Clubs in strife

Adelaide Footy League Talk

Re: Clubs in strife

Postby marbles » Fri Mar 28, 2014 9:28 am

over the past 5 to 10 years has there been struggling clubs who hit rock bottom were on a knife edge and managed to find their feet and now are in in full flight??? or have most once they get to this point generally dissipate? who can list them
marbles
Assistant Coach

Has liked: 276 times
Been liked: 259 times

Postby Fricky » Fri Mar 28, 2014 9:32 am

Phantom Gossiper wrote:After long consideration i've decided - stuff the struggling clubs..
If clubs fall over - as sad as it would be - it just means the other clubs in the area should in theory become stronger. Stronger clubs make for a stronger competition and easier to attract new people to play.

Or get rid of the 'C divisions and go back to having D9 and D10 north/south :P

I tend to agree with this, just hope that it never happens to your own club.

Clubs have amalgamated in the past which have created stronger clubs - Portland, Port Districts, Goodwood have all come from amalgamations and although it would have been an emotional and difficult process they are better off now. Wouldn't it be better to have a club like Pt Districts who still celebrate the history of your old club, Semaphore Central or Exeter, than have no club at all?

I think some clubs will be able to bounce back and become strong again, but perhaps other struggling clubs need to look strongly at amalgamating.
Fricky
League - Best 21

Has liked: 94 times
Been liked: 120 times
Grassroots Team: Walkerville

Postby jo172 » Fri Mar 28, 2014 9:33 am

marbles wrote:over the past 5 to 10 years has there been struggling clubs who hit rock bottom were on a knife edge and managed to find their feet and now are in in full flight??? or have most once they get to this point generally dissipate? who can list them

Smithfield was on the brink after the initial walkout to Angle Vale.

2009 was supposed to be North Pines last year (from memory)

From memory West Croydon may have also teetered on the edge for a while?

These clubs are more likely the exception than the rule though.
jo172
League - Top 5

Has liked: 1199 times
Been liked: 725 times

Postby jo172 » Fri Mar 28, 2014 9:34 am

Suri wrote:
Phantom Gossiper wrote:After long consideration i've decided - stuff the struggling clubs..
If clubs fall over - as sad as it would be - it just means the other clubs in the area should in theory become stronger. Stronger clubs make for a stronger competition and easier to attract new people to play.

Clubs have amalgamated in the past which have created stronger clubs - Portland, Port Districts, Goodwood have all come from amalgamations and although it would have been an emotional and difficult process they are better off now. Wouldn't it be better to have a club like Pt Districts who still celebrate the history of your old club, Semaphore Central or Exeter, than have no club at all?

I think some clubs will be able to bounce back and become strong again, but perhaps other struggling clubs need to look strongly at amalgamating.

In Div 1 and 2 alone Goodwood, Henley, Port Districts, Portland, PHOS Camden, PNU and SMOSH West Lakes have all been products of mergers and amalgamations in living memory. Take out the Old Scholars sides and I suspect it would be the majority of clubs in the upper divisions?

Also, intriguingly, there doesn't seem to be a merged club (Unley/Mercedes isn't a merger) below Div 2. Is it possible there's something in this?
jo172
League - Top 5

Postby Fricky » Fri Mar 28, 2014 9:50 am

jo172 wrote:
Suri wrote:

In Div 1 and 2 alone Goodwood, Henley, Port Districts, Portland, PHOS Camden, PNU and SMOSH West Lakes have all been products of mergers and amalgamations in living memory. Take out the Old Scholars sides and I suspect it would be the majority of clubs in the upper divisions?

Also, intriguingly, there doesn't seem to be a merged club (Unley/Mercedes isn't a merger) below Div 2. Is it possible there's something in this?

As PG said, you would think merging with another club will most likely make you stronger as it boosts you player numbers and recruitment avenues. Something for a few clubs can think about.
Fricky
League - Best 21

Has liked: 94 times
Been liked: 120 times
Grassroots Team: Walkerville

Postby Mr Beefy » Fri Mar 28, 2014 10:11 am

jo172 wrote:
Suri wrote:

Wingfield & Fitzroy,
Mr Beefy
Coach

Has liked: 406 times
Been liked: 651 times
Grassroots Team: Rosewater

Postby FOURTH ESTATE » Fri Mar 28, 2014 10:15 am

Gaza
Tea Tree Gully
Salisbury North
Walkerville
Broadview
Flinders Park
Gepps Cross

All in D1 & D2, stand alone clubs that never merged

6 Old Scholar Clubs in those grades and 7 mergered or amalgamated as well

As stand alones we do all right
2017, 2019 & 2020 PREMIERS
RICHMOND, RICHMOND, RICHMOND.

Let that be a lesson to you Sturt. You don't beat Glenelg 3 times in a row in Grand Finals and get away with it.
FOURTH ESTATE
Veteran

Has liked: 4 times
Been liked: 128 times
Grassroots Team: Broadview

Postby jo172 » Fri Mar 28, 2014 10:19 am

FOURTH ESTATE wrote:Gaza
Tea Tree Gully
Salisbury North
Walkerville
Broadview
Flinders Park
Gepps Cross

All in D1 & D2, stand alone clubs that never merged

6 Old Scholar Clubs in those grades and 7 mergered or amalgamated as well

As stand alones we do all right

There's a particular level of paranoia to interpret my post as intending to mean that merger was a necessary ingredient of success.

I was noting correlation, not causation.
jo172
League - Top 5

Postby Cohiba » Fri Mar 28, 2014 10:20 am

Suri wrote:
jo172 wrote:
Suri wrote:

As PG said, you would think merging with another club will most likely make you stronger as it boosts you player numbers and recruitment avenues. Something for a few clubs can think about.

Agree. The fact those aforementioned merged Clubs by and large have successful Junior Programs strengthens the argument that to survive as a Club .....mergers are a viable lifeline and are a reality. For some it was a case of merge or die.
Cohiba
Reserves

Has liked: 10 times
Been liked: 41 times

Postby marbles » Fri Mar 28, 2014 10:28 am

so there is hope for mitchell park, angle vale, flinders uni to survive? or unless they inject some revenue into some cattle, are their days inevitably numbered?

also i think its crap that a powerhouse club like flinders park get to just randomly drop their cgrade, they should be made to fight it out and endure the sludge at the bottom of the ladder.

kilburn too, they dug the hole their in, make em stay in div 3 and a bye in reserves. no matter what happens theyre set for relegation to div 4 next year and if they cant keep the club alive by summer 2015, withdraw the affiliation totally and bring 3 clubs up to div 4 next year
marbles
Assistant Coach

Postby Haynzy » Fri Mar 28, 2014 11:24 am

marbles wrote:so there is hope for mitchell park, angle vale, flinders uni to survive? or unless they inject some revenue into some cattle, are their days inevitably numbered?

also i think its crap that a powerhouse club like flinders park get to just randomly drop their cgrade, they should be made to fight it out and endure the sludge at the bottom of the ladder.

kilburn too, they dug the hole their in, make em stay in div 3 and a bye in reserves. no matter what happens theyre set for relegation to div 4 next year and if they cant keep the club alive by summer 2015, withdraw the affiliation totally and bring 3 clubs up to div 4 next year

Would you be making those same comments if it was Henley that was struggling? Kilburn staying in Div 3 and getting smashed every week may just be the final nail in the coffin that sees a good club never fully recover.

Mass exodus of players can happen to any club and by giving them flexibility now, means that when it's your clubs turn to struggle they will get the same benefit...
Haynzy
Rookie

Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 6 times
Grassroots Team: Tea Tree Gully

Postby zedman » Fri Mar 28, 2014 11:28 am

marbles wrote:so there is hope for mitchell park, angle vale, flinders uni to survive? or unless they inject some revenue into some cattle, are their days inevitably numbered?

for once i agree with you marbles..i cant believe their balls in asking for it tbh..oh no..you might play a season where you dont play in the finals..heres a tissue..
zedman
Coach

Has liked: 1079 times
Been liked: 387 times

Postby marbles » Fri Mar 28, 2014 12:49 pm

does a 7 team comp play each other 3 times across 18 rounds?
marbles
Assistant Coach

Postby Look Good In Leather » Fri Mar 28, 2014 1:19 pm

Cohiba wrote:
Suri wrote:
jo172 wrote:
Suri wrote:I tend to agree with this, just hope that it never happens to your own club.

Agree. The fact those aforementioned merged Clubs by and large have successful Junior Programs strengthens the argument that to survive as a Club .....mergers are a viable lifeline and are a reality. For some it was a case of merge or die.

For some it's a case of merge and still die
Campbelltown-Magill
Burnside-Kensington
TransAdelaide Tigers
University of South Australia
Look Good In Leather
League - Best 21

Has liked: 150 times
Been liked: 284 times
Grassroots Team: Christies Beach

Postby woodublieve12 » Fri Mar 28, 2014 1:48 pm

Robb_Stark wrote:Mawson Lakes and Pooraka have the same postcode the league should have made them merge ...........regardless of what club you are how much cash you got some of these clubs are just to near eachother and should be forced to merge

Greenacres and gepps cross
Pooraka and mawson lakes
smithfield and elizabeth
north pines and salisbury west

these are just a few i can think of and while people will get there knickers in a knot the future of the game is more important then any of your clubs

this may the most ridiculous thing i have ever read... "Hey phos/edwarstown/morphies/kenilworth wanna merge with us, we aren't struggling for players and we have done ok the last couple of years, but why not?"....
the history of my club is far to important to throw away because of some clubs struggling.
Please...
"Fellas, it’s OK to be in pain. It’s OK to hurt. It’s OK to be sad. It’s no longer OK to suffer in silence."
woodublieve12
Coach

Has liked: 3026 times
Been liked: 2401 times

Postby HardenUp » Fri Mar 28, 2014 1:55 pm

jo172 wrote:
Suri wrote:

Didn't Kenilworth merge with another team back in the day?
Edwardstown, I know aren't in SAAFL anymore, merged with another team to obtain entry back into the SAAFL - stayed below Div 2 until joining SFL
HardenUp

Has liked: 0 time
Been liked: 0 time

Postby bandar » Fri Mar 28, 2014 1:58 pm

woodublieve12 wrote:
Robb_Stark wrote:Mawson Lakes and Pooraka have the same postcode the league should have made them merge ...........regardless of what club you are how much cash you got some of these clubs are just to near eachother and should be forced to merge

Greenacres and gepps cross
Pooraka and mawson lakes
smithfield and elizabeth
north pines and salisbury west

these are just a few i can think of and while people will get there knickers in a knot the future of the game is more important then any of your clubs

this may the most ridiculous thing i have ever read... "Hey phos/edwarstown/morphies/kenilworth wanna merge with us, we aren't struggling for players and we have done ok the last couple of years, but why not?"....
the history of my club is far to important to throw away because of some clubs struggling.
Please...

Good point WUB my experience of Plympton is that they are not a DIV 5 or 4 and maybe after this year 3 club. They had some bad times and have worked hard made some good decisions and are on the up. Just because clubs are close doesn't mean they can't co-exist. Of course if all the younger families move out the area all bets might be off ;) .
bandar
League Bench Warmer

Been liked: 27 times
Grassroots Team: PHOS Camden

Postby Arch44 » Fri Mar 28, 2014 1:59 pm

jo172 wrote:
marbles wrote:over the past 5 to 10 years has there been struggling clubs who hit rock bottom were on a knife edge and managed to find their feet and now are in in full flight??? or have most once they get to this point generally dissipate? who can list them

Smithfield was on the brink after the initial walkout to Angle Vale.

2009 was supposed to be North Pines last year (from memory)

From memory West Croydon may have also teetered on the edge for a while?

These clubs are more likely the exception than the rule though.

Yes West Croydon were down to 1 side for a year or 2 and waited on a group of U/17s coming through back then who are now playing Agrade footy together still at West Croydon.
Hogg Shield Div IV 2018 Winner
Arch44
League - Top 5

Has liked: 717 times
Been liked: 272 times

Postby bandar » Fri Mar 28, 2014 2:02 pm

HardenUp wrote:
jo172 wrote:
Suri wrote:

Edwardstown, I know aren't in SAAFL anymore, merged with another team to obtain entry back into the SAAFL - stayed below Div 2 until joining SFL

Kenilworth and CLG were together for a time then demerged and I don't think it's affected either of them. Henley came in the back door with the Greeks Townies came to SAAFL in the SAFA shuffle and were the only SAFA club to nominate to P1 at the time.
bandar
League Bench Warmer

Been liked: 27 times
Grassroots Team: PHOS Camden

Postby Yank Man » Fri Mar 28, 2014 2:05 pm

HardenUp wrote:
jo172 wrote:
Suri wrote:

Edwardstown have been Edwarstown since 1919 and have never merged. They joined SAAFL after the demise of SAFA and have never been BELOW Div 2.
Yank Man
League - Top 5

Has liked: 57 times
Been liked: 317 times
Grassroots Team: Edwardstown

PreviousNext

Board index   Football  Other Footy Leagues  Adelaide Footy League