Crows Disgrace

All discussions to do with the SANFL

Re: Crows Disgrace

Postby D14 » Thu Feb 06, 2014 8:57 am

Booney wrote:
HH3 wrote:I dont see whats wrong with them saying "our history started in 1990, we have two flags, and 23 years of being competitive".

I dont like them, but surely they would be one of the most consistent at playing finals over the last 23 years. Could be wrong.

Exactly. They seem as though they can't accept their own pedigree.

Exactly, their history started in 1990 when the South Australian National Football League (the state league) created them. Yes their playing history started in 1990, but they represented all of the SANFL clubs and SA in the AFL. For all of their heritage jumpers they have acknowledged South Australia and the SANFL (previously wearing a former state jumper, 2005), their team colours were chosen to be the same as the state jumper. They as a club constantly talk about football in this state and promote it, the power only promote the Port Adelaide FC and acknowledge their own heritage, which is their right, but leads to them not being able to promote the SANFL and football in this state. The crows can do this and have done for over 20 years. South Australians have the right to support any team they choose, just as the crows have the right to honour SA and the SANFL that created them.
D14
Under 16s

Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 3 times
Grassroots Team: Hope Valley

Postby Booney » Thu Feb 06, 2014 9:00 am

D14 wrote:
Booney wrote:
HH3 wrote:I dont see whats wrong with them saying "our history started in 1990, we have two flags, and 23 years of being competitive".

I dont like them, but surely they would be one of the most consistent at playing finals over the last 23 years. Could be wrong.

Exactly, their history started in 1990 when the South Australian National Football League (the state league) created them. Yes their playing history started in 1990, but they represented all of the SANFL clubs and SA in the AFL. For all of their heritage jumpers they have acknowledged South Australia and the SANFL (previously wearing a former state jumper, 2005), their team colours were chosen to be the same as the state jumper. They as a club constantly talk about football in this state and promote it, the power only promote the Port Adelaide FC and acknowledge their own heritage, which is their right, but leads to them not being able to promote the SANFL and football in this state. The crows can do this and have done for over 20 years. South Australians have the right to support any team they choose, just as the crows have the right to honour SA and the SANFL that created them.

We'll have to agree to disagree here. They never represented me or my family nor many of my friends. The only people they represented were the one's who chose to support them, nobody else.
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

Has liked: 7491 times
Been liked: 10772 times

Postby D14 » Thu Feb 06, 2014 9:01 am

heater31 wrote:

Problem is that they are trying to claim an Adelaide Football club formed in the 1860's and disbanded.

The conduct of this club in the past 18 or so months is nothing short of a disgrace. Salary cap breaches and the CEO still keeps his job, back flipped on the reserves issue and made hollow threats, now they want to wear a state jumper against their cross town rival. Deadset wankers this mob

The are not trying to claim a former club but link the fact that an Adelaide FC played in the city in the 1860s and it will be happening again in 2014.
D14
Under 16s

Postby D14 » Thu Feb 06, 2014 9:04 am

Booney wrote:
D14 wrote:
Booney wrote:

We'll have to agree to disagree here. They never represented me or my family nor many of my friends. The only people they represented were the one's who chose to support them, nobody else.

Well they did represent SA you just chose not to support them because your club was blocked from joining the AFL
D14
Under 16s

Postby Wedgie » Thu Feb 06, 2014 9:05 am

Nor did they adopt the state colours, the state Guernsey traditionally had a Royal blue, not navy blue. Fitzroy were closer to our state colours at the time.
They never represented SA just like Melbourne don't represent Victoria.
To state otherwise would be ignorant.
Wedgie
Site Admin

Has liked: 2042 times
Been liked: 3887 times
Grassroots Team: Noarlunga

Postby Panther Pack » Thu Feb 06, 2014 9:07 am

Im a member down at South and I can tell you 1 thing they don't represent the South Adelaide Football CLub.

In fact I believe they are competing against us this season and also don't want to be affiliated with South (hence the Licence buy back)

Also with the exception of Kyle Hatigan I can't remember the last time I saw anyone from the Adelaide Football Club down at Noarlunga!!!

Representing us I think not Sir!!!!!!!!!
Panther Pack
Reserves

Has liked: 24 times
Been liked: 139 times

Postby Wedgie » Thu Feb 06, 2014 9:08 am

Port should consider wearing the national guernsey for this match.
Wedgie
Site Admin

Postby Booney » Thu Feb 06, 2014 9:09 am

D14 wrote:
Well they did represent SA you just chose not to support them because your club was blocked from joining the AFL

No, the team that wears the State guernsey and plays under the name "South Australia" represents our state. Not a club in a national competition. Therein lies the difference.
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

Postby Wedgie » Thu Feb 06, 2014 9:12 am

The Power must be pissing themselves laughing in the last couple of years, the best marketing they've ever done is just sit back quietly while the Crows deliver one **** up after another.
Wedgie
Site Admin

Postby D14 » Thu Feb 06, 2014 9:13 am

Wedgie wrote:Nor did they adopt the state colours, the state Guernsey traditionally had a Royal blue, not navy blue. Fitzroy were closer to our state colours at the time.

The swans, bears, eagles and the crows all originally represented their states in the AFL (swans a little different because of South Melbourne). The melbourne clubs heritage do not represent their state because they came from a state competition that was joined by clubs from other states.
D14
Under 16s

Postby Booney » Thu Feb 06, 2014 9:16 am

Wedgie wrote:The Power must be pissing themselves laughing in the last couple of years, the best marketing they've ever done is just sit back quietly while the Crows deliver one **** up after another.

All positive news coming from Alberton for the last 12 months, nothing but cock up after cock up from West Lakes. They were laying low. One thing worse then negative press is no press at all.
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

Postby D14 » Thu Feb 06, 2014 9:18 am

Wedgie wrote:The Power must be pissing themselves laughing in the last couple of years, the best marketing they've ever done is just sit back quietly while the Crows deliver one **** up after another.

How quickly people forget the creed.
D14
Under 16s

Postby Booney » Thu Feb 06, 2014 9:21 am

D14 wrote:

I laugh every single time the Creed gets mentioned in a negative sense. Read it and tell me all football clubs should not aspire to it.
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

Postby OnSong » Thu Feb 06, 2014 9:25 am

Just a few points:

For those annoyed people from outside SA will be we wearing a replica state guernsey, no one seems to give a crap when Phil Hughes fronts for South Australia and represents our state at the highest level. Wears the coveted baggy red etc. Graham Cornes, a Victorian, wore the SA guernsey 21 times and captained the team. Precedents all over the place here.

The guernsey is commemorative in nature. Celebrating SA's footy heritage. They'll still run out as the Adelaide Crows, a team you may or may not support. No one is claiming to represent South Australia. Simply honouring the footy heritage.

And all this banging on about tainting history, yada yada yada. The state guernsey has been dead at the highest level for more than a decade.
Towards the end, the state guernsey lost its lustre. Players were preferring to play for their club over their state and risking their careers. At least, in this one-off occasion, the blokes running out there in that SA replica guernsey will want to be there. They'll want to be wearing it. They may not be all South Australians. But heck, it sure has thrust South Australian football back into the spotlight. The revamped Adelaide Oval will be packed to the brim. History is great, but this is a new era, like it or not.
Right in front of me. RIGHT IN FRONT OF ME!
OnSong
Coach

Has liked: 524 times
Been liked: 543 times

Postby Macca19 » Thu Feb 06, 2014 9:27 am

Was interested to hear Trigg say on radio this morning that if this was a Crows home game they wouldnt be doing it.
Macca19
League - Best 21

Has liked: 5 times
Been liked: 10 times
Grassroots Team: Ports

Postby Panther Pack » Thu Feb 06, 2014 9:28 am

Represent Heritage wouldn't this be done in Heritage Round?
Panther Pack
Reserves

Has liked: 24 times
Been liked: 139 times

Postby heater31 » Thu Feb 06, 2014 9:29 am

Macca19 wrote:Was interested to hear Trigg say on radio this morning that if this was a Crows home game they wouldnt be doing it.

What a wanker! He should even have a job in the AFL system and he chooses to wheel out statements like this :roll:
heater31

Has liked: 525 times
Been liked: 1263 times

Postby Booney » Thu Feb 06, 2014 9:34 am

OnSong wrote:Just a few points:

For those annoyed people from outside SA will be we wearing a replica state guernsey, no one seems to give a crap when Phil Hughes fronts for South Australia and represents our state at the highest level. Wears the coveted baggy red etc. Graham Cornes, a Victorian, wore the SA guernsey 21 times and captained the team. Precedents all over the place here.

The guernsey is commemorative in nature. Celebrating SA's footy heritage. They'll still run out as the Adelaide Crows, a team you may or may not support. No one is claiming to represent South Australia. Simply honouring the footy heritage.

And all this banging on about tainting history, yada yada yada. The state guernsey has been dead at the highest level for more than a decade.
Towards the end, the state guernsey lost its lustre. Players were preferring to play for their club over their state and risking their careers. At least, in this one-off occasion, the blokes running out there in that SA replica guernsey will want to be there. They'll want to be wearing it. They may not be all South Australians. But heck, it sure has thrust South Australian football back into the spotlight. The revamped Adelaide Oval will be packed to the brim. History is great, but this is a new era, like it or not.

I thought Phil Hughes plays for South Australia in a state based competition where each state has one team. So yes, he is representing South Australia.

Differing, one would think, from the AFC in the AFL.
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

Postby Wedgie » Thu Feb 06, 2014 9:34 am

D14 wrote:
Wedgie wrote:Nor did they adopt the state colours, the state Guernsey traditionally had a Royal blue, not navy blue. Fitzroy were closer to our state colours at the time.

The swans, bears, eagles and the crows all originally represented their states in the AFL (swans a little different because of South Melbourne). The melbourne clubs heritage do not represent their state because they came from a state competition that was joined by clubs from other states.

No they never did, if you choose to believe that then you're completely ignorant.
Its a club based competition, always has been, always will be.
There has been state based competitions every now and then but the VFL/AFL is not one of them.
Its sad that people believe the crap thrown at them without thinking, mind you its not surprising as Crows and West Coast fans are collectively easily the most unintelligent football followers in the world.
Wedgie
Site Admin

Postby D14 » Thu Feb 06, 2014 9:34 am

Booney wrote:
D14 wrote:

I laugh every single time the Creed gets mentioned in a negative sense. Read it and tell me all football clubs should not aspire to it.

The power got smashed for alienating their members who didn't follow the magpies and their crowds and membership died because of it. They did an awesome job last year to rectify this but it doesn't change the fact they were a mess of a club for years before this. One good year does not erase the past. By the way I hope they continue to improve both on and off the field.
D14
Under 16s

PreviousNext

Board index   Football  SANFL