The Magpies Are Now The AFL Power Reserves

All discussions to do with the SANFL

The Magpies Are Now The AFL Power Reserves

Postby Apachebulldog » Tue Jan 14, 2014 9:29 am

This debate which was initiated in the Rumours of Players thread has a home now.

As most of us all the integrity of SANFL has been compromised with the introduction of TWO AFL Reserves sides.

The AFL Power RESERVES side which will be playing in the SANFL in2014 will be badged as the Magpies.

The question is why are they not badged as the Power and wear the Black and Teal colours of the Power after all it is a Power RESERVES side ????

As a SANFL fan for forty or so years I personally think this is so disrespectful to the real Magpie teams of the past and to most of their supporters.

Magpies 1870 - 2013 R.I.P.
SANFL 2000 - 2011 Central District 12 consecutive Grand Final appearances and 9 Premierships.

WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOFFFFFFFFFF.

Hit em hard let them get up and hit em again.
Apachebulldog
League - Best 21

Has liked: 381 times
Been liked: 115 times

Re: The Magpies Are Now The AFL Power Reserves

Postby Wedgie » Tue Jan 14, 2014 9:31 am

Has about 25 homes actually, but what's one more?
Wedgie
Site Admin

Has liked: 2020 times
Been liked: 3862 times
Grassroots Team: Noarlunga

Postby Apachebulldog » Tue Jan 14, 2014 9:33 am

Yeah I know but this is the latest to refresh everyones memory LOL
SANFL 2000 - 2011 Central District 12 consecutive Grand Final appearances and 9 Premierships.

Apachebulldog
League - Best 21

Postby Wedgie » Tue Jan 14, 2014 9:37 am

Yeah because its so hard to click on the reply button to one of the dozens of topics already discussing it.
Wedgie
Site Admin

Postby stan » Tue Jan 14, 2014 9:48 am

Just another place for some soap boxing. Bring yout own box.
Read my reply. It is directed at you because you have double standards
stan
Coach

Has liked: 88 times
Been liked: 1253 times
Grassroots Team: Goodwood Saints

Postby beenreal » Tue Jan 14, 2014 9:49 am

Apachebulldog wrote:This debate which was initiated in the Rumours of Players thread has a home now.

As most of us all the integrity of SANFL has been compromised with the introduction of TWO AFL Reserves sides.

The AFL Power RESERVES side which will be playing in the SANFL in2014 will be badged as the Magpies.

The question is why are they not badged as the Power and wear the Black and Teal colours of the Power after all it is a Power RESERVES side ????

As a SANFL fan for forty or so years I personally think this is so disrespectful to the real Magpie teams of the past and to most of their supporters.

Magpies 1870 - 2013 R.I.P.

Since you're such a "know all" about all things Port Adelaide, I'd expect you to know the PAFC wasn't the Magpies until 1903.

I can just imaging the ilk of "supporters" like B&W wailing from the outer at Alberton. Black and White? NO, it'll be the death of the club. That's it, I'm out of here because I'm not supporting any club that's not the Magentas!
PORT ADELAIDE FOOTBALL CLUB
Serving the community since 1870
Developing footballers for 143 years
Proud of the Past, Confident of the Future
beenreal
League Bench Warmer

Has liked: 24 times
Been liked: 11 times
Grassroots Team: Seaton Ramblers

Postby Panther Pack » Tue Jan 14, 2014 9:54 am

Yeah I don't really understand why Port Adelaide's reserves aren't called the Power also. Surely the club is not worried supporters will drop off cause of a nickname! The histroy of the club does not change.

Clubs have changed their nicknames all the time. South used to be known as the Blues but then changed to the Panthers.

I guess supporters can either accept the club has a new nickname or guernsey or choose not to follow the club anymore.
Panther Pack
Reserves

Been liked: 137 times

Postby Apachebulldog » Tue Jan 14, 2014 10:00 am

Yes I know a lot of there history the Magentas Cockle Divers Wharfies Fos Williams Russell Ebert plenty of premierships won by the real Magpie sides !!!!!

Apachebulldog
League - Best 21

Postby kickinit » Tue Jan 14, 2014 10:19 am

Why aren't they called the power? Because the only reason why port afl side is called the power is because of collingwood. Would you still be crying if collingwood weren't in the afl and the power where called the magpies?
We're on this journey together, One Heart, One Club and they will Never Ever Tear Us Apart.
kickinit
League - Top 5

Has liked: 38 times
Been liked: 95 times

Postby areaman » Tue Jan 14, 2014 10:32 am

beenreal wrote:Since you're such a "know all" about all things Port Adelaide, I'd expect you to know the PAFC wasn't the Magpies until 1903.

I can just imaging the ilk of "supporters" like B&W wailing from the outer at Alberton. Black and White? NO, it'll be the death of the club. That's it, I'm out of here because I'm not supporting any club that's not the Magentas!

What are your thoughts on the club changing its name from Port Adelaide to something likely to attact a broader supporter base?

I know it won't change your support for the club with your loyalty etc.
areaman
Under 16s

Has liked: 11 times
Been liked: 31 times

Postby Booney » Tue Jan 14, 2014 10:49 am

Just when you thought Mighty Eagles "Nurses" thread and UK Fan's "Norwood screwed" thread couldn't be trumped along comes Apache with this ripsnorter.

I dips me lid to you, Apache. I dips me lid.
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

Has liked: 7466 times
Been liked: 10754 times

Postby beenreal » Tue Jan 14, 2014 11:11 am

areaman wrote:
beenreal wrote:Since you're such a "know all" about all things Port Adelaide, I'd expect you to know the PAFC wasn't the Magpies until 1903.

What are your thoughts on the club changing its name from Port Adelaide to something likely to attact a broader supporter base?

I know it won't change your support for the club with your loyalty etc.

Won't happen, it's been done. On the back of advice from "marketing gurus" the club went down that path during the John James era. All it did was alienate the core supporters (the low hanging fruit) while not delivering a sustainable "new breed".

Being true to oneself is the path to sustainable growth, as is being demonstrated now. That is why the PAFC has fought so hard to maintain its junior programs and community links.
PORT ADELAIDE FOOTBALL CLUB
Serving the community since 1870
Developing footballers for 143 years
Proud of the Past, Confident of the Future
beenreal
League Bench Warmer

Been liked: 11 times
Grassroots Team: Seaton Ramblers

Postby am Bays » Tue Jan 14, 2014 12:02 pm

Booney wrote:Just when you thought Mighty Eagles "Nurses" thread and UK Fan's "Norwood screwed" thread couldn't be trumped along comes Apache with this ripsnorter.

I like the threads originality. it's good to break new ground and not debate/discuss the same subject matter over and over again on here.

Helps keep the vibe and general freshness of the site on the up, who needs Diss and his format changes!!
Let that be a lesson to you Port, no one beats the Bays five times in a row in a GF and gets away with it!!!
am Bays
Coach

Has liked: 162 times
Been liked: 1804 times

Postby Wedgie » Tue Jan 14, 2014 12:20 pm

am Bays wrote:
Booney wrote:Just when you thought Mighty Eagles "Nurses" thread and UK Fan's "Norwood screwed" thread couldn't be trumped along comes Apache with this ripsnorter.

I like the threads originality. it's good to break new ground and not debate/discuss the same subject matter over and over again on here.

Helps keep the vibe and general freshness of the site on the up, who needs Diss and his format changes!!

But did SAFooty really get a new freshness or did the original SAFooty give its name to a new website on a new server with a different look, for arguments sake let's call it SAFooty Power.
Is the original SAFooty dead after the SAFooty Power took it over and dumped it?
Wedgie
Site Admin

Postby Rik E Boy » Tue Jan 14, 2014 12:50 pm

Who have Norwood screwed over more? Centrals. Who can't fathom that the SANFL was in fact compromised in 1991? Centrals. Problem Solvered.

regards,

REB
Rik E Boy
Coach

Has liked: 1697 times
Been liked: 1813 times

Postby csbowes » Tue Jan 14, 2014 1:14 pm

I think the Power is making a mistake by badging its reserves team as the Magpies. The whole problem with identity (in my opinion) stemmed from moving away from the Magpies creed and starting up the new Power ethos and hoping everyone would forget they hated the Magpies and suddenly become Power fans overnight. As we know, this didn't happen, they simply alienated some of the Magpie community and lost out

Then the club tried to bring the Magpie creed back in, all that "One Club" crap, while at the same slowly strangling the Magpie club to death, taking them out of the SANFL board, making them a subsidiary, treating them like a retarded cousin. Now they have well and truly knifed the Magpie club, but are trying to say all is alive and well at Magpie land in some sort of "Weekend at Bernie's" nightmare charade.

The PAFC should just put the Magpie name to rest, honour its history and be the Power in both the AFL and SANFL. It keeps marketing and colours consistent and ends the which club is which and who's on first and all that crap we've been hearing for years.

I hate seeing the Magpies dead, but they are, so stop stuffing about and just promote the Power like you want to...
csbowes
League - Best 21

Has liked: 0 time
Been liked: 77 times

Postby Apachebulldog » Tue Jan 14, 2014 1:16 pm

Booney ya gotta keep this site vibrant and people interested and ready for the new season ahead which will be full of surprises .

It seems to me that some supporters of the SANFL still do not realise that their are TWO NEW AFL RESERVES teams that will be playing in 2014.

One team I assume will have the Crows colours the other team the Power will be badged as the Magpies DUHHHHHHHHHHH !!!!!

The operative words are AUSTRALIAN FOOTBALL LEAGUE RESERVES team ( AFL )

What do SANFL supporters really think does it make sense. NO what happened to the Power One Club concept ????

Mindboggling is it not LOL .

Apachebulldog
League - Best 21

Postby Apachebulldog » Tue Jan 14, 2014 1:18 pm

I totally agree CSBOWES you understand .

Apachebulldog
League - Best 21

Postby Apachebulldog » Tue Jan 14, 2014 1:22 pm

Its 45.2 degrees out in the full sun at the moment nothing better than debating the AFL RESERVES debacle until the Power runs out lol.

Hey and no smart comments back that I am suffering from heat stroke LOL.

Apachebulldog
League - Best 21

Postby Fricky » Tue Jan 14, 2014 2:30 pm

Isn't it just a name change from Magpies to Power? The guernsey will change but it wont be the first time in Port Adelaide's history that the colours of their guernsey has changed
Essendon were the 'Dons before being known as the Bombers.
Fitzroy went from being known as the Maroons to the Gorillas to the Lions before amalgamating with Brisbane.
Richmond were the Wasps prior to being known as the Tigers.
Yes the Magpies might be dead but the Port Adelaide Footy Club will live on, and isn't that who people support?
Fricky
League - Best 21

Has liked: 93 times
Been liked: 120 times
Grassroots Team: Walkerville

Next

Board index   Football  SANFL