Rnd 1 - Eagles v Central @ Maughan Thiem (Sat 5/4)

All discussions to do with the SANFL

Re: Rnd 1 - Eagles v Central @ Maughan Thiem (Sat 5/4)

Postby Dogwatcher » Tue Apr 01, 2014 7:59 am

Good news the Crows are playing at the same time, means the roads will be less busy heading to Woodville Oval, as everyone will be on public transport.
You're my only friend, and you don't even like me.
Dogwatcher
Coach

Has liked: 1425 times
Been liked: 1152 times
Grassroots Team: Elizabeth

Postby whufc » Tue Apr 01, 2014 8:08 am

Will be my first Centrals opening game I have missed in my memory!!!

Will be going to watch Eastern Park this Saturday.

Hoping for a Centrals win UUUUdogs
RIP PH408 63notoutforever
whufc
Coach

Has liked: 5589 times
Been liked: 2530 times
Grassroots Team: BSR

Postby sjt » Tue Apr 01, 2014 8:48 am

whufc wrote:Will be my first Centrals opening game I have missed in my memory!!!

Me too (other than the eastern park bit). Apologise to the CDFC boys for not supporting them on the day.
sjt
League - Best 21

Has liked: 118 times
Been liked: 59 times

Postby johntheclaret » Tue Apr 01, 2014 9:54 am

sjt wrote:
whufc wrote:Will be my first Centrals opening game I have missed in my memory!!!

Me too (other than the eastern park bit). Apologise to the CDFC boys for not supporting them on the day.

Band wagoners the pair of you. You're only waiting for the CDFC v AFC game.

Go on admit it.
You know you want to

:D ;)
johntheclaret
Coach

Has liked: 409 times
Been liked: 580 times

Postby jim5112 » Thu Apr 03, 2014 11:15 pm

holden78 wrote:
eaglehaslanded wrote:This match up could be interesting. I've always said you shouldn't read too much into trial form but the Eagles have looked good. How on earth they would play this one on Sat afternoon directly up against the Crows vs Swans at Adelaide Oval bemuses me though. I think the Eagles with the home ground advantage might just get up in a close one.

Who cares if the candys play at the same time f**k them, I hope they all do. Knees we should be playing sat arvos

Personally I think there should be no AFL games on Saturday afternoons -- they should leave that for grass roots footy.

Interesting to see if Centrals get physical with Boyd and if he snaps like he often did when he played for us.
jim5112
Rookie

Has liked: 0 time
Been liked: 1 time

Postby Bounce of the ball » Thu Apr 03, 2014 11:21 pm

The majority of us knew Central supporters will drop off when mediocre.
Bounce of the ball
Reserves

Has liked: 26 times
Been liked: 65 times

Postby wild dog » Thu Apr 03, 2014 11:31 pm

Bounce of the ball wrote:The majority of us knew Central supporters will drop off when mediocre.

Started to drop off after the 8th GF in a row, still well in the dynasty though.
wild dog
Under 18s

Has liked: 56 times
Been liked: 180 times
Grassroots Team: Smithfield

Postby Grahaml » Fri Apr 04, 2014 1:14 am

Bounce of the ball wrote:The majority of us knew Central supporters will drop off when mediocre.

Because that doesn't happen at every club in Australia?
Grahaml
Assistant Coach

Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 169 times

Postby eaglehaslanded » Fri Apr 04, 2014 1:19 am

Eagles

F: McGregor, Wundke , Grocke
HF: Goldsworthy, Ainger, Hall
C: Jarrad, Lewis, Martyn
HB: Batley, Von Bertouch, P Raymond
B: Sumner, Templeton, Giuffreda

1R: Borholm, Boyd, Powell

INT: Appleton, Kane, Poole, Mackenzie, T Schwarz
"We're the mighty Eagles"
eaglehaslanded
League - Best 21

Been liked: 15 times
Grassroots Team: Central United

Postby whufc » Fri Apr 04, 2014 4:31 am

Eagles by 78 against Centrals midget defence!!!

Ffs I would almost be a tall in our defence!!!
RIP PH408 63notoutforever
whufc
Coach

Has liked: 5589 times
Been liked: 2530 times
Grassroots Team: BSR

Postby ironknob » Fri Apr 04, 2014 9:31 pm

Hazydog wrote:
Big Phil wrote:
Jim05 wrote:Johann would need to kick 10 for the Dogs to get close, Eagles by plenty

He ight kick 10, in the 2's. That is where he played last weekend...

Albeit in Reserves company, he looked quite sharp to me. Definitely some potential.

What the deal with Yoey?? Is he allowed to play league while he is signed up for the foxtel reality footy show? Or are the dogs not picking him on form
ironknob
Rookie

Been liked: 0 time
Grassroots Team: Tasman

Postby Groucho » Sat Apr 05, 2014 6:29 pm

Don't worry Eagles fans, Grocke will get off, no one gets suspended for hitting Centrals players.

Couldn't believe the hypocrites in front of the Grandstand by the race, screamed blue murder when Ainger went down then cheered when Grocke elbowed Symes in the face and broke his jaw. Class.

Wasn't happy to see a few players shaking hands with the Eagles after the game, not a good look when one of your team mates has had his jaw broken by an act of thuggery.

The only good thing about today is it's 12 months until I have to visit that 5h1t hole again and mix with those lovely Eagles supporters.
Groucho
Under 18s

Has liked: 106 times
Been liked: 160 times

Postby sjt » Sat Apr 05, 2014 6:45 pm

Groucho wrote:Don't worry Eagles fans, Grocke will get off, no one gets suspended for hitting Centrals players.

Couldn't believe the hypocrites in front of the Grandstand by the race, screamed blue murder when Ainger went down then cheered when Grocke elbowed Symes in the face and broke his jaw. Class.

Wasn't happy to see a few players shaking hands with the Eagles after the game, not a good look when one of your team mates has had his jaw broken by an act of thuggery.

The only good thing about today is it's 12 months until I have to visit that 5h1t hole again and mix with those lovely Eagles supporters.

A bit of talk that three more games for Grocke means de-registration (and that three would be conservative).
sjt
League - Best 21

Postby kneedeepinthehoopla » Sat Apr 05, 2014 6:51 pm

sjt wrote:
Groucho wrote:Don't worry Eagles fans, Grocke will get off, no one gets suspended for hitting Centrals players.

A bit of talk that three more games for Grocke means de-registration (and that three would be conservative).

Ha! They'll pull the Parry precedent.
kneedeepinthehoopla
Under 16s

Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 54 times

Postby cennals05 » Sat Apr 05, 2014 6:56 pm

According to the SANFL site he has only been suspended for 4 matches in the last 4 years. Don't know what his record is prior to that though.
cennals05
League Bench Warmer

Has liked: 146 times
Been liked: 248 times

Postby Columbo » Sat Apr 05, 2014 11:26 pm

Poor form from anyone cheering that incident, it can be an emotional game footy and people (players and fans) get caught up, but that sort of thing is just ordinary. Credit to both sides for the remainder of the game being hard but not out of control.
Trust the process.
Columbo
League Bench Warmer

Has liked: 10 times
Been liked: 29 times

Postby Aerie » Sun Apr 06, 2014 9:31 am

Agree Columbo. I wasn't impressed with the obvious joy shown by the Central players when Ainger was down and out for a good couple of minutes before he got to his feet and was helped off. It was gutsy by Ainger and a fair bump by the Central player. Obviously Grocke wasn't impressed either, hence evening up at first opportunity.

However, no excuses for Grocke. That was dirty and he'll need to cop whatever he gets at the tribunal. Wouldn't be surprised if it is 5 weeks. Hopefully Ainger is not out for long with concussion/shoulder injury.

Eagles too good. Central will battle this season. All recruits were impressive, especially McGregor. Von Bertouch and Borholm very good, and they'll need to be this season.
Aerie
Coach

Has liked: 147 times
Been liked: 504 times

Postby sjt » Sun Apr 06, 2014 9:44 am

Aerie wrote:Agree Columbo. I wasn't impressed with the obvious joy shown by the Central players when Ainger was down and out for a good couple of minutes before he got to his feet and was helped off. It was gutsy by Ainger and a fair bump by the Central player. Obviously Grocke wasn't impressed either, hence evening up at first opportunity.

However, no excuses for Grocke. That was dirty and he'll need to cop whatever he gets at the tribunal. Wouldn't be surprised if it is 5 weeks. Hopefully Ainger is not out for long with concussion/shoulder injury.

Eagles too good. Central will battle this season. All recruits were impressive, especially McGregor. Von Bertouch and Borholm very good, and they'll need to be this season.

Grocke "wasn't impressed" by a fair bump, or a crowd reaction, so has potentially ended a great footballers career with a dirty act. No place for it in football.
sjt
League - Best 21

Postby Mr Fuller » Sun Apr 06, 2014 9:53 am

[quote="Aerie"]Agree Columbo. I wasn't impressed with the obvious joy shown by the Central players when Ainger was down and out for a good couple of minutes before he got to his feet and was helped off. /quote]

That is what I mentioned in the other thread. From where we stood it was pretty appalling, particulary that player who gave the high five. Of course this is from the perspective of a supporter on the boundary rather than on the ground. Hopefully this was misinterrpreted and that the centrals players were only doing this to reassure the centrals players who did the hit that he did nothing wrong (which he didn't) and that they were applauding him from going in hard.

Still, it didn't look good.

But yes, no excuses from Grocke - this screws up out rucking situation as well as out forward situation.

Suddenly, our 3 power forwards have been reduced to 1 with Grocke and Ainger out. And I'm pretty worried about Wundke. I've never really paid much attention to him when he was playing at South other than seeing his name in the paper kicking goals. Not sure if he was fat when he was at South or not but he is extremely out of shape. With the size he is now he doesn't appear to be capable of a quick sprint to mark the ball in front of his opponent on a lead. He got his goals on the weekend through out-bodying his opponent in a marking contest and free kicks. Yet this type of thing is fairly easy to stop. So not sure whether he is going to consistently kick us bags of 3-4.

Given the circumstances it woud be great to have Fitzgerald to come into the side but as we all know, he is playing bush footy after being overlooked time and time again.
Mr Fuller
Reserves

Has liked: 5 times
Been liked: 123 times

Postby Sanflfirst » Sun Apr 06, 2014 10:38 am

Was pretty hard not to miss both incidents yesterday. The Ainger/Collier collision was just great honest football with both players focussed on the ball. I thought the Centrals players were congratulating the attack on the ball not the injury to Ainger. The big difference between the Collier/ Ainger incident and the Grocke/Symes incident was the intent of the player. If Collier was intent on purely taking the player as Grocke was, then Ainger would probably have shared the bed next to Symes in hospital last night. There is no excuse for Grockes gutless attack on the player as seen yesterday. I thought that type of crap was long gone from our great game. Will be interesting to see what the SANFL does with this. IMHO Grocke should get a minimum 6 weeks penalty. If this puts him over the 16 week de-registration threshold then so be it. My gut feeling is that the SANFL will do another Parry like deal though.
Sanflfirst
Mini-League

Been liked: 0 time
Grassroots Team: Andamooka

PreviousNext

Board index   Football  SANFL