Clubs in strife

Adelaide Footy League Talk

Re: Clubs in strife

Postby Q. » Wed Mar 26, 2014 11:34 am

Footy Smart wrote:
Haynzy wrote:I would say that Houghton would have an easier time of attracting players, as there are plenty of blokes around the North Eastern suburbs happy to have a kick and a laugh with mates in a lower division. Plus there are a large amount of high schools in the area with kids still playing Aussie Rules rather than soccer.

The challenge more sits with the higher division clubs attracting enough quality players that want to take it serious, so need to look outside of the local areas.

Agreed Haynzy, Houghton seem compfortable (while im sure always looking to play as high as possible) with where they play. They dont 'sell their soul' to be something they arent. I know a few of the houghton boys and they just love the club culture and playing with mates so it serves their purpose.

All of the North-Eastern suburb clubs are very well run and it is definitely an area with a high interest in Aussie Rules and rich in talent.
Q.
Coach

Has liked: 970 times
Been liked: 2396 times
Grassroots Team: Houghton Districts

Postby Phantom Gossiper » Wed Mar 26, 2014 11:36 am

Footy Chick wrote:
The Cows wrote:I Also the younger blokes are different these days, they want to travel etc. I know we have lost over 30 players this year.

Would you regard this as the main reason for the exodus at Flinders Park Cows?

Question: If a club has 4 sides like FP last season, how many points is a player worth if he plays in the C grade?! :?
Phantom Gossiper
Coach

Has liked: 402 times
Been liked: 285 times

Postby jo172 » Wed Mar 26, 2014 11:40 am

Phantom Gossiper wrote:
Footy Chick wrote:
The Cows wrote:I Also the younger blokes are different these days, they want to travel etc. I know we have lost over 30 players this year.

Question: If a club has 4 sides like FP last season, how many points is a player worth if he plays in the C grade?! :?

0. Players are only worth points if they play a majority of games in the senior team of a club.

This does create an odd anomaly where if I recruited Houghton's best div 7 player he would be worth 2 points, but if I recruited Flinders Park's best div 7 player he would be worth zero despite it being hypothetically possible that the Flinders Park player is superior.
jo172
League - Top 5

Has liked: 1199 times
Been liked: 725 times

Postby zedman » Wed Mar 26, 2014 11:46 am

Arch44 wrote:I personally would like to see the amateur league live up to its name have no clubs pay any players. Will never happen I know.

its not the amateur league by name any more..its the adelaide football league.."amateurism" was officially dropped years ago anyway..many old scholar teams pay players..you will never put that genie back in the bottle..its here to stay..
zedman
Coach

Has liked: 1079 times
Been liked: 387 times

Postby MatteeG » Wed Mar 26, 2014 11:51 am

Being from the SFL, I'm amazed how close (geographically) a lot of clubs are in the SAAFL, particularly in the north.

Eventually this will have to cause the demise of some clubs through sheer competition for players- as FC has pointed out with Kilburn, as suburbs change the number of potential players can vary quite quickly.
helicopterking wrote:Flaggies will choke. Always have.
MatteeG
Assistant Coach

Has liked: 524 times
Been liked: 511 times
Grassroots Team: Flagstaff Hill

Postby Phantom Gossiper » Wed Mar 26, 2014 11:52 am

jo172 wrote:
Phantom Gossiper wrote:Question: If a club has 4 sides like FP last season, how many points is a player worth if he plays in the C grade?! :?

0. Players are only worth points if they play a majority of games in the senior team of a club.

This does create an odd anomaly where if I recruited Houghton's best div 7 player he would be worth 2 points, but if I recruited Flinders Park's best div 7 player he would be worth zero despite it being hypothetically possible that the Flinders Park player is superior.

Perhaps it's time for that to be looked at again or move away from having C&D grade sides compete with A grade side *enter Marbles and his super C grade!* :lol:
Phantom Gossiper
Coach

Postby LaughingKookaburra » Wed Mar 26, 2014 12:14 pm

I'm still trying to figure out how Flinders Uni are close to the GSFL? They'd be 35-40kms from Willunga ;) . Maybe Hills comp FC.

The if you put a 10km radius around Flinders Uni there are a truckload of clubs (up to 15 I count) and in them are some of the biggest football clubs in the state. Tough area.
Can you bring a man to his feet when defeat is on repeat?
LaughingKookaburra
Coach

Has liked: 73 times
Been liked: 741 times
Grassroots Team: Kenilworth

Postby Robb_Stark » Wed Mar 26, 2014 12:17 pm

probably 3-4 things that stand out

1.seems lot more people are quitting the game due to age/work/family
2.most Junior clubs have had a drop in numbers overall (yes we all know about the super clubs they are not effected)
3.clubs are a stone throw away from each other around the north that i know of so we all after the same people
4.parents dont want there kids playing football as they think it is to rough

its a big issue the power house clubs dont help the situation one bit trying to take every single kid to there club and stuff the rest......i personally can see in the future north clubs will either fold or merge as the numbers drop of while we all love our club lot are just so near each other that it creates huge problems
Robb_Stark
League - Best 21

Has liked: 72 times
Been liked: 155 times

Postby gadj1976 » Wed Mar 26, 2014 12:31 pm

jo172 wrote:
Phantom Gossiper wrote:
Footy Chick wrote:

I agree with that though. Flinders Park as a club wouldn't be as 'set back' as Houghton would - because FP aren't losing their club's best player.
gadj1976
Coach

Has liked: 796 times
Been liked: 850 times

Postby Phantom Gossiper » Wed Mar 26, 2014 12:34 pm

gadj1976 wrote:I agree with that though. Flinders Park as a club wouldn't be as 'set back' as Houghton would - because FP aren't losing their club's best player.

But it could be part of the reason why clubs see a drop in numbers.. suddenly clubs in lower grades now have a chance to secure blokes who are capable of and playing in that div (or higher) and it doesnt affect their points either..
Phantom Gossiper
Coach

Postby marbles » Wed Mar 26, 2014 12:35 pm

has anyone considered the cost of playing at these clubs, not everyone is paid and infact the majority has to pay to play

i looked on TTG website and their registration fees are half of what they are at my club

could one express how much rego is at...

# smithfield = $$?
# angle vale = $$?

at flinders park, what has caused the mass exodus?? i think last year they were strong because a bunch of blokes from a country club came down to play cgrade for the reds. im guessing theyre gone?

how much are flinders parks rego fees? did they suddenly go up
marbles
Assistant Coach

Has liked: 276 times
Been liked: 259 times

Postby Mr Beefy » Wed Mar 26, 2014 12:39 pm

marbles wrote:has anyone considered the cost of playing at these clubs, not everyone is paid and infact the majority has to pay to play

i looked on TTG website and their registration fees are half of what they are at my club

could one express how much rego is at...

# smithfield = $$?
# angle vale = $$?

at flinders park, what has caused the mass exodus?? i think last year they were strong because a bunch of blokes from a country club came down to play cgrade for the reds. im guessing theyre gone?

how much are flinders parks rego fees? did they suddenly go up

your club at $500 would be an anomoly
Mr Beefy
Coach

Has liked: 406 times
Been liked: 651 times
Grassroots Team: Rosewater

Postby gadj1976 » Wed Mar 26, 2014 12:40 pm

Phantom Gossiper wrote:
gadj1976 wrote:I agree with that though. Flinders Park as a club wouldn't be as 'set back' as Houghton would - because FP aren't losing their club's best player.

But it could be part of the reason why clubs see a drop in numbers.. suddenly clubs in lower grades now have a chance to secure blokes who are capable of and playing in that div (or higher) and it doesnt affect their points either..

Oh no doubt PG. Hence the merry go round of ammo footy.

If I were a club in say Div 4, who do you reckon I'd target? I'd target someone playing a div below mine and not for the A's, but with potential. Instant 'freebie' (in points terms).

Getting blokes in from other clubs is tricky. As they say in AFL terms, you have to pay over the odds to get guys to change clubs. So for our div's, either its money, financial respite (ie, not paying fees), employment, drink card or some other benefit to entice players. If that also costs you 'points' then you have to weigh up whether that is what you actually want.
gadj1976
Coach

Has liked: 796 times
Been liked: 850 times

Postby marbles » Wed Mar 26, 2014 12:41 pm

http://www.gullies.com.au/seniors

sensational prices....
marbles
Assistant Coach

Has liked: 276 times
Been liked: 259 times

Postby jo172 » Wed Mar 26, 2014 12:44 pm

gadj1976 wrote:
jo172 wrote:
Phantom Gossiper wrote:Question: If a club has 4 sides like FP last season, how many points is a player worth if he plays in the C grade?! :?

I agree with that though. Flinders Park as a club wouldn't be as 'set back' as Houghton would - because FP aren't losing their club's best player.

But the Points system doesn't work to protect the club being poached from, rather it limits the capacity of the poachee.

Say Adelaide University was the theoretical recruiter in this hypothetical.

They've gained a stronger player for zero points.

The system is imperfect, but it is what it is
jo172
League - Top 5

Postby Q. » Wed Mar 26, 2014 12:44 pm

marbles wrote:http://www.gullies.com.au/seniors

sensational prices....

Not bad. I like what they do for students, apprentices etc.
Q.
Coach

Has liked: 970 times
Been liked: 2396 times
Grassroots Team: Houghton Districts

Postby The Cows » Wed Mar 26, 2014 12:46 pm

Its one of a few! Its just a real shame as i was the first coach of our D grade a few years ago and worked my ass of getting numbers to make it viable. When you have 4 sides all you need is to lose 10 or so players and it test you out. Then half way through the year you have injuries above and then it really falls apart.
The Cows
Rookie

Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 1 time
Grassroots Team: Flinders Park

Postby jo172 » Wed Mar 26, 2014 12:47 pm

marbles wrote:http://www.gullies.com.au/seniors

sensational prices....

That's around the mark for all club's when mine conducted an informal survey when setting ours.

Of course this inevitably means that Footballers aren't covering the cost to put themselves on the field (once you factor in oval hire, clubrooms hire, electricity, uniforms, balls, tape, umpires, association dues etc.)

We worked out it costs on average $400 to put a footballer on the field, but if we charged that we soon wouldn't be putting any footballers on the field. Leaves a big deficit for fundraising and sponsorships to fill before you even think about paying someone.
jo172
League - Top 5

Postby X Runna » Wed Mar 26, 2014 12:48 pm

Robb_Stark wrote:probably 3-4 things that stand out

1.seems lot more people are quitting the game due to age/work/family
2.most Junior clubs have had a drop in numbers overall (yes we all know about the super clubs they are not effected)
3.clubs are a stone throw away from each other around the north that i know of so we all after the same people
4.parents dont want there kids playing football as they think it is to rough

its a big issue the power house clubs dont help the situation one bit trying to take every single kid to there club and stuff the rest......i personally can see in the future north clubs will either fold or merge as the numbers drop of while we all love our club lot are just so near each other that it creates huge problems

Your points are very valid. I know of several kids who have given it away over the years purely because they weren't able to get a regular game and Mum & Dad didn't like it so pulled them out. Maybe time for the junior associations to set a limit on the number of kids clubs can have in their respective age groups so they do head off to another club for a game.
Last edited by X Runna on Wed Mar 26, 2014 12:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
X Runna
Reserves

Has liked: 124 times
Been liked: 58 times
Grassroots Team: Ingle Farm

Postby Reilly » Wed Mar 26, 2014 12:48 pm

The Cows wrote:Its one of a few! Its just a real shame as i was the first coach of our D grade a few years ago and worked my ass of getting numbers to make it viable. When you have 4 sides all you need is to lose 10 or so players and it test you out. Then half way through the year you have injuries above and then it really falls apart.

The change in coach this off season has seen a few decide to take the year off I think. As you said early it goes in cycles.
Reilly

Has liked: 2 times
Been liked: 4 times
Grassroots Team: Flinders Park

PreviousNext

Board index   Football  Other Footy Leagues  Adelaide Footy League