Crows 2014

Talk on the national game

Re: Crows 2014

Postby Ted E Bear » Thu Mar 20, 2014 9:45 pm

Betts and Pods were poor recruits and Rutten finished.
Ted E Bear
Under 16s

Has liked: 0 time
Been liked: 13 times

Postby Gozu » Thu Mar 20, 2014 9:47 pm

I've only seen bits & pieces of the pre-season games/tonights game but does Podsiadly look done to anyone else?
"The factory of the future will have only two employees, a man and a dog. The man will be there to feed the dog. The dog will be there to keep the man from touching the equipment" – Warren Bennis
Gozu
Coach

Been liked: 660 times

Postby finals fever » Thu Mar 20, 2014 9:47 pm

TEX07 wrote:
finals fever wrote:Am I the only person in Australia that thinks Rutten is way too slow?

Nah I reckon there is 17 other AFL sides that know he is slow. I love the service he has given but sides will exploit his lack of pace like Geelong did tonight, I hope I am wrong but just doesn't look like he will do much this year, first game is when players should look their quickest.

Agree mate, great servant and I'm sure his experience is very valuable but he can't keep up anymore especially with capped rotations.
finals fever

Been liked: 4 times
Grassroots Team: Mt Compass

Postby kickinit » Thu Mar 20, 2014 9:50 pm

Gozu wrote:I've only seen bits & pieces of the pre-season games/tonights game but does Podsiadly look done to anyone else?

I don't think the crows see him as a full-time player in the AFL. Think after losing walker last year and really had no decent forward they went with him as a backup plan for walker. The smart move for the crows would be to play him in the square and betts running around his feet.
We're on this journey together, One Heart, One Club and they will Never Ever Tear Us Apart.
kickinit
League - Top 5

Has liked: 38 times
Been liked: 95 times

Postby Jim05 » Thu Mar 20, 2014 9:50 pm

Ted E Bear wrote:Betts and Pods were poor recruits and Rutten finished.

Not sure about Rutten being done but Pods is gone and Eddie is still a massive frontrunner
Jim05
Coach

Has liked: 1126 times
Been liked: 3553 times
Grassroots Team: South Gawler

Postby kickinit » Thu Mar 20, 2014 9:51 pm

finals fever wrote:
TEX07 wrote:
finals fever wrote:Am I the only person in Australia that thinks Rutten is way too slow?

Nah I reckon there is 17 other AFL sides that know he is slow. I love the service he has given but sides will exploit his lack of pace like Geelong did tonight, I hope I am wrong but just doesn't look like he will do much this year, first game is when players should look their quickest.

Agree mate, great servant and I'm sure his experience is very valuable but he can't keep up anymore especially with capped rotations.

Do remember you did lose bock and davis, don't think rutten would still be playing if you had bock davis and tahilia. That would be a very damaging back line if you still had those 2.
We're on this journey together, One Heart, One Club and they will Never Ever Tear Us Apart.
kickinit
League - Top 5

Has liked: 38 times
Been liked: 95 times

Postby Spargo » Thu Mar 20, 2014 9:59 pm

kickinit wrote:
finals fever wrote:
TEX07 wrote:

Do remember you did lose bock and davis, don't think rutten would still be playing if you had bock davis and tahilia. That would be a very damaging back line if you still had those 2.

Losing Davis was the one that stung them the most. It was a succession plan, Rutten over to Davis that never happened and has set the crows back a few years in defense. There hand is forced thus playing Rutten.
The one I simply cannot understand is they gave another contract to Porplyzia. The game went past him 2 years ago.
2017 safooty NFL tipping champ
2024 champ, Spargo’s Good Friday Cup @ Ascot

I’ll wait for an angel, but I won’t hold my breath
‘Magine they’re busy, think I’m doin’ ok…
Spargo
Coach

Has liked: 5487 times
Been liked: 5126 times
Grassroots Team: Sacred Heart OC

Postby bennymacca » Thu Mar 20, 2014 10:01 pm

i think he is very slow, and i think hartigan will play at least 10 games this year with a view to replacing him full time the year after.

as for jpod, i think it didnt help that he copped a stinger on his arm/shoulder early on. reckon he will go alright, but he will only be there until walker and lynch return, and then he will be a coach at the crows next year.

betts went alright as a small forward imo, compare him to petrenko and it is a massive win for the crows.

liked how we stayed in the game for the first 3 quarters, but geelong always looked the better side and it was a matter of time before they kicked away. like the games of kerridge and grigg and jaensch, but if brodie martin gets games for the crows it shows we have a few injuries
bennymacca
Coach

Has liked: 2253 times
Been liked: 1803 times
Grassroots Team: Freeling

Postby cokadonkeytoo » Thu Mar 20, 2014 10:11 pm

Should the Crows be moving heaven and earth to get Bomber Thompson to the club next year to fill the spot left by the passing of Bails? Its a well known fact that bomber and hirdy wint be there together next year.
Get that corn outta my face!!
cokadonkeytoo
Under 18s

Been liked: 44 times
Grassroots Team: Para Hills

Postby Ted E Bear » Thu Mar 20, 2014 10:12 pm

Could Grigg win the rising star?
Ted E Bear
Under 16s

Postby Ron Burgundy » Thu Mar 20, 2014 10:15 pm

I thought Rutten was serviceable tonight. And Talia was v.good.

Geelong did most of their damage from hard forward running.
Ron Burgundy
League - Best 21

Has liked: 174 times
Been liked: 137 times

Postby Jim05 » Thu Mar 20, 2014 10:25 pm

cokadonkeytoo wrote:Should the Crows be moving heaven and earth to get Bomber Thompson to the club next year to fill the spot left by the passing of Bails? Its a well known fact that bomber and hirdy wint be there together next year.

If any infractions come Hird wont ever coach again so Bomber may just stay around
Jim05
Coach

Has liked: 1126 times
Been liked: 3553 times
Grassroots Team: South Gawler

Postby Rik E Boy » Thu Mar 20, 2014 10:57 pm

Ruttens got more left than Thompson.

regards,

REB
Rik E Boy
Coach

Has liked: 1698 times
Been liked: 1818 times

Postby topsywaldron » Thu Mar 20, 2014 11:46 pm

Ted E Bear wrote:Could Grigg win the rising star?

Another poor pr*ck held back by playing in the hateful SANFL.
'People are not stupid. They know when they are being conned. And two reserves teams operating in a League competition will reduce it to a farce, a competition without a soul.'

Dion Hayman 24th July 2013
topsywaldron
Veteran

Has liked: 21 times
Been liked: 218 times

Postby westcoastpanther » Fri Mar 21, 2014 8:53 am

Geelong got most of their goals on the back of Crow turnovers, we were terrible. Do they train with footies? Can't see Cats threatening the top sides this year either.
Hi, My name is Ron 'Bluey' Dunn. Did you know I played in the 61 & 62 Tasman Premiership sides....
westcoastpanther
Coach

Has liked: 66 times
Been liked: 150 times
Grassroots Team: Boston

Postby Bum Crack » Fri Mar 21, 2014 8:54 am

westcoastpanther wrote:Geelong got most of their goals on the back of Crow turnovers, we were terrible. Do they train with footies? Can't see Cats threatening the top sides this year either.

Going to be a long year for the Cows then.
So you've seen everything have you?
Yep
Have you ever seen a man eat his own head?
No
Well you haven't seen everything then have you.
Bum Crack
Coach

Has liked: 320 times
Been liked: 890 times
Grassroots Team: Berri

Postby Ted E Bear » Fri Mar 21, 2014 8:56 am

Should be a brilliant showdown. I would expect the crows to bounce back.
Ted E Bear
Under 16s

Postby Fricky » Fri Mar 21, 2014 9:05 am

westcoastpanther wrote:Geelong got most of their goals on the back of Crow turnovers, we were terrible. Do they train with footies? Can't see Cats threatening the top sides this year either.

We were killed by Geelong when we turned it over. It looked as though they all knew what to do when heading towards goal, but as soon as it went the other way the crows were flat footed. Basic Skill errors cost us dearly too. Dropped marks, poor handballing to guys in the clear, some of our kicking was worse than some kids at an Auskick clinic.

In saying that, at times we did display some good football and the run out of defense was positive. As everyone keeps saying, need a 4 quarter effort to win games. Hopefully they can do it in the Showdown [-o<
Fricky
League - Best 21

Has liked: 94 times
Been liked: 120 times
Grassroots Team: Walkerville

Postby Hefty » Fri Mar 21, 2014 9:13 am

Even though we lost last nite I wasn't overly dissapointed with the result. First up Geelong @ Geelong is always a tough ask, doesn't matter who you are. Dangerfield/Sloane were a bit quiet to their norm. Some postives were Grigg (he carved up in SANFL finals last year) and is going to be a gun for us. Also thought Johnston gave us something up forward as well. Not great that we let the margin blow out to 6+ goals after hitting the front early in the last qtr.

Sidenote: Is Selwood the most protected species in the AFL??? The next time he ducks his head I hope someone takes it clean orfff!!
Hefty
League Bench Warmer

Has liked: 133 times
Been liked: 110 times
Grassroots Team: Golden Grove

Postby Sorry Dude » Fri Mar 21, 2014 9:21 am

Rik E Boy wrote:

Ruttens got more left than Thompson.

regards,

REB

Wasn't he poor last night. He isn't in the side for his speed, but a few times some of the non attacks on the ball stuck out like dogs balls. Take out the 8-9 goals kicked by Geelong through Crows turnovers (IIRC it was 6 at half time) and it's where the game should have ended up. I am not writing Geelong off just yet.
Sorry Dude
League - Top 5

Has liked: 156 times
Been liked: 73 times

PreviousNext

Board index   Football  AFL