Clubs in strife

Adelaide Footy League Talk

Re: Clubs in strife

Postby Dogwatcher » Fri Mar 28, 2014 3:55 pm

Robb_Stark wrote: clearly you know nothing of the north

Robb Stark channeling Ygritte.
You're my only friend, and you don't even like me.
Dogwatcher
Coach

Has liked: 1425 times
Been liked: 1152 times
Grassroots Team: Elizabeth

Postby zedman » Fri Mar 28, 2014 4:01 pm

Yank Man wrote:
zedman wrote:
Yank Man wrote:The Goody Sts one is interesting. I was on the steering committee at Edwarstown in the early mid 90's where both clubs were pushing to join forces. Towns were a power club in SAFA and Goody's were struggling big time. The clubs couldn't reach terms and the Saints decided to go back and put their noses over the grindstone and work harder at it. Bet they are super happy with that decision now aye? Or they could be in SFL. :)

think you may have had a few shandies this afternoon yankman..

"The Goodwood Saints Football Club was established in 1985 with the amalgamation of Goodwood Football Club and St. Raphaels Football Club."

they never looked to join EFC in the mid 90s that i know of..they were already in A1 in 1991 and were not struggling at all..i would know because i played in the 1990 premiership! that flag put them in A1 and they have never looked back..do you really think after finishing 8th once they would panic and want to merge with EFC? maybe you meant back in the 80s not 90s?

"The club finished in 3rd position in 1991 and 1992, 5th in 1993 but slipped to 8th position in 1994. With the arrival in 1995 of coach Brenton Honor the club firmly set its sights on the A1 premiership. Following disappointments in both 1995 (6th) and 1996 (4th) Honor extracted the maximum from his squad in 1997 and the Saints came away with the ultimate, the A1 premiership."

No, no shandies, lol. Edwardstown pushed for it because SAFA was about to tip over and it was an option for them to get in to SAAFL until the league decided to enter the SAFA teams under the 'Premier League' tag. Towns were given the Div 1 option when Athelstone knocked it back and went on to play in the GF against Adel Uni. 1995 if I remember. I was on the EFC board for 10 years and yes Saints even though short of troops back then made some really good choices after that. ;)

EFC pushing for it to get in at a high level i can believe but i dont think the saints would have been looking to join anyone as they had no reason to..they won a flag in 1993 with a D grade..there were plenty of players around..they also had a great connection with the SAFC at the time..
zedman
Coach

Has liked: 1079 times
Been liked: 387 times

Postby Q. » Fri Mar 28, 2014 4:27 pm

Robb_Stark wrote:
Q. wrote:So basically, there is no right answer...

its pretty safe to say that young adults these days drink far less and less smoke these were key revenues for a club back in the day even poker machines the young dont play them as much around our area more the older people these days you need to change your approach even in our A grade team we have 1 player that smokes back in the 90s up until 2010 we probably had 4-5 in each grade

teams like blakeview came and went they tryed to make a team happen cross the road from elizabeth

Pag wrote:Unfortunately, numbers in the northern suburbs have dropped off in the last 10 years due to kids being more interested in sitting in the local fast-food carparks smoking cones than playing football, at least at Under 16/18 level. I kid you not, you will find more adolescent males at Salisbury/Elizabeth/Munno Para Maccas on a Sunday afternoon than you would playing footy in the area.

I get the feeling not as much of this happens down Payneham/Walkerville/Broadview way... :weedman:

Young adults seem less willing to be involved in structured activities that require a small level of accountability and responsibility, despite the positive personal and social benefits that come with it. The short-sighted view seems to be winning out.
Q.
Coach

Has liked: 970 times
Been liked: 2396 times
Grassroots Team: Houghton Districts

Postby woodublieve12 » Fri Mar 28, 2014 5:09 pm

Robb_Stark wrote:
woodublieve12 wrote:
Robb_Stark wrote:Mawson Lakes and Pooraka have the same postcode the league should have made them merge ...........regardless of what club you are how much cash you got some of these clubs are just to near eachother and should be forced to merge

Greenacres and gepps cross
Pooraka and mawson lakes
smithfield and elizabeth
north pines and salisbury west

these are just a few i can think of and while people will get there knickers in a knot the future of the game is more important then any of your clubs

this may the most ridiculous thing i have ever read... "Hey phos/edwarstown/morphies/kenilworth wanna merge with us, we aren't struggling for players and we have done ok the last couple of years, but why not?"....
the history of my club is far to important to throw away because of some clubs struggling.
Please...

the history of the club is so much more important then the game ......do you even do your research before you post i mentioned all north teams cause we all with in a stones throw of each other i can drive for 5-15 minutes and get to 6 other clubs i go an extra 5 minutes on that another 3 clubs clearly you know nothing of the north

Woodville and West Torrens merged they still have the history of both clubs
and if pooraka had to merge with mawson lakes to survive then so be it the history still follows where ever pooraka goes

Yes my football clubs history is!!!! We have 3 football clubs not even a ten minute drive away!! Just a touch further Marion footy club and Brighton are the next closest... I can tell you 100% of our member would agree with me..
Why merge when you don't have too!!! I'd rather struggle for a few years and rebuild then merge.
"Fellas, it’s OK to be in pain. It’s OK to hurt. It’s OK to be sad. It’s no longer OK to suffer in silence."
woodublieve12
Coach

Has liked: 3025 times
Been liked: 2401 times

Postby Look Good In Leather » Fri Mar 28, 2014 5:20 pm

Robb_Stark wrote:
woodublieve12 wrote:
Robb_Stark wrote:Mawson Lakes and Pooraka have the same postcode the league should have made them merge ...........regardless of what club you are how much cash you got some of these clubs are just to near eachother and should be forced to merge

Greenacres and gepps cross
Pooraka and mawson lakes
smithfield and elizabeth
north pines and salisbury west

these are just a few i can think of and while people will get there knickers in a knot the future of the game is more important then any of your clubs

this may the most ridiculous thing i have ever read... "Hey phos/edwarstown/morphies/kenilworth wanna merge with us, we aren't struggling for players and we have done ok the last couple of years, but why not?"....
the history of my club is far to important to throw away because of some clubs struggling.
Please...

the history of the club is so much more important then the game ......do you even do your research before you post i mentioned all north teams cause we all with in a stones throw of each other i can drive for 5-15 minutes and get to 6 other clubs i go an extra 5 minutes on that another 3 clubs clearly you know nothing of the north

Woodville and West Torrens merged they still have the history of both clubs
and if pooraka had to merge with mawson lakes to survive then so be it the history still follows where ever pooraka goes

Brompton say Hi!
Torrensville United say Hi!
Magill Royal say Hi!
Kensington Gardens say Hi!
Clarendon say Hi!
Woodville Royal say Hi!
Greek say Hi!
Stirling say Hi!
Riverside say Hi!
Semaphore Park say Hi!
Look Good In Leather
League - Best 21

Has liked: 150 times
Been liked: 284 times
Grassroots Team: Christies Beach

Postby old fullback » Fri Mar 28, 2014 6:28 pm

Pooraka and Mawson Lakes too near each other? wouldn't have happened if St Pauls stayed at home and not moved to Mawsons, isn't Para Hills closer than Pooraka..
old fullback
Under 18s

Has liked: 127 times
Been liked: 18 times
Grassroots Team: Ingle Farm

Postby FOURTH ESTATE » Fri Mar 28, 2014 8:18 pm

1996 was the year of P1
Edwardstown by the 2nd semi by plenty from memory but was smashed in the G.F. by Uni which was their last A Grade Premiership
2017, 2019 & 2020 PREMIERS
RICHMOND, RICHMOND, RICHMOND.

Let that be a lesson to you Sturt. You don't beat Glenelg 3 times in a row in Grand Finals and get away with it.
FOURTH ESTATE
Veteran

Has liked: 4 times
Been liked: 128 times
Grassroots Team: Broadview

Postby gadj1976 » Fri Mar 28, 2014 8:47 pm

FOURTH ESTATE wrote:1996 was the year of P1
Edwardstown by the 2nd semi by plenty from memory but was smashed in the G.F. by Uni which was their last A Grade Premiership

We went up to P3 after clearing 39 of our best players that year. Got smashed. I don't know how financial the club was at that point, but we had the feeling that we could've folded any time soon. We went from 3 very competitive teams to 2 very uncompetitive teams, with guys backing up from the B's into the A's most weeks.

It was only our coach and some stoic players that held the club together. 97, we went down a grade after not even getting close to winning a game and made the GF.

For clubs in strife, it seems these days that players tend to desert clubs. Nothing I say or do will change that, it's club culture that keeps players playing for the club, whether they're paid or not.
gadj1976
Coach

Has liked: 796 times
Been liked: 850 times

Postby The Rooster » Fri Mar 28, 2014 9:31 pm

old fullback wrote:Pooraka and Mawson Lakes too near each other? wouldn't have happened if St Pauls stayed at home and not moved to Mawsons, isn't Para Hills closer than Pooraka..

Correct, How does it happen that a football club can start across the road, absorbing a Old Scholars side?

I know the theme of this thread and although i'd admit there are teams in real strife, but if we at Pooraka are honest we'd have to admit that St Pauls were still at St Pauls and Mawson Lakes wasn't manufactured then there would be potentially more players/supporters/patrons/juniors at our club and we might not be doing it as tough!
Sorry people I only deal in facts!
The Rooster
Under 18s

Has liked: 0 time
Been liked: 10 times
Grassroots Team: St Paul's College OS

Postby carey » Fri Mar 28, 2014 9:36 pm

I wish this thread got closed.
you've gota keep on keep'n on .........
carey
Coach

Has liked: 2809 times
Been liked: 2997 times
Grassroots Team: Paralowie

Postby Footy Chick » Fri Mar 28, 2014 9:58 pm

The Rooster wrote:
old fullback wrote:Pooraka and Mawson Lakes too near each other? wouldn't have happened if St Pauls stayed at home and not moved to Mawsons, isn't Para Hills closer than Pooraka..

Correct, How does it happen that a football club can start across the road, absorbing a Old Scholars side?

I know the theme of this thread and although i'd admit there are teams in real strife, but if we at Pooraka are honest we'd have to admit that St Pauls were still at St Pauls and Mawson Lakes wasn't manufactured then there would be potentially more players/supporters/patrons/juniors at our club and we might not be doing it as tough!

They didn't start, they relocate from the school, to a new area and with a new name, trading as SPOSFC (which still appears on the back of their jumpers I think)

A bit like Western Bulldogs ;)

edit- wrong way round.. I don't think they trade as but they choose to recognise the school by having it on the back of the jumper? cue riddler!
Don't play games with a girl who can play 'em better...

Gatt_Weasel wrote:if they (Walkerville) dont win the flag ill run around the block of my street naked :) you can grab a chair and enjoy the view
Footy Chick

Has liked: 1738 times
Been liked: 2146 times

Postby The Rooster » Fri Mar 28, 2014 10:49 pm

Why Correct me??
:roll: :roll:
They weren't around before!! there was no Mawson Lakes football club!! St Pauls old scholars may have started them off but they are at Mawson Lakes called Mawson Lakes Fc!!

They didn't start, they moved to a new location with a new name...????? WTF???
The Rooster
Under 18s

Postby Fricky » Fri Mar 28, 2014 10:53 pm

Pretty sure Uni won it in 1999 too
Fricky
League - Best 21

Has liked: 94 times
Been liked: 120 times
Grassroots Team: Walkerville

Postby Look Good In Leather » Fri Mar 28, 2014 11:21 pm

The Rooster wrote:Why Correct me??
They weren't around before!! there was no Mawson Lakes football club!! St Pauls old scholars may have started them off but they are at Mawson Lakes called Mawson Lakes Fc!!

According to the SAAFL "St Pauls OS renamed Mawson Lakes"

They are the same club, no different to Abattoirs changing to Pooraka, Unley changing to Unley Mercedes or University changing to Adelaide University
Look Good In Leather
League - Best 21

Has liked: 150 times
Been liked: 284 times
Grassroots Team: Christies Beach

Postby Footy Chick » Fri Mar 28, 2014 11:26 pm

cos your wrong...that's why!

if a person changes their name and moves house...does it mean they're a new person? apparently by your logic..
Don't play games with a girl who can play 'em better...

Gatt_Weasel wrote:if they (Walkerville) dont win the flag ill run around the block of my street naked :) you can grab a chair and enjoy the view
Footy Chick

Has liked: 1738 times
Been liked: 2146 times

Postby LaughingKookaburra » Fri Mar 28, 2014 11:46 pm

Clubs should merge if they are in the same postcode? Ridiculous.

Good luck to merging Happy Valley with Flagstaff Hill just to name one....

Probably 2 of South Australias most succesful Junior Programs too....
Can you bring a man to his feet when defeat is on repeat?
LaughingKookaburra
Coach

Has liked: 73 times
Been liked: 741 times
Grassroots Team: Kenilworth

Postby finn » Sat Mar 29, 2014 2:12 pm

Pag wrote:Unfortunately, numbers in the northern suburbs have dropped off in the last 10 years due to kids being more interested in sitting in the local fast-food carparks smoking cones than playing football, at least at Under 16/18 level. I kid you not, you will find more adolescent males at Salisbury/Elizabeth/Munno Para Maccas on a Sunday afternoon than you would playing footy in the area.

I get the feeling not as much of this happens down Payneham/Walkerville/Broadview way... :weedman:

Certainly when I played juniors at Payneham, we preferred to smoke cones after playing...
always forgive your enemies...nothing annoys them so much
finn
League - Best 21

Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 22 times
Grassroots Team: Adelaide University

Postby FOURTH ESTATE » Sat Mar 29, 2014 10:11 pm

Suri wrote:

Pretty sure Uni won it in 1999 too

I stand corrected how could I forget I was there in the rain for the night game GF. Goodwood blew it when one of their players rushed a point late in time on to put Uni in front. We cacked ourselves when he did it
2017, 2019 & 2020 PREMIERS
RICHMOND, RICHMOND, RICHMOND.

Let that be a lesson to you Sturt. You don't beat Glenelg 3 times in a row in Grand Finals and get away with it.
FOURTH ESTATE
Veteran

Has liked: 4 times
Been liked: 128 times
Grassroots Team: Broadview

Postby The Rooster » Sun Mar 30, 2014 11:49 pm

Footy Chick wrote:

cos your wrong...that's why!

if a person changes their name and moves house...does it mean they're a new person? apparently by your logic..

Are you for real??

Is it common for football clubs to move location?? Probably not because most clubs are based within a suburb, so Old scholars can just "move" across the road from existing clubs and call themselves something different that is the truth of it!!

My point is that this has happened right within our recruiting area and our depth is suffering as a result.
Perhaps instead of trolling people and trying to act like some unofficial expert on all things in local football focus on the actual point and how it relates to your original topic, after all it was you who raised this discussion.
The Rooster
Under 18s

Postby Dogwatcher » Mon Mar 31, 2014 7:42 am

Admittedly, St Paul's was 5.5k away when it was based at the school, compared to 1.9 now, but it is safe to say the club was already in Pooraka's recruiting zone before the move. You'd be looking at a 10 kay recruiting arc, generally. So is it much different?

And, plenty of clubs have moved locations over the years, including Pooraka IIRC. It just doesn't happen that often.
Last edited by Dogwatcher on Mon Mar 31, 2014 9:20 am, edited 1 time in total.
You're my only friend, and you don't even like me.
Dogwatcher
Coach

Has liked: 1425 times
Been liked: 1152 times
Grassroots Team: Elizabeth

PreviousNext

Board index   Football  Other Footy Leagues  Adelaide Footy League