Geelong 2014

Talk on the national game

Re: Geelong 2014

Postby Rik E Boy » Tue Apr 29, 2014 12:44 pm

Booney wrote:
Rik E Boy wrote:
bennymacca wrote:
Phantom Gossiper wrote:Selwood.. is there actually any games he plays where he doesnt end up with his head bandaged? :lol:

not when you basically try and get people to hit you in the head every week by ducking into them

NFI

You should know better, you watch Selwood every week.

Feels pressure, bends knees and rolls shoulders, causing high contact and getting the free kick. Do it enough, as he does, one of them is going to split you open at some stage. Why do Cats fans not see this?

Yeah, that's all he does. Why do non Cats fans not see this?

regards,

REB
Rik E Boy
Coach

Has liked: 1697 times
Been liked: 1813 times

Postby MatteeG » Tue Apr 29, 2014 2:20 pm

bennymacca wrote:
Geelong have done exceedingly well in blooding their youngsters over the past few years, though i still think they lack a young midfielder that has really taken the step up. Duncan possibly, and i guess christensen when he is back, but they seem to have a lot of half forward finisher types, and not many that do the real grunt work.

maybe Hunt and guthrie are those lads that will step up and be the inside mids.

I'd say Caddy is the most likely to fill those shoes. Looks the goods (when on the field).
helicopterking wrote:Flaggies will choke. Always have.
MatteeG
Assistant Coach

Has liked: 524 times
Been liked: 511 times
Grassroots Team: Flagstaff Hill

Postby bennymacca » Tue Apr 29, 2014 2:22 pm

Yeah I agree. Unfortunate that he got injured because he was looking ok. Still a couple of years off holding the midfield in his own right though. And selwood will be there for a long time yet
bennymacca
Coach

Has liked: 2253 times
Been liked: 1803 times
Grassroots Team: Freeling

Postby Rik E Boy » Wed Apr 30, 2014 12:58 pm

bennymacca wrote:varcoe is the one mentioned almost every year as trade bait, but he never leaves. agree with you though, he could...

Stevie J could still play for another few years. go back to being a permanent forward and he will kick you 50 goals a year. Similar to what ablett will do for GC in the coming years.

Geelong have done exceedingly well in blooding their youngsters over the past few years, though i still think they lack a young midfielder that has really taken the step up. Duncan possibly, and i guess christensen when he is back, but they seem to have a lot of half forward finisher types, and not many that do the real grunt work.

maybe Hunt and guthrie are those lads that will step up and be the inside mids.

Varcoe was offered for trade and no one wanted him. If he doesn't do the business this year he'll end up at Centrals or Adelaide next season. In the last couple of years Steve Johnson and Matty Stokes have been successfully included in the midfield rotations. If someone told me three years ago that we would make an inside mid out of Stokes I would not have believed it. Not many 'young midfielders' are going to have an impact at AFL level. When was the last time a Cat draftee was put in the middle for Geelong in his first year?

Geelong's system is VFL apprenticeship. As mentioned in this thread Josh Caddy is the standout younger midfielder but Mitch Duncan is another who has slowly gotten his chance in the midfield. Two young players who have really stood up this year in Cameron Guthrie and George Horlin-Smith but looking ahead I can see them getting extensive midfield time particular Guthrie who is being groomed as a stopper seeing as in recent seasons star midfielders have been having a picnic at our expense. Guthrie is good enough to evolve past being a tagger.

Young midfielders don't do the 'grunt work' at Geelong, they get groomed for it. When the opportunity is there, they go for it. Some will make it some won't. With Stephen Wells in charge of recruiting I have no concerns in this area.

regards,

REB
Rik E Boy
Coach

Postby bennymacca » Wed Apr 30, 2014 1:05 pm

good post.

one other area that the cats seem to look a bit thin is up forward. I dont really rate any of your big forwards except for hawkins obviously, and he is pretty inconsistent.

Having said that, a little like port, they more than make up for it in small forwards, and in particular getting goals out of their midfield, which im pretty sure they would lead the competition at
bennymacca
Coach

Postby Mr Beefy » Tue May 27, 2014 10:44 am

Whats the go with Geelong having 2 x 6 day breaks in a row having to go to Sydney to play them after a 13 day break?
Mr Beefy
Coach

Has liked: 404 times
Been liked: 651 times
Grassroots Team: Rosewater

Postby bennymacca » Tue May 27, 2014 11:53 am

Stupid bias against the Victorian teams!
bennymacca
Coach

Postby daysofourlives » Tue May 27, 2014 5:35 pm

Mr Beefy wrote:Whats the go with Geelong having 2 x 6 day breaks in a row having to go to Sydney to play them after a 13 day break?

You're no orphan, Hawks had similar recently with 3, 6 day breaks in a row.
Supercoach Spring Racing Champion 2019
Spargo's Good Friday Cup Champion 2020
daysofourlives
Coach

Has liked: 2415 times
Been liked: 1657 times
Grassroots Team: Angaston

Postby Rik E Boy » Wed May 28, 2014 1:04 pm

daysofourlives wrote:
Mr Beefy wrote:Whats the go with Geelong having 2 x 6 day breaks in a row having to go to Sydney to play them after a 13 day break?

It's no mystery boys. The AFL has had a gutful of Hawthorn and Geelong being in the top four every year. Only Sydney is allowed to do that. Imagine if the Hawks or the Cats got the Giants twice a year every season.

Now the COLA's gone the time is ticking down on the Swans. They will be Lion like before they know it.

regards,

REB
Rik E Boy
Coach

Postby woodublieve12 » Wed May 28, 2014 1:21 pm

Rik E Boy wrote:
daysofourlives wrote:

It's no mystery boys. The AFL has had a gutful of Hawthorn and Geelong being in the top four every year. Only Sydney is allowed to do that. Imagine if the Hawks or the Cats got the Giants twice a year every season.

Now the COLA's gone the time is ticking down on the Swans. They will be Lion like before they know it.

regards,

REB

:roll:
the last 2 season coming into finals our last 4 rounds have been tougher then anyone elses.... Not to mention we have to play at ANZ.... Also we played the hawks with only a 6 day break this year...
you've been top for almost a decade, and you piss and moan about this nonsense... You want marquee games you have to sacrifice sometimes. you aren't the only teams who do it!!!
"Fellas, it’s OK to be in pain. It’s OK to hurt. It’s OK to be sad. It’s no longer OK to suffer in silence."
woodublieve12
Coach

Has liked: 3016 times
Been liked: 2384 times

Postby bennymacca » Wed May 28, 2014 1:25 pm

Lol. Hilarious rick.

I bet you can find consecutive 8 day breaks in their schedule too.
bennymacca
Coach

Postby Bum Crack » Wed May 28, 2014 2:32 pm

2 day, 6 day or 8 day who cares. we'll give the Swans a touch up tomorrow and Hawkins and Selwood will dominate. Guaranteed
So you've seen everything have you?
Yep
Have you ever seen a man eat his own head?
No
Well you haven't seen everything then have you.
Bum Crack
Coach

Has liked: 320 times
Been liked: 885 times
Grassroots Team: Berri

Postby woodublieve12 » Wed May 28, 2014 2:34 pm

Bum Crack wrote:2 day, 6 day or 8 day who cares. we'll give the Swans a touch up tomorrow and Hawkins and Selwood will dominate. Guaranteed

i reckon you will too
"Fellas, it’s OK to be in pain. It’s OK to hurt. It’s OK to be sad. It’s no longer OK to suffer in silence."
woodublieve12
Coach

Postby Bum Crack » Wed May 28, 2014 2:41 pm

woodublieve12 wrote:
Bum Crack wrote:2 day, 6 day or 8 day who cares. we'll give the Swans a touch up tomorrow and Hawkins and Selwood will dominate. Guaranteed

i reckon you will too

i see you're trying the reverse psychology but it won't work for you this week sorry. Get on the Catters!!!!
Yep
No
Bum Crack
Coach

Postby woodublieve12 » Wed May 28, 2014 2:48 pm

Bum Crack wrote:
woodublieve12 wrote:

i reckon you will too

i see you're trying the reverse psychology but it won't work for you this week sorry. Get on the Catters!!!!

:lol: nah not at all... our form against you lot recently has been pretty average...
woodublieve12
Coach

Postby woodublieve12 » Wed May 28, 2014 2:56 pm

Tom Lonergan (Buddy will be rapt) & Corey Enright have both been ruled out
woodublieve12
Coach

Postby Bum Crack » Wed May 28, 2014 3:43 pm

woodublieve12 wrote:Tom Lonergan (Buddy will be rapt) & Corey Enright have both been ruled out

maybe i'll take that back :lol:
Yep
No
Bum Crack
Coach

Postby Rik E Boy » Wed May 28, 2014 6:22 pm

woodublieve12 wrote:
Rik E Boy wrote:
daysofourlives wrote:

regards,

REB

:roll:
the last 2 season coming into finals our last 4 rounds have been tougher then anyone elses.... Not to mention we have to play at ANZ.... Also we played the hawks with only a 6 day break this year...
you've been top for almost a decade, and you piss and moan about this nonsense... You want marquee games you have to sacrifice sometimes. you aren't the only teams who do it!!!

Fair enough but enough with the "Sydney have it tough " act, it would make an Easter Island statue laugh.

regards,

REB
Rik E Boy
Coach

Postby Rik E Boy » Wed May 28, 2014 6:23 pm

bennymacca wrote:Lol. Hilarious rick.

I bet you can find consecutive 8 day breaks in their schedule too.

Feel free man you're telling the story.

regards,

REB
Rik E Boy
Coach

Postby Rik E Boy » Wed May 28, 2014 6:24 pm

woodublieve12 wrote:Tom Lonergan (Buddy will be rapt) & Corey Enright have both been ruled out

dislike!

:(
Rik E Boy
Coach

PreviousNext

Board index   Football  AFL