Shark Culling - Yes or No?

Anything!

Re: Shark Culling - Yes or No?

Postby scoob » Fri Jan 31, 2014 9:48 am

Groover wrote:No, culling sharks is not the answer. Afterall they aren't the deadliest thing in the ocean.
Whats next? Culling of the blue ringed octopus and Box Jellyfish?

Every animal in the ocean serves a purpose, you start culling sharks and you will find another problem will arise due to the change in environment.

Interesting point, but if we are to go along with that logic wouldn't we need to stop fishing every species in the ocean for the balance to be restored?

Reduced stock fish in the system would require less Sharks to control them? More sharks less fish - more sharks looking for a food source?
scoob
Veteran

Has liked: 17 times
Been liked: 87 times

Postby tigerpie » Fri Jan 31, 2014 9:57 am

cute.jpg
cute.jpg (60.47 KiB) Viewed 1249 times
;)
tigerpie
Assistant Coach

Has liked: 501 times
Been liked: 431 times

Postby Groover » Fri Jan 31, 2014 10:00 am

scoob wrote:
Groover wrote:No, culling sharks is not the answer. Afterall they aren't the deadliest thing in the ocean.
Whats next? Culling of the blue ringed octopus and Box Jellyfish?

Every animal in the ocean serves a purpose, you start culling sharks and you will find another problem will arise due to the change in environment.

Interesting point, but if we are to go along with that logic wouldn't we need to stop fishing every species in the ocean for the balance to be restored?

Reduced stock fish in the system would require less Sharks to control them? More sharks less fish - more sharks looking for a food source?

Don't we have a system in place in which we control what we fish? (be it size or quantity) which helps reduce the impact of fishing.
Hogg Shield Premier League Winner 2012
Groover
League - Top 5

Has liked: 222 times
Been liked: 386 times
Grassroots Team: Brahma Lodge

Postby woodublieve12 » Fri Jan 31, 2014 10:02 am

"Fellas, it’s OK to be in pain. It’s OK to hurt. It’s OK to be sad. It’s no longer OK to suffer in silence."
woodublieve12
Coach

Has liked: 3026 times
Been liked: 2401 times

Postby bennymacca » Fri Jan 31, 2014 10:03 am

scoob wrote:

they do some pretty extensive research these days to make sure they dont fish a species to extinction in a certain area, including not fishing for them in breeding season etc etc.

sharks are just one of those animals that invokes a fear response in almost all of us. the thought that you could be having a nice family day at the beach, and then BANG horrific death, is enough for a lot of people, including it seems WA government, to act irrationally.
bennymacca
Coach

Has liked: 2253 times
Been liked: 1803 times
Grassroots Team: Freeling

Postby Psyber » Fri Jan 31, 2014 10:16 am

I've assumed sharks may be coming into shore more than they were because of depleted fish stocks, due to overfishing by an excessive human planetary population. Culling sharks seems to be tackling the problem at the wrong end.
EPIGENETICS - Lamarck was right!
Psyber
Coach

Has liked: 103 times
Been liked: 390 times
Grassroots Team: Hahndorf

Postby bennymacca » Fri Jan 31, 2014 10:18 am

Psyber wrote:I've assumed sharks may be coming into shore more than they were because of depleted fish stocks, due to overfishing by an excessive human planetary population. Culling sharks seems to be tackling the problem at the wrong end.

even if the above were true, is 7 shark attacks in 3 years actually a problem? doesnt seem it to me.
bennymacca
Coach

Postby saintal » Fri Jan 31, 2014 10:19 am

No.
SAFC- 60 years...
StKFC- 58 years..
saintal
Coach

Has liked: 346 times
Been liked: 429 times

Postby Psyber » Fri Jan 31, 2014 10:21 am

bennymacca wrote:
Psyber wrote:I've assumed sharks may be coming into shore more than they were because of depleted fish stocks, due to overfishing by an excessive human planetary population. Culling sharks seems to be tackling the problem at the wrong end.

even if the above were true, is 7 shark attacks in 3 years actually a problem? doesnt seem it to me.

I agree - I was implying (tongue in cheek) that 7 human losses in 3 years was insufficient to fix the real problem...
EPIGENETICS - Lamarck was right!
Psyber
Coach

Has liked: 103 times
Been liked: 390 times
Grassroots Team: Hahndorf

Postby bennymacca » Fri Jan 31, 2014 10:23 am

yeah fair enough

did you know that 100% of people that drink water DIE?
bennymacca
Coach

Postby The Sleeping Giant » Fri Jan 31, 2014 10:34 am

Since the great white has been protected, their numbers have increased dramatically. We used to have a white experience every 2nd time out fishing in the St Vincent gulf. Awesome animals.
Cannabis is safer than alcohol
The Sleeping Giant
Coach

Has liked: 69 times
Been liked: 193 times

Postby scoob » Fri Jan 31, 2014 10:47 am

bennymacca wrote:

Completely unrelated but just an interesting observation of how we view numbers and statistics - how many people have been killed by a single punch in the last few years?

Everyone agrees something needs to be done stop it occurring.
scoob
Veteran

Has liked: 17 times
Been liked: 87 times

Postby bennymacca » Fri Jan 31, 2014 11:02 am

That points to a wider culture of alcohol fuelled violence though, and the perception that punching someone once doesn't have consequences, which is why it is being highlighted
bennymacca
Coach

Postby Squids » Fri Jan 31, 2014 11:44 am

Ding ding ding we have a winner. Recreational bag limits look ridiculous when the super trawler was going to be allowed to rape and pillage our oceans. Commercial fishers are also a massive problem, their limits are way too generous and its the recreational fisher that gets punished....ie. halving of the crab quota in the Saint Vincent Gulf.

There has also been an abundance of New Zealand fur seals in recent years....these just make a tasty lunch for the sharks. This is something that needs to be investigated. Why are they hear and how can we get rid of them.

While it sucks when a human is taken there are heaps of risks when you enter the water. People are still blood naive to the risk though....take for example Port Germein jetty on a high tide at dusk....you will see people swimming at the end of the jetty........the Germein bay is home to some of the biggest sharks around. I've seen two large sharks fishing off the jetty and have heard reports of a lot more. Only a matter of time before someone is attacked and it won't be the sharks fault.
Squids
Coach

Has liked: 28 times
Been liked: 205 times
Grassroots Team: Ports

Postby bennymacca » Fri Jan 31, 2014 11:46 am

Drowning deaths at sea would still be orders of magnitude higher. Should we all wear floaties in the water?
bennymacca
Coach

Postby Squids » Fri Jan 31, 2014 11:49 am

bennymacca wrote:Drowning deaths at sea would still be orders of magnitude higher. Should we all wear floaties in the water?

If the have nfi they should swim between the flags. ie. Don't swim in the calm looking bit of water you clown.
Squids
Coach

Has liked: 28 times
Been liked: 205 times
Grassroots Team: Ports

Postby bennymacca » Fri Jan 31, 2014 11:54 am

thats my point, there is an inherent level of risk attatched to swimming in the ocean that we are prepared to accept, and sharks would be a small part of that risk
bennymacca
Coach

Postby Footy Chick » Fri Jan 31, 2014 1:49 pm

and box jellyfish and irukandji and blue-ringed octopi and cone shells and bluebottles and lionfish and stonefish.

Kind of reminds me of song the Scared Weird Little guys wrote, one of my favourites!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KeMarRzd28w

Don't play games with a girl who can play 'em better...

Gatt_Weasel wrote:if they (Walkerville) dont win the flag ill run around the block of my street naked :) you can grab a chair and enjoy the view
Footy Chick

Has liked: 1738 times
Been liked: 2146 times

Postby bennymacca » Fri Jan 31, 2014 1:54 pm

come to australia, you might accidentally get killed :D
bennymacca
Coach

Postby heater31 » Fri Jan 31, 2014 1:57 pm

bennymacca wrote:come to australia, you might accidentally get killed :D

Maybe we should get the Navy to play this song to stop the boats.....
heater31

Has liked: 525 times
Been liked: 1263 times

PreviousNext

Board index   General Talk  General Discussion