Clubs in strife

Adelaide Footy League Talk

Re: Clubs in strife

Postby X Runna » Wed Mar 26, 2014 11:38 pm

You would never make it in real estate Cohiba. As an example, see if you can work through this.......15 to 20 years ago areas like Golden Grove, Redwood Park, Tea Tree Gully, Modbury & etc were DINKS. Heard of that? It means Double Income No Kids, with 90 odd % of the population being around their late 20's. Now in that age, most couples like to have great sex (excuse yourself if that is one of your letdowns) and as a result of humungous copulation, there is a chance LOTS of children are going to be conceived.

Close suburbs to those which are often very well established and more apt to the middle age group and onward DO NOT have the same opportunity to provide youngsters to the local club, nor do they have ex champions stacking their D Grade side as with some other tools.

God it's hard sometimes........
X Runna
Reserves

Has liked: 124 times
Been liked: 58 times
Grassroots Team: Ingle Farm

Postby Cohiba » Thu Mar 27, 2014 12:14 am

X Runna wrote:You would never make it in real estate Cohiba. As an example, see if you can work through this.......15 to 20 years ago areas like Golden Grove, Redwood Park, Tea Tree Gully, Modbury & etc were DINKS. Heard of that? It means Double Income No Kids, with 90 odd % of the population being around their late 20's. Now in that age, most couples like to have great sex (excuse yourself if that is one of your letdowns) and as a result of humungous copulation, there is a chance LOTS of children are going to be conceived.

Close suburbs to those which are often very well established and more apt to the middle age group and onward DO NOT have the same opportunity to provide youngsters to the local club, nor do they have ex champions stacking their D Grade side as with some other tools.

God it's hard sometimes........

Not sure why I'm getting a demographics lesson in relation to my point on how Clubs actually "takes" kids per Robb S.

Kids aren't "taken" by anyone.........They are not taken in the night nor do not have a gun held to their head. For whatever reasons some Clubs have more appeal and more to offer than others, some might not have the infrastructure or resources. So why should any be beholding to another when they are working just as hard to stay afloat. In my experience Kids usually choose to go to a Club and then have choices to either stay or leave a Club. That's my point

One yours.....maybe some of the DINKS should sell up and move into the less fertile areas and F&%k like rabbits before its too late and not make it a problem of football Clubs. For the record, I am definitely established in the middle age group and love to have great sex when I can get it.

But telling God it' too hard for you"..... perhaps you should leave missus Palmer alone. :)
Cohiba
Reserves

Has liked: 10 times
Been liked: 41 times

Postby turk186 » Thu Mar 27, 2014 4:09 am

I for one dont mind the idea of capping junior numbers at a club, this 'may' help other clubs and 'possibly' get a few more kids a regular kick and a catch. Greenies have lost our juniors this year due to a few 'influential' people taking their kids to 'stronger' clubs no closer to home mind you and then others follow because if such and such are leaving there must be a problem. Even calls to associations and individuals dont help as they claim it is not their problem.....if the trend continues we may well be left with a junior comp that features only 12 strong clubs and that is not good for footy in general.
Being in an area and surronded by clubs within a few kilometres is tough too as we have to go up against Ingle Farm, Pooraka, Para Hills, Gepps Cross, Gaza, Broadview, Mawson Lakes and just a little further away Hope Valley makes life difficult as parents often only want their kids at established stronger clubs despite the fact they drive past 1 or 2 smaller clubs that could really do with their support.

I also think it may be prudent for SAAFL to lobby the CFB and try to introduce a policy that allows only a maximum of say 2 players to be transfered to any club in any 1 season. This has the effect of stopping country clubs getting a 'car load of players' from 1 club which really hurts even the most powerful clubs and may also curb the 'mate syndrome' where a number of players decide to go elsewhere in a large group often leaving a massive void at the club they are leaving.

The views above are personal and do not reflect the official view of the Greenacres Football Club
Opinions and bumholes..you either have one or are one IMO
turk186
League Bench Warmer

Has liked: 0 time
Been liked: 24 times
Grassroots Team: Greenacres

Postby jo172 » Thu Mar 27, 2014 8:03 am

Footy Chick wrote:S Demon would have a better idea of exact numbers but over the past 2-3 years, the majority of our 18's have gone onto seniors, except the ones that went to SANFL. I understand we're probably the exception as opposed to the rule though.

Us too.

I can't think of any Under 18 who has played for a different SAAFL/Country club etc. unless they have moved out of metropolitan Adelaide.
jo172
League - Top 5

Has liked: 1198 times
Been liked: 724 times

Postby zedman » Thu Mar 27, 2014 8:28 am

scottroo wrote:
Yank Man wrote:
scottroo wrote:jesus, which 4 is thatyankman

Hahaha, nice, you should know you've had a crack at a couple. :D

news to me, I must not be in the know

yeah i would like to know who they are as well..

yankman you are to modest to say where and when the problems at MPFC started..imo it was the non appointment of yourself as coach after winning the premiership..the appointment of harrison was directly related to keeping him and others at the club only..wrong move..morally and strategically..
zedman
Coach

Has liked: 1079 times
Been liked: 387 times

Postby Footy Chick » Thu Mar 27, 2014 8:32 am

jo172 wrote:
Footy Chick wrote:S Demon would have a better idea of exact numbers but over the past 2-3 years, the majority of our 18's have gone onto seniors, except the ones that went to SANFL. I understand we're probably the exception as opposed to the rule though.

Us too.

I can't think of any Under 18 who has played for a different SAAFL/Country club etc. unless they have moved out of metropolitan Adelaide.

A few of our kids tend to swap between here and Gullies - mainly because of school mates.
Don't play games with a girl who can play 'em better...

Gatt_Weasel wrote:if they (Walkerville) dont win the flag ill run around the block of my street naked :) you can grab a chair and enjoy the view
Footy Chick

Has liked: 1738 times
Been liked: 2146 times

Postby jo172 » Thu Mar 27, 2014 9:05 am

Footy Chick wrote:
jo172 wrote:

Us too.

A few of our kids tend to swap between here and Gullies - mainly because of school mates.

Ours has actually been a resounding success in that way. We've even been able to hold on to a few whose natural path would have been to play for their Old Collegians side.
jo172
League - Top 5

Postby BurraBoys » Thu Mar 27, 2014 9:17 am

A few have floated the idea of capping junior numbers at clubs. I'm not a big fan of the idea. I can understand the principle and appreciate the merit.

I think what you will Find is that over time, with limited positions within their ranks, clubs with money will invest heavily into their junior programs, ensuing the highest quality coaches, facilities, environment etc. almost setting themselves up like development academies with a direct feeding line into SANFL and talented player pathways. Kids and parents will attracted by this and soon enough we have families scrambling over the chance to get their kids to an elite junior club, much like many do with top notch schools. I'm all for ensuring the best possible 'football education' and experience but it needs to be inclusive.

Honestly, I think it will head this way eventually anyway. The concept of highly structured junior ranks that is. But if we cap numbers, do we dishearten kinds by turning them away from a club if they are not good enough to make the grade as 12/13 year old?

For mine, clubs are 100% responsible for their own wellbeing and survival at all levels. I'm a jerk but I don't have a lot of sympathy of those doing it tough. I empathise with the challenges many face but Dig you heels in and find a way. Adapt. It takes good people to be involved but it's about building a strong culture and making it an attractive place to be. Ensure your plan for growth and success is sustainable. Get innovative and offer something the club down the road doesn't! I'm fortunate to be involved in a club that really has got it together but I still feel like there is plenty more we could do.

I've heard plenty in the business and entertainment world say overnight success often takes 5-10years. Apply that to how you build your club
Wise man say forgivness is divine but never pay full price for late pizza
BurraBoys
Reserves

Has liked: 8 times
Been liked: 23 times
Grassroots Team: Golden Grove

Postby Haynzy » Thu Mar 27, 2014 9:18 am

Footy Chick wrote:
jo172 wrote:

Us too.

Yeah there has always been a healthy transition between the North Eastern Clubs.

There are guys that I played against in Juniors that shifted to Gullies for Seniors. Classic example is the new D Grade coach out there at Valleys is ex Gullies and brought a couple ex gullies over with him, but it all evens out in the long run and all teams seem to be stronger because of it.
Haynzy
Rookie

Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 6 times
Grassroots Team: Tea Tree Gully

Postby jo172 » Thu Mar 27, 2014 9:24 am

BurraBoys wrote:A few have floated the idea of capping junior numbers at clubs. I'm not a big fan of the idea. I can understand the principle and appreciate the merit.

I think what you will Find is that over time, with limited positions within their ranks, clubs with money will invest heavily into their junior programs, ensuing the highest quality coaches, facilities, environment etc. almost setting themselves up like development academies with a direct feeding line into SANFL and talented player pathways. Kids and parents will attracted by this and soon enough we have families scrambling over the chance to get their kids to an elite junior club, much like many do with top notch schools. I'm all for ensuring the best possible 'football education' and experience but it needs to be inclusive.

Honestly, I think it will head this way eventually anyway. The concept of highly structured junior ranks that is. But if we cap numbers, do we dishearten kinds by turning them away from a club if they are not good enough to make the grade as 12/13 year old?

For mine, clubs are 100% responsible for their own wellbeing and survival at all levels. I'm a jerk but I don't have a lot of sympathy of those doing it tough. I empathise with the challenges many face but Dig you heels in and find a way. Adapt. It takes good people to be involved but it's about building a strong culture and making it an attractive place to be. Ensure your plan for growth and success is sustainable. Get innovative and offer something the club down the road doesn't! I'm fortunate to be involved in a club that really has got it together but I still feel like there is plenty more we could do.

I've heard plenty in the business and entertainment world say overnight success often takes 5-10years. Apply that to how you build your club

Couldn't agree more.

My club also made the decision this year that we're philosophically against shutting our door and telling people that they're not good enough to play with us. We have an open door policy in that we will accept as many numbers as we can logistically handle as we do not wish to turn people away out of a sense of 'elitism'.

I for one don't want junior (or senior) footy turned into a sport like soccer or basketball where kids are forced to go through heart wrenching 'trials' in order to be able to see whether they're good enough to play at the same club as their mates.
jo172
League - Top 5

Postby marbles » Thu Mar 27, 2014 9:28 am

bring in 'trade week'
marbles
Assistant Coach

Has liked: 276 times
Been liked: 259 times

Postby Cohiba » Thu Mar 27, 2014 10:22 am

BurraBoys wrote:A few have floated the idea of capping junior numbers at clubs. I'm not a big fan of the idea. I can understand the principle and appreciate the merit.

I agree and much of what you say I think would be the viewpoint of many of the Clubs....
Cohiba
Reserves

Has liked: 10 times
Been liked: 41 times

Postby Jetters » Thu Mar 27, 2014 12:32 pm

Is there no restriction on the amount of juniors a club can have per age group in North East Metro?

There is a limit of 1 team per grade in both Metro South and West with a capped squad number. 26-32 depending on age group. There is also no trialing.
Jetters
Reserves

Has liked: 106 times
Been liked: 119 times
Grassroots Team: Unley

Postby Boosh » Thu Mar 27, 2014 1:52 pm

Robb_Stark wrote:probably 3-4 things that stand out

1.seems lot more people are quitting the game due to age/work/family
2.most Junior clubs have had a drop in numbers overall (yes we all know about the super clubs they are not effected)
3.clubs are a stone throw away from each other around the north that i know of so we all after the same people
4.parents dont want there kids playing football as they think it is to rough

its a big issue the power house clubs dont help the situation one bit trying to take every single kid to there club and stuff the rest......i personally can see in the future north clubs will either fold or merge as the numbers drop of while we all love our club lot are just so near each other that it creates huge problems

Have just started reading this thread and this is the best comment so far, it seems that big clubs take over the junior leagues change the rules to suit themselves but ultimately hurt the sport by removing competition. The AFL who insist on controlling all leagues but do absolutely nothing for the sport below professional levels and sit by while the grass roots will slowly die.
I have a problem. It's to do with the little man, the squashed-in French man, the naked little squashed up hairy boy! You know! With the hand feet
*I apologise to Hope Valley people in advance, no offence intended
Boosh
League Bench Warmer

Has liked: 256 times
Been liked: 192 times
Grassroots Team: North Haven

Postby Boosh » Thu Mar 27, 2014 2:06 pm

X Runna wrote:
Robb_Stark wrote:probably 3-4 things that stand out

1.seems lot more people are quitting the game due to age/work/family
2.most Junior clubs have had a drop in numbers overall (yes we all know about the super clubs they are not effected)
3.clubs are a stone throw away from each other around the north that i know of so we all after the same people
4.parents dont want there kids playing football as they think it is to rough

its a big issue the power house clubs dont help the situation one bit trying to take every single kid to there club and stuff the rest......i personally can see in the future north clubs will either fold or merge as the numbers drop of while we all love our club lot are just so near each other that it creates huge problems

Your points are very valid. I know of several kids who have given it away over the years purely because they weren't able to get a regular game and Mum & Dad didn't like it so pulled them out. Maybe time for the junior associations to set a limit on the number of kids clubs can have in their respective age groups so they do head off to another club for a game.

The WDJFL firstly changed the hugely successful format of Auskick U9 U11 U13 U15 to Auskick U8 U9 U10 U11 U12 U13 U14 U16 on the instruction of the biggest clubs in the league so the basically could harvest more players.
When this caused the very obvious fixture, timing and oval availability issues, the big clubs suggested a solution to go back to two year age group gaps but what would we they do with all these poor players they harvested up that won't fit back into the old system?

Well they had a great solution, make each grade have two divisions so they could field a team in each thus securing all the players they can grab and to ensure they had removed any competition from the surrounding clubs.

It sounds fantastic but what happens when the only clubs left are Henley and Port District, who will they play? Who would be interested in such a competition? And who will replace all the disenfranchised kids that will go play other sports?

The worst part of all of this is that clubs like Portland North Haven Rosewater etc not only sat back and let this happen but encouraged it.

If I had a hand in this I wouldn't sleep well at night.
I have a problem. It's to do with the little man, the squashed-in French man, the naked little squashed up hairy boy! You know! With the hand feet
*I apologise to Hope Valley people in advance, no offence intended
Boosh
League Bench Warmer

Has liked: 256 times
Been liked: 192 times
Grassroots Team: North Haven

Postby marbles » Thu Mar 27, 2014 2:07 pm

it is absolutely ridiculous that clubs can have more than 2 teams in one age group

i dont care how many rabbits were breeding 15 years ago in particular suburbs

the concept of having 4 or 5 under 14 teams at one club is a joke

"oh we dont try to beat the opposition, we just recruit them, and now hence we have no opposition, oh no it not our fault though"

what a stupid sight it would be be seeing 15-20 junior teams all running around 1 oval at training night. take a photo of the vision and title it 'GREED"
marbles
Assistant Coach

Has liked: 276 times
Been liked: 259 times

Postby jo172 » Thu Mar 27, 2014 2:13 pm

marbles wrote:it is absolutely ridiculous that clubs can have more than 2 teams in one age group

i dont care how many rabbits were breeding 15 years ago in particular suburbs

the concept of having 4 or 5 under 14 teams at one club is a joke

I can't say I've heard of more than 2 teams being played in premiership grades (U11 and above) from a particular club. It's not uncommon to see clubs fielding 4 X sides in under 8s, 9s and 10s though as these sides generally involve/require less players than older sides, are more easily manageable (do not involve the whole length of the ground) and the players generally aren't involved in School Footy/SANFL footy/other sports at that age.

Also, your idea of "greed" is fundamentally wrong.

The Big Clubs which are being demonized on here aren't being greedy per se. Never do we field a side thinking haha, another Kilburn local signed up to play in our all conquering under 9s! We're just glad we've given another kid who wants to play footy with us a chance to play footy. Who are we to say to him or his parents that no, you're not welcome at our club.

I wouldn't want to be at a club with that kind of philosophy.
jo172
League - Top 5

Postby Mr Beefy » Thu Mar 27, 2014 2:19 pm

Is it greedy for a "big" club to actively recruit the betters players from a "smaller" club?
Mr Beefy
Coach

Has liked: 406 times
Been liked: 651 times
Grassroots Team: Rosewater

Postby Footy Chick » Thu Mar 27, 2014 2:27 pm

How did this turn into a juniors recruiting thread? *sigh*
Don't play games with a girl who can play 'em better...

Gatt_Weasel wrote:if they (Walkerville) dont win the flag ill run around the block of my street naked :) you can grab a chair and enjoy the view
Footy Chick

Has liked: 1738 times
Been liked: 2146 times

Postby Dogwatcher » Thu Mar 27, 2014 2:28 pm

Because that's the foundation of most clubs.
You're my only friend, and you don't even like me.
Dogwatcher
Coach

Has liked: 1425 times
Been liked: 1152 times
Grassroots Team: Elizabeth

PreviousNext

Board index   Football  Other Footy Leagues  Adelaide Footy League