The Magpies Are Now The AFL Power Reserves

All discussions to do with the SANFL

Re: The Magpies Are Now The AFL Power Reserves

Postby csbowes » Tue Jan 14, 2014 2:43 pm

Apachebulldog wrote:Its 45.2 degrees out in the full sun at the moment nothing better than debating the AFL RESERVES debacle until the Power runs out lol.

Hey and no smart comments back that I am suffering from heat stroke LOL.

46.6 in the shade here in Alma...

... and I'm even putting water out for the poor suffering magpies here... poor buggers!
csbowes
League - Best 21

Has liked: 0 time
Been liked: 77 times

Postby Wedgie » Tue Jan 14, 2014 3:16 pm

Suri wrote:Isn't it just a name change from Magpies to Power? The guernsey will change but it wont be the first time in Port Adelaide's history that the colours of their guernsey has changed
Essendon were the 'Dons before being known as the Bombers.
Fitzroy went from being known as the Maroons to the Gorillas to the Lions before amalgamating with Brisbane.
Richmond were the Wasps prior to being known as the Tigers.
Yes the Magpies might be dead but the Port Adelaide Footy Club will live on, and isn't that who people support?

Nah, I used to think that till proven wrong. The PAFC changed their name to the PAMFC so a new entity "the power" could use their business name.
The PAMFC is virtually dead and buried now by its own artificial creation, its a bit like Battlestar Galactica with the Cylons created by the humans all but wiping the makers out.
Or Frankenstein to a degree too.
Wedgie
Site Admin

Has liked: 2020 times
Been liked: 3862 times
Grassroots Team: Noarlunga

Postby Fricky » Tue Jan 14, 2014 3:38 pm

Wedgie wrote:
Suri wrote:Isn't it just a name change from Magpies to Power? The guernsey will change but it wont be the first time in Port Adelaide's history that the colours of their guernsey has changed
Fitzroy went from being known as the Maroons to the Gorillas to the Lions before amalgamating with Brisbane.
Yes the Magpies might be dead but the Port Adelaide Footy Club will live on, and isn't that who people support?

Nah, I used to think that till proven wrong. The PAFC changed their name to the PAMFC so a new entity "the power" could use their business name.
The PAMFC is virtually dead and buried now by its own artificial creation, its a bit like Battlestar Galactica with the Cylons created by the humans all but wiping the makers out.

The PAFC is the club that has been in existence since 1870 right, so that's still alive and kicking, albeit in a Power guernsey now. The PAMFC was a short lived club with its history dating all the way back to 1999 right? That was until they amalgamated with the PAFC to create the "One Club".

Magpies or Power, its still the Port Adelaide Football Club
Fricky
League - Best 21

Has liked: 93 times
Been liked: 120 times
Grassroots Team: Walkerville

Postby Booney » Tue Jan 14, 2014 3:43 pm

Wedgie wrote:

Interesting point made there. The AFL certainly is big business and football clubs from grassroots country clubs to AFL clubs are run as such,as a business.

But a business (in the main) does not involve the passion and warfare created by football clubs.Some do,but not many. So for people on the outside looking in, the business has changed names and no longer represents what it previously did. Or does it?

For those on the inside, with a passionate vested interest, many things remain the same. I don't believe (and show me any letter head you want,I dont care) that the Magpies are dead. Sure, the line up of players changes, but that does pretty much every year anyway.

Sure the ultimate goal of the Magpies new structure is to best develop players for AFL football, but Garry Hocking and the players who take the field for the Magpies at SANFL level will be out there to win games, make no mistake. The Magpies, wearing black and white in the SANFL are Norwoods greatest foe, they have won more SANFL premierships than anyone else.

Many things have changed, many things have not.
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

Has liked: 7467 times
Been liked: 10755 times

Postby stan » Tue Jan 14, 2014 4:30 pm

Suri wrote:
Wedgie wrote:

The PAFC is the club that has been in existence since 1870 right, so that's still alive and kicking, albeit in a Power guernsey now. The PAMFC was a short lived club with its history dating all the way back to 1999 right? That was until they amalgamated with the PAFC to create the "One Club".

Magpies or Power, its still the Port Adelaide Football Club

I get what your saying Wedgie. If it looks and smells like a wharfie then its a wharfie. :wink:
Read my reply. It is directed at you because you have double standards
stan
Coach

Has liked: 88 times
Been liked: 1253 times
Grassroots Team: Goodwood Saints

Postby Pseudo » Tue Jan 14, 2014 5:10 pm

Same port, new port, old port, blue port.

Who gives a flying fig which port.

Bottom line is the team running around in the magpies livery from 2014 is not a sovereign SANFL club. The sooner it pisses off to a competition which more befits its nature (taking its cross-town cousin with it), the better.
Clowns OUT. Smears OUT. RESIST THE OCCUPATION.
Pseudo
Coach

Been liked: 1553 times
Grassroots Team: Marion

Postby tigerpie » Wed Jan 15, 2014 8:32 pm

Precisely!
They belong in an AFL reserves competition, run by the AFL, not in the SANFL.
Back in 2009 the AFL convinced (twisted the arm) the SANFL to change the junior setup to u18.
The sanfl has bent over again to cater to the whims of the afl much to the detriment of the competition.
tigerpie
Assistant Coach

Has liked: 498 times
Been liked: 429 times

Postby Blackwhite » Thu Jan 16, 2014 12:14 am

How much can an AFL reserves league cost? Surely that would be a better option than killing state leagues. And I'm sure sponsors would cover the cost of an AFL reserves league. Or is it that the AFL just gets pleasure out of destroying state leagues?
Blackwhite
Reserves

Has liked: 58 times
Been liked: 44 times
Grassroots Team: Payneham NU

Postby tigerpie » Thu Jan 16, 2014 7:57 am

Just expand the Foxtel cup!
People get a full day at the footy for their hard earned, and get to keep an eye on the "developing" lads.
Surely its not that hard?
tigerpie
Assistant Coach

Postby Booney » Thu Jan 16, 2014 8:18 am

tigerpie wrote:Precisely!
Back in 2009 the AFL convinced (twisted the arm) the SANFL to change the junior setup to u18.
The sanfl has bent over again to cater to the whims of the afl much to the detriment of the competition.

*ahem*

There is no AFL reserves competition at the moment.
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

Has liked: 7467 times
Been liked: 10755 times

Postby beenreal » Thu Jan 16, 2014 9:12 am

Blackwhite wrote:How much can an AFL reserves league cost? Surely that would be a better option than killing state leagues. And I'm sure sponsors would cover the cost of an AFL reserves league. Or is it that the AFL just gets pleasure out of destroying state leagues?

The AFL has no interest in a Reserves competition. But if they did, there is no doubt they would pay for it by pulling funding from junior development programs around the country.

Is that what you really want?
PORT ADELAIDE FOOTBALL CLUB
Serving the community since 1870
Developing footballers for 143 years
Proud of the Past, Confident of the Future
beenreal
League Bench Warmer

Has liked: 24 times
Been liked: 11 times
Grassroots Team: Seaton Ramblers

Postby Dogwatcher » Thu Jan 16, 2014 9:27 am

Looking forward to the Adelaide Lightning and 36ers getting reserves sides in the CABL.
You're my only friend, and you don't even like me.
Dogwatcher
Coach

Has liked: 1425 times
Been liked: 1152 times
Grassroots Team: Elizabeth

Postby MightyEagles » Thu Jan 16, 2014 10:05 am

Blackwhite wrote:How much can an AFL reserves league cost? Surely that would be a better option than killing state leagues. And I'm sure sponsors would cover the cost of an AFL reserves league. Or is it that the AFL just gets pleasure out of destroying state leagues?

Get Andrew and the rest of the idiots at AFL House to cut their wages. But that won't happen.
WOOOOO, Premiers 1993, 2006 and 2011!
Eagles - P 528 W 320 L 205 D 3 W% 60.89
WFC - P 575 W 160 L 411 D 4 W% 28.17
WTFC - P 1568 W 702 L 841 D 25 W% 45.56
Total - P 2671 W 1183 L 1457 D 32 W% 44.88
3 Flags - 1 Club
MightyEagles
Coach

Has liked: 10 times
Been liked: 12 times
Grassroots Team: United Eagles

Postby Pseudo » Thu Jan 16, 2014 10:14 am

MightyEagles wrote:

Get Andrew and the rest of the idiots at AFL House to cut their wages. But that won't happen.

Make a component of Demetriou's bonus conditional on an AFL reserves league turning a profit. I reckon ol' Andy would have a queue of sponsors lined up by the end of the week.

But why do something requiring a little work when you can sit on your ample arse and get paid for it, while the AFL clubs tear the arse out of the state leagues?
Clowns OUT. Smears OUT. RESIST THE OCCUPATION.
Pseudo
Coach

Been liked: 1553 times
Grassroots Team: Marion

Postby RB » Thu Jan 16, 2014 12:03 pm

Booney wrote:
tigerpie wrote:Precisely!

*ahem*

There is no AFL reserves competition at the moment.

The implication that the AFL teams therefore have a right to field reserves sides in the SANFL smacks of arrogance.
R.I.P. the SANFL 1877 - 2013
RB
Coach

Has liked: 759 times
Been liked: 1073 times

Postby tigerpie » Thu Jan 16, 2014 12:11 pm

Pseudo wrote:
MightyEagles wrote:

Make a component of Demetriou's bonus conditional on an AFL reserves league turning a profit. I reckon ol' Andy would have a queue of sponsors lined up by the end of the week.

But why do something requiring a little work when you can sit on your ample arse and get paid for it, while the AFL clubs tear the arse out of the state leagues?

You read my mind Pseudo,
Extra work, a little more stress...why bother when we can let the state leagues handle it.
tigerpie
Assistant Coach

Postby Grahaml » Thu Jan 16, 2014 2:52 pm

An AFL reserves competition is the ideal solution. No messing about with other competitions and all clubs in the same boat regarding top up players. Not sure it would cost that much extra either if you simply have the reserves playing in a curtain raiser to the main game as we've been doing in footy for over 100 years. I imagine this is something the AFL have spoken about internally and wouldn't be surprised one bit if it turned out to be the next major goal after settling down the expansion clubs.
Grahaml
Assistant Coach

Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 169 times

Postby Blackwhite » Thu Jan 16, 2014 7:22 pm

Grahaml wrote:An AFL reserves competition is the ideal solution. No messing about with other competitions and all clubs in the same boat regarding top up players. Not sure it would cost that much extra either if you simply have the reserves playing in a curtain raiser to the main game as we've been doing in footy for over 100 years. I imagine this is something the AFL have spoken about internally and wouldn't be surprised one bit if it turned out to be the next major goal after settling down the expansion clubs.

Realistically, an AFL reserves league can't cost all that much if games were played as a curtain raiser to the main game (it only makes sense to do it this way).. Sponsors would jump at the opportunity of sponsoring an AFL reserves league. For gods sake, surely this is the way to go rather then destroying all the state leagues!!
Blackwhite
Reserves

Has liked: 58 times
Been liked: 44 times
Grassroots Team: Payneham NU

Postby Mic » Thu Jan 16, 2014 8:50 pm

Blackwhite wrote:
Grahaml wrote:An AFL reserves competition is the ideal solution. No messing about with other competitions and all clubs in the same boat regarding top up players. Not sure it would cost that much extra either if you simply have the reserves playing in a curtain raiser to the main game as we've been doing in footy for over 100 years. I imagine this is something the AFL have spoken about internally and wouldn't be surprised one bit if it turned out to be the next major goal after settling down the expansion clubs.

Realistically, an AFL reserves league can't cost all that much if games were played as a curtain raiser to the main game (it only makes sense to do it this way).. Sponsors would jump at the opportunity of sponsoring an AFL reserves league. For gods sake, surely this is the way to go rather then destroying all the state leagues!!

It's perfect for the AFL that reserves teams play in state leagues - no work, no stress, no cost, etc. I'm sure it's a bargain for AFL teams too.
Mic
League - Top 5

Has liked: 166 times
Been liked: 144 times

Postby Wedgie » Thu Jan 16, 2014 9:26 pm

There's no use in talking about AFL reserves, Australian Footy has too many players to make it economical and the fact the AFL don't want games on the grounds before games makes it impossible again.
It really is no use talking about.
The pathetic low level A League doesn't even have games on their grounds beforehand.
Wedgie
Site Admin

Has liked: 2020 times
Been liked: 3862 times
Grassroots Team: Noarlunga

PreviousNext

Board index   Football  SANFL