Junior Football

Adelaide Footy League Talk

Re: Junior Football

Postby cracka » Wed Apr 16, 2014 7:23 pm

Lightning McQueen wrote:
cracka wrote:
Lightning McQueen wrote:
Phantom Gossiper wrote:That's what training is for..

You haven't coached little tackers then mate. It's pretty hard to keep 20 eight year olds focussed on training drills at the same time, on game days you have to set goals for the little fella's to try and achieve and to try and reward your better players to include the lesser players in their plays.
My lad's team has about 6 or 7 outstanding players and they could just keep the ball amongst themselves and score plenty of times. it's trying to make sure they get the other kids into the game that is the key.
It's like anything really, match day practice, getting the kids to have the confidence in themselves to go and get the ball in a match opposed to training.

The level 1 coaching course has nothing to do with what you have just said. It's aimed at U13's up.
An U8 coach should focus on it being fun before setting goals for the kids to achieve.

I never once mentioned level 1 coaching course, correct, it's aimed at setting up training drills and keeping records of improvements.

As for the rest, I'll agree to disagree, too many times little Johnny only plays because mum and dad want him to play, these kids slow the progression of the rest of the group.
I've coached from under 6's to seniors over the past 15 years and it's each to their own, I make it fun for the kids and they learn along the way.

I think you may have come into this half way through it as Level 1 coaching accreditation for a modis coach is the base of why I started this whole conversation.

You are probably the perfect person to answer this as you have coached modis & done the course as have I.

Should a modis coach have to do the Level 1 accreditation or is an introductory coaching accreditation sufficient. Personally I think the introductory course is sufficient as the Level 1 is aimed at U13's & up & doesn't have anything to do with coaching modis IMO.
cracka
Veteran

Has liked: 458 times
Been liked: 560 times
Grassroots Team: Onkaparinga Valley

Postby Yank Man » Wed Apr 16, 2014 11:48 pm

I've got 5 grandkids, 4 boys, 1 girl. I have never ever seen them 'play for fun', they play to win and seek guidance on how to go there. Be it on the field of sport or in the backyard. Takes a special person to direct that stuff. :D :D
Yank Man
League - Top 5

Has liked: 57 times
Been liked: 316 times
Grassroots Team: Edwardstown

Postby woodublieve12 » Thu Apr 17, 2014 9:01 am

Yank Man wrote:I've got 5 grandkids, 4 boys, 1 girl. I have never ever seen them 'play for fun', they play to win and seek guidance on how to go there. Be it on the field of sport or in the backyard. Takes a special person to direct that stuff. :D :D

So they don't enjoy playing???
"Fellas, it’s OK to be in pain. It’s OK to hurt. It’s OK to be sad. It’s no longer OK to suffer in silence."
woodublieve12
Coach

Has liked: 3016 times
Been liked: 2384 times

Postby cracka » Thu Apr 17, 2014 10:34 am

Yank Man wrote:I've got 5 grandkids, 4 boys, 1 girl. I have never ever seen them 'play for fun', they play to win and seek guidance on how to go there. Be it on the field of sport or in the backyard. Takes a special person to direct that stuff. :D :D

100% agree, the kids play to win & know exactly what the score is & who won. A modis coach however should NOT coach to win.
cracka
Veteran

Postby Lightning McQueen » Thu Apr 17, 2014 10:48 am

cracka wrote:I think you may have come into this half way through it as Level 1 coaching accreditation for a modis coach is the base of why I started this whole conversation.

You are probably the perfect person to answer this as you have coached modis & done the course as have I.

Should a modis coach have to do the Level 1 accreditation or is an introductory coaching accreditation sufficient. Personally I think the introductory course is sufficient as the Level 1 is aimed at U13's & up & doesn't have anything to do with coaching modis IMO.

No, it has no relevance, I think they just tie it all in together for convenience & generally a police clearance check is associated with it. I learnt nothing from the session and switched off when the speaker suggested teaching kids to kick with both feet is not recommended.
HOGG SHIELD DIVISION V WINNER 2018.
Lightning McQueen
Coach

Has liked: 4339 times
Been liked: 7902 times

Postby Lightning McQueen » Thu Apr 17, 2014 10:51 am

cracka wrote:

100% agree, the kids play to win & know exactly what the score is & who won. A modis coach however should NOT coach to win.

It's dog eat dog in the NEMJFA with some clubs, my lads team played their local rival last year in under 8's and if there were scores kept we were up by 3 points at 3 qtr time. My son and another kid got tagged for the last quarter so the coach moved my lad to centre half forward 2 minutes in to see if the tag was for real........................it was.
Lightning McQueen
Coach

Postby Phantom Gossiper » Thu Apr 17, 2014 11:25 am

Lightning McQueen wrote:It's dog eat dog in the NEMJFA with some clubs, my lads team played their local rival last year in under 8's and if there were scores kept we were up by 3 points at 3 qtr time. My son and another kid got tagged for the last quarter so the coach moved my lad to centre half forward 2 minutes in to see if the tag was for real........................it was.

HAHA! WTF?!? A tag in u/8's?? That's serious business!

When I was playing under 8's/9's there was obviously some serious competitiveness, and learning important aspects like manning up - i remember nothing better than running out and spending 3 min before the bounce bumping your opponent to try and prove who was the toughest :lol: - but never ever ever seen a tag!
Phantom Gossiper
Coach

Has liked: 402 times
Been liked: 285 times

Postby Lightning McQueen » Thu Apr 17, 2014 11:42 am

Phantom Gossiper wrote:
Lightning McQueen wrote:It's dog eat dog in the NEMJFA with some clubs, my lads team played their local rival last year in under 8's and if there were scores kept we were up by 3 points at 3 qtr time. My son and another kid got tagged for the last quarter so the coach moved my lad to centre half forward 2 minutes in to see if the tag was for real........................it was.

When I was playing under 8's/9's there was obviously some serious competitiveness, and learning important aspects like manning up - i remember nothing better than running out and spending 3 min before the bounce bumping your opponent to try and prove who was the toughest :lol: - but never ever ever seen a tag!

Yeah mate, it was a full on tag!!! Best thing was that he kicked 2 goals in a minute when he moved forward. I'll let you know when we play the same team this season and you can see for yourself, it will happen again. It's only a few minutes from your place.
Lightning McQueen
Coach

Postby heater31 » Thu Apr 17, 2014 11:48 am

Lightning McQueen wrote:
Phantom Gossiper wrote:

Yeah mate, it was a full on tag!!! Best thing was that he kicked 2 goals in a minute when he moved forward. I'll let you know when we play the same team this season and you can see for yourself, it will happen again. It's only a few minutes from your place.

Don't keep scores at this level yet the opposition coach feels the need to put out a tag on player :roll: junior sport has officially lost the plot :shock:

A side note if he kicked 2 goals the must have been useless :lol:
heater31

Has liked: 525 times
Been liked: 1259 times

Postby cracka » Thu Apr 17, 2014 11:54 am

heater31 wrote:
Lightning McQueen wrote:
Phantom Gossiper wrote:

Don't keep scores at this level yet the opposition coach feels the need to put out a tag on player :roll: junior sport has officially lost the plot :shock:

I was coaching U8's a few years ago & an opposition player was dominating & one of the Mums was adamant I should tag him. She get very p!ssed at me when I said its only U8's.

Apparently tagging is frowned upon (by Sturt & Norwood reps at a HFL meeting recently) in U13's as well.
cracka
Veteran

Postby Lightning McQueen » Thu Apr 17, 2014 12:05 pm

heater31 wrote:

Yeah, the 15 point gap sort of put it out of reach, it was a ripper game, the standard was exceptional. The same two teams played off the other night in the under 9's carnival at Tea Tree Gully, it was a great spectacle and advertisement for junior football.
You actually see goal umpires marking in their score cards, to believe that winning isn't important at this age is a ludicrous, especially when nanna comes out for a game or two per year and knows no better.
Lightning McQueen
Coach

Postby Lightning McQueen » Thu Apr 17, 2014 12:09 pm

We played a trial game against a MWJFL a few weeks ago, their under 9 or 10 team use rules where you can't tackle or bump, I'm not even sure that you can knock the ball out of the oppositions hands, it was a bit of overkill.
Lightning McQueen
Coach

Postby Phantom Gossiper » Thu Apr 17, 2014 12:25 pm

Lightning McQueen wrote:We played a trial game against a MWJFL a few weeks ago, their under 9 or 10 team use rules where you can't tackle or bump, I'm not even sure that you can knock the ball out of the oppositions hands, it was a bit of overkill.

When my younger brother was playing 8's tackling wasnt allowed, it was two bumps for holding the ball.

Maskes absolutely no sense to me, you play a contact sport, surely the best time to instill and teach good techniques are as a kid! Rugby League we have our mini kids u/6 tackling but aussie rules you cant? :?
Phantom Gossiper
Coach

Postby Lightning McQueen » Thu Apr 17, 2014 12:51 pm

Phantom Gossiper wrote:
Lightning McQueen wrote:We played a trial game against a MWJFL a few weeks ago, their under 9 or 10 team use rules where you can't tackle or bump, I'm not even sure that you can knock the ball out of the oppositions hands, it was a bit of overkill.

When my younger brother was playing 8's tackling wasnt allowed, it was two bumps for holding the ball.

Maskes absolutely no sense to me, you play a contact sport, surely the best time to instill and teach good techniques are as a kid! Rugby League we have our mini kids u/6 tackling but aussie rules you cant? :?

Considering there are more injuries on the big stage caused by bumps than what there is caused by tackles I agree.

They tend to sanitise the game as much as possible that they don't know what they want, under 8's there was 2 bumps last year and no tackles, under 9's this year there is no bumping and quick release tackles???????????

The worst part is, with the huge pool of umpires and this age group being a good stepping stone for developing umpires, there tends to be different interpretations each week.
Lightning McQueen
Coach

Postby Phantom Gossiper » Mon May 05, 2014 6:04 pm

I watched my first junior football game in a long time yesterday, and i've got to say the rules they implement are terrible!

The game was awful to watch and the players themselves looked confused, frustrated and disintereted, the parents also appeared very annoyed and frustrated.

No bumping, no tackling, no smothering, no standing the mark, no stripping the ball.. a kid was even penalised for getting in the way of another kid running :shock:

Not to mention awarding a "mark" if the ball slapped the hand or hit them on the chest by accident. I understand flexibility in interpretation and application of the rule, but a player surely still needs to make a legitimate effort at marking, not just be gifted it.

The zones I had no issue with, thought that was a good rule, but the rest, it was awful! What is this teaching kids about the game!? If you dont have the ball you're effectively out of the game.. geez even netball allows a degree of defensive pressure FFS!
Phantom Gossiper
Coach

Postby Tony Clifton » Mon May 05, 2014 10:27 pm

Are clubs allowed to have their own leagues with their own rules?

Does it have to be standardised?
This is Tony Clifton! A name to respect! A name to fear!
Tony Clifton
League - Top 5

Has liked: 1462 times
Been liked: 244 times
Grassroots Team: Adelaide University

Postby LaughingKookaburra » Mon May 05, 2014 10:42 pm

When I played Primary School footy year 3 couldn't tackle or bump. Year 4/5 you could touch/bump a bloke/girl twice and it was holding the ball and in year 6/7 it was normal rules but in all grades you couldn't soccer the ball.

I still remember teasing a kid on the ground in my first game and he ran up the ground and told his coach we were picking on him and the coach came back down the ground and said "if the ball ever gets down here and I hear any teasing then you all won't play next week. BOTH SIDES!

We all behaved and got on very well after that....

I actually shat myself as the coach come down the ground. Luckily I was 21.....
Can you bring a man to his feet when defeat is on repeat?
LaughingKookaburra
Coach

Has liked: 72 times
Been liked: 738 times
Grassroots Team: Kenilworth

Postby Yank Man » Mon May 05, 2014 10:49 pm

Phantom Gossiper wrote:I watched my first junior football game in a long time yesterday, and i've got to say the rules they implement are terrible!

The game was awful to watch and the players themselves looked confused, frustrated and disintereted, the parents also appeared very annoyed and frustrated.

No bumping, no tackling, no smothering, no standing the mark, no stripping the ball.. a kid was even penalised for getting in the way of another kid running :shock:

Not to mention awarding a "mark" if the ball slapped the hand or hit them on the chest by accident. I understand flexibility in interpretation and application of the rule, but a player surely still needs to make a legitimate effort at marking, not just be gifted it.

The zones I had no issue with, thought that was a good rule, but the rest, it was awful! What is this teaching kids about the game!? If you dont have the ball you're effectively out of the game.. geez even netball allows a degree of defensive pressure FFS!

That all sounds about right PG...... They are being taught how to play AFL. :D
Yank Man
League - Top 5

Has liked: 57 times
Been liked: 316 times
Grassroots Team: Edwardstown

Postby Jetters » Mon May 05, 2014 11:48 pm

Phantom Gossiper wrote:I watched my first junior football game in a long time yesterday, and i've got to say the rules they implement are terrible!

Well if you've seen 1 whole game you're probably in a good position to judge.

I would be surprised if you weren't allowed to smother or stand the mark! The others are sensible rules.

In MSJFL we have 9-a-side in the 8s and 9s and its working really really well!
Jetters
Reserves

Has liked: 106 times
Been liked: 119 times
Grassroots Team: Unley

Postby Hughesy » Mon May 05, 2014 11:58 pm

Jetters wrote:

Well if you've seen 1 whole game you're probably in a good position to judge.

I would be surprised if you weren't allowed to smother or stand the mark! The others are sensible rules.

In MSJFL we have 9-a-side in the 8s and 9s and its working really really well!

I have 2 boys playing. 1 has missed the new rules as he is in u10's but the 2nd one is just starting and I agree with PG. It has taken the natural instinct to go and get the footy away from the game as you can only get it from a turn over from no pressure??? But these are the rules given to us and they are the same for all kids. So we will just have to change the way we teach them how to get the ball. The basics of kicking, handballing and marking are still the same but will just take time to adjust to the new rules...
Hughesy

Has liked: 10 times
Been liked: 1 time
Grassroots Team: Para Hills

PreviousNext

Board index   Football  Other Footy Leagues  Adelaide Footy League