Clubs in strife

Adelaide Footy League Talk

Re: Clubs in strife

Postby Footy Smart » Wed Mar 26, 2014 12:49 pm

marbles wrote:http://www.gullies.com.au/seniors

sensational prices....

They are the same as Modbury, think the fees are $230 which includes the $30 sporting club membership.

To play cricket at TTGDCC fees are over $300
Footy Smart
Coach

Has liked: 54 times
Been liked: 118 times
Grassroots Team: Modbury

Postby marbles » Wed Mar 26, 2014 12:50 pm

is it too late for a Div 4 club to go up & fill kilburns div 3 spot??

if a shuffle occured from top to bottom, thered be vacancies from div 4 down

would houghton & smithfield be willing to go to div 6

would a rosewater/fitzroy go to div 5

would a div 5 club go up to div 4 etc etc
marbles
Assistant Coach

Has liked: 276 times
Been liked: 259 times

Postby gadj1976 » Wed Mar 26, 2014 12:51 pm

jo172 wrote:
gadj1976 wrote:
jo172 wrote:
Phantom Gossiper wrote:Question: If a club has 4 sides like FP last season, how many points is a player worth if he plays in the C grade?! :?

0. Players are only worth points if they play a majority of games in the senior team of a club.

This does create an odd anomaly where if I recruited Houghton's best div 7 player he would be worth 2 points, but if I recruited Flinders Park's best div 7 player he would be worth zero despite it being hypothetically possible that the Flinders Park player is superior.

I agree with that though. Flinders Park as a club wouldn't be as 'set back' as Houghton would - because FP aren't losing their club's best player.

But the Points system doesn't work to protect the club being poached from, rather it limits the capacity of the poachee.

Say Adelaide University was the theoretical recruiter in this hypothetical.

They've gained a stronger player for zero points.

The system is imperfect, but it is what it is

No it doesn't. But neither it should.

When I played, we had SAAFL clubs in Div 3 with guys who'd played SANFL the year before strolling around (Tom Warhurst (Nwd), Bradley Ryan (WA)). (BTW, not having a go at them, nor their SAAFL clubs - good luck to them!).

It made the competition lop sided and difficult to be competitive in unless you had HUGE amounts of $$'s. Hence it's been brought in to limit the big spending of clubs - and subsequently going broke off the back of it.

Personally I fully support any mechanism where the clubs don't spend up big for one year only to go bust the next. If this system works, then I'm all for it!

Some clubs can sustain huge salaries for their players but some can't but want success at any cost. Ingle Farm did it (late 80's) and turned their club around on the back of almost going bust and from what I understand, will never do it again.
gadj1976
Coach

Has liked: 796 times
Been liked: 850 times

Postby marbles » Wed Mar 26, 2014 1:07 pm

create a 'Division 0'....

# Kilburn
# Mitchell Park
# Flinders Uni
# Angle Vale
# Wingfield
# Flinders Park

shuffle the rest of the teams up to fill the voids

as a result

div 3 = 1 vacancy to fill
div 4 = 1 vacancy to fill
div 5 = 1 vacancy to fill
div 6 = 3 vacancies to fill (rosewater up, mitchell park gone, angle vale gone)
div 7 = 5 vacancies to fill (houghton up, smithfield up, north pines up, flinders uni gone, flinders park gone)

remaining div 7 sides = henley, modbury, smosh, adelaide uni, shocs,
remaining div 8 sides = PNU, golden grove, north haven, hope valley, pac, old ignations, salisbury, TTG, blackwood

wow we'd almost have....
C-Grade super league!!!!
marbles
Assistant Coach

Has liked: 276 times
Been liked: 259 times

Postby Pag » Wed Mar 26, 2014 1:26 pm

marbles wrote:create a 'Division 0'....

# Kilburn
# Mitchell Park
# Flinders Uni
# Angle Vale
# Wingfield
# Flinders Park

shuffle the rest of the teams up to fill the voids

as a result

div 3 = 1 vacancy to fill
div 4 = 1 vacancy to fill
div 5 = 1 vacancy to fill
div 6 = 3 vacancies to fill (rosewater up, mitchell park gone, angle vale gone)
div 7 = 5 vacancies to fill (houghton up, smithfield up, north pines up, flinders uni gone, flinders park gone)

remaining div 7 sides = henley, modbury, smosh, adelaide uni, shocs,
remaining div 8 sides = PNU, golden grove, north haven, hope valley, pac, old ignations, salisbury, TTG, blackwood

wow we'd almost have....
C-Grade super league!!!!
Something like this may be the case in 2015, too late now to be shuffling clubs up and down A Grade divisions.
Pag
Coach

Has liked: 18 times
Been liked: 499 times

Postby Jetters » Wed Mar 26, 2014 1:49 pm

Clubs with strong juniors are thriving not struggling.

School based clubs seem to becoming more organised and maintaining a stronger connection with old scholars.

Is it just that 65 clubs or whatever it is is not sustainable?

I guess it works as any business and the market will ultimately work itself out, maybe its the amount of clubs that exist now is unsustainable and exceeds demand. Many have mentioned how close clubs are together, maybe its just too many and we are seeing the reduction of clubs for fewer clubs with more teams.
Jetters
Reserves

Has liked: 106 times
Been liked: 119 times
Grassroots Team: Unley

Postby jo172 » Wed Mar 26, 2014 2:19 pm

Jetters wrote:Clubs with strong juniors are thriving not struggling.

School based clubs seem to becoming more organised and maintaining a stronger connection with old scholars.

Is it just that 65 clubs or whatever it is is not sustainable?

I guess it works as any business and the market will ultimately work itself out, maybe its the amount of clubs that exist now is unsustainable and exceeds demand. Many have mentioned how close clubs are together, maybe its just too many and we are seeing the reduction of clubs for fewer clubs with more teams.

This, it sucks to say it out loud as it's always sad when a club goes under but we may need to grit our teeth and take a realist approach to all this.
jo172
League - Top 5

Has liked: 1199 times
Been liked: 725 times

Postby S Demon » Wed Mar 26, 2014 2:39 pm

Footy Smart wrote:

sensational prices....

They are the same as Modbury, think the fees are $230 which includes the $30 sporting club membership.

Ours are similar. $250 for A's and B's. $140 for U18's. Also includes a sporting club membership

We introduced a "Pay as you play" system for the C & D Grade this year. $40 up front for every player, then $10 per game. Don't play, don't pay. This ensures we get the same amount of money coming in weekly, rather than 60 odd blokes paying part subs for the whole year and then disappearing. Easier to budget for too.

Works out cheaper overall if you play every game, but we will actually get more $$ by the end of the year from the lower grades than in previous years..
S Demon
Assistant Coach

Has liked: 312 times
Been liked: 370 times
Grassroots Team: Hope Valley

Postby Arch44 » Wed Mar 26, 2014 2:43 pm

S Demon wrote:
Footy Smart wrote:

sensational prices....

Ours are similar. $250 for A's and B's. $140 for U18's. Also includes a sporting club membership

We introduced a "Pay as you play" system for the C & D Grade this year. $40 up front for every player, then $10 per game. Don't play, don't pay. This ensures we get the same amount of money coming in weekly, rather than 60 odd blokes paying part subs for the whole year and then disappearing. Easier to budget for too.

Works out cheaper overall if you play every game, but we will actually get more $$ by the end of the year from the lower grades than in previous years..

West Croydon fees are $130 which includes a club shirt I think. Probably one of the cheapest around.
Hogg Shield Div IV 2018 Winner
Arch44
League - Top 5

Has liked: 717 times
Been liked: 272 times

Postby Footy Smart » Wed Mar 26, 2014 2:46 pm

S Demon wrote:
Footy Smart wrote:

sensational prices....

Believe we have the same pay as you play for C/D/E grade S Demon. I think last year was the best year the club has had at getting 99% of the fees actually paid. With the last few rounds, if you were un financial you didnt get picked!
Footy Smart
Coach

Has liked: 54 times
Been liked: 118 times
Grassroots Team: Modbury

Postby jo172 » Wed Mar 26, 2014 2:51 pm

Footy Smart wrote:
S Demon wrote:
Footy Smart wrote:

Believe we have the same pay as you play for C/D/E grade S Demon. I think last year was the best year the club has had at getting 99% of the fees actually paid. With the last few rounds, if you were un financial you didnt get picked!

My club does the same.

Great results in terms of collecting money.

We find that our most successful years in terms of collecting fees directly correlates to having sides in finals!
jo172
League - Top 5

Postby Phantom Gossiper » Wed Mar 26, 2014 3:00 pm

Arch44 wrote:West Croydon fees are $130 which includes a club shirt I think. Probably one of the cheapest around.

WHAAAAT?!?!?!?!

Sign me up! :lol:
Phantom Gossiper
Coach

Has liked: 402 times
Been liked: 285 times

Postby Cohiba » Wed Mar 26, 2014 3:07 pm

X Runna wrote:
Robb_Stark wrote:probably 3-4 things that stand out

1.seems lot more people are quitting the game due to age/work/family
2.most Junior clubs have had a drop in numbers overall (yes we all know about the super clubs they are not effected)
3.clubs are a stone throw away from each other around the north that i know of so we all after the same people
4.parents dont want there kids playing football as they think it is to rough

its a big issue the power house clubs dont help the situation one bit trying to take every single kid to there club and stuff the rest......i personally can see in the future north clubs will either fold or merge as the numbers drop of while we all love our club lot are just so near each other that it creates huge problems

Your points are very valid. I know of several kids who have given it away over the years purely because they weren't able to get a regular game and Mum & Dad didn't like it so pulled them out. Maybe time for the junior associations to set a limit on the number of kids clubs can have in their respective age groups so they do head off to another club for a game.

How exactly would Clubs be "taking" every single kid to there Club so as to "stuff" the rest. Infrastructure, Volunteers, Environment, Coaches, Coercion, Door Knock appeal.....offering $$$ perhaps.... :)

And the setting of a cap on the number of kids who live in proximity of Club or those wanting to go tryout at a specific Club because of mates there, to then be told sorry, we have our quota, but there other Clubs in other suburbs you can try out at.....providing they haven't also reached the cap level. I'm not sure how that would work....or how parents would react. Pretty sure I know how I would.....but then I might be in the minority.... :)
Cohiba
Reserves

Has liked: 10 times
Been liked: 41 times

Postby Arch44 » Wed Mar 26, 2014 3:18 pm

Phantom Gossiper wrote:
Arch44 wrote:West Croydon fees are $130 which includes a club shirt I think. Probably one of the cheapest around.

WHAAAAT?!?!?!?!

Sign me up! :lol:

:lol: Not sure if there are many clubs under 200 let alone 150!
Arch44
League - Top 5

Postby Phantom Gossiper » Wed Mar 26, 2014 3:25 pm

Arch44 wrote: :lol: Not sure if there are many clubs under 200 let alone 150!
That's crazy cheap!
Ingle Farm last season from memory was $200 + shorts & socks, so around the $265 mark.. and no free club shirt - not even for the C grade coach :lol:
Phantom Gossiper
Coach

Has liked: 402 times
Been liked: 285 times

Postby Arch44 » Wed Mar 26, 2014 3:31 pm

Phantom Gossiper wrote:
Arch44 wrote: :lol: Not sure if there are many clubs under 200 let alone 150!
That's crazy cheap!
Ingle Farm last season from memory was $200 + shorts & socks, so around the $265 mark.. and no free club shirt - not even for the C grade coach :lol:

We do charge for shorts and socks which is another 35 at a guess. We don't pay any players either other than awards game day, So we don't have that to worry about. Bit rude not giving a coach a shirt!!
Arch44
League - Top 5

Postby hill » Wed Mar 26, 2014 4:21 pm

Fitzroy is $205 which includes shorts and socks
hill
Rookie

Has liked: 4 times
Been liked: 4 times
Grassroots Team: Para Hills

Postby Robb_Stark » Wed Mar 26, 2014 4:26 pm

Cohiba wrote:
X Runna wrote:

2.most Junior clubs have had a drop in numbers overall (yes we all know about the super clubs they are not effected)
3.clubs are a stone throw away from each other around the north that i know of so we all after the same people

its a big issue the power house clubs dont help the situation one bit trying to take every single kid to there club and stuff the rest......i personally can see in the future north clubs will either fold or merge as the numbers drop of while we all love our club lot are just so near each other that it creates huge problems

Your points are very valid. I know of several kids who have given it away over the years purely because they weren't able to get a regular game and Mum & Dad didn't like it so pulled them out. Maybe time for the junior associations to set a limit on the number of kids clubs can have in their respective age groups so they do head off to another club for a game.

How exactly would Clubs be "taking" every single kid to there Club so as to "stuff" the rest. Infrastructure, Volunteers, Environment, Coaches, Coercion, Door Knock appeal.....offering $$$ perhaps.... :)

And the setting of a cap on the number of kids who live in proximity of Club or those wanting to go tryout at a specific Club because of mates there, to then be told sorry, we have our quota, but there other Clubs in other suburbs you can try out at.....providing they haven't also reached the cap level. I'm not sure how that would work....or how parents would react. Pretty sure I know how I would.....but then I might be in the minority.... :)

do you want me to name all the clubs last year who 2 or more teams in the same age bracket and while im at it do i put postcodes in as examples to see just where these kids are coming from to play at certain clubs in the northern areas.......these clubs only care for themselves and not the overall comp......this is the problem 65 clubs none give a shit about the other and all want whats best for that club at the expense of other clubs rather then work together to promote the game and make sure the players are spread around
Robb_Stark
League - Best 21

Has liked: 72 times
Been liked: 155 times

Postby Look Good In Leather » Wed Mar 26, 2014 4:30 pm

Robb_Stark wrote:
Cohiba wrote:
X Runna wrote:

do you want me to name all the clubs last year who 2 or more teams in the same age bracket and while im at it do i put postcodes in as examples to see just where these kids are coming from to play at certain clubs in the northern areas.......these clubs only care for themselves and not the overall comp......this is the problem 65 clubs none give a shit about the other and all want whats best for that club at the expense of other clubs rather then work together to promote the game and make sure the players are spread around

Too many clubs, not enough population. The strongest clubs will survive - I know what I would be doing.

Would not want to be the next Cambelltown-Magill, Burnside-Kensington, Ovingham or Paralowie
Look Good In Leather
League - Best 21

Has liked: 150 times
Been liked: 284 times
Grassroots Team: Christies Beach

Postby jo172 » Wed Mar 26, 2014 4:37 pm

Robb_Stark wrote:do you want me to name all the clubs last year who 2 or more teams in the same age bracket and while im at it do i put postcodes in as examples to see just where these kids are coming from to play at certain clubs in the northern areas.......these clubs only care for themselves and not the overall comp......this is the problem 65 clubs none give a shit about the other and all want whats best for that club at the expense of other clubs rather then work together to promote the game and make sure the players are spread around

Why should stronger clubs facilitate the passage of juniors to weaker clubs (within reason)?

By all means if they're carrying squads of 30+ and kids are missing out on a game that's poor form, but if they have the numbers to fill two (or more) sides in an age group why on earth should they shut the door on kids who want to play at their footy club?

There's a reason the strong clubs are strong and it's not through coincidence or junior poaching. It's because they have longstanding committees who work incredibly hard on the juniors and are filled with tremendous amounts of volunteers which lead to better facilities.

I suspect if for example Tea Tree Gully said thanks but we're not allowed more than one team to children the children's experiences at less well run clubs would be far inferior to those playing in a second squad at Tea Tree Gully.

While we're at it should we place a cap on the number of senior teams that should be allowed to be fielded by an individual club?
jo172
League - Top 5

PreviousNext

Board index   Football  Other Footy Leagues  Adelaide Footy League