King William Road / Sheffield Shield

First Class Cricket Talk (International and State)

Re: King William Road

Postby Phantom Gossiper » Mon Feb 24, 2014 3:04 pm

Stumps wrote:Yes the pitch is flat. Which is why we shouldn't have enforce the follow on. With vic having something to chase there was always more chance of getting the 20 wkts. Who cares if they won outright
Thought it was a Bad decision at the time and was proven

Geez no pleasing some of you - last week it was abuse because the 'backs didnt enforce the follow on, this week it's because they did! :? :shock:
Phantom Gossiper
Coach

Has liked: 402 times
Been liked: 285 times

Postby Brodlach » Mon Feb 24, 2014 3:07 pm

Phantom Gossiper wrote:
Stumps wrote:Yes the pitch is flat. Which is why we shouldn't have enforce the follow on. With vic having something to chase there was always more chance of getting the 20 wkts. Who cares if they won outright
Thought it was a Bad decision at the time and was proven

Geez no pleasing some of you - last week it was abuse because the 'backs didnt enforce the follow on, this week it's because they did! :? :shock:

Haters gonna hate
July 11th 2012....
Brodlach wrote:Rory Laird might end up the best IMO, he is an absolute jet. He has been in great form at the Bloods
Brodlach
Coach

Has liked: 72 times
Been liked: 4207 times
Grassroots Team: Colonel Light Gardens

Postby whufc » Mon Feb 24, 2014 3:19 pm

With amount of cricket the first class cricketers are playing I think the days of enforcing the follow on are long gone, the rest between innings is to valuable to the bowlers.

Especially these days where the fast bowlers don't necessarily sit down at fine leg in between overs are they are expected to be more accountable in the field
RIP PH408 63notoutforever
whufc
Coach

Has liked: 5566 times
Been liked: 2519 times
Grassroots Team: BSR

Postby Booney » Mon Feb 24, 2014 3:33 pm

mal wrote:
The Sleeping Giant wrote:Fair enough.

I'm saying SA isn't disadvantaged by the pitch.

Pitch is the same for both sides. SA has the worst shield record in the history of the game.

Think Think Think
YES the pitch is the same for both sides
Both sides bat well at Adelaide oval
Whats does this mean ?
Harder to get 6 point results

LAST SEASON
LOOK at the results in Tasmania last season
Both sides batted on a crapp pitch in the games in Tassie
Bowlers dominate from both sides
Easier to get 6 point games

I cant make this any clearer

2 1/2 day games in Tassie dictated by sloppy green tops where either team can crumble and give up 6 points Vs Adelaide Oval where teams have to earn an outright victory by batting, bowling and fielding well.

Some would say the cricket purist in you* has disappeared.

Perhaps the other states should prepare wickets that make teams earn 6 points rather than make it almost a fait accompli that 6 points comes out of the game?

Keep in mind, just because Tassie prep up sloppy green tops doesn't assure them the 6 points.
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

Has liked: 7467 times
Been liked: 10755 times

Postby scoob » Mon Feb 24, 2014 4:08 pm

would help us to bowl sides out if Botha didnt bowl himself for 1000 overs each match
scoob
Veteran

Has liked: 17 times
Been liked: 87 times

Postby Brodlach » Mon Feb 24, 2014 4:18 pm

scoob wrote:would help us to bowl sides out if Botha didnt bowl himself for 1000 overs each match

How much have you actually seen him bowl?
July 11th 2012....
Brodlach wrote:Rory Laird might end up the best IMO, he is an absolute jet. He has been in great form at the Bloods
Brodlach
Coach

Has liked: 72 times
Been liked: 4207 times
Grassroots Team: Colonel Light Gardens

Postby scoob » Mon Feb 24, 2014 4:22 pm

Brodlach wrote:
scoob wrote:would help us to bowl sides out if Botha didnt bowl himself for 1000 overs each match

How much have you actually seen him bowl?

Never actually seen him bowl....

seen him throw plenty
scoob
Veteran

Postby scoob » Mon Feb 24, 2014 4:33 pm

Sack the Curator FFS.....

Did Berry bring him in from Victoria aswell?
scoob
Veteran

Postby mal » Mon Feb 24, 2014 7:34 pm

Saw 2 games last season where there was give in the Adelaide Oval pitch at the end of the season
Very low scoring games for Adelaide Oval
Last season there were 4 outrights and one game on first innings
SA greatly improved on recent seasons and almost made a SS final in 2012/2013

But this season the pitches seem to be much flatter
Last game v VI the pitch looked very flat on the 4th day
Reports are its been flatter this season than last season
By virtue SA has won 3 games outright on the road , and played very very well at this stage of the season
mal
Coach

Has liked: 1141 times
Been liked: 892 times

Postby The Sleeping Giant » Mon Feb 24, 2014 7:39 pm

Drop in pitch?
Cannabis is safer than alcohol
The Sleeping Giant
Coach

Has liked: 69 times
Been liked: 193 times

Postby mal » Mon Feb 24, 2014 9:24 pm

The Sleeping Giant wrote:Drop in pitch?

Dunno what goes on with the drop in pitches
Maybe after least year there was a directive to have a better batting one this season ?

Been told Mr Darren Berry said on radio last season that some other pitches around Australia were doctored for results ?
Mr Berry said the onus was on states to produce better wickets to produce better cricketers for National duty ?
mal
Coach

Has liked: 1141 times
Been liked: 892 times

Postby The Sleeping Giant » Mon Feb 24, 2014 10:15 pm

mal wrote:
The Sleeping Giant wrote:Drop in pitch?

Dunno what goes on with the drop in pitches

They don't seem to break up much. MCG has been using them for a few years now. 15 years ago (or there bouts) the MCG pitch used to be very hard to bat on during the 4th and 5th days. Very up and down. These days it just seems to get drier, but still play pretty even.
Cannabis is safer than alcohol
The Sleeping Giant
Coach

Has liked: 69 times
Been liked: 193 times

Postby tigerpie » Tue Feb 25, 2014 12:14 am

My take on the drop ins is this.

They dont have any winter sport on them so have complete, consistent depth grass cover. So consequently are flat as.

Pitches with footy played on them will generally be a little patchy, especially early, so variable bounce as well as variable pace is common. These wickets tend to break up more when its dry too as the cracks are worse where there is no root system to hold it together.

Unless an absolute greeny is made then get used to big first innings scores.
tigerpie
Assistant Coach

Has liked: 498 times
Been liked: 429 times

Postby BillyBunter » Tue Feb 25, 2014 7:12 am

Drop in pitches!!!

Did Ian McLachlan not promise us they would be no different to the old Adelaide Oval pitches?
From what I understand there is a big difference between the two with drop in pitches not breaking up like the old pitches.
All the drop in pitches in Australia have not been good for SS cricket or test match cricket they come up OK for 20/20 and 50 /50 but come up short with the longer game.

Don’t know much about the currant curator at the oval other than seeing him on TV every now and again, but has he any experience in drop in pitches?
I know from seminars that SACA have run over the years and listening to him present Les Burdett’s former 2ic was sent around Australia and over seas by SACA to learn about drop in pitches and producing different pitches, Don’t know what he is doing now but he is no longer working at the Oval.

For the sake of good cricket we can only hope that the curator gets it right and can produce a pitch that has some thing in it early for the bowlers than flatten out for the batters and take spin later in the game.
BillyBunter
Mini-League

Has liked: 0 time
Been liked: 0 time

Postby tigerpie » Tue Feb 25, 2014 8:49 am

BillyBunter wrote:Drop in pitches!!!

Did Ian McLachlan not promise us they would be no different to the old Adelaide Oval pitches?
From what I understand there is a big difference between the two with drop in pitches not breaking up like the old pitches.
All the drop in pitches in Australia have not been good for SS cricket or test match cricket they come up OK for 20/20 and 50 /50 but come up short with the longer game.

Don’t know much about the currant curator at the oval other than seeing him on TV every now and again, but has he any experience in drop in pitches?
I know from seminars that SACA have run over the years and listening to him present Les Burdett’s former 2ic was sent around Australia and over seas by SACA to learn about drop in pitches and producing different pitches, Don’t know what he is doing now but he is no longer working at the Oval.

For the sake of good cricket we can only hope that the curator gets it right and can produce a pitch that has some thing in it early for the bowlers than flatten out for the batters and take spin later in the game.

Are you saying Damian Hough has left? I dont think that is the case at all.
tigerpie
Assistant Coach

Has liked: 498 times
Been liked: 429 times

Postby Q. » Tue Feb 25, 2014 9:06 am

BillyBunter wrote:Don’t know much about the currant curator at the oval other than seeing him on TV every now and again, but has he any experience in drop in pitches?

I heard he was very grapeful to get the job.
Q.
Coach

Has liked: 970 times
Been liked: 2396 times
Grassroots Team: Houghton Districts

Postby BillyBunter » Tue Feb 25, 2014 9:20 am

Burdett’s former 2ic was Boxy ( not sure of his first name)
He was Burdett’s under study for 20+ years and traveled interstate and overseas with him to work on projects.
He use to come out to grade grounds and give advice to local curators.
BillyBunter
Mini-League

Has liked: 0 time
Been liked: 0 time

Postby bennymacca » Tue Feb 25, 2014 11:27 am

i heard earlier in the year that brand new drop in pitches seem to hold together extremely well, and take a few seasons to "settle"

question that im not actually sure of - is the pitch the same every single year? i.e is that grass the same grass that goes in year after year?

my first comment seems to answer my question but if thats the case, do they ever change the soil over?
bennymacca
Coach

Has liked: 2253 times
Been liked: 1803 times
Grassroots Team: Freeling

Postby mickey » Tue Feb 25, 2014 11:41 am

bennymacca wrote:i heard earlier in the year that brand new drop in pitches seem to hold together extremely well, and take a few seasons to "settle"

question that im not actually sure of - is the pitch the same every single year? i.e is that grass the same grass that goes in year after year?

my first comment seems to answer my question but if thats the case, do they ever change the soil over?

Once the pitch is built, thats it. You may get some grass replaced in the crease area, but from season to season the clay and turf are the same. Just like a traditional wicket square.
mickey
Coach

Has liked: 137 times
Been liked: 312 times
Grassroots Team: Seaton Ramblers

Postby heater31 » Tue Feb 25, 2014 11:46 am

mickey wrote:
bennymacca wrote:i heard earlier in the year that brand new drop in pitches seem to hold together extremely well, and take a few seasons to "settle"

Once the pitch is built, thats it. You may get some grass replaced in the crease area, but from season to season the clay and turf are the same. Just like a traditional wicket square.

Like traditional squares eventually the whole thing has to be replaced, but given that during winter it can be removed and placed into more controlled conditions it should be lasting a long time.
heater31

Has liked: 525 times
Been liked: 1259 times

PreviousNext

Board index   Other Sports  Cricket