Young coaches.

Adelaide Footy League Talk

Young coaches.

Postby Footy Chick » Tue Feb 18, 2014 3:28 pm

It was just mentioned in the D4 thread that a 24 year old DJ McIntryre will be coaching B grade at Salisbury West and I for one wish him well :D

Can young coaches be successful?

Has your club had any young coaches at senior level that have really stood up to the test?. Lets say young for the purposes of this conversation is Under 30.

WUB, how old were you when you won your first flag as coach please? I reckon you'd be up there...

*edit* I should change that to "May coach at Westies" hasn't actually been confirmed yet..
Don't play games with a girl who can play 'em better...

Gatt_Weasel wrote:if they (Walkerville) dont win the flag ill run around the block of my street naked :) you can grab a chair and enjoy the view
Footy Chick

Has liked: 1737 times
Been liked: 2144 times

Re: Young coaches.

Postby woodublieve12 » Tue Feb 18, 2014 3:32 pm

Footy Chick wrote:It was just mentioned in the D4 thread that a 24 year old DJ McIntryre will be coaching B grade at Salisbury West and I for one wish him well :D

Can young coaches be successful?

Has your club had any young coaches at senior level that have really stood up to the test?.

WUB, how old were you when you won your first flag as coach please? I reckon you'd be up there...

turned 28 the day of the grand final...
Last edited by woodublieve12 on Tue Feb 18, 2014 3:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Fellas, it’s OK to be in pain. It’s OK to hurt. It’s OK to be sad. It’s no longer OK to suffer in silence."
woodublieve12
Coach

Has liked: 3016 times
Been liked: 2384 times

Postby Q. » Tue Feb 18, 2014 3:34 pm

It's not easy coaching the B Grade and then backing up to play the A Grade game.
Q.
Coach

Has liked: 970 times
Been liked: 2396 times
Grassroots Team: Houghton Districts

Postby Phantom Gossiper » Tue Feb 18, 2014 3:44 pm

Yes young coaches can be successfull, age shouldn't be a factor or barrier if the person is capable of doing the job.
Phantom Gossiper
Coach

Has liked: 402 times
Been liked: 285 times

Postby Footy Chick » Tue Feb 18, 2014 3:47 pm

I don't disagree, however others may be of the opinion they haven't the experience that an older coach/someone just finished their career may have.
Don't play games with a girl who can play 'em better...

Gatt_Weasel wrote:if they (Walkerville) dont win the flag ill run around the block of my street naked :) you can grab a chair and enjoy the view
Footy Chick

Has liked: 1737 times
Been liked: 2144 times

Postby Phantom Gossiper » Tue Feb 18, 2014 4:15 pm

Footy Chick wrote:I don't disagree, however others may be of the opinion they haven't the experience that an older coach/someone just finished their career may have.

How is someone expected to gain experience in coaching if not given the opportunity? What's to say the younger coach isnt more in tune or understanding of the game than the older bloke?

Neil Kerley started his coaching career at 27...
Phantom Gossiper
Coach

Postby S Demon » Tue Feb 18, 2014 8:11 pm

I was 31 when I coached our C grade premiership
S Demon
Assistant Coach

Has liked: 312 times
Been liked: 370 times
Grassroots Team: Hope Valley

Postby Yank Man » Tue Feb 18, 2014 8:33 pm

Footy Chick wrote:I don't disagree, however others may be of the opinion they haven't the experience that an older coach/someone just finished their career may have.

There's really no substitute for experience FC. A young coach can be successful if he's got the B's under a good A grade coach and the club has depth. Outside that he would need to be very very special. Took me 14 years of coaching to get my 1st A grade flag.
Yank Man
League - Top 5

Has liked: 57 times
Been liked: 316 times
Grassroots Team: Edwardstown

Postby BZB27 » Tue Feb 18, 2014 9:22 pm

In 2011 at Salisbury we had a 23 year old coach the B's and he took us to the grand final. He was a very good coach and he had the respect of all the playing group.
BZB27
League - Best 21

Has liked: 216 times
Been liked: 173 times
Grassroots Team: Salisbury

Postby woodublieve12 » Tue Feb 18, 2014 9:29 pm

S Demon wrote:I was 31 when I coached our C grade premiership

To old for this forum mate ;)
"Fellas, it’s OK to be in pain. It’s OK to hurt. It’s OK to be sad. It’s no longer OK to suffer in silence."
woodublieve12
Coach

Postby woodublieve12 » Tue Feb 18, 2014 10:52 pm

Yank Man wrote:

There's really no substitute for experience FC. A young coach can be successful if he's got the B's under a good A grade coach and the club has depth. Outside that he would need to be very very special. Took me 14 years of coaching to get my 1st A grade flag.

.. Probably the best coach I've ever had went a whole season without winning a game and he was under 30... And should be contributed somewhat were the club is today... Hope he never reads this forum.
Mike Tomlin coach of the steelers won a Super Bowl at 35, Also was an assistant when he won one at the ripe old age of 29....
woodublieve12
Coach

Postby Jetters » Tue Feb 18, 2014 11:51 pm

I think 24 is too young. Definitely for A grade, may handle it in B grade with the right support.

The issue is not understanding of the game, it is being able to manage people and for an A grade coach being the figure head of a club.

If the young coach has had experience in their professional lives in teaching/coaching/leadership roles they may be equipped to do it.

Having said that, most coaches no matter their age are rubbish, have little idea about coaching and are just loud passionate supporters.
Jetters
Reserves

Has liked: 106 times
Been liked: 119 times
Grassroots Team: Unley

Postby SATCHEL » Wed Feb 19, 2014 8:29 am

Im 33 (today actually) and i am going into my 4th year as coach. In my first year of C3 we made it to 4th after being bottom or 2nd bottom fo r a few years. Same result for the next year in C2. I got a chance to coach our B grade last year and to be honest it was very difficult to acclimitise to coaching against guys that have been in the system for so long and against guys that either couldnt fit in to the 1's due to points or form slump. Now being in Div 1 i guess the prerssure will be even greater for someone like me. I do agree completely that you must have a decent and accomodating A grade coach to support and guide you through everything. I was extremely vocal and emotional in some respects and just a few tweeks i had help to pull my head in basically and worry about the game instead of trying to call it. It is tough when you are young but i hear stories all the time of current coaches starting their careers as player coaches at the age of 24-27 back in the day. Big difference now days but same principle applies. If you have the respect and belief of the palying group and especially the club. You should have no issue in getting some success. Some people take it lightly and get burnt out but then they need to be able to admit that and get some help. Overall im loving the start to my coaching career. Working with the young lads and try to teach them somethign that i have learnt a long the way. If i can get through to one bloke and he gets rewraded then thats all im after (a part from a flag as I've never been part of one in my senior football where i have been a player or coach) fingers crossed!
SATCHEL
League Bench Warmer

Has liked: 32 times
Been liked: 53 times
Grassroots Team: Wingfield Royals

Postby Phantom Gossiper » Wed Feb 19, 2014 8:33 am

Yank Man wrote:There's really no substitute for experience FC. A young coach can be successful if he's got the B's under a good A grade coach and the club has depth. Outside that he would need to be very very special. Took me 14 years of coaching to get my 1st A grade flag.

Surely winning an A grade flag is the sole determining factor in what makes a good/successful coach?! I'm sure there is a large list of coaches who have been regarded as successfull or good that havent won a premiership - Geoff Riddle is a name that instantly springs to mind with what he was able to accomplish with Mawson Lakes.

On the flip side, i'm sure there are plenty of coaches who possibly weren't the best but were fortunate to be in charge of a side that the depth and calibre of players to win flags regardless of who was at the helm.
Phantom Gossiper
Coach

Postby Phantom Gossiper » Wed Feb 19, 2014 8:35 am

SATCHEL wrote:Im 33 (today actually)

Happy birthday :D
Phantom Gossiper
Coach

Postby Mr Beefy » Wed Feb 19, 2014 9:15 am

I think our current coach could do with a few more years experience but he'll learn ;)
Mr Beefy
Coach

Has liked: 404 times
Been liked: 651 times
Grassroots Team: Rosewater

Postby The Riddler » Wed Feb 19, 2014 9:58 am

Jetters wrote:I think 24 is too young. Definitely for A grade, may handle it in B grade with the right support.

The issue is not understanding of the game, it is being able to manage people and for an A grade coach being the figure head of a club.

If the young coach has had experience in their professional lives in teaching/coaching/leadership roles they may be equipped to do it.

Having said that, most coaches no matter their age are rubbish, have little idea about coaching and are just loud passionate supporters.

:lol:
The Riddler
League - Top 5

Has liked: 84 times
Been liked: 29 times

Postby Hefty » Wed Feb 19, 2014 10:59 am

I was 35 last year and coached our D grade to 8th. Bit surpised the club didn't offer me the A grade position this year.
Hefty
League Bench Warmer

Has liked: 133 times
Been liked: 110 times
Grassroots Team: Golden Grove

Postby old farmer » Wed Feb 19, 2014 5:25 pm

Our current coach Daniel Schell is 31 and has been coaching B grade sides for 4 or 5 years. The experience from that definitely shows now in his first A grade gig. His knowledge and communication skills are fantastic, especially with the younger guys and U18's which he would have worked a lot with in his time as a B Grade coach.
Our C Grade coach last year, Matthew Bedgegood, was a young fella too. Now a B Grade coach at Kilburn, I'm sure his future is bright and the experience he is gaining now will go a long way to him being a very good A grade coach down the track
Success is not final; failure is not fatal: It is the courage to continue that counts....
old farmer
League Bench Warmer

Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 112 times
Grassroots Team: Ingle Farm

Postby cracka » Wed Feb 19, 2014 6:11 pm

Jetters wrote:I think 24 is too young. Definitely for A grade, may handle it in B grade with the right support.

I really hope you are a coach & are just taking the p!ss.
cracka
Veteran

Has liked: 458 times
Been liked: 560 times
Grassroots Team: Onkaparinga Valley

Next

Board index   Football  Other Footy Leagues  Adelaide Footy League