games, that would be a bonus. Their results are not from a committee decision to try and have D grade success. What there results would be was unknown in November 2013 when we deicded to run with it the side

The fact is, if we didn't get a D grade up and running, from what you have all said, our C grade would have struggled anyway if they are that bad.

The D grade coach spends thursday night, friday afternoon and saturday morning trying to get players and they've had over 50 different players. The main difference is, Bundy has the ability to pull really good footballers out of nowhere and get them to have a kick. Those blokes he gets aren't going to play C grade because we aren't going to pick someone we've never even seen before

Take Jim Morrisson as an example. He trained twice in 2012 to play A grade and did his knee at the snakepit. Never saw him again.
The D grade coach is good mates with him and has tried all year to get him to play. Eventually he talked him into it. Jim has played the last few games and is a really good player. But other than for 2 hours on a saturday, we dont see him. Should he instead be playing C grade or even B grade for us because he is good enough to? I think you know the answer. There's a lot more with similar J Morrisson stories in the D grade. Not forgetting a third of the side is either in the 37-45 years bracket

The D Grade was not put in to try and win a flag with a stacked side that you all keep alluding to. Their success from a committee point of view is measured differently to ladder position. Our sole focus is to try and win an A grade flag and keep pushing up the divisions. I would hate for Hefty to be annoyed for too much longer. Although I can understand how being the ONLY coach at GG not to beat HV this year out of all 5 grades would be quite annoying for him..

And, I thought reading all those Tommy Haffey books about coaching would hold me in good stead..........I was wrong!!

Anywho, one week left for our D grade then we can do what we do best - sink copious amounts of red cans and tell everyone how good we use to be.

Just a question, but why doesn't HV have a fence running along the side of the oval between the two coaches boxes?? One of our players was pushed over the boundary line and ended up slipping on the bitumen and breaking his wrist. Seems a little dangerous not having something to slow up players if they go over the boundary......

We actually used to have bench seats there and we removed them because they were even more dangerous than it is now. We are aware of the issue and have lobbied the council to get some fencing put up. Perhaps all the money has been spent at other clubs in the area with two ovals?
Seriously though, if you are genuinely concerned, please raise the issue with the council. It will help our cause to get it fixed

We will raise this issue with the council the next time we speak to them about lights for our second oval.
Hefty
League Bench Warmer

Has liked: 133 times
Been liked: 110 times

Postby Johno6 » Tue Aug 05, 2014 12:38 pm

S Demon wrote:
Johno6 wrote:You really sound like a bitter old man S Demon

Why, because I want to get the problem fixed?

of course, that is exactly why.............
R.I.P Mum 28/02/12

Asterix Users - Squibs
Johno6
Coach

Postby S Demon » Tue Aug 05, 2014 1:11 pm

You're not the only club in the area with two ovals
S Demon
Assistant Coach

Postby Johno6 » Tue Aug 05, 2014 1:39 pm

I don't remember ever saying we were?
R.I.P Mum 28/02/12

Asterix Users - Squibs
Johno6
Coach

Postby zedman » Tue Aug 05, 2014 1:52 pm

TEX07 wrote:I agree with all - CLG were quite a professional outfit IMO. I also found them to be a decent bunch of blokes on the field - the mids were not as fast as a PAC or HV side IMO but they are really smart, thier ruck was the best I have seen this year and gave his mids first use all the time. Well drilled and being CLGs third side does help against the PAC and HV sides - I think that the SAAFL got it right in putting CLGs C grade in Div8R this year, if they were up in Div8 they would go OK but not near the top 3-4 sides from what I have seen. I think the flag will come from either of these three sides - PNU are just that little bit older and lack the pace these guys do, TTG are almost the opposite - got a couple of good older heads but a lot of younger guys who lack the experience come finals and Old Igs, I only played them once and they got us on the siren in that game but (no disrespect intended) were not as hard at the ball as the other 5 sides and will struggle. With a couple of sides still fighting for that last two spots keeps it interesting in the last couple of rounds, well for those sides anyway ;)

thanks tex..we did feel a bit guilty about you guys and salisbury, valleys and TTG having to travel to CLG for a 10.15 start but thats what was set up at the start of the year in regards to home games..the ruck is very handy..but doesnt like to train!
zedman
Coach

Postby zedman » Tue Aug 05, 2014 1:55 pm

wristwatcher wrote:
zedman wrote:so it looks like the GF teams have been decided already! :)

how have the opposition found the CLG C grade?..we managed to get into 3rd spot after saturdays win..the team has only been going for just over a year and we are really proud of what they have achieved so far..can they match it all with the 2 top sides or are they just making up the numbers?

I saw CLG play a few weeks back and personally played against them in round 9 and 18 last year. Any team that can hold me to 6 goals clearly has a good full back and CHB ;) they were too good for us and represented your club well. Thoroughly deserving the win. First game of competitive sport I have watched John "Butters" O'Leary play and not get injured in about 2 years. I think you call him Potato or Irish or something clever.

Not a bad spot to be if you have a double chance going into finals with no one expecting you to be there come GF day.

cheers TJ.."irish" is also my runner when he doesnt get concussed in the early game! :)
zedman
Coach

Postby Road to Glory » Tue Aug 05, 2014 1:57 pm

zedman wrote:

thanks tex..we did feel a bit guilty about you guys and salisbury, valleys and TTG having to travel to CLG for a 10.15 start but thats what was set up at the start of the year in regards to home games..the ruck is very handy..but doesnt like to train!

I'm looking forward to the ruck duel when jones v clg ruckman both very talented and yet to play against each other
Road to Glory
Rookie

Has liked: 12 times
Been liked: 5 times
Grassroots Team: Lucindale

Postby TEX07 » Tue Aug 05, 2014 2:11 pm

zedman wrote:

It is what it is mate - when you have the three sides you need to maximise your support staff - was a really early start to the day but we got smacked and would have happened at 12:15 just the same!

There are large amounts of guys who play in this Div8/8R that cant/dont or wont train that if they did would play much higher - we have a few in ours also so its not a dig at anyone - just something I have noticed over the last few years.
hola acabo de hacer que el yo se resuelve lo que este los medios en español
TEX07
League Bench Warmer

Has liked: 140 times
Been liked: 49 times

Postby S Demon » Tue Aug 05, 2014 2:40 pm

Johno6 wrote:I don't remember ever saying we were?

Well then what were you referring too when you called me a bitter old man?

Maybe you took my post the wrong way? I genuinely want to get a fence up where Hefty mentioned, but we cant just do it ourselves.
I was having a slight dig at the council, not GG.
S Demon
Assistant Coach

Postby Johno6 » Tue Aug 05, 2014 4:07 pm

you don't have to be a grumpy old man to have a dig at gg, you can have a dig at anyone and be a grump old man. ;)

but tbh I was just trying to stir things up in here again, it was being too positive the last 8 hour or so.
R.I.P Mum 28/02/12

Asterix Users - Squibs
Johno6
Coach

PreviousNext

Board index   Football  Other Footy Leagues  Adelaide Footy League