Internet service providers

Computers, Gadgets, Software, Electronics, etc.

Re: Internet service providers

Postby bennymacca » Fri May 30, 2014 10:01 am

Yeah had the techs out 5+ times. I was one of the very early adopters, I have had WiMAX basically as soon as it came out. Been in my current house over 6 years and I can't remember having adsl1 for long...

Much better than adsl1 but I scoff with laughter any time people bring it up as a viable alternative to FTTH because it sure ain't that!
bennymacca
Coach

Has liked: 2253 times
Been liked: 1803 times
Grassroots Team: Freeling

Postby mighty hounds » Fri May 30, 2014 12:10 pm

bennymacca wrote:Yeah had the techs out 5+ times. I was one of the very early adopters, I have had WiMAX basically as soon as it came out. Been in my current house over 6 years and I can't remember having adsl1 for long...

Much better than adsl1 but I scoff with laughter any time people bring it up as a viable alternative to FTTH because it sure ain't that!

Interesting. I wonder if it was me who came around!?
mighty hounds
Coach

Has liked: 89 times
Been liked: 285 times

Postby bennymacca » Fri May 30, 2014 7:52 pm

Dear Ben
We can use equipment from Adams Wimax service, and we offer 12/1Mbps constant some people
get higher.I can`t make comments about other internet providers but we do have a special
price for ex Adam customers set up fee 99.95 for 0month contract.
Regards
Ted
bennymacca
Coach

Postby tipper » Thu Jun 12, 2014 10:27 am

on Nuskope, they have just upped their plans. the $60 100 gig plan is now 200 gig, and all plans above it have doubled their data also

not spruiking them, but i noticed their upgrade as i have been looking into them since reading this thread (i am lucky to get dialup speed at my place on a supposedly adsl2 plan.....) and i signed up tuesday :) now just have to wait till next week to see if im able to get a decent wireless signal from para hills. not sure how successful it will be, large gumtrees abound around me, so not sure what sort of signal ill get, if any.

ill post the results up here after the installer checks our place out thursday next week if anyone is interested.
tipper
League - Top 5

Has liked: 359 times
Been liked: 531 times
Grassroots Team: Peake

Postby bennymacca » Thu Jun 12, 2014 10:31 am

Wow, that is very likely to make me want to check them out. Especially if they are letting me change for $100 and no contract.
bennymacca
Coach

Postby tipper » Thu Jun 12, 2014 1:32 pm

yep, the deals are much better value now, although i was going to sign up anyway purely for the increased speeds and reliability (hopefully) and i didnt mind paying more/getting less due to that. The increased caps are just icing on the cake.
tipper
League - Top 5

Postby tipper » Thu Jun 19, 2014 10:14 am

tipper wrote:on Nuskope, they have just upped their plans. the $60 100 gig plan is now 200 gig, and all plans above it have doubled their data also

not spruiking them, but i noticed their upgrade as i have been looking into them since reading this thread (i am lucky to get dialup speed at my place on a supposedly adsl2 plan.....) and i signed up tuesday :) now just have to wait till next week to see if im able to get a decent wireless signal from para hills. not sure how successful it will be, large gumtrees abound around me, so not sure what sort of signal ill get, if any.

ill post the results up here after the installer checks our place out thursday next week if anyone is interested.

being installed as we speak. not sure how its going as i am at work and have left it in the capable hands of my missus :rolleyes: from the few texts she has sent though it seems that i can get signal from my place, as the installer hasnt packed up and left yet!

pretty good installer too, was at the door at 8.30 supposedly. better than other tradies that make you waste the entire day waiting for them to show up.
tipper
League - Top 5

Postby HH3 » Thu Jun 19, 2014 10:23 am

tipper wrote:being installed as we speak. not sure how its going as i am at work and have left it in the capable hands of my missus :rolleyes: from the few texts she has sent though it seems that i can get signal from my place, as the installer hasnt packed up and left yet!

pretty good installer too, was at the door at 8.30 supposedly. better than other tradies that make you waste the entire day waiting for them to show up.

I've watched too many dubious "films" to leave the missus home with a tradie :lol:

Does anyone have Foxtel Play on their PS3 or PS4? Im thinking about signing up, but have WiMax and not sure if its gonna run smoothly, or if theres gonna be a shitload of buffering...
I TOLD YOU SO

2013/14 NFL Tipping Comp Champion
HH3
Coach

Has liked: 3301 times
Been liked: 2432 times
Grassroots Team: North Haven

Postby heater31 » Thu Jun 19, 2014 10:27 am

HH3 wrote:
Does anyone have Foxtel Play on their PS3 or PS4? Im thinking about signing up, but have WiMax and not sure if its gonna run smoothly, or if theres gonna be a shitload of buffering...

Is that available on the PS platform now? Thought it was only xbox.
heater31

Has liked: 525 times
Been liked: 1259 times

Postby tipper » Thu Jun 19, 2014 10:28 am

.....and i spoke too soon. stupid ******* para hills and all its ******* gum trees. signal too weak to get a reliable connection. i have no issue with Nuskope over this, it was my worry all along that we wouldnt get line of sight, and it seems i was correct. looks like im stuck with internet speeds straight out of the dark ages. we seriously used to get better speeds on ******* dialup ten years ago at my parents place.....

**** para hills and the technological black hole that it is :evil:
tipper
League - Top 5

Postby HH3 » Thu Jun 19, 2014 10:32 am

heater31 wrote:
HH3 wrote:

Is that available on the PS platform now? Thought it was only xbox.

Yeah the apps been on my user interface on the PS4 for a few weeks now. Just deciding whether to download it. A guy at work got it a couple of days ago and said its good, but he's got a new place at Seaford, and he has NBN. Just wondering if anyone on WiMax has it.
I TOLD YOU SO

HH3
Coach

Postby bennymacca » Thu Jun 19, 2014 6:22 pm

I have used my brothers login to use foxtel go on my laptop, which is basically the same thing as foxtel play, and on my WiMAX it is horrible in prime time hours. But your connection could be better than mine. I think they do a 7 day trial, correct? Worth doing.
bennymacca
Coach

Postby bennymacca » Thu Jun 19, 2014 6:23 pm

It's still pretty expensive too. $50 a month for basic and sport. Uses around 1 gig an hour too. So you would want a decent connection.
bennymacca
Coach

Postby Wedgie » Thu Jun 19, 2014 6:30 pm

Yeah you'd need nbn or cable. I have it and only one person in the house can use it or if someone's online its useless. Mind you were on friggin Optus.:(
Wedgie
Site Admin

Has liked: 2021 times
Been liked: 3862 times
Grassroots Team: Noarlunga

Postby HH3 » Thu Jun 19, 2014 6:42 pm

Thanks fellas. Yeah theres a 14 day free trial, so ill give it a crack. I mostly watch telly after 9pm, so hopefully the connections good then.
I TOLD YOU SO

HH3
Coach

Postby bennymacca » Thu Jun 19, 2014 6:43 pm

It works really well if you have a stable connection, but I don't, so I hardly use it, even when it is effectively free as I am using my brothers login
bennymacca
Coach

Postby Dutchy » Fri Jun 20, 2014 4:12 pm

Any hints on how to extend the range of Wi-fi in a house? Are those range extenders you can buy worth it?
Dutchy
Site Admin

Has liked: 2311 times
Been liked: 3482 times

Postby bennymacca » Fri Jun 20, 2014 5:40 pm

Dutchy wrote:Any hints on how to extend the range of Wi-fi in a house? Are those range extenders you can buy worth it?

1. buy a new router with a better wifi antenna
2. run cables
3. wifi extenders - seem to work well in my experience.
4. ethernet over power - uses the copper in your house as a wired network. heard mixed things but wouldnt be too bad.
bennymacca
Coach

Postby kickinit » Fri Jun 20, 2014 8:52 pm

Dutchy wrote:Any hints on how to extend the range of Wi-fi in a house? Are those range extenders you can buy worth it?

After having big issues with wifi on my modem, decided to buy a new modem. I tried all of the top modem to find I either had crappy speed or crappy wifi connection. Ended up keeping my original modem and buying a Apple Airport Extreme. $119 from JB and wifi has never been better. I never had problems with speed it was always trying to stay connected over wifi or connecting to wifi.
We're on this journey together, One Heart, One Club and they will Never Ever Tear Us Apart.
kickinit
League - Top 5

Has liked: 38 times
Been liked: 95 times

Postby GWW » Thu Jul 24, 2014 8:16 pm

I have Foxtel and am looking into utilising the FOXTEL GO app - I have Wireless through Iprimus, and a pocket wifi through Optus.

Does anyone know - would either of the above work with Foxtel GO...and if so, would the data come out of the monthly allowance, or would there be an extra cost on top of the monthly account ISP account?
GWW

Has liked: 816 times
Been liked: 166 times

PreviousNext

Board index   General Talk  Technology & Gadgets