Best suburb to live in

Anything!

Best suburb to live in

Postby The Cadet » Wed Mar 12, 2014 10:33 pm

Hi guys, wife has landed a job in the suburb of Marion. We are currently living in country Victoria. Just looking for some advice on some of the better areas to live. We have 2 kids 8 an 5, will be looking to rent at first. Would want it to be no more than 25 mins from wifes work. And maybe some advice on some of the better schools in the area. Cheers.
The Cadet
Under 16s

Has liked: 2 times
Been liked: 2 times

Re: Best suburb to live in

Postby Failed Creation » Wed Mar 12, 2014 10:50 pm

First of all, welcome to Adelaide!

There's plenty of good, affordable places in that area, like Brighton, Bedford Park, Blackwood, Belair, Seacliff, Marino, Oaklands Park, Hove, Sturt and Darlington. There's also plenty of good public and private schools around, depending on what you choose for your kids.

Having said that, I'm a northern suburbs guy, so I'm not the best dispenser of advice on the subject.

Hopefully that helps mate.
Politicians kissing babies for good luck,
TV preachers sell salvation for a buck.
You don't need no golden cross to tell you wrong from right,
The world's worst murderers were those who saw the light.
Failed Creation
Coach

Has liked: 3307 times
Been liked: 613 times
Grassroots Team: Gawler Central

Postby Hefty » Thu Mar 13, 2014 9:34 am

Stay away from Mitchell Park.......sh!t hole!
Hefty
League Bench Warmer

Has liked: 133 times
Been liked: 110 times
Grassroots Team: Golden Grove

Postby Psyber » Thu Mar 13, 2014 10:20 am

One thing to watch for - the air in Adelaide.

My wife was asthmatic and I am someone prone to milder respiratory allergies.
We were both OK in eastern Melbourne, but neither of us did well anywhere in Adelaide and ultimately sold up and moved to the hills before later going to Melbourne for family reasons.

It was at its worst when we lived in Prospect and later nearly as bad when we tried Delfin Island (West Lakes) on the theory the sea breezes would help.

When I returned to Adelaide in 2009 I considered eastern options like Stonyfell, but after a week staying with friends there, while house-hunting, I decided to buy in the hills again. (It was better there but not better enough.)
The Blackwood area doesn't seem too bad...

I suspect the difference is that Melbourne is a bit more open and windy and the air pollution blows away more whereas Adelaide sits in a bowl.
Even in Melbourne we both had problems when visiting friends who lived in Port Cook.
EPIGENETICS - Lamarck was right!
Psyber
Coach

Has liked: 103 times
Been liked: 390 times
Grassroots Team: Hahndorf

Postby Q. » Thu Mar 13, 2014 10:21 am

Norwood... Just ask Big Phil.
Q.
Coach

Has liked: 970 times
Been liked: 2396 times
Grassroots Team: Houghton Districts

Postby shoe boy » Thu Mar 13, 2014 10:29 am

Psyber wrote:One thing to watch for - the air in Adelaide.

We were both OK in eastern Melbourne, but neither of us did well anywhere in Adelaide and ultimately sold up and moved to the hills before later going to Melbourne for family reasons.

It was at its worst when we lived in Prospect and later nearly as bad when we tried Delfin Island (West Lakes) on the theory the sea breezes would help.

When I returned to Adelaide in 2009 I considered eastern options like Stonyfell, but after a week staying with friends there, while house-hunting, I decided to buy in the hills again. (It was better there but not better enough.)

I suspect the difference is that Melbourne is a bit more open and windy and the air pollution blows away more whereas Adelaide sits in a bowl.
Even in Melbourne we both had problems when visiting friends who lived in Port Cook.

PLEASE!!!!!
shoe boy
Assistant Coach

Has liked: 488 times
Been liked: 209 times

Postby mighty_tiger_79 » Thu Mar 13, 2014 10:45 am

The Cadet wrote:Hi guys, wife has landed a job in the suburb of Marion. We are currently living in country Victoria. Just looking for some advice on some of the better areas to live. We have 2 kids 8 an 5, will be looking to rent at first. Would want it to be no more than 25 mins from wifes work. And maybe some advice on some of the better schools in the area. Cheers.

As a panthers fan you could choose further south closer to Noarlunga so no travel for home matches.
You will have the expressway to help make the journey to work quicker
Matty Wade is a star and deserves more respect from the forum family!
mighty_tiger_79
Coach

Has liked: 11839 times
Been liked: 3597 times

Postby Hefty » Thu Mar 13, 2014 12:19 pm

Sounds like Pysber needs an extra shot of Hemoglobin......"he's a Bubble Boy"
Hefty
League Bench Warmer

Has liked: 133 times
Been liked: 110 times
Grassroots Team: Golden Grove

Postby The Cadet » Thu Mar 13, 2014 12:30 pm

Thanks guys, will look into it more. More for the kids want them in a safer suburb than some, and in The Marion Area. I think Norwoodcould be abit pricey, i will have a look.
The Cadet
Under 16s

Postby mighty_tiger_79 » Thu Mar 13, 2014 12:42 pm

The Cadet wrote:Thanks guys, will look into it more. More for the kids want them in a safer suburb than some, and in The Marion Area. I think Norwoodcould be abit pricey, i will have a look.

perhaps could look at seaford, moana, aldinga

great beaches down there
Matty Wade is a star and deserves more respect from the forum family!
mighty_tiger_79
Coach

Has liked: 11839 times
Been liked: 3597 times

Postby helicopterking » Thu Mar 13, 2014 12:44 pm

Good Areas around are Marion,Sturt,Ascot Park, Parkholme, Darlington,Seacombe Gardens,Seacliff, Morphettville.
Little bit further away 5-15mins from Marion itself, Hallett Cove, Flagstaff Hill, Trott Park.
helicopterking
Coach

Has liked: 298 times
Been liked: 667 times

Postby The Cadet » Thu Mar 13, 2014 12:50 pm

Cheers guys
The Cadet
Under 16s

Postby Gozu » Thu Mar 13, 2014 2:06 pm

Brighton, Kingston Park area is nice.
"The factory of the future will have only two employees, a man and a dog. The man will be there to feed the dog. The dog will be there to keep the man from touching the equipment" – Warren Bennis
Gozu
Coach

Has liked: 0 time
Been liked: 660 times

Postby Psyber » Thu Mar 13, 2014 4:57 pm

Hefty wrote: Sounds like Pysber needs an extra shot of Hemoglobin......"he's a Bubble Boy"

I thought the experience I reported in some locations may matter if the asker had any kids with asthma proneness or other allergic tendencies.

Yes, I do have a somewhat over-reactive immune system, and I guess I'm lucky that is all I have, given my father's severe asthma and my mother's skin allergies that showed up in adulthood in both. I'm fine to spend a day in the CBD, but after about 3 consecutive days exposure it starts to have an effect.
On the other hand it does mean I'm highly resistant to potential infections, and hardly ever get them.

And, no, Haemoglobin is no help, but antihistamines or anti-inflammatory medications do help after exposure to allergens.
I try to minimise taking them though - I once got a severe allergic reaction to an antihistamine.
EPIGENETICS - Lamarck was right!
Psyber
Coach

Has liked: 103 times
Been liked: 390 times
Grassroots Team: Hahndorf

Postby The Sleeping Giant » Thu Mar 13, 2014 6:14 pm

Hefty wrote:

Sounds like Pysber needs an extra shot of Hemoglobin......"he's a Bubble Boy"

Psyber needs a spliff of Space Dawg.
Cannabis is safer than alcohol
The Sleeping Giant
Coach

Has liked: 69 times
Been liked: 193 times

Postby The Sleeping Giant » Thu Mar 13, 2014 6:15 pm

Psyber wrote:
Hefty wrote: Sounds like Pysber needs an extra shot of Hemoglobin......"he's a Bubble Boy"

I thought the experience I reported in some locations may matter if the asker had any kids with asthma proneness or other allergic tendencies.

Yes, I do have a somewhat over-reactive immune system, and I guess I'm lucky that is all I have, given my father's severe asthma and my mother's skin allergies that showed up in adulthood in both. I'm fine to spend a day in the CBD, but after about 3 consecutive days exposure it starts to have an effect.
On the other hand it does mean I'm highly resistant to potential infections, and hardly ever get them.

And, no, Haemoglobin is no help, but antihistamines or anti-inflammatory medications do help after exposure to allergens.
I try to minimise taking them though - I once got a severe allergic reaction to an antihistamine.

Maybe you can join that family that live on Kangaroo Island.

Here you go Psyber.

Asthma - http://www.leafly.com/news/medical/can-cannabis-help-asthma-patients-27df

Skin allergies - http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2007/06/070607171120.htm
Cannabis is safer than alcohol
The Sleeping Giant
Coach

Has liked: 69 times
Been liked: 193 times

Postby southee » Thu Mar 13, 2014 8:16 pm

mighty_tiger_79 wrote:
The Cadet wrote:Hi guys, wife has landed a job in the suburb of Marion. We are currently living in country Victoria. Just looking for some advice on some of the better areas to live. We have 2 kids 8 an 5, will be looking to rent at first. Would want it to be no more than 25 mins from wifes work. And maybe some advice on some of the better schools in the area. Cheers.

As a panthers fan you could choose further south closer to Noarlunga so no travel for home matches.
You will have the expressway to help make the journey to work quicker

I'm in Warradale ......as another Panthers fan I can pick you up on South game days for the drives to Noarlunga.

We are a rare breed so always nice to make friends with another South fan ;)

25 min to Marion .... Try Hove, Sturt, Warradale, North Brighton, Seacombe Gardens / Heights, Glengowrie .... closer to the beach you are going to be paying the $$$$$.... Stick to Eastern side of Brighton Road
Is out of change.....thanks Cambridge Clarrie!!!
southee
Assistant Coach

Has liked: 858 times
Been liked: 122 times

Postby nwdfanparade » Fri Mar 14, 2014 9:57 am

Best suburb for public transport is Notinservice.

See a lot of buses going there.
:roll:
nwdfanparade
Under 18s

Has liked: 12 times
Been liked: 148 times

Postby Dogwatcher » Fri Mar 14, 2014 10:23 am

southee wrote: I'm in Warradale ......as another Panthers fan I can pick you up on South game days for the drives to Noarlunga.

This sounds suspiciously like a cry for help.
You're my only friend, and you don't even like me.
Dogwatcher
Coach

Has liked: 1425 times
Been liked: 1152 times
Grassroots Team: Elizabeth

Postby Spargo » Fri Mar 14, 2014 11:12 am

Dogwatcher wrote:
southee wrote: I'm in Warradale ......as another Panthers fan I can pick you up on South game days for the drives to Noarlunga.

This sounds BLATANTLY like a cry for help.

Edited for accuracy.
2017 safooty NFL tipping champ
2024 champ, Spargo’s Good Friday Cup @ Ascot

I’ll wait for an angel, but I won’t hold my breath
‘Magine they’re busy, think I’m doin’ ok…
Spargo
Coach

Has liked: 5476 times
Been liked: 5117 times
Grassroots Team: Sacred Heart OC

Next

Board index   General Talk  General Discussion