Community Cricket Structure

Local cricket is the go here. Any talk about local comps, grade cricket, etc.

Community Cricket Structure

Postby Phantom Gossiper » Tue Mar 18, 2014 2:28 pm

With the rumours of the SCA folding over the winter, C&CCA (despite the most evenly contested season in a long time) struggling for numbers and the Hills leagues facing constant uphill battles, it makes me wonder if it's time someone like SAMCA/SACA stepped in and looked at an overhaul and restructuring of community cricket statewide.

Personally I think the state should be zoned into 3 main sections - South (A&SCA), Metro/Central (C&CCA) and North (PDCA).

Absorb clubs from Hills and SCA into the zones, and obviously re-zone existing clubs accordingly, this would create 3 strong competitions covering all major areas of the state.

Also could look to invest in clubs transitioning to turf wickets, increase the number of turf clubs and split ATCA into North and South zones?

Curious to hear peoples thoughts...
Phantom Gossiper
Coach

Has liked: 402 times
Been liked: 285 times

Re: Community Cricket Structure

Postby heater31 » Tue Mar 18, 2014 2:50 pm

Don't even bother involving SACA they can't even get a review on their own competition....
heater31

Has liked: 525 times
Been liked: 1259 times

Postby Dr Phil » Tue Mar 18, 2014 5:45 pm

sounds glorious but its a pipe dream. however a mate who is involved with the SACA and whose opinion i wouldnt trust told me the winds of change are coming
Dr Phil
Rookie

Has liked: 12 times
Been liked: 24 times

Postby Tony Clifton » Tue Apr 01, 2014 9:23 pm

Could there be an Adelaide Hard Wicket competition the same way there is an Adelaide Turf one?
This is Tony Clifton! A name to respect! A name to fear!
Tony Clifton
League - Top 5

Has liked: 1462 times
Been liked: 244 times
Grassroots Team: Adelaide University

Postby beeroclock » Tue Apr 01, 2014 10:20 pm

Tony Clifton wrote:Could there be an Adelaide Hard Wicket competition the same way there is an Adelaide Turf one?

Too many people would whinge about the travel.
Let's face it the only way it would be successful is if it were ran on relegation promotion system.
To be honest travel doesn't really concern myself both others would whine like a lost dog.
Ideally I'd say just do it somehow and stuff the whinges.
beeroclock
League - Best 21

Has liked: 29 times
Been liked: 53 times

Postby The Old Fellow » Wed Apr 02, 2014 2:27 pm

The rehack of community cricket was raised a number of years ago when SACA did the "Fry" report (from memory thats what it was called) in the last season CUSA. It was mentioned from the floor not from the consultant that the 3 tier system what was in place was not effective as the upper tier being CUSA was a toothless tiger and had no power over the associations and the main thing they did was to organise interassociation matches and sell CUSA tickets to the 20/20, 50 over and Shield matches. It was raised from the floor that for the upper tier to work the middle tier being the association boards/committees needed to disband and the upper tier to then run zoned competitions and control the competitions. When the "Fry" report was released and SACA paying big dollars for it the conclusion was to slightly change the upper tier and rename it from CUSA to SAMCA. Years on we can see that nothing has changed for the better. We dont even get tickets to the 20/20 any more.
The issue is that the associations don't want to lose their identities and who is to blame them as past history doesn't give one a sense of confidence in SAMCA or even SACA. The lastest talk is to get the metro format to mirror image the country one. We saw how that went this season, one association pulling out of the under 21's and others not wanting to play a week long competition. SAMCA need to run what the associations want not what they want.
The Old Fellow
Rookie

Has liked: 1 time
Grassroots Team: Barmera-Monash

Postby Phantom Gossiper » Thu Apr 03, 2014 2:47 pm

Tony Clifton wrote:Could there be an Adelaide Hard Wicket competition the same way there is an Adelaide Turf one?

Too many hard wicket clubs/teams, would be very difficult to manage. Would need to create 2x seperate comps.
Phantom Gossiper
Coach

Postby Phantom Gossiper » Thu Apr 03, 2014 2:49 pm

[quote="The Old Fellow"] It was raised from the floor that for the upper tier to work the middle tier being the association boards/committees needed to disband and the upper tier to then run zoned competitions and control the competitions.quote]
Essentially what I suggested. The current format isn't working for anyone, and CUSA/SAMCA whatever they want to be called appear to hav absolutely no input or control of the associations.

Their T20 Metro comp has fallen to pieces, the inter-association matches are becoming stale.. something needs to happen..
Phantom Gossiper
Coach

Postby Tony Clifton » Thu Apr 03, 2014 6:28 pm

Phantom Gossiper wrote:

Too many hard wicket clubs/teams, would be very difficult to manage. Would need to create 2x seperate comps.

How many hard wicket clubs are there?

More than Adelaide Turf? More than Amateur League footy?
This is Tony Clifton! A name to respect! A name to fear!
Tony Clifton
League - Top 5

Has liked: 1462 times
Been liked: 244 times
Grassroots Team: Adelaide University

Postby The Old Fellow » Thu Apr 03, 2014 10:19 pm

Its not how many hard wicket clubs, its how many teams they field in seniors, juniors and in the case of the PDCA women. I think total number would be far greater than ATCA or SAAFL. CAAA is 22, PDCA is over 100, ASCA similar numbers to PDCA seniors if not more then you have the other junior associations.
The Old Fellow
Rookie

Has liked: 1 time
Grassroots Team: Barmera-Monash

Postby tigerpie » Fri Apr 04, 2014 11:01 am

SCA will still run a junior competition which is very successful by all accounts.
As for ripping up all concrete wickets....the footy clubs would never allow that, and its not economically viable.
ASCA could make a four division comp, north, south, east and west. Top teams in each play off in the finals.
tigerpie
Assistant Coach

Has liked: 498 times
Been liked: 429 times

Postby Phantom Gossiper » Fri Apr 04, 2014 11:05 am

tigerpie wrote:SCA will still run a junior competition which is very successful by all accounts.
As for ripping up all concrete wickets....the footy clubs would never allow that, and its not economically viable.
ASCA could make a four division comp, north, south, east and west. Top teams in each play off in the finals.

Don't think anyone is saying rip up the concrete pitches.

SCA was a good junior comp when I played in it many many many moons ago! Ah those were the days.. u/14's premiers 8)
Phantom Gossiper
Coach

Postby tigerpie » Fri Apr 04, 2014 5:35 pm

Phantom Gossiper wrote:
tigerpie wrote:SCA will still run a junior competition which is very successful by all accounts.

Don't think anyone is saying rip up the concrete pitches.

SCA was a good junior comp when I played in it many many many moons ago! Ah those were the days.. u/14's premiers 8)

Also could look to invest in clubs transitioning to turf wickets, increase the number of turf clubs and split ATCA into North and South zones.

Your post ;)
tigerpie
Assistant Coach

Has liked: 498 times
Been liked: 429 times

Postby Aerie » Fri Apr 04, 2014 5:45 pm

heater31 wrote:Don't even bother involving SACA they can't even get a review on their own competition....

Review attempted/thought about - too hard basket - Premier League created.
Aerie
Coach

Has liked: 147 times
Been liked: 503 times

Postby smac » Fri Apr 04, 2014 5:54 pm

Would a grade club listen to any conclusions of a review?
smac
Coach

Has liked: 165 times
Been liked: 233 times
Grassroots Team: Salisbury

Postby bennymacca » Fri Apr 04, 2014 9:29 pm

question for those out there

what does the current amateur structure look like in the metro area? i know there is adelaide turf, but i dont really know what the rest of the structure is.
bennymacca
Coach

Has liked: 2253 times
Been liked: 1803 times
Grassroots Team: Freeling

Postby Aerie » Sat Apr 05, 2014 8:14 am

smac wrote:Would a grade club listen to any conclusions of a review?

Yes.
Aerie
Coach

Has liked: 147 times
Been liked: 503 times

Postby smac » Sat Apr 05, 2014 9:51 am

Is Rocker off the committee then?
smac
Coach

Has liked: 165 times
Been liked: 233 times
Grassroots Team: Salisbury

Postby Lightning McQueen » Tue Jun 17, 2014 11:35 am

beeroclock wrote:

Too many people would whinge about the travel.
Let's face it the only way it would be successful is if it were ran on relegation promotion system.
To be honest travel doesn't really concern myself both others would whine like a lost dog.
Ideally I'd say just do it somehow and stuff the whinges.

Yeah, when an under 16 finishes at 11:45am and has to travel from Elizabeth to Lonsdale for a 1pm start in his senior game, how dare he complain.

The PDCA has expanded nearly to their geographical limits spanning from Fitzroy, to Tea Tree Gully to Dublin, I t think any of their clubs would be too interested in a statewide competition.
HOGG SHIELD DIVISION V WINNER 2018.
Lightning McQueen
Coach

Has liked: 4339 times
Been liked: 7902 times

Postby Arch44 » Tue Jun 17, 2014 11:47 am

Having played in Adelaide Turf and taken my son from school cricket to grade cricket for Prospect after I stopped playing I always thought that travel just comes with playing sport. You just do it. Maybe I am in the minority?
Hogg Shield Div IV 2018 Winner
Arch44
League - Top 5

Has liked: 717 times
Been liked: 272 times

Next

Board index   Other Sports  Regional Cricket Comps