thats red division
Robb_Stark
League - Best 21

Has liked: 72 times
Been liked: 155 times

Re: Junior Football

Postby Lightning McQueen » Mon Jun 02, 2014 10:25 am

Bulls forever wrote:
locky801 wrote:Mercy rule not working in Junior footy, well not in the NEMJFA at the moment, huge results over the weekend with most U15/U16 games decided by over 10 goals, think from memory from U11 to U16 games was about 40 out of 59 games that had the mercy rule bought into play. May as well say goodbye to it, the system is not working and to be honest never has

Also very disappointing to hear that some clubs are not playing by the new rules and having sides even up. Heard of a few on the weekend that played 18 against 14 or 15, not on, pity those in charge did not intervene as they did at the u14 game i was at when we had to even up due to an injury, although i dont agree they are the rules and you abide by them

Locky, over the last 8-10 years NEMJFA have done everything possible to even out junior football. Unfortunately that is the result of the demise of school football, the recent demise of the CDJFL and the control and direction of the higher powers of football. Do they necessarily agree with it, not sure. The Blue Division was only brought in under the criteria that there were a certain amount of teams in that age group. As you know there is always a team drop out late. NEMJFA's mandate is not to look after TTG, Modbury, GG, HV, PNU, Walkerville, they look after themselves, it is the smaller clubs that need every possible bit of assistance, with 1or 2 over worked volunteers and no reputation as a good junior club to attract players. Unfortunately these clubs lose their gun players in search of light at the end of the tunnel. When I first started following junior football, no clubs had 2 teams in 1 grade except U8's. There was only just over 100 teams throughout. Times change and I am not sure there is an answer.

Parents like their kids to play at well run clubs, clubs need good people to make their club attractive to play at.
HOGG SHIELD DIVISION V WINNER 2018.
Lightning McQueen
Coach

Has liked: 4339 times
Been liked: 7902 times

Postby jo172 » Mon Jun 16, 2014 9:49 am

We had an unofficial free kick count running at an Under 14s game yesterday. 36 - 4 for a game that was utterly non-violent. Probably time to stop bringing in the AFL rules for junior footy.
jo172
League - Top 5

Has liked: 1198 times
Been liked: 724 times

Postby Lightning McQueen » Mon Jun 16, 2014 10:21 am

I seen an under 9's match killed by the decisions yesterday, the worst thing is, it probably wasn't the umpires fault, it was the rules that he must follow.
Lightning McQueen
Coach

Postby Jetters » Mon Jun 16, 2014 1:09 pm

jo172 wrote:We had an unofficial free kick count running at an Under 14s game yesterday. 36 - 4 for a game that was utterly non-violent. Probably time to stop bringing in the AFL rules for junior footy.

What does that even mean?
Jetters
Reserves

Has liked: 106 times
Been liked: 119 times
Grassroots Team: Unley

Postby jo172 » Mon Jun 16, 2014 1:12 pm

Jetters wrote:
jo172 wrote:We had an unofficial free kick count running at an Under 14s game yesterday. 36 - 4 for a game that was utterly non-violent. Probably time to stop bringing in the AFL rules for junior footy.

I'd suggest that the AFL interpretation of Holding the Ball for example (where umpires seem to pay it whenever a player is tackled and cannot dispose of/drop the ball) has no place in levels of football where players are still learning the game.
jo172
League - Top 5

Postby Jetters » Mon Jun 16, 2014 2:05 pm

jo172 wrote:
Jetters wrote:

I'd suggest that the AFL interpretation of Holding the Ball for example (where umpires seem to pay it whenever a player is tackled and cannot dispose of/drop the ball) has no place in levels of football where players are still learning the game.

That is a terrible explanation of the rule. I can't stand when people have a go at umpires and clearly don't know the rules.

Agree that no prior opportunity holding the ball should be modified to suit younger grades and encourage players to get the ball, but not removed because this disadvantages players as they move into higher standards
Jetters
Reserves

Postby gadj1976 » Mon Jun 16, 2014 2:22 pm

FWIW, my little bloke is playing U6's (he's just turned 5) and I think the rules for zones, no kicking off the ground, no playing on after a mark and no tackling/bumping are great.

My son is slower than a lot of other players, so to get the footy, he has to be running to the right position - and he's learning to play to his strengths.

The zones are good because we've got a couple of kids who would dominate the others in our team. Our coaches to start with were against the rules but have warmed to them after seeing our kids in action.

The only thing I would like to see is the assistant coach be allowed on the ground too. That way while the coach is organising the players near the ball, the assistant coach could look after a group without it. As it is, if the ball is up the forward 1/3, the back 1/3rd are playing in sand, dancing, singing and even skipping!

Hilarious to watch though!!!!
gadj1976
Coach

Has liked: 795 times
Been liked: 849 times

Postby jo172 » Mon Jun 16, 2014 2:23 pm

Jetters wrote:
jo172 wrote:
Jetters wrote:

That is a terrible explanation of the rule. I can't stand when people have a go at umpires and clearly don't know the rules.

Agree that no prior opportunity holding the ball should be modified to suit younger grades and encourage players to get the ball, but not removed because this disadvantages players as they move into higher standards

I wasn't explaining the rule. I was explaining my perception of the rule as it is being interpreted by AFL umpires.
jo172
League - Top 5

Postby Jetters » Mon Jun 16, 2014 3:02 pm

I wasn't explaining the rule. I was explaining my perception of the rule as it is being interpreted by AFL umpires.[/quote]

Still stupid
Jetters
Reserves

Postby Robb_Stark » Mon Jun 16, 2014 3:04 pm

i dont follow the AFL rule of holding the ball its my understanding we still run under the old way
Robb_Stark
League - Best 21

Postby jo172 » Mon Jun 16, 2014 3:07 pm

Jetters wrote:Still stupid

Whereas making ad hominem attacks and misusing the quote function is the height of intelligence and wit.
jo172
League - Top 5

Postby Jetters » Mon Jun 16, 2014 3:15 pm

jo172 wrote:

Whereas making ad hominem attacks and misusing the quote function is the height of intelligence and wit.

Im not having a go at people for not being able to use the quote function though
Jetters
Reserves

Postby Jetters » Mon Jun 16, 2014 3:15 pm

Robb_Stark wrote:i dont follow the AFL rule of holding the ball its my understanding we still run under the old way

Is this a piss take?
Jetters
Reserves

Postby Robb_Stark » Mon Jun 16, 2014 3:19 pm

Jetters wrote:
Robb_Stark wrote:i dont follow the AFL rule of holding the ball its my understanding we still run under the old way

Is this a piss take?

isnt the AFL rule of holding the Ball - as soon as tackled and makes no attempt or cant make an attempt cause he is pinned ???

old way is common sense :)
Robb_Stark
League - Best 21

Postby Lightning McQueen » Mon Jun 16, 2014 3:54 pm

jo172 wrote:

Don't mind Jetters, he'd go to McDonald's and order a sad meal.
Lightning McQueen
Coach

Postby jo172 » Mon Jun 16, 2014 4:24 pm

On junior footy, I notice NEMJFA's use of sports pulse has stuffed up with the actual scores of games being posted rather than the sanitised mercy rule results.
jo172
League - Top 5

Postby Bulls forever » Mon Jun 16, 2014 8:31 pm

jo172 wrote:On junior footy, I notice NEMJFA's use of sports pulse has stuffed up with the actual scores of games being posted rather than the sanitised mercy rule results.

Jo, jo, jo, first we have an unofficial free kick count of 36-4 (who would actually consider doing this) and now we have NEMJFA stuffing up because their computer program doesn't work properly. Get a life please.

Let the bloody kids play and enjoy football, it is about them, not you.
Bulls forever
Reserves

Has liked: 2 times
Been liked: 9 times
Grassroots Team: Tea Tree Gully

Postby Bulls forever » Mon Jun 16, 2014 8:34 pm

gadj1976 wrote:FWIW, my little bloke is playing U6's (he's just turned 5) and I think the rules for zones, no kicking off the ground, no playing on after a mark and no tackling/bumping are great.

My son is slower than a lot of other players, so to get the footy, he has to be running to the right position - and he's learning to play to his strengths.

The zones are good because we've got a couple of kids who would dominate the others in our team. Our coaches to start with were against the rules but have warmed to them after seeing our kids in action.

The only thing I would like to see is the assistant coach be allowed on the ground too. That way while the coach is organising the players near the ball, the assistant coach could look after a group without it. As it is, if the ball is up the forward 1/3, the back 1/3rd are playing in sand, dancing, singing and even skipping!

Hilarious to watch though!!!!

Gadj, let the kids build sandcastles, it is probably the most enjoyment they will ever get from footy. Unless you haven't picked it up yet, you cannot organise U6's to play football. Teach them the skills and let them have a kick. It is a great game, don't over coach at U6 level please.
Bulls forever
Reserves

Has liked: 2 times
Been liked: 9 times
Grassroots Team: Tea Tree Gully

Postby jo172 » Tue Jun 17, 2014 9:15 am

Bulls forever wrote:
jo172 wrote:On junior footy, I notice NEMJFA's use of sports pulse has stuffed up with the actual scores of games being posted rather than the sanitised mercy rule results.

Jo, jo, jo, first we have an unofficial free kick count of 36-4 (who would actually consider doing this) and now we have NEMJFA stuffing up because their computer program doesn't work properly. Get a life please.

Let the bloody kids play and enjoy football, it is about them, not you.

It wasn't me, I was a mere spectator who was told the number. In any event I consider it a barrier to the kids playing and enjoying their football as the rules of the game had become rather arbitrary.

And my noting of the NEMJFA site not working was an observation, not a criticism. If you read through this thread you'll find I'm one of NEMJFA's biggest supporters.

Just unlike Jetters and yourself I think they're fallible rather than perfect. Through improving NEMJFA the kids can play and enjoy football because it is about them and not about YOU.
jo172
League - Top 5

PreviousNext

Board index   Football  Other Footy Leagues  Adelaide Footy League