West Coast Eagles 2014

Talk on the national game

Re: West Coast Eagles 2014

Postby Booney » Tue Jun 17, 2014 1:45 pm

woodublieve12 wrote:
Booney wrote:I for one didn't think he'd be the type of bloke to crack like that. On reflection I guess he saw right through the fact he was playing on for the wrong reasons.

put sometime over the weekend to put this one together? ;) ;)

No, been up in the Flinders with mates over the weekend, only just viewed this thread.
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

Has liked: 7467 times
Been liked: 10755 times

Postby MatteeG » Tue Jun 17, 2014 2:59 pm

Booney wrote:
woodublieve12 wrote:
Booney wrote:I for one didn't think he'd be the type of bloke to crack like that. On reflection I guess he saw right through the fact he was playing on for the wrong reasons.

put sometime over the weekend to put this one together? ;) ;)

No, been up in the Flinders with mates over the weekend, only just viewed this thread.

I reakon Booney poured over it before posting...
helicopterking wrote:Flaggies will choke. Always have.
MatteeG
Assistant Coach

Has liked: 524 times
Been liked: 511 times
Grassroots Team: Flagstaff Hill

Postby Spargo » Tue Jun 17, 2014 3:32 pm

We knew he was bullshitting us all when he said he was with some mates.... ;)
2017 safooty NFL tipping champ

Don’t lose your grip on the dreams of the past
You must fight just to keep them alive...
Spargo
Coach

Has liked: 5457 times
Been liked: 5089 times
Grassroots Team: Sacred Heart OC

Postby westozfalcon » Mon Jul 07, 2014 4:10 pm

After the Sydney game Adam Simpson commented “We’ve turned up to play and thrown the kitchen sink at sides and just haven’t been good enough”

That could be the problem. As the saying goes, it’s supposed to be everything bar the kitchen sink.
:)
westozfalcon
League Bench Warmer

Has liked: 113 times
Been liked: 28 times

Postby bennymacca » Tue Jul 08, 2014 2:59 pm

So west coast fans, what has happened to your team this season? We all expected some big strides forward bit doesn't seem to have happened. Haven't seen too much of them this year because I don't have fox, so interested in your thoughts.

What had happened with big Kennedy and nic nat? Both seem to be well down.
bennymacca
Coach

Has liked: 2253 times
Been liked: 1803 times
Grassroots Team: Freeling

Postby helicopterking » Mon Jul 14, 2014 1:20 pm

I watch every West Coast game.
It's been clear to me that Adam Simpson has based a game plan similar to Hawthorn. Move it quickly with short passes,create space and spread.
What he has found is that it is very difficult to get them to play that way when Worsfold game planned did not rely on actually passing the footy, it was more create space over the top and kick it high over the back and run on to it. Simpson has also found out that we don't have the skill level by foot to play such a game plan. Our forward entries are laughable at times, it would be a nightmare playing up forward.
- shallow Midfield, no depth at all. Priddis is good, but can't kick. Shuey is inconsistent but our most dangerous mid and Selwood is injured, Masten has been disappointing, and Wellingham experiment has failed.

- No elite kicks in our midfield and lacks polish and speed.
- No small crumbing forwards. Lecras is a small marking/lead up forward. The ball comes out way to easy as we are a little tall up forward.

Nic Nat hasn't done a Pre Season for 2 years now due to injury and has only began training on a regular basis for the last 8-10 weeks. That's a fair bit of footy to miss in a pretty important phase of his career. Hopefully gets through the year injury free and next year, gets a full pre Season and we can play through the middle a lot more like he did 3 years back. But he has been disappointing, doesn't mark the footy anywhere near as much as he should.

Kennedy has had some terrible kicks to him this year. As stated above, the forward line and midfield are on completely different pages at the moment. The same goes for Jack Darling.

5 times this season we have had more scoring shots then the opposition and lost. So we put ourselves in the match but just lack that bit of polish when it comes to the crunch.

On a positive I think our backline has been excellent all season under some heavy pressure with MacKenzie, Brown, Hurn, Bennell, Yeo, Ellis and Scholfield standing up after Glass retired.
McGovern as been a revelation up forward, looks like he will be a serious player, either forward or back.

I'd say Cox won't go on after this year. Our a Ruck stocks are good and Lycett will improve with more game time and I think Cox will be happy to step aside for him.
It is a must that we go after young Midfielders in the draft. Our key position stocks are filled, so Mids and a crumbing forward are the key.
If a player isn't going to be in the next Premiership side (4-8 years) then they must be moved on.
Retire- Cox,Butler, Glass, Waters (injury pending)
Trade- Masten, Sheppard, Wellingham,
Delist- Josh Hill, Jamie Cripps, Ash Smith

I must say I have not seen a lot of Barrass,McInnes, Karpany, Main.
helicopterking
Coach

Has liked: 298 times
Been liked: 666 times

Postby helicopterking » Mon Jul 21, 2014 4:22 pm

Sad day for West Coast. Dean Cox pulling the pin on a incredible career. Selfless act to step aside, (could had easily got 1 more year) to make way for the younger rucks to come through. Great Player, Great Club man and has set the standard for all Ruckman throughout the AFL.
Will be greatly missed.
helicopterking
Coach

Postby stan » Tue Jul 22, 2014 1:54 pm

Helicop, I wouldnt say we would be looking at trading Masten or Wellingham. Wellingham has only just come to the club and is struggling at the moment, but give him some time, we are struggling with inside ball winners at the moment so he is finding it hard to get into the games. With Masten we wont get enough for him. so I would say we would keep him

Probably wouldnt delist Hill, he goes ok and is an assest.

I like our forward opitons. Kennedy, Darling, McGovern and LeCras has enough fire power to cause some grief. Our problem is we dont get enough of the ball!
Shuey is ok, Gaff is an outside player. Priddiss is tagged each week and it starts to get thin after that. Masten is ok only and Wellingham is another outside type. We should look at trying to get a player like Coniglio, finds the ball and uses it well and also use our first round pick for the best mid available to add to Sheed and the list above.
Read my reply. It is directed at you because you have double standards
stan
Coach

Has liked: 88 times
Been liked: 1253 times
Grassroots Team: Goodwood Saints

Postby helicopterking » Tue Jul 22, 2014 5:02 pm

stan wrote:Helicop, I wouldnt say we would be looking at trading Masten or Wellingham. Wellingham has only just come to the club and is struggling at the moment, but give him some time, we are struggling with inside ball winners at the moment so he is finding it hard to get into the games. With Masten we wont get enough for him. so I would say we would keep him

Probably wouldnt delist Hill, he goes ok and is an assest.

I like our forward opitons. Kennedy, Darling, McGovern and LeCras has enough fire power to cause some grief. Our problem is we dont get enough of the ball!
Shuey is ok, Gaff is an outside player. Priddiss is tagged each week and it starts to get thin after that. Masten is ok only and Wellingham is another outside type. We should look at trying to get a player like Coniglio, finds the ball and uses it well and also use our first round pick for the best mid available to add to Sheed and the list above.

I agree, neither Wellingham or Masten have any real value so they stay. Both look lightning fast running forward, Scott Cummings would beat them running back into defence.
I disagree with Hill, he isn't a small crumbing forward and provides little to no tackling pressure and at times looks totally un-interested. He's had his time at WC. I thought that's why we recruited Bennell to play the small forward, but he's been pretty good down back this year. Cripps is hopeless, and maybe my 2nd most frustrating player at WC ever.
I would like to see Karpany get a game by seasons end, showing good signs after a sluggish start and was pick 31,our 2nd pick in last years draft.
In the other forum I stated Coniglio should be our main target in the trade period.
Have Priddis and Selwood as our in and under players, Shuey,Masten,Wellingham, Yeo,Sheed, Rosa and add Coniglio to that would be a huge get.
Shannon Hurn needs to get a bigger tank and play through the midfield.
Gaff needs to put on some serious size, can't break tackles and struggles to lay them. Been in the system for a while now, no reason he isn't 5kg heavier.
I don't like playing Lecras in the midfield, he is nowhere near as dangerous and we suffer when he isn't around goals.
helicopterking
Coach

Postby Johno6 » Tue Jul 22, 2014 11:48 pm

I don't get why west coast rate cripps.

Him and Shepard two guys I don't understand how they get games.
R.I.P Mum 28/02/12

Asterix Users - Squibs
Johno6
Coach

Has liked: 344 times
Been liked: 604 times
Grassroots Team: Golden Grove

Postby helicopterking » Tue Jul 22, 2014 11:53 pm

Johno6 wrote:I don't get why west coast rate cripps.

Correct. Been on the list for 5 years and is still way too small. What a waste of a first round draft pick.(Pick 7)
helicopterking
Coach

Postby stan » Wed Jul 23, 2014 9:47 am

helicopterking wrote:
Johno6 wrote:I don't get why west coast rate cripps.

Correct. Been on the list for 5 years and is still way too small. What a waste of a first round draft pick.(Pick 7)

Yep. On my list of trade or delist.
stan
Coach

Postby LaughingKookaburra » Wed Jul 23, 2014 6:05 pm

Living here in Perth both Carl Langdon and Brad Hardie are 2 of the best non parochial sports presenters I have heard;

*Wellingham is not the right fit and doesn't apply himself as he should off the field. Could seriously be shown the door.
*Masten can't hit the side of a barn by foot. Will be trade bait.
*Nic Nat could end up being CHF full time after this year. I can't beleive his latest contract btw.
*Will be big players in coming years on the free agency market.
Can you bring a man to his feet when defeat is on repeat?
LaughingKookaburra
Coach

Has liked: 72 times
Been liked: 738 times
Grassroots Team: Kenilworth

Postby bennymacca » Wed Jul 23, 2014 6:08 pm

LaughingKookaburra wrote:Living here in Perth both Carl Langdon and Brad Hardie are 2 of the best non parochial sports presenters I have heard;

*Wellingham is not the right fit and doesn't apply himself as he should off the field. Could seriously be shown the door.
*Nic Nat could end up being CHF full time after this year. I can't beleive his latest contract btw.

he cant mark the ball though. will be a great tap ruckman when given full time role next year (if fit)
bennymacca
Coach

Postby BoundaryRider84 » Wed Jul 23, 2014 6:21 pm

bennymacca wrote:
LaughingKookaburra wrote:Living here in Perth both Carl Langdon and Brad Hardie are 2 of the best non parochial sports presenters I have heard;

he cant mark the ball though. will be a great tap ruckman when given full time role next year (if fit)

Kennedy and Darling do not need big Nic Nat up their getting in their way. He will ruck, reckon they would prefer to use Lycett up forward at least he can mark.
WE ARE GEELONG!
BoundaryRider84
League - Best 21

Has liked: 90 times
Been liked: 223 times

Postby LaughingKookaburra » Wed Jul 23, 2014 8:49 pm

Bit hard if he's playing in Adelaide ;)
Can you bring a man to his feet when defeat is on repeat?
LaughingKookaburra
Coach

Has liked: 72 times
Been liked: 738 times
Grassroots Team: Kenilworth

Postby stan » Thu Jul 24, 2014 8:04 am

LaughingKookaburra wrote:Bit hard if he's playing in Adelaide ;)

What have you got offer? I reckon his stocks have gone up again.
stan
Coach

Postby helicopterking » Thu Jul 24, 2014 9:30 am

stan wrote:

B.Crouch?
helicopterking
Coach

Postby Sorry Dude » Thu Jul 24, 2014 9:47 am

stan wrote:

Straight swap for S.McKernan and/ or A. Graham....You guys will win in that trade, but I am willing to take the hit ;)
Sorry Dude
League - Top 5

Has liked: 156 times
Been liked: 73 times

Postby bennymacca » Thu Jul 24, 2014 10:25 am

helicopterking wrote:
stan wrote:

B.Crouch?

there wouldnt be too many that we would give up crouch for. and i doubt anyone on the whole west coast side fits that bill
bennymacca
Coach

PreviousNext

Board index   Football  AFL