Essendon

Talk on the national game

Re: Essendon

Postby Grahaml » Wed Jan 25, 2017 1:14 pm

And you'd be wrong to think that too. Depression isn't something you can look at with the rationale of a normal person and understand. People with depression aren't being selfish, they're being selfless. It's the thought people would genuinely be better off without you mixed with the belief that there's no way forward.

This is the problem with mental illness. So many people so keen to rationalise it who can't or won't bother to take the time to understand the whole picture.
Grahaml
Assistant Coach

Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 169 times

Postby Booney » Wed Jan 25, 2017 1:19 pm

Grahaml wrote:And you'd be wrong to think that too. Depression isn't something you can look at with the rationale of a normal person and understand. People with depression aren't being selfish, they're being selfless. It's the thought people would genuinely be better off without you mixed with the belief that there's no way forward.

This is the problem with mental illness. So many people so keen to rationalise it who can't or won't bother to take the time to understand the whole picture.

Telling someone fighting an illness that they're "being selfish" would, in many cases, give further reason to low self worth issues. Selfish it is not.
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

Has liked: 7494 times
Been liked: 10781 times

Postby whufc » Fri Jan 27, 2017 8:10 am

Trying telling that to the fatherless kids
RIP PH408 63notoutforever
whufc
Coach

Has liked: 5591 times
Been liked: 2531 times
Grassroots Team: BSR

Postby whufc » Fri Jan 27, 2017 8:14 am

Grahaml wrote:And you'd be wrong to think that too. Depression isn't something you can look at with the rationale of a normal person and understand. People with depression aren't being selfish, they're being selfless. It's the thought people would genuinely be better off without you mixed with the belief that there's no way forward.

lol

I love how you can make a judgement on someone you have never met and presume they don't understand

FYI in the last 3 years I have been through a divorce, lost the house I built, only limited access to my children, had a very close mate pass away and have changed jobs, there are definitely people that have had it worse than me for sure but I'm not exactly looking down from my million dollar house with my chopper and my perfect 4.2 family
whufc
Coach

Postby Wedgie » Fri Jan 27, 2017 10:55 am

whufc wrote:

lol

I love how you can make a judgement on someone you have never met and presume they don't understand

FYI in the last 3 years I have been through a divorce, lost the house I built, only limited access to my children, had a very close mate pass away and have changed jobs, there are definitely people that have had it worse than me for sure but I'm not exactly looking down from my million dollar house with my chopper and my perfect 4.2 family

Having hardships in life is not comparabele to depression, it'd be like you saying you understand what its like to have cancer because youve spent time in the sun.
Wedgie
Site Admin

Has liked: 2050 times
Been liked: 3894 times
Grassroots Team: Noarlunga

Postby valleys07 » Fri Jan 27, 2017 11:38 am

Wedgie wrote:
whufc wrote:

lol

Having hardships in life is not comparabele to depression, it'd be like you saying you understand what its like to have cancer because youve spent time in the sun.

Correct, but the above can be the catalyst to someone becoming depressed. Maybe that is what whufc is alluding to?
“Think of me like Yoda, but instead of being little and green I wear suits and I'm awesome. I'm your bro—I'm Broda!”

HOGG Shield 2015 Division I Premiers.
HOGG Shield 2017 Premier League Premiers.
valleys07
Coach

Has liked: 767 times
Been liked: 1169 times
Grassroots Team: Hope Valley

Postby whufc » Fri Jan 27, 2017 12:28 pm

Wedgie wrote:
whufc wrote:

lol

considering that time in life put me in a bad way which ended with me being hospitalised its fair to say there is a slight understanding or my own personal experience to make my own judgement s off.

I have also been diagnosed as suffering from bi polar since the age of 19, while its not identical to 'depression' it does give me a tiny bit of understanding and i have spent alot of time with people with severe depression at many sessions.
whufc
Coach

Postby Wedgie » Fri Jan 27, 2017 12:43 pm

whufc wrote:
Wedgie wrote:
whufc wrote:

lol

considering that time in life put me in a bad way which ended with me being hospitalised its fair to say there is a slight understanding or my own personal experience to make my own judgement s off.

I have also been diagnosed as suffering from bi polar since the age of 19, while its not identical to 'depression' it does give me a tiny bit of understanding and i have spent alot of time with people with severe depression at many sessions.

And yet you still LOL at the thought people are keen to rationalise it? Hardly a laughing out loud subject I would have thought.
Wedgie
Site Admin

Has liked: 2050 times
Been liked: 3894 times
Grassroots Team: Noarlunga

Postby whufc » Fri Jan 27, 2017 1:01 pm

I was lol at his last line

'So many people so keen to rationalise it who cant or wont bother to take the time to understand the whole picture'

Considering i have never met Graham, we have never spoken a word in our life, he wouldn't know a single thing about me its a bit rich for him to state i wouldn't bother to take the time to understand the whole picture.

Interestingly in a lot of the sessions i had while i was unwell we focused on the impact my thoughts would have on my kids and what future i saw for them.

In my recovery being there for my kids and not putting them through the same 'hell' i was going through was a major factor in my ability to get through the situation.

If i made the decision to do something tragic all because i wasn't going to get to see my kids everyday and i had to go back to living in housing trust property made no sense in the end. So i take my own life because i couldn't see them when i wanted yet by doing so they would never get to see me. Especially considering i had played a role in why the marriage had broken down and the situation i was in.

Anyway i will leave this topic alone now as im sure other people have there own stories, experiences etc but i will say places like SAFooty are great for mental state as its a brilliant place to open the mind, share opinions and even take your mind off other topics etc
whufc
Coach

Postby amber_fluid » Fri Jan 27, 2017 3:38 pm

whufc wrote:I was lol at his last line

'So many people so keen to rationalise it who cant or wont bother to take the time to understand the whole picture'

Considering i have never met Graham, we have never spoken a word in our life, he wouldn't know a single thing about me its a bit rich for him to state i wouldn't bother to take the time to understand the whole picture.

Interestingly in a lot of the sessions i had while i was unwell we focused on the impact my thoughts would have on my kids and what future i saw for them.

In my recovery being there for my kids and not putting them through the same 'hell' i was going through was a major factor in my ability to get through the situation.

If i made the decision to do something tragic all because i wasn't going to get to see my kids everyday and i had to go back to living in housing trust property made no sense in the end. She o i take my own life because i couldn't see them when i wanted yet by doing so they would never get to see me. Especially considering i had played a role in why the marriage had broken down and the situation i was in.

Anyway i will leave this topic alone now as im sure other people have there own stories, experiences etc but i will say places like SAFooty are great for mental state as its a brilliant place to open the mind, share opinions and even take your mind off other topics etc

Good post!
Whilst most of us have never met we still feel we know a little bit about each other and we can share past experiences.
There are no stupid questions, just stupid people.
amber_fluid
Coach

Has liked: 2228 times
Been liked: 2523 times

Postby amber_fluid » Fri Jan 27, 2017 4:48 pm

Has there been any recent news of how Hird is going?
There are no stupid questions, just stupid people.
amber_fluid
Coach

Has liked: 2228 times
Been liked: 2523 times

Postby Jim05 » Fri Jan 27, 2017 10:12 pm

amber_fluid wrote:Has there been any recent news of how Hird is going?

Doing aswell as he can be, getting the help he needs but don't think he will be going home anytime soon
Jim05
Coach

Has liked: 1126 times
Been liked: 3553 times
Grassroots Team: South Gawler

Postby Lightning McQueen » Tue Jan 31, 2017 10:28 am

amber_fluid wrote:
whufc wrote:I was lol at his last line

If i made the decision to do something tragic all because i wasn't going to get to see my kids everyday and i had to go back to living in housing trust property made no sense in the end. She o i take my own life because i couldn't see them when i wanted yet by doing so they would never get to see me. Especially considering i had played a role in why the marriage had broken down and the situation i was in.

Good post!
Whilst most of us have never met we still feel we know a little bit about each other and we can share past experiences.

Exactly, the forum can be an escape for some us going thorugh hell, I too had a rough trot over a short period of time with no one to turn to, this place gave me an out and a chance to chat without being constantly asked "are you alright?".

I too had a 15 year marriage breakdown, discovered that I owed over $10K without any knowledge of it, gave up everything I had in my house, had my father pass away then my step son, although depression is never a friend of anyone's it's generally a distant cousin that pops in from time to time to test us out, I was certainly tested a couple of times when I thought it was all too hard to put behind me as I chose to move far enough away form my circle of friends to begin a new life.

Each case is different and no one truly walks in another persons shoes.
HOGG SHIELD DIVISION V WINNER 2018.
Lightning McQueen
Coach

Has liked: 4347 times
Been liked: 7926 times

Postby whufc » Mon Feb 06, 2017 9:30 am

4 Essendon players had their cars stolen over the weekend, very odd

Early reports suggests it may have been a job by the Apex gang
whufc
Coach

Postby Jim05 » Mon Feb 06, 2017 9:43 am

whufc wrote:4 Essendon players had their cars stolen over the weekend, very odd

Quite possibly Apex gang, they are bad in that area. Pretty bad part of Melbourne now. Players were unharmed though
Jim05
Coach

Postby Booney » Mon Feb 06, 2017 9:46 am

Jim05 wrote:

Quite possibly Apex gang, they are bad in that area. Pretty bad part of Melbourne now. Players were unharmed though

Something different for them.
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

Has liked: 7494 times
Been liked: 10781 times

Postby Jim05 » Mon Feb 06, 2017 9:51 am

Booney wrote:
Jim05 wrote:

Something different for them.

The 4 players weren't druggies[emoji3]
Maybe Impey stole their cars
Jim05
Coach

Postby PatowalongaPirate » Wed Feb 08, 2017 9:11 am

Dyson Heppell has been named Essendon's Captain with Hooker and Zach Merrett as his deputies.
safooty Melbourne Cup Day Tipping Champion 2018 & 2019 #Back2Back
2018 safooty NFL Tipping Champion
PatowalongaPirate
2022 SA Footy Punter of the Year

Has liked: 449 times
Been liked: 1215 times
Grassroots Team: Sacred Heart OC

Postby Lightning McQueen » Wed Feb 08, 2017 10:39 am

PatowalongaPirate wrote:Dyson Heppell has been named Essendon's Captain with Hooker and Zach Merrett as his deputies.

Great appointments.

Heppell's paying $51 for the 2017 Brownlow.
HOGG SHIELD DIVISION V WINNER 2018.
Lightning McQueen
Coach

Has liked: 4347 times
Been liked: 7926 times

Postby MW » Wed Feb 08, 2017 12:01 pm

Hearing Aaron Francis has done some sort of knee today
MW
Coach

Has liked: 2610 times
Been liked: 1850 times