Eric 2014

All discussions to do with the SANFL

Re: Eric 2014

Postby Hazydog » Wed Mar 26, 2014 11:31 am

kickinit wrote:Port setup is different to the crows. Port don't have a set amount it will pay the SANFL, it will hand back it's annual dividend generated by the SANFL. Port membership also works the same as every other SANFL club, so you can buy just a home game membership or a home and away membership. Not sure how much the other clubs make off the home and away membership. In saying all that though how much actually goes back to the clubs no one knows, more then likely they will receive nothing.

I thought the Magpies gave up their dividend previously when they became "one club"?
Players win touches, Teams win matches, Clubs win Premierships.
Hazydog
League Bench Warmer

Has liked: 117 times
Been liked: 191 times

Postby topsywaldron » Wed Mar 26, 2014 2:24 pm

mighty_tiger_79 wrote:maybe Port just said those things and didn't mean them, who knows.

LOL.
'People are not stupid. They know when they are being conned. And two reserves teams operating in a League competition will reduce it to a farce, a competition without a soul.'

Dion Hayman 24th July 2013
topsywaldron
Veteran

Has liked: 21 times
Been liked: 218 times

Postby Booney » Wed Mar 26, 2014 3:44 pm

topsywaldron wrote:
mighty_tiger_79 wrote:maybe Port just said those things and didn't mean them, who knows.

LOL.

Topsy seems to know. What can you tell us, Topsy?
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

Has liked: 7491 times
Been liked: 10774 times

Postby cracka » Wed Mar 26, 2014 4:11 pm

tipper wrote:
mighty_tiger_79 wrote:but clubs get $100k - $50k from each

nowhere have i seen it that the power are paying the same 50k to each club, i hope they are, but if it could be linked to confirm i would be appreciative, thanks.

on a slight aside, add one to the tally for south and centrals memberships for this season, i purchased my memberships online yesterday. thats 4 memberships from my household that North will miss out on this season directly due to the reserves vote. and i wont be going to games either. thats a couple of hundred bucks in memberships and god knows how much i put over the bar each weekend that they wont be getting, wont take too many more like me and that 50k the crows are paying will evaporate....

and JTC, i had my say at the info night, and was laughed at by our illustrious president, i voted at the agm against the only board member that was resitting who alledgedly voted yes, but unfortunately our legion of happy clappers in the stand were happy to vote how our president wanted, and he was returned.

as you said though, too little too late anyway. ill enjoy my weekend time doing other things this year. ill keep an eye on how things unfold, but i wont hold my breath they will change. to those that are still going to attened/buy memberships, i have no problem with your decision. everyone has to decide for themselves what they will do. just because we disagree, doesnt mean one of us is wrong (unless it is my wife and i with the disagreement..... :oops: )

to any centrals supporters, i am going to try to get to your first home game. ill be the fat bastard in the North gear with a centrals membership. come up and say hi and we can have a beer :)

To me that suggests that the majority of North supporters are happy with the decision to let the AFL reserves into the SANFL.

Did any club actually have a members vote (on letting AFL reserves in) before the decision & if so what were the results.
cracka
Veteran

Has liked: 461 times
Been liked: 566 times
Grassroots Team: Onkaparinga Valley

Postby topsywaldron » Wed Mar 26, 2014 4:17 pm

Booney wrote:
topsywaldron wrote:

LOL.

That I found that phrase amusing.

Free world innit guvnor?
'People are not stupid. They know when they are being conned. And two reserves teams operating in a League competition will reduce it to a farce, a competition without a soul.'

topsywaldron
Veteran

Postby Booney » Wed Mar 26, 2014 4:42 pm

topsywaldron wrote:
Booney wrote:
topsywaldron wrote:

LOL.

That I found that phrase amusing.
Free world innit guvnor?

Truer word never spoken. Just thought you might have had something of substance for us. ;)
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

Has liked: 7491 times
Been liked: 10774 times

Postby topsywaldron » Wed Mar 26, 2014 6:37 pm

Booney wrote:Truer word never spoken. Just thought you might have had something of substance for us. ;)

3000 odd posts in, you should know better by now.

topsywaldron
Veteran

Postby LPH » Wed Mar 26, 2014 8:13 pm

From a former Eagles Member's perspective:

1. No members were given a vote - Slavin made the decision
2. When challenged (he actually sought me out before our 'Club Meeting') his response was "The Supporters will get used to it & in time, those who leave will all come back eventually" - I know one supporter at least who won't!
3. I have not renewed my Membership - my son too is sad that we will not be 'hanging out' with our mates in the Barry Jarman Stand - this saddens me greatly but that is the price you pay for principle
4. I said all along that if the Club had allowed the Members to vote & the decision turned out in favour of the Cows Ressies in the SANFL (as Slavin himself suggested was the overwhelming view of the WWTFC Board), then I would still be a paid up member because at least they would've had the respect to put it to the vote - they didn't, so I am not

In terms of who is to blame?
The 7 Clubs that voted Yes - no question, but...
They were not alone:
Port were very clever THIS TIME around - they allowed the Cows to be the 'fall guy', smart move after the issues of 1990.
The Media - particularly the Commercial Media, played a huge part in this. 5AA eventually refused to even allow callers on their Footy Shows who were not in favour & who had valid arguments against the move, to be heard. Channel 9 tried to 'go in the back door' & they got 'left' with the Ammos. Channel 7 get both the Cows & PAPs Reserves on 7mate, every week - not sure how much coverage the rest of the Clubs will get - time will tell but me thinks very little over time.

Personally, I think Olsen & the Cows,Rob Chapman & Steven Trigg are the MOST to blame for this - they 'drove' the agenda of a Reserves Team in the League Competition & as we know they have acted with such 'integrity' & 'aplomb' over the past decade with all things AFC, haven't they? :roll:

Clearly, having AFL Reserves Teams in any competition, SANFL or otherwise is a tremendous boost for the 2 Franchises themselves & good luck to them, they managed to get what that wanted - as have The West Coast Eagles & Freo Dockers over the border.

Unfortunately, I think the 7 SANFL Club Chiefs failed to recognise that prior to 2014, young kids could have 2 x Teams to support - an AFL & an SANFL Club. Now the chances are that many will only have 1 - an AFL Team & their Reserves side. This must surely impact on the local SANFL Clubs from a merchandising aspect if nothing else, let alone attendances, catering, etc.

The question of whether or not to 'keep up the fight'? - The battle was lost & the Corporate Giant won. I would contend that they were always going to.
Whether or not one renewed one's Club Membership in 2014 or not is immaterial, really.
What concerns me is that we seem to want to 'eat our own' as a result of what individual decision we each made - surely, that alone provides the AFL juggernaught with it's ultimate desire - "divide & conquer".

I've said it before, but the happiest person in Australia must surely be Ross Oakley.
The last 2 legitimate competitions outside of the VFL/AFL are now compromised & it is only a matter of time before they become AFLWA & AFLSA.

I hate to say this (because the wounds of 1990 did cut very deep) but perhaps Max & the SANFL made the wrong decision by 'inventing' the Adelaide Football Club. Had Port & Norwood been the 2 teams to join the expanded VFL competition, we may well still have an 8 team SANFL Competition - who knows?

What can not be questioned however, is that the SANFL will never be the same as of 2014.

Some would argue (many on here have, particularly those who support Port) that the competition was compromised as of 1991 - perhaps that's true but if we continue to argue among ourselves about who is right & who is wrong - that's somewhat pointless, isn't it?

AFC & PAP are in the competition & I would suggest here to stay - can't see anything changing on that front, sorry UKFan :(
Either one accepts it & continues to support one's Club - or you don't.
But because you choose to & I choose not to, doesn't make you (or I) "Holly than Thou".
Personally, I've chosen to support the competition (by going to various grounds & paying an Entry Fee) rather than supporting the Club that failed to allow me a say in their decision. Doesn't make me better than anyone, just my preference.

An Anti-Cows CS would be fun though, don't you think? :lol:

Sorry, Rant over :oops:
Stephen Trigg & Rob Chapman are SA Football Patriots
LPH
League - Best 21

Has liked: 541 times
Been liked: 326 times
Grassroots Team: Kenilworth

Postby Big Phil » Wed Mar 26, 2014 8:36 pm

LEH wrote:Channel 7 get both the Cows & PAPs Reserves on 7mate, every week - not sure how much coverage the rest of the Clubs will get - time will tell but me thinks very little over time.

I've seen the schedule for the year from Channel 7 and I can assure you that there is a reasonably fair share of ALL the SANFL clubs )(and AFL Reserves sides) being covered. In fact, I'm pretty sure one of the non-AFL Reserves sides actually has the most games covered for any club.
Big Phil
Coach

Has liked: 120 times
Been liked: 271 times

Postby The Sleeping Giant » Wed Mar 26, 2014 8:45 pm

Norwood.
Cannabis is safer than alcohol
The Sleeping Giant
Coach

Has liked: 69 times
Been liked: 193 times

Postby Aerie » Wed Mar 26, 2014 9:18 pm

Well said LEH. I have leant the other way, I am willing to give it a go and purchased a season ticket last week. Do understand yours and others points of view. I just want to go to the footy on a Saturday afternoon and enjoy it. They need to do this well, because the SANFL clubs can't afford to lose their most passionate supporters. It will be an interesting season and it will be interesting to see how it pans out. I am looking forward to watching the Eagles without any AFL players coming and going. I think all the SANFL sides will be more settled which will be a good thing.
Aerie
Coach

Has liked: 147 times
Been liked: 504 times

Postby RB » Wed Mar 26, 2014 11:22 pm

LEH wrote:From a former Eagles Member's perspective:

1. No members were given a vote - Slavin made the decision
2. When challenged (he actually sought me out before our 'Club Meeting') his response was "The Supporters will get used to it & in time, those who leave will all come back eventually" - I know one supporter at least who won't!

Make that two.
R.I.P. the SANFL 1877 - 2013
RB
Coach

Has liked: 765 times
Been liked: 1074 times

Postby StrayDog » Thu Mar 27, 2014 12:08 am

Big Phil wrote:
LEH wrote:Channel 7 get both the Cows & PAPs Reserves on 7mate, every week - not sure how much coverage the rest of the Clubs will get - time will tell but me thinks very little over time.

I've seen the schedule for the year from Channel 7 and I can assure you that there is a reasonably fair share of ALL the SANFL clubs )(and AFL Reserves sides) being covered. In fact, I'm pretty sure one of the non-AFL Reserves sides actually has the most games covered for any club.

Fair enough, that's this year. Not really that surprising given that part of getting clubs on side would have been better exposure.

I think LEH's caveat lay somewhere after in the last "-" .
"— here I opened wide the door; —
Darkness there, and nothing more."

- Edgar Allan Poe from " The Raven "

StrayDog
League Bench Warmer

Has liked: 1147 times
Been liked: 194 times

Previous

Board index   Football  SANFL