Clubs in strife

Adelaide Footy League Talk

Re: Clubs in strife

Postby Robb_Stark » Mon Mar 31, 2014 10:46 am

The Riddler wrote:
Robb_Stark wrote:
The_Informer wrote:Mawson Lakes does not have any juniors at all.
Never have.

they either have this year or are working on it for next year

No they don't mate and probably won't next year either.

lol quite a funny debate this though…I won't mention the amount of phone calls I got from parents over the past 5 years looking for a good jnr club in the area and me sending them to Pooraka ;) Might tell the new Coach Para Hills is closer now.

hang on i have never blamed another club for the reason that Pooraka or any other club is struggling with juniors but in saying that once mawson lakes do get a juniors up and running they will have a lot of numbers as mawson lakes is a very young area but thats not what im saying

im saying pooraka and mawson lakes would be a lot stronger overall if they merged in the future juniors for both clubs will add to the current strain

people are quick to blame N.E.M.J.A the SAAFL and also certain clubs i think when people only care about themselves it hurts the game overall parents play a big role also they often have issues with coaches cause trouble and piss of to another club and players normally follow

but in this case its safe to say postcode 5095 wont be able to handle 2 Teams regardless of how things are now im talking long term

also to the people in other areas who are quick to defend there own club yeah it might be good now but how long can it last
Robb_Stark
League - Best 21

Has liked: 72 times
Been liked: 155 times

Postby The Riddler » Mon Mar 31, 2014 10:59 am

Robb_Stark wrote:hang on i have never blamed another club for the reason that Pooraka or any other club is struggling with juniors but in saying that once mawson lakes do get a juniors up and running they will have a lot of numbers as mawson lakes is a very young area but thats not what im saying

im saying pooraka and mawson lakes would be a lot stronger overall if they merged in the future juniors for both clubs will add to the current strain

people are quick to blame N.E.M.J.A the SAAFL and also certain clubs i think when people only care about themselves it hurts the game overall parents play a big role also they often have issues with coaches cause trouble and piss of to another club and players normally follow

but in this case its safe to say postcode 5095 wont be able to handle 2 Teams regardless of how things are now im talking long term

also to the people in other areas who are quick to defend there own club yeah it might be good now but how long can it last

Robb_Stark am I right in assuming The Rooster from Pooraka is though? Is he saying having Mawson Lakes sharing the same Postcode is the reason you can't recruit properly or heavily? :lol: That's a beauty reason if true.

Mate these days recruiting comes down to money, whenever you ring someone the first question they ask is "how much?" and I am telling you right night with hand on heart MLFC wouldn't be in the same league as Pooraka or any other club in the North to be frank when it comes to the almighty $$$, So location means jack shit if you build a good culture, a winning culture, attract the RIGHT people and more importantly have a Coach with good people skills who knows how to communicate you can have success and recruit anyone to anywhere ;) Sorry for encroaching on your turf though.
The Riddler
League - Top 5

Has liked: 84 times
Been liked: 29 times

Postby Q. » Mon Mar 31, 2014 11:03 am

What's holding ML back from implementing juniors? Manpower?
Q.
Coach

Has liked: 970 times
Been liked: 2396 times
Grassroots Team: Houghton Districts

Postby Mr Beefy » Mon Mar 31, 2014 11:07 am

Q. wrote:What's holding ML back from implementing juniors? Manpower?

Pooraka..... :?
Mr Beefy
Coach

Has liked: 406 times
Been liked: 651 times
Grassroots Team: Rosewater

Postby The Riddler » Mon Mar 31, 2014 11:08 am

Got it in one Q, don't have someone who has the time and willing to commit to getting it all up just yet. I hoping this changes soon though plus they honestly don't have the $$$. They are slowly building the profile of the club though in the community by holding Auskick sessions last year and will be again this year.
The Riddler
League - Top 5

Postby The Riddler » Mon Mar 31, 2014 11:08 am

Mr Beefy wrote:

Pooraka..... :?

:lol: :lol: :lol:
The Riddler
League - Top 5

Postby The Informer » Mon Mar 31, 2014 11:16 am

Riddler is right on the moeny at the moment.

The club hasnt got enough people helping out at the moment and the committee is overworked as it is and need new people to step in and start up Juniors.

The club was asked by Port to run Auskick on the ovel last 2 seasons i think it was which they have done.

Build a culture and a club people want to play at and recuirts come.

To blame any other club beacuse they are close is laughable, it is just making up excuse for lazy committee people to live off.
The Informer
Reserves

Has liked: 19 times
Been liked: 233 times

Postby Lightning McQueen » Mon Mar 31, 2014 11:25 am

Although Mawson Lakes is a big suburb, it isn't really full of kids, they struggle to fill 2 junior cricket sides and the population is mainly made up of the younger generation.
They'd have to start with an Auskick program and then hopefully progress from there, they wouldn't have a chance in hell to start up with any age group above that.
HOGG SHIELD DIVISION V WINNER 2018.
Lightning McQueen
Coach

Has liked: 4344 times
Been liked: 7921 times

Postby The Informer » Mon Mar 31, 2014 11:38 am

Lightning McQueen wrote:

Although Mawson Lakes is a big suburb, it isn't really full of kids, they struggle to fill 2 junior cricket sides and the population is mainly made up of the younger generation.
They'd have to start with an Auskick program and then hopefully progress from there, they wouldn't have a chance in hell to start up with any age group above that.

Which is exactly what people who know abit about the club have said.
The Informer
Reserves

Has liked: 19 times
Been liked: 233 times

Postby Lightning McQueen » Mon Mar 31, 2014 11:55 am

The_Informer wrote:
Lightning McQueen wrote:

Which is exactly what people who know abit about the club have said.

Sorry, I know nothing about the club, a fair bit about the area though.
Lightning McQueen
Coach

Postby Robb_Stark » Mon Mar 31, 2014 12:06 pm

In the 2011 Census the population of Mawson Lakes is 10,872 and is comprised of 49% females and 51% males.

The median/average age of the Mawson Lakes population is 31 years of age, 6 years below the Australian average.

52% of people are married, 36.8% have never married and 6.3% are divorced and 2.5% are separated. There are 207 widowed people living in Mawson Lakes.

Families 1,479 that is a 2009 stat
Robb_Stark
League - Best 21

Has liked: 72 times
Been liked: 155 times

Postby Phantom Gossiper » Mon Mar 31, 2014 12:08 pm

Robb_Stark wrote:In the 2011 Census the population of Mawson Lakes is 10,872 and is comprised of 49% females and 51% males.

The median/average age of the Mawson Lakes population is 31 years of age, 6 years below the Australian average.

52% of people are married, 36.8% have never married and 6.3% are divorced and 2.5% are separated. There are 207 widowed people living in Mawson Lakes.

Good talk..
Phantom Gossiper
Coach

Has liked: 402 times
Been liked: 285 times

Postby Lightning McQueen » Mon Mar 31, 2014 12:09 pm

Robb_Stark wrote:In the 2011 Census the population of Mawson Lakes is 10,872 and is comprised of 49% females and 51% males.

Thank you, I can now sleep tonight! ;)
Lightning McQueen
Coach

Postby morell » Mon Mar 31, 2014 2:55 pm

So there has been a bit of chat in here about demographics, location and geography. Good stuff! People are thinking about the real issues rather than the more typical “club must be run by muppets” “no-one wants to play for your club” “club has poor culture” “club should pay players” palaver than usually gets trotted out.

Anyway, I’m a spatial analyst during the week and washed up footballer on the weekends, so the combination of these two means these thought processes kind of tickle my fancy.

I went through the following very quick analysis, hoping to see if there was a pattern or evidence in what everyone was thinking.

Roughly, I did this:

1. Mapped all the club locations – thanks to the SAAFL Google maps website for the coordinates. Also included nearby SFL clubs
2. Download age profiles for SA1’s (the polygon boundaries) from the ABS.
3. Add up “Football aged men” for each SA1. I did 17 to 40 males.
4. According to the ABS the participation rate for these ages for football averages to 5%, so I took 5% of all of those people and considered them the “player pool” for that SA1
5. This was too simplistic. What if you had quite good numbers for your local area but were surrounded by clubs who sapped them all?
6. Created a “100 player” catchment area for each club. So, how big is the circle until that club has 100 players available within it
7. Then took an average for the areas included in the clubs catchments and reduced those players by that amount. So the more clubs within that area that have a catchment the lower the numbers will be.
8. Mapped the result, which in my opinion, could be considered a map of indicative static player pools.

One flaw is that it treats all clubs as the same. So if North Pines are next to Salisbury West, they both have a catchment need of 100. I could have added up the real numbers here but, meh, don’t think it would have made a massive difference overall. I also removed Adelaide Uni completely as they are unique.

There are several pockets of “gold” for footballers in metropolitan Adelaide, the North East Road section – which I think is consumed by Tea Tree Gully, Modbury and Golden Grove. The Paralowie pocket, which is consumed by the 3 Salisburys. And curiously, the inner west. Richmond, Netley, Mile End, Thebarton – maybe the SAAFL are hoarding a player pool and awaiting the right time to unleash a super team or something. It could also be that there are just no clubs located in that area but they travel to Plympton, Flinders Park and Woodville.

Anyway, check em out:

1. Club Locations

2. Total Footballing Aged Men (darker = more)

3. Club Catchment – capture 100 players

4. Final Result (red or pink means the areas player pool has been exhausted and are in the negative, in the blue means positive)

morell
Coach

Has liked: 2017 times
Been liked: 1141 times
Grassroots Team: Mitchell Park

Postby Dogwatcher » Mon Mar 31, 2014 3:04 pm

my head's spinning
You're my only friend, and you don't even like me.
Dogwatcher
Coach

Has liked: 1425 times
Been liked: 1152 times
Grassroots Team: Elizabeth

Postby morell » Mon Mar 31, 2014 3:09 pm

Haha, cmon man, I tried to explain it as simply as I could.

Think of it like mining! Except were mining for 25 year old blokes.

Sounds like a bad movie I saw once.
morell
Coach

Postby Footy Chick » Mon Mar 31, 2014 3:22 pm

You'll note that your Torrensvilles and Thebby for at least the last 60-70 years has had a vast greek population, which traditionally played soccer - also this area was taken up with not one, but 2 SANFL teams. (Westies and West Torrens, now SAAFL HQ)

The South Road strip has always been a bit bare for clubs, with Kenilworth being close at the South End, WOS at Glandore and maybe Fitzroy being closest to South Rd at the north end. Even back in the day, Kenilworth was located on Greenhill Road (?) Glandore has been used for a couple of clubs and not sure where St Doms or Renown Park were based (Cue @FOURTH ESTATE, he'll know)

But good work Morrell, no matter what anyone else says 8) Nothing like being blinded with facts :lol:
Don't play games with a girl who can play 'em better...

Gatt_Weasel wrote:if they (Walkerville) dont win the flag ill run around the block of my street naked :) you can grab a chair and enjoy the view
Footy Chick

Has liked: 1738 times
Been liked: 2146 times

Postby Phantom Gossiper » Mon Mar 31, 2014 3:29 pm

morell wrote:Haha, cmon man, I tried to explain it as simply as I could.

Think of it like mining! Except were mining for 25 year old blokes.

Sounds like a bad movie I saw once.

Very good Morell, from one analyst to another I'm impressed!
Phantom Gossiper
Coach

Has liked: 402 times
Been liked: 285 times

Postby jo172 » Mon Mar 31, 2014 3:38 pm

The graph illuminates Angle Vale's problems pretty well. Particularly when you factor in its status as a new club and the competing Adelaide Plains and Barossa Leagues.
jo172
League - Top 5

Has liked: 1198 times
Been liked: 724 times

Postby morell » Mon Mar 31, 2014 3:51 pm

and Houghton.

The only explanation I have for how they can continue to survive is Q's infinite charisma.

They must have a pretty strong tight knit community/club out there to continually put up two competitive sides without the budget or profile of other clubs.
morell
Coach

PreviousNext

Board index   Football  Other Footy Leagues  Adelaide Footy League