AFL Round 2 Discussion ( and Live Scores )

Talk on the national game

Re: AFL Round 2 Discussion ( and Live Scores )

Postby whufc » Mon Mar 31, 2014 10:58 am

Yep not being a record crowd is a major dissapointment no matter what way the media, politicians, afl spin it, on a perfect day when both teams seasons still well and truly alive goes to show that location and the facilities isn't the only factor in getting a crowd to a game
RIP PH408 63notoutforever
whufc
Coach

Has liked: 5565 times
Been liked: 2519 times
Grassroots Team: BSR

Postby Jim05 » Mon Mar 31, 2014 11:06 am

whufc wrote:Yep not being a record crowd is a major dissapointment no matter what way the media, politicians, afl spin it, on a perfect day when both teams seasons still well and truly alive goes to show that location and the facilities isn't the only factor in getting a crowd to a game

Yeah its hard now with live to the gate and so many other factors.
The Essendon v Hawthorn game was a sellout yet only 44,500 rocked up to a 50,000 seater ground when both clubs have 50,000+ members.
On the radio Saturday morning there was a million excuses for why it wasnt packed such as it being live on TV, Hawks fans refusing to give money to Essendon and their fans hating Etihad, then the Essendon fans were fearfull of a drubbing and some members stayed away due to being charged an extra $8 to attend despite paying over $600 membership.
Jim05
Coach

Has liked: 1125 times
Been liked: 3534 times
Grassroots Team: South Gawler

Postby Wedgie » Mon Mar 31, 2014 11:29 am

Ironically the members area was packed, not one spare seat and people standing in the exits 5 deep to catch a glimpse of the game. All the empty seats appeared in the eastern and southern stands. Looks like the days of blaming the members is well and truly over.
Wedgie
Site Admin

Has liked: 2021 times
Been liked: 3862 times
Grassroots Team: Noarlunga

Postby dedja » Mon Mar 31, 2014 11:32 am

well that answers my next question ...
It is better to be silent and be thought a fool, than to speak and remove all doubt
dedja
Coach

Has liked: 157 times
Been liked: 972 times

Postby bennymacca » Mon Mar 31, 2014 11:37 am

Booney wrote:Port showed our run from the back half has plenty of damaging options. Hartlett, Polec, Boak and Ebert ( who was once questionable with disposal ) are all very damaging by foot. Give Port a break or turnover and you will get burnt really quickly.

Schulz, Westhoff, Wingard ( is there a more exciting prospect in the AFL at the moment? ) Gray, Monfries and even Butcher ( who I think plays the role he is asked ) offer a very challenging match up for any opponent, even more so if you just hand us the ball in the midfield. That group will score quickly and heavily. Throw in Boak, Ebert,

Adelaide's skills and forward half execution was appalling. Podsialy is a liability once the ball is at ground level or being run out of defence, I maintain my stance of him being a flat track bully, McKernan, did he even play? He had 4 disposals at 38% efficiency in just over 3/4 of football. Josh Jenkins must be scratching his head....( I assume he is fit and ready to play ). If Jenkins isn't fit I suggest sending out the 19th Man, they hardly had anything to do on Saturday they won't be sore at all. "Will the 19th man please shut up, please shut up" :lol:

Adelaide Oval looked an absolute treat. My seats are about 8m from both food outlets and a bar in the City View Room of the Riverbank Stand. Excellent spot.

Agree with all of that booney. Polec looks like an excellent pickup and gives you that outside class that was probably missing from your backline since Pearce left.

The hoff is so damaging because he can work all over the ground. Exposes most defenders with his running ability. Probably second to riewoldt in the afl for a forward.

Podsiadly and Johnston both horrible below their knees. Just shows how bad our forward line is without walker and lynch up there. Loved betts game though, gave us that forward line pressure that we needed and that was lacking from all our other forwards.

Still think butcher is the weak link in the port team. If Schulz is well held it means the hoff has to spend more time forward and not floating. Having a for Robbie gray takes a lot of that pressure off him though as another avenue to goal.

If you put another 40+ goal key forward in ports team though I think they would be a premiership threat
bennymacca
Coach

Has liked: 2253 times
Been liked: 1803 times
Grassroots Team: Freeling

Postby Booney » Mon Mar 31, 2014 11:49 am

Wedgie wrote:Ironically the members area was packed, not one spare seat and people standing in the exits 5 deep to catch a glimpse of the game. All the empty seats appeared in the eastern and southern stands. Looks like the days of blaming the members is well and truly over.

I didn't venture from the Southern Stand at all, but if I chose too, could I walk around to the Western wing?

I think a few people might have tried to escape the sun on Saturday afternoon.

Corporates must have been full, Andrew Demetriou was on the outer of level 3 in the Southern Stand near me....poor bloke even had a paper ticket. :lol:
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

Has liked: 7467 times
Been liked: 10755 times

Postby Wedgie » Mon Mar 31, 2014 11:51 am

Booney wrote:
Wedgie wrote:Ironically the members area was packed, not one spare seat and people standing in the exits 5 deep to catch a glimpse of the game. All the empty seats appeared in the eastern and southern stands. Looks like the days of blaming the members is well and truly over.

I didn't venture from the Southern Stand at all, but if I chose too, could I walk around to the Western wing?

Nup members only, need members ticket to go through the crossover at the edge of the southern stand or to go through the members gates on the northern side.
Wedgie
Site Admin

Postby Booney » Mon Mar 31, 2014 11:56 am

Wedgie wrote:
Booney wrote:

Nup members only, need members ticket to go through the crossover at the edge of the southern stand or to go through the members gates on the northern side.

So that's Adelaide Oval footy members and the Essential Power members bracket. Cheers.
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

Postby Wedgie » Mon Mar 31, 2014 12:07 pm

Booney wrote:
Wedgie wrote:
Booney wrote:

So that's Adelaide Oval footy members and the Essential Power members bracket. Cheers.

Correct, and a small contingent of SACA members who pay $125 for tix from now on too but they were unavailable for last Saturdays game.
Wedgie
Site Admin

Postby Hefty » Mon Mar 31, 2014 12:41 pm

Hawks v Freo this Friday nite should be a belter. Hawks might go in a bit underdone with question marks over Hodge/Mitchell.

As for the Showdown, went to the game and couldn't be more impressed with oval. Started on the Level 5 Terrace bar in the Southern Stand then ventured down to Level 3.......awesome. As for the result Port are a well drilled team and should be aiming for top 4 on current form.

If the Crows keep playing both J-Spud and McDogsh!t up forward we are screwed. Not sure why Sando doesn't pick Jenkins ahead of these two. Tex on one leg would be better than these blokes........come back now!!
Hefty
League Bench Warmer

Has liked: 133 times
Been liked: 110 times
Grassroots Team: Golden Grove

Postby mighty_tiger_79 » Mon Mar 31, 2014 2:20 pm

Jim05 wrote:
mighty_tiger_79 wrote:hang on, Friday was the bombers home game, perhaps you need to direct that to your clubs board

We did at start of season.
The AFL refused to move it.
Our contract at Etihad is over and one of the major items on the agenda at the AGM is negotiating a move back to the G

my apologies, I wasn't aware that contract had finished
Matty Wade is a star and deserves more respect from the forum family!
mighty_tiger_79
Coach

Has liked: 11807 times
Been liked: 3582 times

Postby TEX07 » Mon Mar 31, 2014 3:09 pm

Think dangerfield was still sore from last week. Watched the replay this morning and noticed every time he got a tap it looked like someone had belted him, I've seen him take a lot harder hits and get up pretty quickly.[/quote]

I honestly think that a lot of the players were sore from the Geelong game - its a pretty tough draw to get the Cats at home and then follow up with the Power a week and a bit later - no doubt the Power were better for the longer break between their first two games than the Crows were. Having said this, it did not make a difference to the result in the end IMO- maybe just the margin with the Powers superior fitness showing in the last quarter and a half.[/quote]
Still sore after 9 days? Surely there's better excuses than that?[/quote]

Yeah was pretty lame - I was hung over. Got no excuses - Port are just faster, fitter and in a much better spot right now. Crows are a long way off threatening for a top 8 spot right now. Port would be aiming for top 4 I would have thought - last year was no fluke IMO.
hola acabo de hacer que el yo se resuelve lo que este los medios en español
TEX07
League Bench Warmer

Has liked: 140 times
Been liked: 49 times

Postby valleys07 » Mon Mar 31, 2014 3:44 pm

2013 wasn't a fluke- but calm your farm on top 4. We have Fremantle, Hawthorn, West Coast and Geelong, who in my opinion are still 3-5 goal better sides than us. After what I have seen so far this season, we should be aiming for 5th-6th. Top 4 is still a season or 2 away I reckon.
“Think of me like Yoda, but instead of being little and green I wear suits and I'm awesome. I'm your bro—I'm Broda!”

HOGG Shield 2015 Division I Premiers.
HOGG Shield 2017 Premier League Premiers.
valleys07
Coach

Has liked: 767 times
Been liked: 1168 times
Grassroots Team: Hope Valley

Postby TEX07 » Mon Mar 31, 2014 3:58 pm

valleys07 wrote:2013 wasn't a fluke- but calm your farm on top 4. We have Fremantle, Hawthorn, West Coast and Geelong, who in my opinion are still 3-5 goal better sides than us. After what I have seen so far this season, we should be aiming for 5th-6th. Top 4 is still a season or 2 away I reckon.

I agree with you on Freo, Hawks and Geelong but West Coast im not sold on as they havent really played a tough side yet -. Power are in that top 4 in front of West Coast at present IMO.
hola acabo de hacer que el yo se resuelve lo que este los medios en español
TEX07
League Bench Warmer

Has liked: 140 times
Been liked: 49 times

Postby valleys07 » Mon Mar 31, 2014 4:22 pm

TEX07 wrote:
valleys07 wrote:2013 wasn't a fluke- but calm your farm on top 4. We have Fremantle, Hawthorn, West Coast and Geelong, who in my opinion are still 3-5 goal better sides than us. After what I have seen so far this season, we should be aiming for 5th-6th. Top 4 is still a season or 2 away I reckon.

I agree with you on Freo, Hawks and Geelong but West Coast im not sold on as they havent really played a tough side yet -. Power are in that top 4 in front of West Coast at present IMO.

Disagree with WCE. Lets not forget that in round 5 last year, they led us by 41 points before losing the unlosable.

2013 was a huge anomaly for the eagles, and with NicNat, Cox and Sinclair offering a dangerous ruck trio, Masten, Shuey, Priddis, Wellingham, Rosa, Selwood, Gaff + others running through their midfield kicking to Darling, Kennedy and their resting ruck, with LeCras at their feet they are a very dangerous offensive side.

Defensively they are far from shabby too with Glass, McKenzie, Hurn (although injured now).

Cant remember where I had them in my pre-season picks (maybe just outside the 4), but should win pretty well all their games at Subi, and will be a top 4 side in my eyes.
“Think of me like Yoda, but instead of being little and green I wear suits and I'm awesome. I'm your bro—I'm Broda!”

valleys07
Coach

Postby Booney » Mon Mar 31, 2014 4:27 pm

I can't be fagged finding the comment, but did someone say "Dangerfield was still sore from last week?".

:lol:

That's better than cheering practice!!

*Edit - kickinit...... ~X(
Last edited by Booney on Mon Mar 31, 2014 4:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

Postby valleys07 » Mon Mar 31, 2014 4:28 pm

valleys07 wrote:Cant remember where I had them in my pre-season picks

I had them 13th :oops: (Goodness knows what I was thinking there).

Top 4 for me- unless injuries take their toll.

valleys07
Coach

Postby Bum Crack » Mon Mar 31, 2014 4:34 pm

We're a long way off beating Port at Adelaide Ocal. Far too many injuries to be saying we're a 5 goal better side than the Power at the moment.
So you've seen everything have you?
Yep
Have you ever seen a man eat his own head?
No
Well you haven't seen everything then have you.
Bum Crack
Coach

Has liked: 320 times
Been liked: 885 times
Grassroots Team: Berri

Postby Mr Beefy » Mon Mar 31, 2014 4:36 pm

Bum Crack wrote:

We're a long way off beating Port at Adelaide Ocal. Far too many injuries to be saying we're a 5 goal better side than the Power at the moment.
only a month off
Mr Beefy
Coach

Has liked: 404 times
Been liked: 651 times
Grassroots Team: Rosewater

Postby Booney » Mon Mar 31, 2014 4:42 pm

Bum Crack wrote:

Geelong are still a top 4 side, make no mistake. Port will be a better side than when we met in last years semi final though. One of the games I'm really looking forward to in the next month. Shitty 4:10 Sunday time slot though....
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

PreviousNext

Board index   Football  AFL