Crows 2014

Talk on the national game

Re: Crows 2014

Postby zipzap » Thu May 15, 2014 8:38 am

Long shot but if anyone knows of anyone wanting to offload two tickets at a realistic price please PM me. My lad is playing Auskick at half time and my wife & daughter would like to come watch him too :)
"A no vote from any club means there is some sort of risk involved in our entry into the competition not working," Steven Trigg.
zipzap
Assistant Coach

Has liked: 248 times
Been liked: 39 times

Postby JK » Thu May 15, 2014 9:34 am

bennymacca wrote:
JK wrote:
bennymacca wrote:
JK wrote:One of the newsreaders on AA tonight mentioned Collingwood had the job of quelling Adelaide's midfield. Someone wasn't reading their screen properly :lol:

well they do, adelaide's midfield is great. its just going to be a lot harder for the crows to do the same as the pies midfield is the best in the comp!

LOL Adelaide's isn't a patch on the Pies midfield .. Surely whoever wrote the script accidentally put them in the wrong order???

isnt that what i said?

Kind of, but the reference to Adelaide having a "great" midfield is delusional. Dangerfield and Sloane are stars no doubt, but I would have thought Black, Voss, Lappin, Power was a great midfield or Kerr, Cousins, Judd. Adelaide's is a fair way down the list even compared to many other clubs this season alone.
FUSC
JK
Coach

Has liked: 4458 times
Been liked: 2986 times
Grassroots Team: SMOSH West Lakes

Postby daysofourlives » Thu May 15, 2014 9:39 am

Wasting your breath JK, these are the same people that thought they had the best forward line of all time in the SANFL a couple weeks back ;)
Supercoach Spring Racing Champion 2019
Spargo's Good Friday Cup Champion 2020
daysofourlives
Coach

Has liked: 2423 times
Been liked: 1660 times
Grassroots Team: Angaston

Postby GWW » Thu May 15, 2014 9:53 am

According to Sanderson their forward line is the envy of the AFL competition.

He also said they wil celebrate Reilly's 200th with a win when he makes his way back into the side one day.

I dont think he really meant for those comments to come across the way they did. I suspect he was trying to inject dome optimism after their loss against Melbourne.

However, I would think that he needs some type of media training, because at times he comes across as way out of his depth. Not to mention his lack-lustre game day efforts of late.

I think Collingwood will win by about 7 goals tonight.
GWW

Has liked: 816 times
Been liked: 166 times

Crows 2014

Postby bennymacca » Thu May 15, 2014 9:55 am

JK wrote:
Kind of, but the reference to Adelaide having a "great" midfield is delusional. Dangerfield and Sloane are stars no doubt, but I would have thought Black, Voss, Lappin, Power was a great midfield or Kerr, Cousins, Judd. Adelaide's is a fair way down the list even compared to many other clubs this season alone.

You are stretching my words a bit. They are nowhere near all time great, or even a great of the modern era. I was using great as a synonym for good, better than the current afl average.

And no matter the strength comparatively it is still the crows strength so would need to be combatted. The statement "collingwood need to shut down the crows midfield" makes perfect sense. It's basically true of any game of afl.

You guys love nitpicking.
Last edited by bennymacca on Thu May 15, 2014 9:58 am, edited 1 time in total.
bennymacca
Coach

Has liked: 2253 times
Been liked: 1803 times
Grassroots Team: Freeling

Postby bennymacca » Thu May 15, 2014 9:57 am

GWW wrote:According to Sanderson their forward line is the envy of the AFL competition.

He also said they wil celebrate Reilly's 200th with a win when he makes his way back into the side one day.

I dont think he really meant for those comments to come across the way they did. I suspect he was trying to inject dome optimism after their loss against Melbourne.

However, I would think that he needs some type of media training, because at times he comes across as way out of his depth. Not to mention his lack-lustre game day efforts of late.

I think Collingwood will win by about 7 goals tonight.

All coaches are prone to that type of talk though. Go look at malthouse's efforts, flicking between saying they need a rebuild and saying they are not far away on a weekly basis.

I do agree that statements like that aren't helpful though. Our forward line is no envy. At it's very best with everyone in their best form it's pretty good, sure. But nowhere near that at the moment.
bennymacca
Coach

Postby carey » Thu May 15, 2014 10:00 am

I hope so GWW

But I actually have a funny feeling the Crows might actually go alright tonight. I have no idea why I just think they will go ok. Collingwood's form has been outstanding, Tex will go either crazy and kick 5-6 goals or be a nervous as a 6 year old at Ralph Harris house and no do much at all.

Speaking of the Pies I'm currently working at the convention centre and the Pies are staying next door at the intercontental Bucks has just been for his morning run and the man is a tank! Still looks Fit enough to play with ease.
you've gota keep on keep'n on .........
carey
Coach

Has liked: 2803 times
Been liked: 2996 times
Grassroots Team: Paralowie

Postby bennymacca » Thu May 15, 2014 10:07 am

Collingwood are a side that the crows have always struggled against. I hope we go alright, but my hopes aren't high.

Tex getting through the game and contributing will be a win in and of itself. And there is no doubt it will have a positive effect on the group.

But still think 5 goals or so is about right. Their mids are just too good. And Jamie Elliot is on fire and we probably lack a decent matchup for him
bennymacca
Coach

Postby Booney » Thu May 15, 2014 10:10 am

bennymacca wrote:
JK wrote:

You are stretching my words a bit. They are nowhere near all time great, or even a great of the modern era. I was using great as a synonym for good, better than the current afl average.

And no matter the strength comparatively it is still the crows strength so would need to be combatted. The statement "collingwood need to shut down the crows midfield" makes perfect sense. It's basically true of any game of afl.

You guys love nitpicking.

I think Adelaide's midfield is over rated, they are, IMO, middle of the road. Dangerfield is top notch, we all know that. Sloane too is very good, but I think he is limited in respect to genuine midfield guns. He lacks a truly penetrating kick ( he's not a on the run goal from 50 player ) and I think he is "gettable" in the air against the better midfielders, don't get me wrong, he is a very good player. Douglas is under rated but I think the lacks a bit of defensive prowess and besides some in and under grunt, Thompson is slowing down rapidly. Out side that the likes of Brodie Martin, Rory Laird, Sam Kerridge, David McKay and the in and out Grigg aren't really taking the next step to become serious headaches for opponents when they are running through there. All play very inconsistent football at this time, they may develop to the point of being consistent contributors.

So, again IMO, Adelaide have one star, one very good player, one consistent ball winner with grunt and several who try hard but rarely get 25+ touches.

The top half a dozen clubs, along with the expansion clubs could claim to have deeper midfields.
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

Has liked: 7487 times
Been liked: 10772 times

Postby GWW » Thu May 15, 2014 10:15 am

I havent seen Grigg do a lot wrong at AFL level, so am a bit surprised about his omission.
GWW

Has liked: 816 times
Been liked: 166 times

Postby bennymacca » Thu May 15, 2014 10:19 am

Yeah fair analysis booney. I think sloane is a genuine A grader though. You are correct though, with the exception of Brodie smith our outside run is pretty poor.

Oh for the days of Goodwin and McLeod and hart and bock streaming out of that backline.
bennymacca
Coach

Postby bennymacca » Thu May 15, 2014 10:21 am

GWW wrote:I havent seen Grigg do a lot wrong at AFL level, so am a bit surprised about his omission.

He can't be fit. Last year when he came in for a few games he looked a million bucks. Looks to have a great footy brain.

Hasn't done a super amount wrong this year, but hasn't done a super amount right either. Just kind of been there. Like most of adelaides second tier really.
bennymacca
Coach

Postby JK » Thu May 15, 2014 10:53 am

bennymacca wrote:
JK wrote:

LOL my bad for taking it exactly as it was written ;)
FUSC
JK
Coach

Postby bennymacca » Thu May 15, 2014 10:59 am

My chicken sandwich was great yesterday too.

Doesn't mean it is all time legendary in the history of sandwiches.

Great means considerably above average.

Probably good is a better word.
bennymacca
Coach

Postby JK » Thu May 15, 2014 11:03 am

bennymacca wrote:My chicken sandwich was great yesterday too.

Doesn't mean it is all time legendary in the history of sandwiches.

Great means considerably above average.

Probably good is a better word.

RRrraaayyyyy!!!

Nitpicking is in the eye of the beholder :D
FUSC
JK
Coach

Postby cracka » Thu May 15, 2014 3:16 pm

daysofourlives wrote:Wasting your breath JK, these are the same people that thought they had the best forward line of all time in the SANFL a couple weeks back ;)

There was only 1 that said that & crows supporters on here disagreed with him.
cracka
Veteran

Has liked: 460 times
Been liked: 566 times
Grassroots Team: Onkaparinga Valley

Postby bennymacca » Thu May 22, 2014 6:14 pm

love these sorts of stories,

seems like betts has taken the young lad under his wing, and judging by Charlie's debut on the weekend, he is going a good job.

And against collingwood Bett's first half was pretty average, but Im sure he lifted when cameron did, because Bett's second half was great.

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/afl/e ... 6926142471
bennymacca
Coach

Postby Red Rocket » Thu May 22, 2014 6:26 pm

Of course Betts was better in the second half, the Crows were winning easily.
Massive front runner, struggles to get a kick when the game is in the balance
Red Rocket
Under 18s

Has liked: 0 time
Been liked: 72 times
Grassroots Team: Kapunda

Postby bennymacca » Thu May 22, 2014 6:42 pm

I do agree with you, but at least in that game it was his work rate that lifted, he wasn't gifted possessions in free space like you are implying.
bennymacca
Coach

Postby Zorro » Fri May 23, 2014 11:51 am

Red Rocket wrote:Of course Betts was better in the second half, the Crows were winning easily.
Massive front runner, struggles to get a kick when the game is in the balance

Really? :shock:
The Cocks Will Rise Again
Zorro
Under 18s

Has liked: 12 times
Been liked: 52 times

PreviousNext

Board index   Football  AFL