Carlton 2014

Talk on the national game

Re: Carlton 2014

Postby Johno6 » Tue Jun 03, 2014 5:35 pm

I am not sure who looks more silly here
Bootsma, or Hefty and Booney for thinking HH3 believes that's his real facebook..................

(Side note - if he does genuinely believe that, then I think I would be the one looking the most silly)
R.I.P Mum 28/02/12

Asterix Users - Squibs
Johno6
Coach

Has liked: 344 times
Been liked: 604 times
Grassroots Team: Golden Grove

Postby HH3 » Tue Jun 03, 2014 5:54 pm

Johno6 wrote:I am not sure who looks more silly here
Bootsma, or Hefty and Booney for thinking HH3 believes that's his real facebook..................

(Side note - if he does genuinely believe that, then I think I would be the one looking the most silly)

I like how Im the only one who knows who is actually silly....could it be HH3? Or is it Booney & Hefty? Or is it Johno6?

I'll never tell....
I TOLD YOU SO

2013/14 NFL Tipping Comp Champion
HH3
Coach

Has liked: 3301 times
Been liked: 2432 times
Grassroots Team: North Haven

Postby RustyCage » Tue Jun 03, 2014 9:09 pm

I'm gonna break my rusty cage and run
RustyCage

Has liked: 1260 times
Been liked: 933 times

Postby Booney » Wed Jun 04, 2014 3:53 pm

Johno6 wrote:I am not sure who looks more silly here

Yes, yes you would.

@HH3 ?
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

Has liked: 7467 times
Been liked: 10755 times

Postby Johno6 » Wed Jun 04, 2014 5:17 pm

hes not going to let us know, so we can all lose sleep wondering about it.....
R.I.P Mum 28/02/12

Asterix Users - Squibs
Johno6
Coach

Has liked: 344 times
Been liked: 604 times
Grassroots Team: Golden Grove

Postby gadj1976 » Tue Jun 24, 2014 9:46 pm

Dear Mick (Malthouse)

I'd just like to thank you for our obvious improvement you spoke of last week. I mean, without the improvement, we wouldn't have got within 4 goals of GWS. I mean, GWS are a powerhouse. I went and looked at the ladder and started at the top "no, no GWS here... second, no, not there either". All the way down to about 14th... then I found them. Wow. Gee, thankfully we've improved.

Earlier this year you said we'd be pushing top 4. I believed you. You said we'd be opening up our premiership window. I believed you. You said that we're improving and playing our best footy. Now I'm wondering if you were taking the pi$$. I assume that the premiership window you speak of was whilst playing XBox because the team you're in charge of is rubbish (just in case you hadn't actually seen them play). Given some of your comments, I don't think you have.

You mighn't realise, only being in the game for 78 years (and 1.5 of them at our great club) but when Carlton people proudly say "Carlton are history makers" they don't mean the "first team GWS string two wins against", not "the first team GWS kick 10 goals in a half against". I've watched and played plenty of footy but the last team to not being able to hit a target, tackle or kick, mark or show any intensity was named Fitzroy and I still would've put my hard earnt on them on the weekend up against us.

But I fear not.... when we finish bottom or close to, we'll get another no 1 or 2 draft pick which we'll ruin for the rest of their career by not developing them properly. For that, I have great faith.

Over the break, you mentioned that some other pick 1's were off limits, yet every single Carlton supporter who has functioning eyes and brain knows we don't have key position players. Yet, Tom Boyd went to GWS. And, AND Waite is over 30. I spose a key position player will fall out of a tree down Lygon St and all will be well again.

The good part is the muppets there at Carlton, the new prez, Mark LoGiudice says he's going to extend your contract. Excellent. Just on that, I've asked my family to instantaneously cryogenically freeze myself and wait for the change in guard. If it ever comes.

Could I ask you do one thing for me, when you do finally leave our great club, pull the plug and start to thaw me out?
gadj1976
Coach

Has liked: 795 times
Been liked: 849 times

Postby Jase » Tue Jun 24, 2014 10:43 pm

That could well be one of the best things I have ever read on this site... :)

Sent from my XT925 using Tapatalk
Jase
League - Best 21

Has liked: 1476 times
Been liked: 550 times

Postby Booney » Wed Jun 25, 2014 9:26 am

Brock McLean - "Yeah, nah, we seem to be able to get ourselves up for the games against the top teams, but struggle against the err, I guess, lowly ranked teams"

Pssst, Brock, you are a lowly ranked team.... ;)
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

Postby woodublieve12 » Wed Jun 25, 2014 9:30 am

not all bad gadj... GWS are a quality side...
"Fellas, it’s OK to be in pain. It’s OK to hurt. It’s OK to be sad. It’s no longer OK to suffer in silence."
woodublieve12
Coach

Has liked: 3016 times
Been liked: 2384 times

Postby Booney » Wed Jun 25, 2014 9:50 am

woodublieve12 wrote:not all bad gadj... GWS are a quality side...

:lol:
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

Postby Jim05 » Wed Jun 25, 2014 12:05 pm

Booney wrote:Brock McLean - "Yeah, nah, we seem to be able to get ourselves up for the games against the top teams, but struggle against the err, I guess, lowly ranked teams"

Lol
Bryce Gibbs also provided some comedy yesterday when he said he re-signed for 5 years because he genuinely believes they can win a flag in that period
Jim05
Coach

Has liked: 1125 times
Been liked: 3534 times
Grassroots Team: South Gawler

Postby Rik E Boy » Wed Jun 25, 2014 1:03 pm

woodublieve12 wrote:not all bad gadj... GWS are a quality side...

They'll beat Geelong at home. We have to catch a plane.

regards,

REB
Rik E Boy
Coach

Has liked: 1697 times
Been liked: 1813 times

Postby GWW » Wed Jun 25, 2014 1:29 pm

How much of the issue us Mick, and how much is recruiting, a lot of which happened before Malthouse's reign?

I think the really early picks - Gibbs/Judd (via trade), Murphy/ Walker/ Kreuzer - got you up the ladder quicker than would be expected after the sanctions (which incidentally seriously affected the depth of your list, despite top end being very good).

Then with dome decent placings (finals), the really early picks were then not available.

Not to mention the loss of 2 high quality forwards Kennedy and Fevola (although Hendetdon and Judd in return obviously have provided value).

As far as what Id do in Carlton's position - cut, cut, cut; completely bottom ou, and offer up real quality in a trade (maybe even Murphy given that Gibbs gas signed..perhaps Kreuzer if hes worth anything..and Yarran). Plus a review of recruiting department.
GWW

Has liked: 816 times
Been liked: 166 times

Postby gadj1976 » Wed Jun 25, 2014 1:30 pm

Jim05 wrote:
Booney wrote:Brock McLean - "Yeah, nah, we seem to be able to get ourselves up for the games against the top teams, but struggle against the err, I guess, lowly ranked teams"

Lol
Bryce Gibbs also provided some comedy yesterday when he said he re-signed for 5 years because he genuinely believes they can win a flag in that period

who, GWS?
gadj1976
Coach

Postby gadj1976 » Wed Jun 25, 2014 1:32 pm

GWW wrote:How much of the issue us Mick, and how much is recruiting, a lot of which happened before Malthouse's reign?

I think the really early picks - Gibbs/Judd (via trade), Murphy/ Walker/ Kreuzer - got you up the ladder quicker than would be expected after the sanctions (which incidentally seriously affected the depth of your list, despite top end being very good).

Then with dome decent placings (finals), the really early picks were then not available.

Not to mention the loss of 2 high quality forwards Kennedy and Fevola (although Hendetdon and Judd in return obviously have provided value).

As far as what Id do in Carlton's position - cut, cut, cut; completely bottom ou, and offer up real quality in a trade (maybe even Murphy given that Gibbs gas signed..perhaps Kreuzer if hes worth anything..and Yarran). Plus a review of recruiting department.

Umm, we are in the midst of bottoming out. And we had the chance to offer up quality picks, Gibbs, Kruezer for instance were off the table. And we missed out in a big forward, Boyd. Judd's 30 odd, Waite's 30 odd, one of our stalwarts in Scotland is gone. We can't get much lower than where we are. Garlett is out of favour - mind you, I keep saying it, playing small forward in a losing side is almost the most difficult position to play. Lucas is on the outer - as was Duigan and Laidler. And they're both not there now.
gadj1976
Coach

Postby GWW » Wed Jun 25, 2014 1:39 pm

Yeah, fair enough - theres obviously a hell of a lot of pain coming up for the Blues, which I can only see being fixed long term by draft picks from multiple spoons.

That aint going to assist your membership/finances though, so obviously its a fine balancing act in the modern world of the AFL.
GWW

Has liked: 816 times
Been liked: 166 times

Postby gadj1976 » Wed Jun 25, 2014 1:54 pm

GWW wrote:Yeah, fair enough - theres obviously a hell of a lot of pain coming up for the Blues, which I can only see being fixed long term by draft picks from multiple spoons.

That aint going to assist your membership/finances though, so obviously its a fine balancing act in the modern world of the AFL.

I think if we were getting a clear message from the club - we'd all be ok with it. But we're not. Top 4, playing our best footy - these are quotes from the coach!

Picking up Thomas in replacement of Betts was suicidal. It's going to chock our salary cap up for 4 years for little benefit going forward. I would've prefered pick 11 or 12 to be put into youth.

The mixed messages are the issue....
gadj1976
Coach

Postby gadj1976 » Wed Jul 09, 2014 8:54 pm

Dear Mick (Malthouse) Pt 2

Mick, you might remember my open letter last week in which I mentioned I was off to the Cryo clinic to get snap frozen in hope that when I return we won't be as sh1t as we are now.

Turns out, my Cryo doctor, Dr Freeze is a GWS supporter and wants me to suffer some more, so he's put the appointment off till the end of the footy season. Cold hearted prick.

So I sat through the game last night.

Oh, by the way, last week, when we're only a few points down vs GWS, Menzel kicked a goal and ran straight to the boundary. Um, why? Did the poor petal need a rest with 44 seconds to go and just a handful of points down? That extra rest did wonders last night - he rested most of the night!

Now, back to last night's game. I am going to ask for something radical and have an extra night's training - just this week though. That will make 3 night's training this week, Tuesday, Wednesday AND Thursday. And what I suggest you do is concentrate on showing blokes how to kick for goal. You might want to dedicate one of your 26 assistant coaches to Levi Casboult and Lachie Henderson specifically. You do realise that goals are reasonably important when we're continually losing by a few points? I went through a routine in 5 minutes in Div 5 and fixed a bloke's kicking. It's not rocket surgery. And good to see that despite having goal scoring options, we had Waite and Garlett in the magoos going naff all. Their confidence must be sky rocketing.... along with Lucas, Arnfield, Duigan (ret), Laidler (Syd) and a plethora of blokes seeking an 'out' from Lygon St.

You might also want to tell Warnock (yeh, the big tall dufus in the middle) that there is more to footy than being 8 ft 3 and getting a few taps. Did you hear the faithful (all 11 of them) give the big tall streak of blue a bronx cheer when he took a mark (by the way I've framed the photo, as it will be Warnock's only mark of the year)? IT'S COS HE'S NO GOOD! He takes no marks, he doesn't go forward and kick goals and he got beaten by ANOTHER spud in Witts.

Outside of the game, it's been interesting reading the press this week. You don't like footy. That's heartening to hear.

Yarran and Gibbs both say that we've got the cattle to win a premiership. So why are we losing to spud teams... the coaching perhaps? Might be cos you don't like the game any more. Robbo suggest you might go. I don't think so, I think we're just warming up now. I mean, our game this week is against the Saints. We can make it the perfect storm this week. Saint Kilda are the only side in the bottom 6 we haven't lost to. Come on, I know we can do it! I've got a PO Box ready for the delivery of wooden spoons from my mates.

On a more personal note, you must be happy. If it weren't for Brad Scott, you'd be the most reviled coach in AFL.

No doubt you'll be hearing from me next week!

Dear Mick pt 3

So at least we have one thing going for us now – clear communication lines. You’ve obviously taken my comments on board and taught our forwards where to lead and how to kick for goals. That’s very good progress. Mind you, we were playing the Saints, which is the equivalent of playing the Port Pirie Sandbaggers’ III’s really isn’t it? You wouldn’t have to plan much against them would you? Maybe, run around the back of Riewoldt and let their midfield kick it over his head? Crikey, it'd be like playing in our forward line! So to only be 3 goals up at half time shows how much credence we paid to them. And winning by 85 points was good to see. Imagine how much we would’ve won by if we could kick and handball to each other consistently. I see that our recruits, Everitt and Docherty were good. How much longer before we bring them down to our level? But on a good note, we haven’t kicked that straight since the glory days of “PM” (pre Malthouse).

You’ve had another good week off the field too I see.

I noted in the press, you were ghost writing for Jon Pierik in the Age. In an article about Carlton he wrote in part “In Carlton's favour, Malthouse knows how to rebuild teams, and the drafting last year of midfielder Patrick Cripps (returning soon from a broken leg) and trades for Sam Docherty, Andrejs Everitt and Thomas have been a success, although Thomas' price tag was questionable.” I think you/he underestimates what a ‘success’ is. In my mind a bloke getting paid a motza who is struggling to kick over a jamtin with anything that resembles the technique of a drop punt shouldn’t be classed as a success! Even in his sh1t games over the past four years for Collingwood, he’s averaging more possessions than he is now. You’d think someone in their right mind, before recruiting anyone wouldn’t just roll his ankle around and say “does this hurt?” they’d get him out on the track 20m out from goal and see how many he could shank off his shin BEFORE recruiting him at 700k per season. I mean a pass mark for 700k per year would be what, 8 out of 10 shanks? Clearly he’s passing that mark in games. And then Jon/you say “although Thomas’ price tag is questionable”. Questionable? Jon/Mick, come on. You can’t possibly put a price on quality like that.

Now I take you back to last year when you said in your post season summary – which all us Carlton fans clung to after a reasonable 2013, that in the draft… “we need players who can attract the ball”. Rigghhhtt, so when does this take place this player recruitment you speak of?

Anyway, good to see Visy Park being essentially utilised for what it is; a recycling centre.

With that in mind, and your penchant for broken Collingwood players, I hear on the grapevine that Nathan Brown is out for the season. Given that knowledge, he must be on your radar. You should be able to get him for a steal – maybe 5, 600k! He has a shoulder injury and won’t be able to mark or punch a ball above shoulder level, so he’ll pass the fitness tests with flying colours.

On a personal note, I thought the judges for Mark of the Year were a bit harsh. I saw no nomination for Robbie Warnock who I saw with my own very eyes take mark of the year. Well it was uncontested and he was standing flat footed 20m out from goal all by himself, but for Warnock, that’s brilliant! And unbelievably he snuck it through from a tough angle straight out in front of goals. Just to make you aware, because I know you don’t bother about statistics, he’s taken 14 marks in 15 games. Not bad for a guy 6ft 10in tall. One dimensional much?

You’ll be happy to know Brad Johnson is blind to our problems as you seem to be. On Fox Footy on Sunday, he said that in the draft, Carlton “need to go after the best player whether that be a midfielder or not”. (sigh) No you little smiling Footscray feral imbecile we don’t need another midfielder! Get us talls and plenty of them. God help me Mick, if you recruit one bloke under 6ft 4 in the next draft, the fury of a headband-less Bruce Doull will come down upon thee like nothing ever seen before in Carlton football history!

Anyway, lets get on to more pressing matters, our focus should turn Sydney this week I suppose. So what’s the plans? Burn the footy/turn it over at half back, or do that in the centre line this week? Perhaps run forward of the footy and not get back? Maybe leave Parker/J Kennedy to run amok? Isolate Buddy one out on Ellard/Curnow or McLean? I’ll be fascinated to see what happens this week. My report (as usual) will be in the mail early next week.
gadj1976
Coach

Postby Rik E Boy » Fri Jul 11, 2014 12:54 pm

Give Mick a break. He's done well. It's taken him two years but he's finally moulded a side that can match it with St Kilda.

regards,

REB
Rik E Boy
Coach

Has liked: 1697 times
Been liked: 1813 times

Postby amber_fluid » Fri Jul 11, 2014 3:21 pm

I couldn't stand Mick when he coached the Eagle's or Collingwood.............he was and still is an arrogant prick!!
I never wanted the Board to appoint him originally and would love the club to get rid of him still............. But it's not his fault for where the club is currently.
There are no stupid questions, just stupid people.
amber_fluid
Coach

Has liked: 2217 times
Been liked: 2508 times

PreviousNext

Board index   Football  AFL