Ashes First Test Live Discussion

First Class Cricket Talk (International and State)

Re: Ashes First Test Live Discussion

Postby scoob » Tue Nov 26, 2013 8:45 am

Maybe a heap of the redbacks are depressed... would explain the last decade
scoob
Veteran

Has liked: 17 times
Been liked: 87 times

Postby whufc » Tue Nov 26, 2013 8:45 am

Brodlach wrote:Andy Flower said he has dealt with with for quite a while

Which most likely true but unfortunately the general public are going to see a bloke who has walked away at 1-0 down, when out of form, discovered weakness of the short pitch stuff, on quick bouncier wickets than his use to.
RIP PH408 63notoutforever
whufc
Coach

Has liked: 5564 times
Been liked: 2519 times
Grassroots Team: BSR

Postby heater31 » Tue Nov 26, 2013 8:49 am

scoob wrote:Maybe a heap of the redbacks are depressed... would explain the last decade

No thanks to informed comments from fans such as yourself.....:roll:
heater31

Has liked: 525 times
Been liked: 1259 times

Postby Dogwatcher » Tue Nov 26, 2013 8:54 am

whufc wrote:
Brodlach wrote:Andy Flower said he has dealt with with for quite a while

Which most likely true but unfortunately the general public are going to see a bloke who has walked away at 1-0 down, when out of form, discovered weakness of the short pitch stuff, on quick bouncier wickets than his use to.

I'm not.
I'm seeing a player with a predisposed condition, like a hamstring, who thought he could manage a situation with the support of his team management but, unfortunately, was unable to.
You're my only friend, and you don't even like me.
Dogwatcher
Coach

Has liked: 1425 times
Been liked: 1152 times
Grassroots Team: Elizabeth

Postby Brodlach » Tue Nov 26, 2013 8:56 am

Dont think Trott would really care what the Australian public think of him
July 11th 2012....
Brodlach wrote:Rory Laird might end up the best IMO, he is an absolute jet. He has been in great form at the Bloods
Brodlach
Coach

Has liked: 72 times
Been liked: 4206 times
Grassroots Team: Colonel Light Gardens

Postby scoob » Tue Nov 26, 2013 9:00 am

Trott leaving in these circumstances would have to unsettle the poms massively
scoob
Veteran

Postby Brodlach » Tue Nov 26, 2013 9:02 am

Root to bat at 3 I guess
July 11th 2012....
Brodlach wrote:Rory Laird might end up the best IMO, he is an absolute jet. He has been in great form at the Bloods
Brodlach
Coach

Has liked: 72 times
Been liked: 4206 times
Grassroots Team: Colonel Light Gardens

Postby scoob » Tue Nov 26, 2013 9:05 am

Brodlach wrote:Root to bat at 3 I guess

He's a dud
scoob
Veteran

Postby Booney » Tue Nov 26, 2013 9:28 am

scoob wrote:
Brodlach wrote:Root to bat at 3 I guess

He's a dud

See the sign in the crowd at the 'Gabba?

"If you're a bad COOK
and a dud ROOT
your BROAD is going to CHEAT on you"

:D
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

Has liked: 7466 times
Been liked: 10753 times

Postby Mythical Creature » Tue Nov 26, 2013 9:45 am

heater31 wrote:Did the England selectors know about his troubles before he left to tour? He might have been working on his issues privately but with his performance and Dave Warner's comments make him realise that he needs to step back to sort things out.

I don't get the media hype around Davey's comments.
Michael Vaughan apparently tweeted something along the lines of worst English number 3 batting performance in history. Surely that would hurt him more coming from a former captain than Davey's comments.
If you don't like it, change it. If you don't want to change it, it can't be that bad!
Mythical Creature
Veteran

Has liked: 189 times
Been liked: 237 times
Grassroots Team: United

Postby Dogwatcher » Tue Nov 26, 2013 9:46 am

Mythical Creature wrote:
heater31 wrote:Did the England selectors know about his troubles before he left to tour? He might have been working on his issues privately but with his performance and Dave Warner's comments make him realise that he needs to step back to sort things out.

Michael Vaughan apparently tweeted something along the lines of worst English number 3 batting performance in history. Surely that would hurt him more coming from a former captain than Davey's comments.

For what it's worth, Vaughan later Tweeted that he felt bad about saying those things following Trott's departure from the tour.
You're my only friend, and you don't even like me.
Dogwatcher
Coach

Has liked: 1425 times
Been liked: 1152 times
Grassroots Team: Elizabeth

Postby scoob » Tue Nov 26, 2013 9:56 am

Mythical Creature wrote:

Truth hurts sometimes.

Warner possibly didn't know of Trotts issues.

Flower talked about respect of proffesional cricketters etc, blah blah blah... you are not going to get respect if you sh!t yourself against short pitched bowling I'm afraid.
scoob
Veteran

Postby Mythical Creature » Tue Nov 26, 2013 10:13 am

Dogwatcher wrote:
Mythical Creature wrote:

For what it's worth, Vaughan later Tweeted that he felt bad about saying those things following Trott's departure from the tour.

Another thing I don't get is feeling bad after saying things. FFS you said it, you meant it, move on. You can't unsaid something.
This is not specific to Vaughan or Warner comments just my feeling generally.
If you don't like it, change it. If you don't want to change it, it can't be that bad!
Mythical Creature
Veteran

Has liked: 189 times
Been liked: 237 times
Grassroots Team: United

Postby Aerie » Tue Nov 26, 2013 10:13 am

I'm sure the issues run deeper than any comments Vaughan or Warner would make. I bet Trott wouldn't even care about those comments and would take them with a grain of salt, however the broader issue would have taken it's toll.

Gone are the days when journalists would write a picture about the game itself and that would be enough for the public. There are too many looking for a controversial story and this is destroying the enjoyment of the game for many professional sports people and compounding the issue of mental illness for those unlucky to suffer.

I wish we could hit rewind and scale back to a happy medium between media spotlight and revenue needed. Unfortunately they go hand in hand or so it seems.

Good on Trott for confronting his issue and lets hope he can get better and live life with a clear mind.

Meanwhile I can't wait for the next Test match to start. Watching the pure battle between bat and ball in the worlds greatest sporting contest is enough for me. Leave Trott alone. Leave Warner and Vaughan alone. Leave Clarke alone. Get on with the cricket.
Aerie
Coach

Has liked: 147 times
Been liked: 503 times

Postby Panther Pack » Tue Nov 26, 2013 10:28 am

Great win by the Aussies!

Bowling attack looks absolutely fantastic.

Johnson and Harris both breathing Fire and Lyon also showed he is the no 1 spinner in the land. Siddle fantastic as the change bowler keeping it tight and his use of the old ball cannot be underestimated.

Really happy with the influence Boof is having on the team, seems like the old culture is coming back into the rooms which is great to see.

Happy the team is unchanged for 2nd test as I have felt in the past the team chopped and changed to much with not only personnel but also batting order. Always been a firm believer once a player is selected he should be given time not 1 or 2 matches than dropped which had become the norm in Oz.

Now I really want to see us pull the Poms pants down!!!!

Oh and how great was it to see Captain OverBite (Swann) get smacked around the park absolutely loved it!!!!!
Panther Pack
Reserves

Has liked: 24 times
Been liked: 137 times

Postby bennymacca » Tue Nov 26, 2013 12:20 pm

Quite funny to see the change in tone of this thread from beginning to end.

Also loving the Aussie bowling attack at the moment, looks world class with Johnson up and about. Still questions over the batting which have been glossed over due to the fact that haddin and Johnson played well in the first innings and we won, still not sure we have the lineup to make massive hundreds unless it's Clarke or Warner. With the exception or watto at the oval the rest don't look capable of a huge century which will probably be needed on Adelaide oval. I think they are the best we have at the moment though.
bennymacca
Coach

Has liked: 2253 times
Been liked: 1803 times
Grassroots Team: Freeling

Postby Rik E Boy » Tue Nov 26, 2013 12:42 pm

Jim05 wrote:
Rik E Boy wrote:
Jim05 wrote:
Rik E Boy wrote:It's great to not have to make three changes after a test. We must keep a settled side and let them play all series. For once we haven't made a baffling selection in the first test of the series in regards to our slow bowling option and players in form were picked. It made a massive difference. The top order is still a worry for mine as Rogers looks out of his depth. They should stick with him this series to develop a sense of team but that should be all for Rogers.

After that we can have a look at Faulkner and push Watson back up to opening. That will give us multiple bowling options so we don't have to use Siddle, MJ and Harris as workhorses. If we can win the series early, bring back the rotation policy for the bowlers and give them a rest especially Harris with his track record, step up Messrs Pattinson, Bird and Starc depending on who misses.

In the future I see Jordan Silk as a top order hope but probably not for a couple of years. Let him develop at the Tigers. He has shown already he can build an innings.

regards,

REB

Very valid points.
I would look at changing the bowling attack for Adelaide though, if the pitch is a disgrace like it has been for the shield there is no point wasting the quicks, id play another spinner and rest Harris or Siddle and get them cherry ripe for Perth

Bollocks to that. We need to win the series to take the Ashes. If you want the Poms to score 500 then that approach would ensure that happens.

Regards,

REB

If the pitch plays like it is currently they will make 500 no matter who is bowling. Last thing we need is Harris or Siddle to go down.
Get out of Adelaide with a draw and then pepper them in Perth

So we win a test for the first time in ten and your solution on a good wicket is to rest our best bowlers......right. :?

regards,

REB
Rik E Boy
Coach

Has liked: 1697 times
Been liked: 1813 times

Ashes First Test Live Discussion

Postby Jim05 » Tue Nov 26, 2013 12:47 pm

Rik E Boy wrote:
Jim05 wrote:
Rik E Boy wrote:
Jim05 wrote:[quote="Rik E Boy"]It's great to not have to make three changes after a test. We must keep a settled side and let them play all series. For once we haven't made a baffling selection in the first test of the series in regards to our slow bowling option and players in form were picked. It made a massive difference. The top order is still a worry for mine as Rogers looks out of his depth. They should stick with him this series to develop a sense of team but that should be all for Rogers.

After that we can have a look at Faulkner and push Watson back up to opening. That will give us multiple bowling options so we don't have to use Siddle, MJ and Harris as workhorses. If we can win the series early, bring back the rotation policy for the bowlers and give them a rest especially Harris with his track record, step up Messrs Pattinson, Bird and Starc depending on who misses.

In the future I see Jordan Silk as a top order hope but probably not for a couple of years. Let him develop at the Tigers. He has shown already he can build an innings.

regards,

REB

Very valid points.
I would look at changing the bowling attack for Adelaide though, if the pitch is a disgrace like it has been for the shield there is no point wasting the quicks, id play another spinner and rest Harris or Siddle and get them cherry ripe for Perth

Bollocks to that. We need to win the series to take the Ashes. If you want the Poms to score 500 then that approach would ensure that happens.

Regards,

REB

If the pitch plays like it is currently they will make 500 no matter who is bowling. Last thing we need is Harris or Siddle to go down.
Get out of Adelaide with a draw and then pepper them in Perth

So we win a test for the first time in ten and your solution on a good wicket is to rest our best bowlers......right. :?

regards,

REB[/quote]

Im saying play 2 spinners at Adelaide
Jim05
Coach

Has liked: 1125 times
Been liked: 3534 times
Grassroots Team: South Gawler

Postby Trader » Tue Nov 26, 2013 12:49 pm

Jim05 wrote:Im saying play 2 spinners at Adelaide

Warner, Smith & Clarke
Danny Southern telling Plugga he's fat, I'd like to see that!
Trader
Assistant Coach

Has liked: 60 times
Been liked: 794 times

Postby Jim05 » Tue Nov 26, 2013 12:51 pm

Trader wrote:
Jim05 wrote:Im saying play 2 spinners at Adelaide

Warner, Smith & Clarke

As much as I rate Clarke's bowling for the benefit of the side he must not be allowed to bowl again. If he injures his back agsin we are screwed
Jim05
Coach

Has liked: 1125 times
Been liked: 3534 times
Grassroots Team: South Gawler

PreviousNext

Board index   Other Sports  Cricket