Junior Football

Adelaide Footy League Talk

Re: Junior Football

Postby Look Good In Leather » Wed May 28, 2014 11:28 pm

locky801 wrote:Can we get back on the topic, if you want an umpires discussion make a new topic ;)

Some would argue junior football has become all about umpires
Look Good In Leather
League - Best 21

Has liked: 150 times
Been liked: 284 times
Grassroots Team: Christies Beach

Postby ezydoesitbigfella » Thu May 29, 2014 12:07 am

Look Good In Leather wrote:
locky801 wrote:Can we get back on the topic, if you want an umpires discussion make a new topic ;)

No.....only you. Move on.

Topic is Junior Football.
ezydoesitbigfella
Rookie

Has liked: 8 times
Been liked: 11 times

Postby Lightning McQueen » Thu May 29, 2014 11:20 am

Pag wrote:
Lightning McQueen wrote:
ezydoesitbigfella wrote:
Lightning McQueen wrote: I wouldn't umpire in the SAAFL no matter what they paid. I do NEMJFA, SAWFL and APFL but whenever I umpire with ammo umpires I'm left bewildered.

Bewildered? How?

One of the "head" umpires of the SAAFL was observing a women's game that I was umpiring, I talk a lot while I'm umpiring, it lets the players know what I'm thinking and how I see things.
The observer came over to me at quarter time and said "You can't tell the players to knock the ball out of the packs, it's seen as onfield coaching, opposing coaches don't like it".
At the end of the game I went to shake the other umpires hand and said "well done" He pulled his hand away and said "You can't shake my hand out here in front of everyone, we'll shake hands in the rooms".
I just said "well ##$% ya then, if you're that pedantic"
He was an ammo's umpire too.

I like the country feel and you get less idiots rocking up as they tend not to want to waste their $6 by getting booted out whereas in the city you get random dickheads rock up to a game with a full esky, get maggoted and find it fun to throw as much shit at the umpire as they can, they tend to not have any real alliance with either club too.
It has nothing to do with any clubs.
I've seen you do a couple of SAWFL games this year mate, loved the way you went about it.

I've had heaps of umpires in my time give us a 'knock it out' when the ball is on the bottom of a pack. I'll never listen, I'd keep it in, but to say it's onfield coaching is just crap.

I remember the best umpire I ever had as a junior was Doug Tallboy, still umpring in the APFL, simply because he was always talking to the players.

Should've come and said "hi".

I agree, Dougy is the best umpire I've seen and it's a pleasure umpiring with him, he is a great teacher as well, I've learnt so many little things from him that make huge differences.
HOGG SHIELD DIVISION V WINNER 2018.
Lightning McQueen
Coach

Has liked: 4346 times
Been liked: 7921 times

Postby Pag » Thu May 29, 2014 11:50 am

Lightning McQueen wrote:
Pag wrote:
Lightning McQueen wrote:
ezydoesitbigfella wrote:Bewildered? How?

One of the "head" umpires of the SAAFL was observing a women's game that I was umpiring, I talk a lot while I'm umpiring, it lets the players know what I'm thinking and how I see things.
The observer came over to me at quarter time and said "You can't tell the players to knock the ball out of the packs, it's seen as onfield coaching, opposing coaches don't like it".
At the end of the game I went to shake the other umpires hand and said "well done" He pulled his hand away and said "You can't shake my hand out here in front of everyone, we'll shake hands in the rooms".
I just said "well ##$% ya then, if you're that pedantic"
He was an ammo's umpire too.

I like the country feel and you get less idiots rocking up as they tend not to want to waste their $6 by getting booted out whereas in the city you get random dickheads rock up to a game with a full esky, get maggoted and find it fun to throw as much shit at the umpire as they can, they tend to not have any real alliance with either club too.
It has nothing to do with any clubs.
I've seen you do a couple of SAWFL games this year mate, loved the way you went about it.

I've had heaps of umpires in my time give us a 'knock it out' when the ball is on the bottom of a pack. I'll never listen, I'd keep it in, but to say it's onfield coaching is just crap.

I remember the best umpire I ever had as a junior was Doug Tallboy, still umpring in the APFL, simply because he was always talking to the players.

Should've come and said "hi".

I agree, Dougy is the best umpire I've seen and it's a pleasure umpiring with him, he is a great teacher as well, I've learnt so many little things from him that make huge differences.
I worked with and under Doug in the CDJFL as well, while I was at Uni to make some extra cash. He was a great coach for younger umpires as well.

I really enjoyed my time umpiring but injuries from my own footy meant I was barely able to walk on a Sunday, let alone chase around Under 12s, 13s or 14s.
Pag
Coach

Has liked: 18 times
Been liked: 499 times

Postby Lightning McQueen » Thu May 29, 2014 12:08 pm

Pag wrote:]I worked with and under Doug in the CDJFL as well, while I was at Uni to make some extra cash. He was a great coach for younger umpires as well.

I really enjoyed my time umpiring but injuries from my own footy meant I was barely able to walk on a Sunday, let alone chase around Under 12s, 13s or 14s.

Junior umpiring is a good way to stay in the game and the NEMJFA are very strict on umpire abuse which makes it easier to just get on with the job.

I love how some clubs think that umpires have it in for them, to most of us, they are just colours, I pay no attention to the scores whenever I umpire, sometimes the only way I know who won is by which club is singing their song at the end.
Lightning McQueen
Coach

Postby Look Good In Leather » Thu May 29, 2014 12:33 pm

ezydoesitbigfella wrote:

No.....only you. Move on.

Topic is Junior Football.

No, any discussion about junior football these days seems to end up about umpires and according to a number of posters here it is expected of clubs to repeatedly tell spectators that "umpires are human".

It's all become a bit of a joke, umpires are starting to be treated like they are bigger than the game.
Look Good In Leather
League - Best 21

Has liked: 150 times
Been liked: 284 times
Grassroots Team: Christies Beach

Postby Mr Beefy » Thu May 29, 2014 12:44 pm

Junior football to me is about getting a decent breakfast on a Sunday morning and checking out the MILFs, oh, and I'll watch my lad play and/or umpire.
Mr Beefy
Coach

Has liked: 406 times
Been liked: 651 times
Grassroots Team: Rosewater

Postby Robb_Stark » Thu May 29, 2014 12:45 pm

Mr Beefy wrote:Junior football to me is about getting a decent breakfast on a Sunday morning and checking out the MILFs, oh, and I'll watch my lad play and/or umpire.

Winner
Robb_Stark
League - Best 21

Has liked: 72 times
Been liked: 155 times

Postby Lightning McQueen » Thu May 29, 2014 1:03 pm

Mr Beefy wrote:Junior football to me is about getting a decent breakfast on a Sunday morning and checking out the MILFs, oh, and I'll watch my lad play and/or umpire.

I only get to umpire the older kids :( .
Lightning McQueen
Coach

Postby Mr Beefy » Thu May 29, 2014 1:28 pm

Lightning McQueen wrote:

I only get to umpire the older kids :( .

No breakfast?
Mr Beefy
Coach

Has liked: 406 times
Been liked: 651 times
Grassroots Team: Rosewater

Postby ezydoesitbigfella » Thu May 29, 2014 8:50 pm

No, any discussion about junior football these days seems to end up about umpires and according to a number of posters here it is expected of clubs to repeatedly tell spectators that "umpires are human".

It's all become a bit of a joke, umpires are starting to be treated like they are bigger than the game.

What's a joke is idiots continuing to talk about umpiring in Junior forums. I sense a lot of posts are just against umpires, no matter what.

If an umpire asserts authority because it's needed, he's a control freak. If he doesn't take control, he's considered pathetic and letting the game get out of control.

I'll be waiting for the posts to continue bashing umpires from people who've obviously NEVER done it.

Topic is JUNIOR football....NOT umpires. Mods.....step in please.
ezydoesitbigfella
Rookie

Has liked: 8 times
Been liked: 11 times

Postby locky801 » Thu May 29, 2014 9:48 pm

Mercy rule not working in Junior footy, well not in the NEMJFA at the moment, huge results over the weekend with most U15/U16 games decided by over 10 goals, think from memory from U11 to U16 games was about 40 out of 59 games that had the mercy rule bought into play. May as well say goodbye to it, the system is not working and to be honest never has

Also very disappointing to hear that some clubs are not playing by the new rules and having sides even up. Heard of a few on the weekend that played 18 against 14 or 15, not on, pity those in charge did not intervene as they did at the u14 game i was at when we had to even up due to an injury, although i dont agree they are the rules and you abide by them
You cant change your past but you can sure hell shape you future
locky801
Coach

Has liked: 3704 times
Been liked: 1170 times

Postby bulldogs » Thu May 29, 2014 11:47 pm

If a side has 16 players your playing against has 16 players you can either even up and play with 16 or if you have plenty on the bench you can offer the opposition 2 players to make 18 on the ground. If they don't accept the xtra players you can then play the full 18 players
bulldogs
League - Best 21

Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 15 times

Postby jo172 » Fri May 30, 2014 8:58 am

locky801 wrote:Mercy rule not working in Junior footy, well not in the NEMJFA at the moment, huge results over the weekend with most U15/U16 games decided by over 10 goals, think from memory from U11 to U16 games was about 40 out of 59 games that had the mercy rule bought into play. May as well say goodbye to it, the system is not working and to be honest never has

Also very disappointing to hear that some clubs are not playing by the new rules and having sides even up. Heard of a few on the weekend that played 18 against 14 or 15, not on, pity those in charge did not intervene as they did at the u14 game i was at when we had to even up due to an injury, although i dont agree they are the rules and you abide by them

NEMJFA not re-grading after 3/4 rounds like they have in past seasons is a rather curious decision to me.

There are some teams running around White Grades that no one has got within 25 goals of over the first four rounds. Ditto other teams running around red divisions who have barely scored a goal. I accept that there's no perfect solution and that one team is always going to win the flag and one team is always going to come last but the abandonment of a system that in my opinion was working is farcical.
jo172
League - Top 5

Has liked: 1198 times
Been liked: 724 times

Postby Sheik Yerbouti » Fri May 30, 2014 4:25 pm

jo172 wrote:
locky801 wrote:Mercy rule not working in Junior footy, well not in the NEMJFA at the moment, huge results over the weekend with most U15/U16 games decided by over 10 goals, think from memory from U11 to U16 games was about 40 out of 59 games that had the mercy rule bought into play. May as well say goodbye to it, the system is not working and to be honest never has

NEMJFA not re-grading after 3/4 rounds like they have in past seasons is a rather curious decision to me.

There are some teams running around White Grades that no one has got within 25 goals of over the first four rounds. Ditto other teams running around red divisions who have barely scored a goal. I accept that there's no perfect solution and that one team is always going to win the flag and one team is always going to come last but the abandonment of a system that in my opinion was working is farcical.

Eastern Park in the 16's down to white div, Salisbury North moved their 16's to 15's with a few permits.
Hey soccer you owe us 45million.
Sheik Yerbouti
League - Best 21

Has liked: 201 times
Been liked: 204 times

Postby jo172 » Fri May 30, 2014 4:29 pm

Sheik Yerbouti wrote:
jo172 wrote:

Eastern Park in the 16's down to white div, Salisbury North moved their 16's to 15's with a few permits.

I'd be thrilled to stand corrected, but is this across the board or a special allowance?

I should add, I observe many divisions, but the only one I'm familiar with is U14 Whites. In That Grade Hectorville is better than the second place side by 20 goals (but admittedly lost a trial match to the top Red team by 30 goals). Probably goes to show the effect of losing the 'Blue Grade' from that age group.
jo172
League - Top 5

Has liked: 1198 times
Been liked: 724 times

Postby Sheik Yerbouti » Fri May 30, 2014 6:03 pm

From what I understand the clubs voted to be rid of the blue div unless there were 25 or more teams. NEMJFA wanted it kept.
Again, just my understanding but I think it was a special allowance.
Hey soccer you owe us 45million.
Sheik Yerbouti
League - Best 21

Has liked: 201 times
Been liked: 204 times

Postby beeroclock » Fri May 30, 2014 6:10 pm

jo172 wrote:
Sheik Yerbouti wrote:
jo172 wrote:

I'd be thrilled to stand corrected, but is this across the board or a special allowance?

I should add, I observe many divisions, but the only one I'm familiar with is U14 Whites. In That Grade Hectorville is better than the second place side by 20 goals (but admittedly lost a trial match to the top Red team by 30 goals). Probably goes to show the effect of losing the 'Blue Grade' from that age group.

Not enough sides for three comps.
beeroclock
League - Best 21

Has liked: 29 times
Been liked: 53 times

Postby Red Rocket » Sat May 31, 2014 11:07 am

Call me old fashioned but not a fan of the mercy rule, can anyone tell me that it honestly works?
Maybe kids have become too soft these days as I can remember playing in colts teams regularly losing by 30-40 goals and going winless all season yet everyone on my side stuck it out and came back the following year. Cant believe that anyone would just give it away because they are being flogged each week. No mercy rule in the Barossa and its fairly common for sides to lose by 100-150 points at both u15 and u17 1/2 level, it goes in cycles though, not too many sides are poor for more than 1-2 seasons, just got to tough it out
Red Rocket
Under 18s

Has liked: 0 time
Been liked: 72 times
Grassroots Team: Kapunda

Postby Bulls forever » Sat May 31, 2014 11:44 am

Locky, over the last 8-10 years NEMJFA have done everything possible to even out junior football. Unfortunately that is the result of the demise of school football, the recent demise of the CDJFL and the control and direction of the higher powers of football. Do they necessarily agree with it, not sure. The Blue Division was only brought in under the criteria that there were a certain amount of teams in that age group. As you know there is always a team drop out late. NEMJFA's mandate is not to look after TTG, Modbury, GG, HV, PNU, Walkerville, they look after themselves, it is the smaller clubs that need every possible bit of assistance, with 1or 2 over worked volunteers and no reputation as a good junior club to attract players. Unfortunately these clubs lose their gun players in search of light at the end of the tunnel. When I first started following junior football, no clubs had 2 teams in 1 grade except U8's. There was only just over 100 teams throughout. Times change and I am not sure there is an answer.
Bulls forever
Reserves

Has liked: 2 times
Been liked: 9 times
Grassroots Team: Tea Tree Gully

PreviousNext

Board index   Football  Other Footy Leagues  Adelaide Footy League