Port (Power Reserves) 2014

All discussions to do with the SANFL

Re: Port (Power Reserves) 2014

Postby whufc » Tue Mar 04, 2014 4:20 pm

Booney wrote:
Ecky wrote:Apologies if this is common knowledge, but one thing I haven't heard yet is whether AFL-listed Port players are eligible to play for the Port SANFL reserves side (if their form isn't up to SANFL League level for example)? Do you know beenreal?

Therein lies what the ruling is.

If AFL players must play ahead of any SANFL players then there isn't enough on the AFL list to fill AFL, emergencies and SANFL league.

If SANFL players, like Summerton, Raikiwasa are in the SANFL league side then surely AFL rookies like Byrne-Jones etc would be playing SANFL reserves.

Having spoke to someone involved in the power coaching staff, he is led to believe that all power players rookies included will be selected in the league side ahead of any magpies listed players.

But even he was unclear though as to whether that was a written rule or just the powers prerogative which could change depending on results.
RIP PH408 63notoutforever
whufc
Coach

Has liked: 5588 times
Been liked: 2529 times
Grassroots Team: BSR

Postby Booney » Tue Mar 04, 2014 4:31 pm

whufc wrote:
Booney wrote:
Ecky wrote:Apologies if this is common knowledge, but one thing I haven't heard yet is whether AFL-listed Port players are eligible to play for the Port SANFL reserves side (if their form isn't up to SANFL League level for example)? Do you know beenreal?

If AFL players must play ahead of any SANFL players then there isn't enough on the AFL list to fill AFL, emergencies and SANFL league.

If SANFL players, like Summerton, Raikiwasa are in the SANFL league side then surely AFL rookies like Byrne-Jones etc would be playing SANFL reserves.

Having spoke to someone involved in the power coaching staff, he is led to believe that all power players rookies included will be selected in the league side ahead of any magpies listed players.

But even he was unclear though as to whether that was a written rule or just the powers prerogative which could change depending on results.

I believe it was in the original offer, from the SANFL. I'm not sure what was signed off on by all the parties though.
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

Has liked: 7491 times
Been liked: 10772 times

Postby beenreal » Tue Mar 04, 2014 5:08 pm

It comes down to commitment to the cause. The PAFC will lose credibility with their community involvement if it becomes obvious they are not committed to SANFL success. EVERY word that has come out of Port Adelaide has stood firm on that commitment. Energy Australia upped their financial package on the basis of that commitment.

Port Adelaide has never shied away from dropping AFL listed players to the SANFL Reserves when form warranted, as demonstrated by Ben Newton for 3 Seconds games last year.
PORT ADELAIDE FOOTBALL CLUB
Serving the community since 1870
Developing footballers for 143 years
Proud of the Past, Confident of the Future
beenreal
League Bench Warmer

Has liked: 24 times
Been liked: 11 times
Grassroots Team: Seaton Ramblers

Postby Sanflfirst » Tue Mar 04, 2014 6:12 pm

In my opinion Port Adelaide would lose whatever credibility it had if it moved away from the terms of the agreement it reached with the SANFL for entry of a team into the SANFL League competition. Unless the agreement has been changed then as per the media statement from the SANFL on 10th Sept 2013 which states clearly that all Port Adelaide AFL listed players must play in the SANFL League team if not selected for the AFL team, stands. It is very clear that this is the agreement so I'm somewhat staggered that apparently the coaching staff at the Port Magpies don't understand this! If there's been a change to the terms of the agreement then I wish someone would release it.
Sanflfirst
Mini-League

Has liked: 0 time
Been liked: 0 time
Grassroots Team: Andamooka

Postby JK » Tue Mar 04, 2014 6:27 pm

beenreal wrote:It comes down to commitment to the cause. The PAFC will lose credibility with their community involvement if it becomes obvious they are not committed to SANFL success. EVERY word that has come out of Port Adelaide has stood firm on that commitment. Energy Australia upped their financial package on the basis of that commitment.

Must admit, I agree with this. I can't see Port ever going in anything without wanting to win it, their supporters wouldn't stand for any other attitude.
FUSC
JK
Coach

Has liked: 4458 times
Been liked: 2986 times
Grassroots Team: SMOSH West Lakes

Postby dedja » Tue Mar 04, 2014 7:24 pm

Very true ... If you're referring to the AFL comp.
It is better to be silent and be thought a fool, than to speak and remove all doubt
dedja
Coach

Has liked: 176 times
Been liked: 992 times

Postby JK » Tue Mar 04, 2014 7:26 pm

dedja wrote:Very true ... If you're referring to the AFL comp.

Reckon the same approach will apply in the SANFL mate .. Obviously if the AFL injuries rack up, there wont be much they can do about it.
FUSC
JK
Coach

Postby Sanflfirst » Tue Mar 04, 2014 8:07 pm

Booney wrote:

I don't want to start another debate but I Just can't understand why there are so many misleading statements on this subject. The agreement, signed by the Port Adelaide Football Club with the SANFL, states clearly that any Port Adelaide AFL listed played not picked to play in their AFL team will play in the SANFL League team. Players like Summerton, Rasawaika, Young, Krakouer et el are top up players. They will only play if the Power listed players can't make a full team in the SANFL League. At no time are any of the Port Power AFL listed players allowed to play in the Port Magpies academy team I.e. the Port Magpies whose team is in the SANFL reserves. Can anyone produce a statement from the SANFL that overrides the detailed agreement that was posted on the 10th Sept 2013? Seriously, Why do you think so many posters on this forum hate the concept. Players who don't deserve a SANFL League start get one regardless of their performances.
Sanflfirst
Mini-League

Been liked: 0 time
Grassroots Team: Andamooka

Postby Booney » Wed Mar 05, 2014 8:24 am

Sanflfirst wrote:
Booney wrote:

I don't want to start another debate but I Just can't understand why there are so many misleading statements on this subject. The agreement, signed by the Port Adelaide Football Club with the SANFL, states clearly that any Port Adelaide AFL listed played not picked to play in their AFL team will play in the SANFL League team. Players like Summerton, Rasawaika, Young, Krakouer et el are top up players. They will only play if the Power listed players can't make a full team in the SANFL League. At no time are any of the Port Power AFL listed players allowed to play in the Port Magpies academy team I.e. the Port Magpies whose team is in the SANFL reserves. Can anyone produce a statement from the SANFL that overrides the detailed agreement that was posted on the 10th Sept 2013? Seriously, Why do you think so many posters on this forum hate the concept. Players who don't deserve a SANFL League start get one regardless of their performances.

I guess if you can supply a copy of the actual agreement that was signed by all parties and shows this to be the case, end of debate.
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

Postby Booney » Wed Mar 05, 2014 8:25 am

dedja wrote:Very true ... If you're referring to the AFL comp.

Let the season start, see what happens then cry out loud if you like.
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

Postby sib » Wed Mar 05, 2014 11:28 am

http://www.portadelaidefc.com.au/news/2 ... fl-captain

Steve Summerton is captain. Raikwasa and Salttery Vice Captains. They will not be dropped to allow Power rookies to play league
sib
Rookie

Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 23 times

Postby daysofourlives » Wed Mar 05, 2014 11:48 am

sib wrote:http://www.portadelaidefc.com.au/news/2014-02-26/sanfl-captain

Steve Summerton is captain. Raikwasa and Salttery Vice Captains. They will not be dropped to allow Power rookies to play league

The areticle doesnt mention they will not be dropped
Supercoach Spring Racing Champion 2019
Spargo's Good Friday Cup Champion 2020
daysofourlives
Coach

Has liked: 2423 times
Been liked: 1660 times
Grassroots Team: Angaston

Postby HeartBeatsTrue » Wed Mar 05, 2014 12:47 pm

Playing a top up player ahead of an AFL listed player would defeat the purpose of having a reserves team would it not?
HeartBeatsTrue
League Bench Warmer

Been liked: 5 times
Grassroots Team: Pooraka

Postby topsywaldron » Wed Mar 05, 2014 12:53 pm

HeartBeatsTrue wrote:Playing a top up player ahead of an AFL listed player would defeat the purpose of having a reserves team would it not?

Don't be silly. The Power wanted a reserves team so the Magpies could win a premiership. :roll:
'People are not stupid. They know when they are being conned. And two reserves teams operating in a League competition will reduce it to a farce, a competition without a soul.'

Dion Hayman 24th July 2013
topsywaldron
Veteran

Has liked: 21 times
Been liked: 218 times

Postby Booney » Wed Mar 05, 2014 1:04 pm

HeartBeatsTrue wrote:Playing a top up player ahead of an AFL listed player would defeat the purpose of having a reserves team would it not?

Not so. If the AFL listed player doesn't deserve an SANFL league spot, he shouldn't get it.First year draftees don't always cut the mustard at SANFL league level. Adelaide will have to do that though, gift players an SANFL league spot. Good set up they've got.

As of the purpose, it has been stated numerous times it was a preference to have all players playing at one club under one system.
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

Postby tipper » Wed Mar 05, 2014 1:06 pm

sib wrote:http://www.portadelaidefc.com.au/news/2014-02-26/sanfl-captain

i would have thought it would be the perfect opportunity to give some power rookies the taste of leadership and see how they handle it, drop the "b grade" captain and let a rookie take the reigns for the day.... ;)
tipper
League - Top 5

Has liked: 359 times
Been liked: 531 times
Grassroots Team: Peake

Postby JK » Wed Mar 05, 2014 1:27 pm

Booney wrote:

Not so. If the AFL listed player doesn't deserve an SANFL league spot, he shouldn't get it.First year draftees don't always cut the mustard at SANFL league level. Adelaide will have to do that though, gift players an SANFL league spot. Good set up they've got.

Weren't SANFL clubs prior to 2014 forced to play Power players in the league team, even if their form hadn't warranted it? (serious question btw)
FUSC
JK
Coach

Postby Booney » Wed Mar 05, 2014 2:27 pm

JK wrote:
Booney wrote:

Weren't SANFL clubs prior to 2014 forced to play Power players in the league team, even if their form hadn't warranted it? (serious question btw)

I dont think forced is the word, requested maybe. If that wasn't done (don't ask me my views on this) the player was moved to the Magpies.
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

Postby SANFLnut » Wed Mar 05, 2014 2:57 pm

beenreal wrote:It comes down to commitment to the cause. The PAFC will lose credibility with their community involvement if it becomes obvious they are not committed to SANFL success. EVERY word that has come out of Port Adelaide has stood firm on that commitment. Energy Australia upped their financial package on the basis of that commitment.

Port Adelaide has never shied away from dropping AFL listed players to the SANFL Reserves when form warranted, as demonstrated by Ben Newton for 3 Seconds games last year.

How did Newton become a Magpies player?
SANFLnut
Reserves

Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 65 times
Grassroots Team: Happy Valley

Postby beenreal » Wed Mar 05, 2014 4:58 pm

SANFLnut wrote:

How did Newton become a Magpies player?

The PAFC wasn't happy with the way the loan club was managing him so moved him to the Magpies, same goes for Young. Not surprisingly, Newton finished with strong League form and Young went on the play AFL.
PORT ADELAIDE FOOTBALL CLUB
Serving the community since 1870
Developing footballers for 143 years
Proud of the Past, Confident of the Future
beenreal
League Bench Warmer

Has liked: 24 times
Been liked: 11 times
Grassroots Team: Seaton Ramblers

PreviousNext

Board index   Football  SANFL