Clubs in strife

Adelaide Footy League Talk

Re: Clubs in strife

Postby Cohiba » Thu Apr 10, 2014 11:52 am

Footy Chick wrote:Bombers...

How many Clubs besides Ovingham have folded in the last 10 years?

Answer: 1 - Paralowie, who folded due to mismanagement and misappropriation of funds; not sure if player payments had anything to do with either, perhaps The Informer can inform us.

Fact: Players have been paid in the SAAFL since as early as the 70’s

Fact: Players have been paid with envelopes in the change rooms a majority of Div 1 and 2 clubs all through the 80’s.

Fact: The League knew it was happening so bought it out of the shadows so it was transparent

Fact: The salary cap didn’t work as there was no way to police it unless all clubs want to pay an extra $2,000 - $3,000 a year each to employ a couple of salary cap officers, who in turn wont find any breeches as it will go back to being paid in envelopes in the change rooms and not going through the club financials.

There is only one way to stop it – and that requires all clubs to simply say NO – good luck with that as there will always be someone who will break the agreement to get an advantage and then everyone else will start it all over again.

Not sure.......Burnside Kensington.....???
Cohiba
Reserves

Has liked: 10 times
Been liked: 41 times

Postby The Informer » Thu Apr 10, 2014 11:54 am

Cedars? Salvation Army?
The Informer
Reserves

Has liked: 19 times
Been liked: 233 times
Grassroots Team: Houghton Districts

Postby Footy Chick » Thu Apr 10, 2014 11:55 am

Burnside Kensington -That was more than 10 years ago - 2001? Wristwatcher will remember better than me.
Don't play games with a girl who can play 'em better...

Gatt_Weasel wrote:if they (Walkerville) dont win the flag ill run around the block of my street naked :) you can grab a chair and enjoy the view
Footy Chick

Has liked: 1738 times
Been liked: 2146 times

Postby heater31 » Thu Apr 10, 2014 11:58 am

Think all those clubs folded more than 10 years ago.

In my time in the SAAFL from 2004 onwards there has only been the 2 clubs folding in Paralowie and Ovingham.
heater31

Has liked: 525 times
Been liked: 1263 times

Postby Mr Beefy » Thu Apr 10, 2014 12:05 pm

Mr Beefy
Coach

Has liked: 406 times
Been liked: 651 times
Grassroots Team: Rosewater

Postby piglet1 » Thu Apr 10, 2014 12:05 pm

Nichdanmatt wrote:I cant believe dittmar is commenting on this considering he left Henley to go to Portland for money,and they will find out how average he is over the course of the year.HE SHOULD SHUT HIS BIG MOUTH.HYPICRIT.

You got the wrong dittmar there mate
piglet1
Rookie

Has liked: 2 times
Been liked: 8 times

Postby Phantom Gossiper » Thu Apr 10, 2014 12:07 pm

heater31 wrote:Think all those clubs folded more than 10 years ago.

In my time in the SAAFL from 2004 onwards there has only been the 2 clubs folding in Paralowie and Ovingham.

Kaurna?
Phantom Gossiper
Coach

Has liked: 402 times
Been liked: 285 times

Postby The Informer » Thu Apr 10, 2014 12:08 pm

Western Warriors, boy that used to be a tough div with them, Cedars and Wingfield in the same Div!

If Chris Ditmar is getting paid to play footy we do have a problem lol
The Informer
Reserves

Postby Footy Chick » Thu Apr 10, 2014 12:20 pm

clubs like Kaurna and Cedars are different cases, they only were only existed for 2 or 3 years before shutting up shop.

W'ere talking longer term clubs with some history here..
Don't play games with a girl who can play 'em better...

Gatt_Weasel wrote:if they (Walkerville) dont win the flag ill run around the block of my street naked :) you can grab a chair and enjoy the view
Footy Chick

Has liked: 1738 times
Been liked: 2146 times

Postby Bombers4EVA » Thu Apr 10, 2014 12:22 pm

I know it doesn't seem alot atm. But the way things are going. More and more clubs are going to struggle to keep numbers or even field 2 sides. I know it costs clubs every time they forfeit. Would the SAAFL continue to exist if every club said no to paying players. From Div 1 through to DIv 8??
Bombers4EVA
League - Best 21

Has liked: 326 times
Been liked: 89 times

Postby Bombers4EVA » Thu Apr 10, 2014 12:23 pm

Its almost pretty simple though. No paying players, more players staying loyal to their local club.
Bombers4EVA
League - Best 21

Postby jo172 » Thu Apr 10, 2014 12:25 pm

Bombers4EVA wrote:Its almost pretty simple though. No paying players, more players staying loyal to their local club.

If clubs like Kilburn hadn't paid players they would have just reached the point they're at now albeit in a much lower grade.
jo172
League - Top 5

Has liked: 1198 times
Been liked: 724 times

Postby Mr Beefy » Thu Apr 10, 2014 12:28 pm

Bombers4EVA wrote:Its almost pretty simple though. No paying players, more players staying loyal to their local club.

get over not paying players - it aint gonna happen
Mr Beefy
Coach

Has liked: 406 times
Been liked: 651 times
Grassroots Team: Rosewater

Postby Bombers4EVA » Thu Apr 10, 2014 12:28 pm

Unfortunately you play where your talent gets you. If you have a talented list, then you will hopefully climb. When you win premierships, you attract players to your club on the fact they want to play at higher grades. If you have an average talent list, then you will have to battle with the other clubs. Build a good culture and players will want to play for your club.
Bombers4EVA
League - Best 21

Postby jo172 » Thu Apr 10, 2014 12:29 pm

To look at this problem from the other side of the coin,

How about a rule stating that Clubs can't field senior sides unless they're fielding x number of junior sides? (with the exception of Uni/Old Colls Clubs),
jo172
League - Top 5

Has liked: 1198 times
Been liked: 724 times

Postby The Informer » Thu Apr 10, 2014 12:30 pm

Or you could hope for a huge goverment handout to build great facilities to enable you to generate enough money to pay for a lot of players?
The Informer
Reserves

Postby Bombers4EVA » Thu Apr 10, 2014 12:31 pm

Mr Beefy wrote:

get over not paying players - it aint gonna happen

This is a forum mate where you can have a conversation about anything about footy. I was just seeing if anyone heard the topin on Roo and Ditts on trtiple m as it related to this topic. It was just interesting to heat there thoughts as well as anyone's on here. We all know that you cant stop clubs paying players. I was saying ( as i mentioned before ). "In a real world" club loyalty would have no issues if players werent getting paid to play "Amatuer" football. :)
Bombers4EVA
League - Best 21

Postby Pag » Thu Apr 10, 2014 12:37 pm

Bombers4EVA wrote:I know and it sounds like there will always be the same conflict. Who's got the most coin to throw around. Ditts said that he believes that Amatuer clubs in Div 4 - 8 shouldnt pay players. What's your thoughts on that? Also a bloke from Salisbury jumped on the radio to give his thoughts and he said and I quote ( which i find it really hard to believe ). " No one from the Salisbury FC gets paid because they all love and enjoy the culture". What a load of rubbish. You cant tell me that a club in Div 3 doesnt pay players. Crap.
As a committee member and vice-captain of the club, I can tell you that no cash is handed to players unless they are in the best 5 that day. Don't get angry at us because we have a strong junior set-up and bring them through to senior footy. If you can find someone closer to the situation than me, feel free to let us know his/her view.

If you did any research before spouting out your crap, you'd note that we lost 3 of our top 5 in last years B&F to the Barossa comp this year, as well as a former junior to the Hills. I'll give ya a hint, it's not because they all live outside of the metro area. This is also one of the reasons why we have yo-yo'd between Div 3 & 4 for 10 years, we are unable to compete financially with the top Div 3 or close country clubs. We have had a golden era of junior footballers coming through to become outstanding senior footballers in the last 10-12 years which has got us to Div 3, nothing else.

But if you want to let your uneducated assumptions get mixed up with the facts, go right ahead.
Last edited by Pag on Thu Apr 10, 2014 12:43 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Pag
Coach

Has liked: 18 times
Been liked: 499 times

Postby Phantom Gossiper » Thu Apr 10, 2014 12:40 pm

Bombers4EVA wrote:Unfortunately you play where your talent gets you. If you have a talented list, then you will hopefully climb. When you win premierships, you attract players to your club on the fact they want to play at higher grades. If you have an average talent list, then you will have to battle with the other clubs. Build a good culture and players will want to play for your club.

But don't the players want to stick loyal to their local club? ;)
Phantom Gossiper
Coach

Postby Phantom Gossiper » Thu Apr 10, 2014 12:41 pm

Out of curiosity, how many players would your club (Mawson Lakes) have picked up and retained if it hadn't been for the lure of a few $$?
Phantom Gossiper
Coach

PreviousNext

Board index   Football  Other Footy Leagues  Adelaide Footy League