Test Squad for South African Tour - predictions & discussion

First Class Cricket Talk (International and State)

Re: Test Squad for South African Tour - predictions & discus

Postby stan » Mon Feb 17, 2014 7:21 am

Saffers will come back at us unlike England. They have more ability and will come at us at some point. They are not the pathetic team England were.

Sent from my GT-I9197 using Tapatalk
Read my reply. It is directed at you because you have double standards
stan
Coach

Has liked: 88 times
Been liked: 1253 times
Grassroots Team: Goodwood Saints

Postby mal » Mon Feb 17, 2014 7:43 am

I reckon the SA bowlers have answers to get the Australian top order batters out next time
I'm not sure they have answers on how to deal with MmMMmMmMmMMmMmMmitchell Johnson
mal
Coach

Has liked: 1154 times
Been liked: 908 times

Postby whufc » Mon Feb 17, 2014 8:02 am

mal wrote:I reckon the SA bowlers have answers to get the Australian top order batters out next time
I'm not sure they have answers on how to deal with MmMMmMmMmMMmMmMmitchell Johnson

Totally agree,

The only way we will lose this series now is if the top order collapses.

Unless Amla and AB hit big hundreds the saffers can't get over 300

RIP PH408 63notoutforever
whufc
Coach

Has liked: 5589 times
Been liked: 2530 times
Grassroots Team: BSR

Postby beeroclock » Mon Feb 17, 2014 12:09 pm

Mals mate Watto to do another injury to save his shame of not getting picked in the second test side,even money on sports bet.
Get on it it's a Monty.
beeroclock
League - Best 21

Has liked: 29 times
Been liked: 53 times

Postby Rik E Boy » Mon Feb 17, 2014 1:04 pm

I've been following Test Cricket since the 70s and I cannot recall a period of sustained excellence from a fast bowler that matches Mitchell Johnson's current run. 49 wickets in six tests is amazing. That ball he badged Amla with was an absolute corker, unplayable.

Every now and then he drifts back into 'old mitch' mode but Clarke seems to take him out of the attack when signs appear. Brilliant bowling and brilliant Captaincy.

regards,

REB
Rik E Boy
Coach

Has liked: 1698 times
Been liked: 1818 times

Postby Booney » Mon Feb 17, 2014 1:24 pm

Since taking over the captaincy Clarke has seen his batting average increase on the back of a golden 12/13 summer and now he has developed into one of the best captains (IMO) that we have seen.

Clearly he now has "his team" with very few of Pontings men left and a new coach with Lehmann, creating a relaxed yet very aggressive atmosphere.

On the back of that we have Johnson who is in, as REB notes, in the form of his life and nothing like we have seen from an Aussie quick for years.

I also think Warner needs a mention. Not only the way he has plundered runs recently but I reakon the little bloke would be as good on the lip as Warne and Healy were in the days of "metal disintegration" under Steve Waugh. I think he has a lot to do with the attitude of the Australian side at the moment.
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

Has liked: 7493 times
Been liked: 10776 times

Postby bennymacca » Mon Feb 17, 2014 1:37 pm

good observations all round there.

shows what happens when everyone is having fun too - they clearly werent under mickey arthur, but even in england when they were losing, you could just tell that they were having fun.

i know i cant really relate my personal experiences to that, but i do know that when we are having fun on the cricket field we almost always play better - as soon as we go quiet in the field we lose. thats not sledging either, unless you count sledging of your own teammates.

you can tell that they are having fun - getting mitch to grow his mo back as soon as they left aussie shores is another good example
bennymacca
Coach

Has liked: 2253 times
Been liked: 1803 times
Grassroots Team: Freeling

Postby Gozu » Mon Feb 17, 2014 2:51 pm

I'm not able to see this series because I don't have Foxtel and it's not on Firstrowsports but how has Mitch looked compared to last time in South Africa when he was destroying Kallis, Smith etc?

That back then was perhaps the most vicious & unplayable fast bowling I've ever seen.

"The factory of the future will have only two employees, a man and a dog. The man will be there to feed the dog. The dog will be there to keep the man from touching the equipment" – Warren Bennis
Gozu
Coach

Has liked: 0 time
Been liked: 660 times

Postby shoe boy » Mon Feb 17, 2014 3:01 pm

Gozu wrote:I'm not able to see this series because I don't have Foxtel and it's not on Firstrowsports but how has Mitch looked compared to last time in South Africa when he was destroying Kallis, Smith etc?

That back then was perhaps the most vicious & unplayable fast bowling I've ever seen.

Gozu,His first spell of SA first innings was like watching the West Indies at their best.
shoe boy
Assistant Coach

Has liked: 488 times
Been liked: 209 times

Postby shoe boy » Mon Feb 17, 2014 3:05 pm

On a point watching the game that decides the best in the world!

Crowd numbers are crap and considering the price of a ticket $8 Aus but love the work of the camera panning the crowd the SA have some lovely sights.
shoe boy
Assistant Coach

Has liked: 488 times
Been liked: 209 times

Postby bennymacca » Mon Feb 17, 2014 3:10 pm

Gozu wrote:I'm not able to see this series because I don't have Foxtel and it's not on Firstrowsports but how has Mitch looked compared to last time in South Africa when he was destroying Kallis, Smith etc?

Better than any of the spells that he produced against the poms
bennymacca
Coach

Postby whufc » Mon Feb 17, 2014 3:34 pm

Booney wrote:Since taking over the captaincy Clarke has seen his batting average increase on the back of a golden 12/13 summer and now he has developed into one of the best captains (IMO) that we have seen.

Clearly he now has "his team" with very few of Pontings men left and a new coach with Lehmann, creating a relaxed yet very aggressive atmosphere.

On the back of that we have Johnson who is in, as REB notes, in the form of his life and nothing like we have seen from an Aussie quick for years.

I also think Warner needs a mention. Not only the way he has plundered runs recently but I reakon the little bloke would be as good on the lip as Warne and Healy were in the days of "metal disintegration" under Steve Waugh. I think he has a lot to do with the attitude of the Australian side at the moment.

Agree with all of it except the bit about Warner.

Went to a Botham luncheon and he was mentioning about how he is privy to alot of the sledging going on due to the stump mics.

It brought it him to the conclusion Warner may not have went to school and that he struggles to put more than 3 words together, in Bothams view was the dumbest sledgerhe he had ever heard.
whufc
Coach

Postby woodublieve12 » Mon Feb 17, 2014 3:38 pm

Booney wrote:Since taking over the captaincy Clarke has seen his batting average increase on the back of a golden 12/13 summer and now he has developed into one of the best captains (IMO) that we have seen.

i certainly disagree with you there, but that's my opinion...

Waugh, border and Taylor all better captains i reckon...
"Fellas, it’s OK to be in pain. It’s OK to hurt. It’s OK to be sad. It’s no longer OK to suffer in silence."
woodublieve12
Coach

Has liked: 3025 times
Been liked: 2401 times

Postby bennymacca » Mon Feb 17, 2014 4:04 pm

as a leader of men waugh and border were great, but tactically as a captain i dont think he is anywhere near as good as clarke. and clarke is improving all the time as a leader, especially with the help of boof as others have mentioned.

waugh benefited greatly by having the greatest team in the history of the game, not to take away from him at all
bennymacca
Coach

Postby Booney » Mon Feb 17, 2014 4:26 pm

whufc wrote:

Went to a Botham luncheon and he was mentioning about how he is privy to alot of the sledging going on due to the stump mics.

It brought it him to the conclusion Warner may not have went to school and that he struggles to put more than 3 words together, in Bothams view was the dumbest sledgerhe he had ever heard.

Perhaps that's the case, I dont doubt it for a minute to be honest. But it doesn't need to be Rhodes Scholar English if it gets in the batsmans ear and takes his mind of off the job he should be doing. It certainly seemed like Pietersen was engaging Warner throughout the summer. Thanks Davey. ;)
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

Postby whufc » Mon Feb 17, 2014 5:04 pm

Booney wrote:
whufc wrote:

Perhaps that's the case, I dont doubt it for a minute to be honest. But it doesn't need to be Rhodes Scholar English if it gets in the batsmans ear and takes his mind of off the job he should be doing. It certainly seemed like Pietersen was engaging Warner throughout the summer. Thanks Davey. ;)

Yeah, it may have been Warners lack of wit that really got up Pieterson.

From what Botham was saying it sounds like the old goldys like curry and toilet doors get a run from our boy Davy
whufc
Coach

Postby Grahaml » Mon Feb 17, 2014 5:19 pm

The more I hear about Botham the more it seems he finds himself with totally different versions of stories to everyone else. Strong chance if he thinks something it's wrong.
Grahaml
Assistant Coach

Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 169 times

Postby tigerpie » Mon Feb 17, 2014 8:49 pm

Yeah grade 5 would have been the hardest 3 years of Daveys life, but good on him...he's going alright.
Dropped twice before he made 30 and still made a hundred.

We've all played with a bloke who was not too bright in the player communication stakes and cringed at the things he says......but still piss yaself laughing!!!
tigerpie
Assistant Coach

Has liked: 501 times
Been liked: 431 times

Postby LaughingKookaburra » Mon Feb 17, 2014 10:52 pm

Do you really want to know who are dumb Ian?

All those people who ran your country when they decided to make Australia a colony and then decided to populate a cold, dull and overcrowded shit hole.

They then also sent the people who would assist in creating a succesful sporting culture in a sport you created but yet some how are behind the 8 ball in history to a country with 1/4 of your population.

Stick to sinking piss mate your group of scholars are being schooled by the very criminals you sent out here again all those years ago.

You're the dumb pricks England...
Can you bring a man to his feet when defeat is on repeat?
LaughingKookaburra
Coach

Has liked: 73 times
Been liked: 741 times
Grassroots Team: Kenilworth

Postby Booney » Tue Feb 18, 2014 11:26 am

Grahaml wrote:The more I hear about Botham the more it seems he finds himself with totally different versions of stories to everyone else. Strong chance if he thinks something it's wrong.

Agreed. He's one legend of the game who should stay out of the media spotlight.
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

PreviousNext

Board index   Other Sports  Cricket