Adelaide Footy League Talk

Re: Clubs in strife

Postby mickey » Thu Apr 10, 2014 5:25 pm

Footy Smart wrote:
johnny bravo wrote:
mickey wrote:
Mr Beefy wrote:PAOC will take over Kilburn Oval *

*may have not learnt that

I think you will find that there is at least 1 other football club and a host of soccer clubs already working to move in when/if Kilburn fall over

Name Names

Hasnt one already organised to play there on the odd weeks (non Kilburn A grade games)?

A foot in the door so to speak FS
mickey
Coach

Has liked: 137 times
Been liked: 312 times
Grassroots Team: Seaton Ramblers

Postby Mr Beefy » Thu Apr 10, 2014 5:30 pm

Footy Chick wrote:Yes, very good but slightly incorrect :lol:

Can everyone start talking about how much Rosewater are allegedly forking out this year and then we'll see how relevant Mr Beefy thinks it really is ;)
water off a ducks back, esp if they are as far off the mark as they were last year. This year I cant comment cos I dont know.
Mr Beefy
Coach

Has liked: 404 times
Been liked: 651 times
Grassroots Team: Rosewater

Postby Bradman » Thu Apr 10, 2014 5:40 pm

Would hardly say went to town on brahma and kilburn. What was said is you can't always be at the top....someone has to finish bottom and when it's your turn you accept it. Doesn't matter how strong the losses are. Rosie's went through it and no one complained, we went with what we had. Kilburn are now seeing what neglecting juniors do and putting everything into an a grade side only. You can't cry poor when things turn sour! Brahma lodge went with payney and he had a fair following of players....he bought most to the club... And had very good success for 3 or 4 years...did the club think they were all going to stay when he left?? Unfortunately for them they didn't....so now they should go through hard times, not ask to drop down grades. That's my opinion, others will think different and say no point getting flogged but they didn't say we should go up 2 grades cos we are too good. Goes both ways
Some like to say Arrogant, I like to say confident.
Bradman
Reserves

Has liked: 0 time
Been liked: 3 times

Postby morell » Thu Apr 10, 2014 6:18 pm

I think the crux of the issue is that there isn't a crux.

There isn't any single one thing which is causing this.

I know for Mitchell Park we've gone from ~100 players on the books and 3 sides to 35 and one side.

Of the ~50 that have left.

~10 would have retired, as in, actual proper retirement
~20 have moved on to play at other clubs of that 20, 5 would be to play higher and get the most of themselves, 5 because they weren't happy with the club and 10 because of following one of their mates
~20 have just walked away from the game and don't want to play this year

Does $$$ have anything to do with it. Maybe. If we paid players perhaps some of those 20 that aren't playing might have stayed. Which in turn keeps a couple of their other mates.

Does demographics and simple market fluctuations have an influence - of course, people being people move and change and adapt.

Does an apathy for the sport and risk of injury have an impact - yep!

All of these things combine into what is a bit of a soup, really.
morell
Coach

Has liked: 2017 times
Been liked: 1138 times
Grassroots Team: Mitchell Park

Postby easy TIGA » Thu Apr 10, 2014 11:31 pm

Has the points system had a negative effect on grass roots football? Is it more of a coincidence that when this came in, it made college sides stronger and the less aussie rules populated area weaker?
easy TIGA
Under 16s

Has liked: 34 times
Been liked: 35 times

Postby Look Good In Leather » Thu Apr 10, 2014 11:53 pm

easy TIGA wrote:Has the points system had a negative effect on grass roots football? Is it more of a coincidence that when this came in, it made college sides stronger and the less aussie rules populated area weaker?

The college sides are extremely advantaged under the points system.

The points system was brought in by the CFL to protect the SANFL, and the SAAFL adopted it to protect the old scholars bloc.
Look Good In Leather
League - Best 21

Has liked: 150 times
Been liked: 284 times
Grassroots Team: Christies Beach

Postby Mr Beefy » Fri Apr 11, 2014 7:37 am

easy TIGA wrote:Has the points system had a negative effect on grass roots football? Is it more of a coincidence that when this came in, it made college sides stronger and the less aussie rules populated area weaker?

Has it? Why do you say that?
Mr Beefy
Coach

Postby jo172 » Fri Apr 11, 2014 9:25 am

Look Good In Leather wrote:

The college sides are extremely advantaged under the points system.

The points system was brought in by the CFL to protect the SANFL, and the SAAFL adopted it to protect the old scholars bloc.

Hahahaha. What a ridiculous assertion.

Tell us your version of the implementation of the Points System.

I (absolutely not being aligned with any college side) think it's the best thing that's happened to the Amateur League for a long time. The only problems it has are:
1. For many clubs detailed records of junior games are a new concept. We have to scratch our head for how many games a junior played 5 years ago, if someone came and played for us 15 years ago we'd have very little idea.
2. The Junior Games category should be expanded. The 25 games between 14 and 16 can be too hard to meet for many players as that is the age group they're whisked away to Norwood/State Squads/Etc. We've had blokes who have played well over 100 junior games for our footy club, never played for another (non-SANFL) club but still be worth points because they only played 20 games in the relevant period. The rule should be re-drafted to 25 games between 14 and 16 or 100 games in total.
3. Get rid of the Son of a Life Member rule. How many life members wouldn't have their own children playing junior footy at a club they're life members at? Pointless duplication and is asking to be exploited.

And no Easy Tiga, it benefits clubs who do something for the game of football at a developmental and grassroots level (and Adelaide Uni, it benefits Adelaide Uni alot). It hurts clubs who give nothing back in the hollow pursuit of lower grade glory.
jo172
League - Top 5

Has liked: 1198 times
Been liked: 724 times

Postby Look Good In Leather » Fri Apr 11, 2014 9:30 am

Mr Beefy wrote:

Because it gives them access to an exceptionally large number of zero pointers without having to do the ground work (ie running junior teams). Even a large junior program will not produce that amount of zero pointers.

Sent from my GT-I9305T using Tapatalk
Look Good In Leather
League - Best 21

Postby jo172 » Fri Apr 11, 2014 9:32 am

Mr Beefy wrote:

Because it gives them access to an exceptionally large number of zero pointers without having to do the ground work (ie running junior teams). Even a large junior program will not produce that amount of zero pointers.

What do you call Collegiate Football?
jo172
League - Top 5

Postby Look Good In Leather » Fri Apr 11, 2014 9:33 am

jo172 wrote:
Mr Beefy wrote:

What do you call Collegiate Football?

Enforced slavery

Look Good In Leather
League - Best 21

Postby Mr Beefy » Fri Apr 11, 2014 9:35 am

I think it should just be 50 junior games, regardless of age group. Clubs who have U18s will get kids that have played more than 100 games for another junior club but want to play U18s, they play 2 seasons of U18s and then they are worth 0 points to a club because they have U18s.
Mr Beefy
Coach

Postby Mr Beefy » Fri Apr 11, 2014 9:37 am

Mr Beefy wrote:

It said it has made them stronger, I don't see any evidence of this - I don't see Div 1 or Div 2 having a lot more college sides than they used to.
Mr Beefy
Coach

Postby morell » Fri Apr 11, 2014 1:33 pm

Would be interesting see their total numbers and any chnages over time though, both before and after the points system.

If anyone from the SAAFL has that data I will crunch it! :)
morell
Coach

Has liked: 2017 times
Been liked: 1138 times
Grassroots Team: Mitchell Park

Postby Phantom Gossiper » Fri Apr 11, 2014 1:38 pm

morell wrote:Would be interesting see their total numbers and any chnages over time though, both before and after the points system.

Doubt the SAAFL has that data.. everytime they change their systems etc it seems they fail to migrate the existing data over.. according to the new sportingpulse i've played a total of 7 games in my career :lol:
Phantom Gossiper
Coach

Has liked: 402 times
Been liked: 285 times

Postby Mr Beefy » Fri Apr 11, 2014 2:30 pm

morell wrote:Would be interesting see their total numbers and any chnages over time though, both before and after the points system.

Assuming you are talking about player numbers, Quantity <> Quality
Mr Beefy
Coach

Postby Cohiba » Fri Apr 11, 2014 2:37 pm

Last edited by Cohiba on Sat Apr 12, 2014 1:56 am, edited 1 time in total.
Cohiba
Reserves

Has liked: 10 times
Been liked: 41 times

Postby Phantom Gossiper » Fri Apr 11, 2014 2:43 pm

Cohiba wrote:Is that why you "deserted" a sinking ship....or was it just for the money........ :roll:

Pretty sure he left on the best of terms and explained to the club at the end of last season his plans for the future.. Was very up front and open.
Phantom Gossiper
Coach

Has liked: 402 times
Been liked: 285 times

Postby Look Good In Leather » Fri Apr 11, 2014 3:26 pm

Mr Beefy wrote:
Mr Beefy wrote:

It said it has made them stronger, I don't see any evidence of this - I don't see Div 1 or Div 2 having a lot more college sides than they used to.

Will occur over the next few seasons if the points system remains in place.

Meanwhile, I don't notice any of the Old Scholars bloc being discussed when we are talking about these "clubs in strife"
Look Good In Leather
League - Best 21

Postby jo172 » Fri Apr 11, 2014 3:30 pm

Look Good In Leather wrote:Will occur over the next few seasons if the points system remains in place.

Meanwhile, I don't notice any of the Old Scholars bloc being discussed when we are talking about these "clubs in strife"

I would wager it doesn't.

The number of College sides in the top 4 divisions may increase by 1, the number of College sides in the top 2 divisions may also increase by 1. Apart from that Schools like Pultney, CBCOC, Trinity, Blackfriars, Flinders don't pose a serious threat to any of the strong clubs.

And your second point is such a logical fallacy it makes my head hurt.
jo172
League - Top 5

PreviousNext

Board index   Football  Other Footy Leagues  Adelaide Footy League