R,I.P. Ovingham FC

Adelaide Footy League Talk

R,I.P. Ovingham FC

Postby Punk Rooster » Thu Dec 05, 2013 10:22 pm

100-year-old Ovingham Football Club set to fold after failing to secure ground for next season
CENTURY-OLD Ovingham Football Club is set to fold after dropping out of the race to secure its home ground.

In today's Advertiser, colour spread of the demise of the Ovingham FC- council not renewing it's lease at Cain Reserve, and the Ovie players are heading to Kilburn to bolster their stocks.

Sad to see, always had a soft spot for them- dad & brothers grew up in Elizabeth Street, and played for Ovie's, but as Ovingham is almost one of Adelaide's smallest suburbs, and with the advent of Fitzroy, and more recently, Black Friars OS, they have probably struggled on far longer than people would've credited them for.

Shame to see them gone.
Ralph Wiggum wrote:That's where I saw the leprechaun. He told me to burn things

Ken Farmer>John Coleman

Hindmarsh Pest Control
Punk Rooster
Coach

Has liked: 16 times
Been liked: 16 times
Grassroots Team: Fitzroy

Re: R,I.P. Ovingham FC

Postby wristwatcher » Thu Dec 05, 2013 10:56 pm

Punk Rooster wrote:100-year-old Ovingham Football Club set to fold after failing to secure ground for next season
CENTURY-OLD Ovingham Football Club is set to fold after dropping out of the race to secure its home ground.

In today's Advertiser, colour spread of the demise of the Ovingham FC- council not renewing it's lease at Cain Reserve, and the Ovie players are heading to Kilburn to bolster their stocks.

Sad to see, always had a soft spot for them- dad & brothers grew up in Elizabeth Street, and played for Ovie's, but as Ovingham is almost one of Adelaide's smallest suburbs, and with the advent of Fitzroy, and more recently, Black Friars OS, they have probably struggled on far longer than people would've credited them for.

Shame to see them gone.

The 2008 SAAFL Champion club extinct some 5 short years later. Sad to see.
The PNU Falcs 2005,06,13 x 2,14 and Div 1 Premiers in 2019......The SA 3peat - 2003,04,05
wristwatcher
Coach

Has liked: 13 times
Been liked: 845 times

Postby X Runna » Thu Dec 05, 2013 11:34 pm

wristwatcher wrote:
Punk Rooster wrote:100-year-old Ovingham Football Club set to fold after failing to secure ground for next season

Shame to see them gone.

The 2008 SAAFL Champion club extinct some 5 short years later. Sad to see.

The writing has been on the wall for ages. Think I remember a motto something like "don't bite the hand that feeds you"
X Runna
Reserves

Has liked: 124 times
Been liked: 58 times
Grassroots Team: Ingle Farm

Postby The Rooster » Fri Dec 06, 2013 1:48 pm

So a Merger wasn't an option? - Blackfriors, Fitzroy, Kilburn??

Similar to what we've seen with Mawson Lakes/St Pauls

Just suggesting it as a way to retain some of it's history, rather than disappear completely..
Sorry people I only deal in facts!
The Rooster
Under 18s

Has liked: 0 time
Been liked: 10 times
Grassroots Team: St Paul's College OS

Postby FOURTH ESTATE » Fri Dec 06, 2013 10:18 pm

Shame to see them gone.

Seldom right and wrong again Punky!!! They, Ovingham decided not to renew their lease, not the council and it is Cane Reserve
2017, 2019 & 2020 PREMIERS
RICHMOND, RICHMOND, RICHMOND.

Let that be a lesson to you Sturt. You don't beat Glenelg 3 times in a row in Grand Finals and get away with it.
FOURTH ESTATE
Veteran

Has liked: 4 times
Been liked: 128 times
Grassroots Team: Broadview

Postby dee man » Sun Dec 08, 2013 5:05 pm

its always a sorry day to see a club go under
especially after a 100 years
the writing was on the wall a few years ago but unlike some of the senseless and stupid reasons that others have put up there down fall had nothing to do with the league or any dispute between club and league
the club was destroyed from within when previous people put in place or more to the point took over raped and pillaged the club of equipment ,money and other means
these same people had done that at a previous club and to another when they moved on

in the end the club survived because of the hard work of dave,cookie and scooter later down the path
in the end the club was based around giving mostly service men a place to play the game we all love because of there schedules were unable togive 100% to a club
what ever your thoughts are on the club or people who have an involvement there one thing has to be said and that is that they never gave up

inregards to the lease and not going for it ,fourth estate you are correct
But what you failed to say is that the club were told by the council that they would only rate 20% out of the score mark wher the soccer clubs,one that several councilors are patrons all rated 90% plus
They were told at the end of last season that they had no hope

The biggest thing out of this episode is the fact that the KILBURN FOOTBALL CLUB have shown whatan amazing club they must be
they have gone out of there way to help the roos,have given there players and club a base where they can still play and have shown that they are one of the most ethical,courageous and responsible clubs in the league

They should be applauded for this

I just hope to all the guys that have bagged this club and said that they have no right to play never have this happen to there club
we stand as one
we fight as one
we win and lose as one
we are one
dee man
League Bench Warmer

Has liked: 0 time
Been liked: 8 times

Postby Darth Demon » Sun Dec 08, 2013 5:23 pm

dee man wrote:its always a sorry day to see a club go under
especially after a 100 years
the writing was on the wall a few years ago but unlike some of the senseless and stupid reasons that others have put up there down fall had nothing to do with the league or any dispute between club and league
the club was destroyed from within when previous people put in place or more to the point took over raped and pillaged the club of equipment ,money and other means
these same people had done that at a previous club and to another when they moved on

in the end the club survived because of the hard work of dave,cookie and scooter later down the path
in the end the club was based around giving mostly service men a place to play the game we all love because of there schedules were unable togive 100% to a club
what ever your thoughts are on the club or people who have an involvement there one thing has to be said and that is that they never gave up

inregards to the lease and not going for it ,fourth estate you are correct
But what you failed to say is that the club were told by the council that they would only rate 20% out of the score mark wher the soccer clubs,one that several councilors are patrons all rated 90% plus
They were told at the end of last season that they had no hope

The biggest thing out of this episode is the fact that the KILBURN FOOTBALL CLUB have shown whatan amazing club they must be
they have gone out of there way to help the roos,have given there players and club a base where they can still play and have shown that they are one of the most ethical,courageous and responsible clubs in the league

They should be applauded for this

I just hope to all the guys that have bagged this club and said that they have no right to play never have this happen to there club

It's always refreshing to hear the background on these situations and it rarely is just ONE thing that tips it over the edge. It's always a combination of things over a period of time. I know "Scooter" and I have seen the work done by all of you in recent years. Sad News for "The Roos" and their loyal supporters. Good Luck to Kilburn and it will be interesting to see if they play in C1 as previously scheduled, as Ovingham were or Down lower. Any ideas?
Darth Demon
Under 16s

Has liked: 21 times
Been liked: 21 times
Grassroots Team: United Aboriginal

Postby valleys07 » Mon Dec 09, 2013 10:44 am

The Rooster wrote:So a Merger wasn't an option? - Blackfriors, Fitzroy, Kilburn??

Similar to what we've seen with Mawson Lakes/St Pauls

Just suggesting it as a way to retain some of it's history, rather than disappear completely..

Mawson Lakes / St. Pauls wasnt a merger as such- simply a change in name and location to further prosper in a suburb with a growing sporting precinct.
“Think of me like Yoda, but instead of being little and green I wear suits and I'm awesome. I'm your bro—I'm Broda!”

HOGG Shield 2015 Division I Premiers.
HOGG Shield 2017 Premier League Premiers.
valleys07
Coach

Has liked: 767 times
Been liked: 1169 times
Grassroots Team: Hope Valley

Board index   Football  Other Footy Leagues  Adelaide Footy League