Junior Football

Adelaide Footy League Talk

Re: Junior Football

Postby jo172 » Thu May 22, 2014 9:03 am

bulldogs wrote:I'm tied up with a junior football side . Umpires at junior football are a given that you keep your mouth closed but it does become very hard. Green shirt umpires should be given every encouragement and support.
We had two orange shirts on the weekend and by gee they were pretty ordinary. They really need to know the rules of which grade there umpiring. Our match was a under 13 game and you are allowed to bounce the ball as many times as you like. The umpire picked the player up for bouncing the ball more then twice and awarded a free kick. Some very dubious frees and non frees. Had many games last year that you are left dumbfounded. Sometimes it feels like the umps are evening up the game.

I agree with you, but it must be hard when you're umpiring 5 games in a row with the rules slightly tweaking for each game. You can understand how mistakes will occasionally happen.
jo172
League - Top 5

Has liked: 1198 times
Been liked: 724 times

Postby TEX07 » Thu May 22, 2014 9:06 am

Robb_Stark wrote:UNDER 6s/7s/8s
•No Tackling
•No Deliberate Kicking Off the Ground
•No Holding, pushing, deliberate bumping, smothering, shepherding, barging
•No Knocking the ball out of opponents hands
•No player standing the mark and cannot play on from a Mark or Free Kick. MUST kick or handball

im gonna be stuffed if i get a gig in this grade :)

Have taken up coaching under 8s this year to help out as we were over full in two other under 8s and when I first read these rules along with the forward/mid/defender zones I thought this is dumb. IMO I was wrong, the zones teach kids about space and nit all chasing the ball, also gives them time when they have the ball to find a player. Kicking off the ground is out and teaches the kids to bend down and grab it -no issues here. It's really all no contact but they have made it sound more brutal by mentioning every form of contact except cuddling! Again this is working ok as the kids do have tie to work on their skills at this age which is really important.

My main issues actually the difference from one umpire to the next, I'm of the opinion if these are the rules, let me coach to them one week an umpire is relaxed on one then the next a different guy is tougher on the same, really hard to tell the kids the right way to go about it like this.
hola acabo de hacer que el yo se resuelve lo que este los medios en español
TEX07
League Bench Warmer

Has liked: 140 times
Been liked: 49 times
Grassroots Team: Golden Grove

Postby ezydoesitbigfella » Thu May 22, 2014 9:38 am

TEX07 wrote:Have taken up coaching under 8s this year to help out as we were over full in two other under 8s and when I first read these rules along with the forward/mid/defender zones I thought this is dumb. IMO I was wrong, the zones teach kids about space and nit all chasing the ball, also gives them time when they have the ball to find a player. Kicking off the ground is out and teaches the kids to bend down and grab it -no issues here. It's really all no contact but they have made it sound more brutal by mentioning every form of contact except cuddling! Again this is working ok as the kids do have tie to work on their skills at this age which is really important.

My main issues actually the difference from one umpire to the next, I'm of the opinion if these are the rules, let me coach to them one week an umpire is relaxed on one then the next a different guy is tougher on the same, really hard to tell the kids the right way to go about it like this.

First - congratulations for stepping up and helping kids have a game - appreciate that you have the right intention to help kids learn the game and develop their skills.

One umpire different from another? - one coach different from another? - one player different from another? There is a common thread? DONT expect perfection and consistency JUST from the umpires. Many of them are also learning the caper too. Just watch the AFL umpires - gee - they are changing every week too....

Wouldn't be best teaching our kids that we must learn to play the way the umpire is interpreting the game? - ABSOLUTELY he can be different from the past week(s).

I think the point here is to "forget the umpire" and the only thing to measure in U/6 - U/10's is the smile on the kids face when he leaves the game - if he's smiling - he's coming back!!!!
ezydoesitbigfella
Rookie

Has liked: 8 times
Been liked: 11 times

Postby jo172 » Thu May 22, 2014 9:48 am

ezydoesitbigfella wrote:
TEX07 wrote:Have taken up coaching under 8s this year to help out as we were over full in two other under 8s and when I first read these rules along with the forward/mid/defender zones I thought this is dumb. IMO I was wrong, the zones teach kids about space and nit all chasing the ball, also gives them time when they have the ball to find a player. Kicking off the ground is out and teaches the kids to bend down and grab it -no issues here. It's really all no contact but they have made it sound more brutal by mentioning every form of contact except cuddling! Again this is working ok as the kids do have tie to work on their skills at this age which is really important.

First - congratulations for stepping up and helping kids have a game - appreciate that you have the right intention to help kids learn the game and develop their skills.

One umpire different from another? - one coach different from another? - one player different from another? There is a common thread? DONT expect perfection and consistency JUST from the umpires. Many of them are also learning the caper too. Just watch the AFL umpires - gee - they are changing every week too....

Wouldn't be best teaching our kids that we must learn to play the way the umpire is interpreting the game? - ABSOLUTELY he can be different from the past week(s).

I think the point here is to "forget the umpire" and the only thing to measure in U/6 - U/10's is the smile on the kids face when he leaves the game - if he's smiling - he's coming back!!!!

Agree, if you're taught to play the whistle from a young age it will be greatly beneficial to them as they go on with their footy.
jo172
League - Top 5

Has liked: 1198 times
Been liked: 724 times

Postby Robb_Stark » Thu May 22, 2014 9:58 am

bulldogs wrote:I'm tied up with a junior football side . Umpires at junior football are a given that you keep your mouth closed but it does become very hard. Green shirt umpires should be given every encouragement and support.
We had two orange shirts on the weekend and by gee they were pretty ordinary. They really need to know the rules of which grade there umpiring. Our match was a under 13 game and you are allowed to bounce the ball as many times as you like. The umpire picked the player up for bouncing the ball more then twice and awarded a free kick. Some very dubious frees and non frees. Had many games last year that you are left dumbfounded. Sometimes it feels like the umps are evening up the game.

guessing by this post you have been a umpire and know everything about everything when it comes to being a umpire its easier to throw stones i guess

here is a tip a umpire will see the game from a different view point then you will my friend so what you may see on the side lines is not what actually happens but hey you wanna talk a big game become a umpire and teach the rest
Robb_Stark
League - Best 21

Has liked: 72 times
Been liked: 155 times

Postby TEX07 » Thu May 22, 2014 4:53 pm

jo172 wrote:
ezydoesitbigfella wrote:

Agree, if you're taught to play the whistle from a young age it will be greatly beneficial to them as they go on with their footy.

You misunderstood my point, as a coach I need to be able to teach/coach the players to play the game and this has to be done to a set of rules that are in place. So far this season we have played three games with three different umpires - firstly let me say they were all great, no issues but they are also confused. Game 1 the umpire was letting mids kick goals out of zone, game 2 the umpire gave a free kick against a kid if they stepped over the zone, game 3 umpire paying free kicks against for the kids having a bounce (not part of the rules but this kids understanding so we worked with him). As I said I am not having a crack at them at all, they are consistant each game for that game, its the changing of the rules from game to game - ump to ump thats difficult to work with. All the rule changes this year I actually think work - and I dont think its an interpretation issue - the rules from U6-U9 are pretty basic really. I am with you, if they walk away happy and come back I have done my job but I also think that if I teach them early to play within the rules I am also doing my job and it is just difficult when they dont always seem to be the same.
hola acabo de hacer que el yo se resuelve lo que este los medios en español
TEX07
League Bench Warmer

Has liked: 140 times
Been liked: 49 times
Grassroots Team: Golden Grove

Postby bulldogs » Thu May 22, 2014 5:01 pm

Robb_Stark wrote:

guessing by this post you have been a umpire and know everything about everything when it comes to being a umpire its easier to throw stones i guess

here is a tip a umpire will see the game from a different view point then you will my friend so what you may see on the side lines is not what actually happens but hey you wanna talk a big game become a umpire and teach the rest

I don't need tips from you my friend. I would suggest the umpires know the rules of what grade they are umpiring. Yes umpiring isn't a easy job and decisions will go against or for teams and will be seen differently from the side lines. This is not to say the umpire got it right as you suggest. I've played enough footy to know what I see and what is a free kick. I will not umpire bash from the sidelines but I will give my opinion on here.
bulldogs
League - Best 21

Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 15 times

Postby ezydoesitbigfella » Thu May 22, 2014 5:18 pm

bulldogs wrote: I don't need tips from you my friend. I would suggest the umpires know the rules of what grade they are umpiring. Yes umpiring isn't a easy job and decisions will go against or for teams and will be seen differently from the side lines. This is not to say the umpire got it right as you suggest. I've played enough footy to know what I see and what is a free kick. I will not umpire bash from the sidelines but I will give my opinion on here.

Not starting anything Bulldog, but one of the biggest problems is people "think" they know what is a free kick. Listen to any game and you will hear people screaming "baaaaaaalllll" as soon as someone with the ball is tackled - despite there being a little thing called "prior opportunity" that needs to be considered.

It is a fallacy that people who've played hundred of games "know" the rules. It simply isn't correct.

And yes, even the umpires need CONSTANT reminding of how to interpret the rules - all the way to the AFL.

Keep supporting everyone involved (and I am certain you are) - the game will survive!!
ezydoesitbigfella
Rookie

Has liked: 8 times
Been liked: 11 times

Postby bulldogs » Thu May 22, 2014 5:27 pm

ezydoesitbigfella wrote:
bulldogs wrote: I don't need tips from you my friend. I would suggest the umpires know the rules of what grade they are umpiring. Yes umpiring isn't a easy job and decisions will go against or for teams and will be seen differently from the side lines. This is not to say the umpire got it right as you suggest. I've played enough footy to know what I see and what is a free kick. I will not umpire bash from the sidelines but I will give my opinion on here.

Not starting anything Bulldog, but one of the biggest problems is people "think" they know what is a free kick. Listen to any game and you will hear people screaming "baaaaaaalllll" as soon as someone with the ball is tackled - despite there being a little thing called "prior opportunity" that needs to be considered.

It is a fallacy that people who've played hundred of games "know" the rules. It simply isn't correct.

And yes, even the umpires need CONSTANT reminding of how to interpret the rules - all the way to the AFL.

Keep supporting everyone involved (and I am certain you are) - the game will survive!!

All good. Your correct in saying just cause you played the game means you know the rules, I'm confident that I do, not saying I will always be right as I'm sure umpires aren't either. It's when the obvious decisions are missed that causes confusion amongst junior players. I always instruct the boys not to back chat umpires and to accept and get on with the game. I actually take players off for 25s and arguing , done this on Sunday when the umpire pulled a guy up for bouncing to many times ( your allowed to bounce as many times as you like in under 13s) and another player said something which resulted in a free to the opposition.
bulldogs
League - Best 21

Postby Robb_Stark » Thu May 22, 2014 5:51 pm

bulldog maybe being on the junior committee you shouldnt talk shit and the kid yelled out at the top of his lungs Bullshit so yeah you know the rules swearing at that volume would result in a free kick
Robb_Stark
League - Best 21

Postby locky801 » Thu May 22, 2014 9:03 pm

Been pretty happy with the umps this year, so far, apart from watching my lad playing in U 14's, watched an U12 game last weekend which had a young lad in a green shirt umpring obviously working with a mentor, very impressed with the lad, communicated well with the lads playing, explaining decisions etc, which i thought he got most right, actually thought he did a better job than the other guy ;)
You cant change your past but you can sure hell shape you future
locky801
Coach

Has liked: 3645 times
Been liked: 1160 times

Postby Jetters » Thu May 22, 2014 10:13 pm

bulldogs wrote:
ezydoesitbigfella wrote:

All good. Your correct in saying just cause you played the game means you know the rules, I'm confident that I do, not saying I will always be right as I'm sure umpires aren't either. It's when the obvious decisions are missed that causes confusion amongst junior players. I always instruct the boys not to back chat umpires and to accept and get on with the game. I actually take players off for 25s and arguing , done this on Sunday when the umpire pulled a guy up for bouncing to many times ( your allowed to bounce as many times as you like in under 13s) and another player said something which resulted in a free to the opposition.

As an umpire this does my head in.

Old football people just don't know the rules, particularly 'holding the ball'.
Jetters
Reserves

Has liked: 106 times
Been liked: 119 times
Grassroots Team: Unley

Postby bulldogs » Thu May 22, 2014 10:32 pm

Robb_Stark wrote:bulldog maybe being on the junior committee you shouldnt talk shit and the kid yelled out at the top of his lungs Bullshit so yeah you know the rules swearing at that volume would result in a free kick

Mate get it correct. I'm not on any junior committee and as for talking shit you would know all about this. How would you know if he yelled it out at the top of his lungs unless you umpired the game? If so did you get the decision re two bounces wrong? What the kid said certainly deserved a free kick and I don't condone this behaviour. I spoke to the lad regarding the behaviour both after the game and also at training this week to enforce to him that this is unacceptable and you must accept the umpires decision even if it is incorrect. Umpires make mistakes just like players do. He has taken this on board, he also was taken straight off the ground and spent 10 min on the bench as per team rules.
bulldogs
League - Best 21

Postby bulldogs » Thu May 22, 2014 10:39 pm

Jetters another example of umpires being just like school teachers always correct. As long as the umpire uses common sense and protects the ball player , gives him time to correctly dispose of the footy. Us old footballers just know nothing.
bulldogs
League - Best 21

Postby Jetters » Thu May 22, 2014 11:36 pm

bulldogs wrote:Jetters another example of umpires being just like school teachers always correct. As long as the umpire uses common sense and protects the ball player , gives him time to correctly dispose of the footy. Us old footballers just know nothing.

Whats bolded is exactly what I mean. That doesnt mean anything and shows you dont know the rule and that's what gives me the sh!ts.
Jetters
Reserves

Postby bulldogs » Thu May 22, 2014 11:46 pm

Jetters wrote:
bulldogs wrote:Jetters another example of umpires being just like school teachers always correct. As long as the umpire uses common sense and protects the ball player , gives him time to correctly dispose of the footy. Us old footballers just know nothing.

Whats bolded is exactly what I mean. That doesnt mean anything and shows you dont know the rule and that's what gives me the sh!ts.

There you go, your wise. It isn't meant to mean anything but common sense . I wasn't trying to relay the rule. Shits me when umpires haven't any common sense or feel for the game.
bulldogs
League - Best 21

Postby Jetters » Thu May 22, 2014 11:49 pm

bulldogs wrote:
Jetters wrote:

There you go, your wise. It isn't meant to mean anything but common sense . I wasn't trying to relay the rule. Shits me when umpires haven't any common sense or feel for the game.

??

Shits me too.
Jetters
Reserves

Postby bulldogs » Fri May 23, 2014 12:10 am

Jetters wrote:
bulldogs wrote:
Jetters wrote:

??

Shits me too.

good one jetters that cracked me up
bulldogs
League - Best 21

Postby Lightning McQueen » Fri May 23, 2014 10:27 am

jo172 wrote:
ezydoesitbigfella wrote:

Tex is right, the interpretations of the laws between umpires in the younger grades is very vast and it is extremely difficult for the kids to understand which rules will be in place each week.
It's not a matter of tougher or more lenient umpires, some have a total different perception of the rules, perhaps the NEMJFA could look at earmarking a certain pool of umpires for each junior grade so they can fully understand each age groups rules, I don't envy the task for the umpires either, it wouldn't be to administer.
HOGG SHIELD DIVISION V WINNER 2018.
Lightning McQueen
Coach

Has liked: 4339 times
Been liked: 7902 times

Postby Robb_Stark » Fri May 23, 2014 10:55 am

i did hear Stark and McQueen make a great team when they umpire together :)
Robb_Stark
League - Best 21

PreviousNext

Board index   Football  Other Footy Leagues  Adelaide Footy League