Round 1- Norwood v Port @ Norwood Post Match

All discussions to do with the SANFL

Re: Round 1- Norwood v Port @ Norwood Post Match

Postby JK » Thu Apr 03, 2014 10:47 pm

kickinit wrote:norwood always had 2-3 guys around the ball, they do play their oval very well. They will be a very hard side to beat at home. I thought we had a better deal with the umps but seriously they are shocking. Bring on the bays next week, we'll be better then we where tonight.

Fair call actually, although I thought maybe we'd done ok with the umps. Biggest thing I noticed at the game, standing on the hill, was just how quiet the supporters were. Honestly never seen/heard it that quiet before. Great to get away with the win and impressed/surprised by how well I thought we played, but a long way to go.
FUSC
JK
Coach

Has liked: 4458 times
Been liked: 2986 times
Grassroots Team: SMOSH West Lakes

Postby Blackwhite » Thu Apr 03, 2014 10:48 pm

The Sleeping Giant wrote:
PhilH wrote:- The crowd at Coopers Stadium East at Norwood (as opposed to Coopers Stadium West at Hindmarsh) was 6,354. (Thanks Big Phil)

Recent Norwood v Port night crowds at the Parade

2013 Round 1 - 7,750 (Easter Thursday Night)

2013 Round 18 - 4,197

2012 Round 18 - 6,050

2011 - Round 8 - 7,298

2010 - Round 5 - 6,665

So given it was a school night & on live TV for the first time, I think officials would be happy with the turn up.

On the other hand, unprecedented media coverage compared to the last decade (although hugely one sided), perfect weather and the "excitement" of AFL teams in the SANFL.

Just think, when the "novelty" wears off and the fence sitters realize the SANFL is now a farcical competition what the crowds will be like.

Exactly what I was thinking. Crowds will be dismal very soon.
Blackwhite
Reserves

Has liked: 58 times
Been liked: 44 times
Grassroots Team: Payneham NU

Postby RB » Thu Apr 03, 2014 10:51 pm

They should promote that Buggerman guy to the Power side.
R.I.P. the SANFL 1877 - 2013
RB
Coach

Has liked: 764 times
Been liked: 1074 times

Postby mal » Thu Apr 03, 2014 10:56 pm

Football Budget editors need a kick in the backside
They have listed past results between Norwood and Port Adelaide

Tonight , I , and many many others witnessed the first ever clash between Norwood and Port Adelaide Reserves
There is no history , until the history created between these 2 clubs tonight

Therefore the head to head clashes in the Keith Thomas Cup are :
1 Encounter
1 Norwood
0 Port Adelaide Reserves

And to the boisterous person who abused Port Reserves players with B grade and reserves insults needed to know :
Its not the players faults, its the admin peoples for the creation of the new club
Last edited by mal on Thu Apr 03, 2014 10:57 pm, edited 2 times in total.
mal
Coach

Has liked: 1150 times
Been liked: 903 times

Postby topsywaldron » Thu Apr 03, 2014 10:57 pm

JK wrote:Fair call actually, although I thought maybe we'd done ok with the umps. Biggest thing I noticed at the game, standing on the hill, was just how quiet the supporters were. Honestly never seen/heard it that quiet before. Great to get away with the win and impressed/surprised by how well I thought we played, but a long way to go.

Unfortunately when a sporting match isn't a legitimate contest people won't care as much.
'People are not stupid. They know when they are being conned. And two reserves teams operating in a League competition will reduce it to a farce, a competition without a soul.'

Dion Hayman 24th July 2013
topsywaldron
Veteran

Has liked: 21 times
Been liked: 218 times

Postby topsywaldron » Thu Apr 03, 2014 11:11 pm

Fos Williams would be rolling in his grave to see the prisonbar jumper desecrated like that. That you would equate games played by actual champs like Ebert, Motley and Cahill to those handed out willy nilly tonight is staggering.

At least Beeny would have had a sh•t time tonight.
'People are not stupid. They know when they are being conned. And two reserves teams operating in a League competition will reduce it to a farce, a competition without a soul.'

topsywaldron
Veteran

Postby SpionKopster » Fri Apr 04, 2014 12:06 am

I just loved seeing my club play at home again, it's been a while and we came away victorious.

Love it. Early granted but some extremely encouraging signs and we have a lot of improvement in us.

Strangely looking forward to going out North next week too 8)
Fortis in Procella
SpionKopster
Rookie

Has liked: 12 times
Been liked: 6 times

Postby Jimmy_041 » Fri Apr 04, 2014 12:23 am

Loved watching footy at Norwood tonight and actually didn't care it was the Power 2nds we were playing against
We did alright for the first game and, holy smolly, were some of the opposition terrible.
Were they all top ups?
Jimmy_041
Coach

Has liked: 718 times
Been liked: 1072 times
Grassroots Team: Prince Alfred OC

Postby Long live SAnFL » Fri Apr 04, 2014 12:25 am

Would that spud beenreal arrived home at ethelton yet?

Was last seen looking lost in space on the parade! :butthead:
Long live SAnFL
Rookie

Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 3 times
Grassroots Team: Payneham NU

Postby johntheclaret » Fri Apr 04, 2014 3:17 am

JK wrote:
kickinit wrote:norwood always had 2-3 guys around the ball, they do play their oval very well. They will be a very hard side to beat at home. I thought we had a better deal with the umps but seriously they are shocking. Bring on the bays next week, we'll be better then we where tonight.

Fair call actually, although I thought maybe we'd done ok with the umps. Biggest thing I noticed at the game, standing on the hill, was just how quiet the supporters were. Honestly never seen/heard it that quiet before. Great to get away with the win and impressed/surprised by how well I thought we played, but a long way to go.

You were impressed by how well you thought they played or you were thinking how impressed you were at how they played or you thought their play was impressive ;)
johntheclaret
Coach

Has liked: 409 times
Been liked: 580 times

Postby zipzap » Fri Apr 04, 2014 7:30 am

mal wrote:Football Budget editors need a kick in the backside
They have listed past results between Norwood and Port Adelaide

Tonight , I , and many many others witnessed the first ever clash between Norwood and Port Adelaide Reserves
There is no history , until the history created between these 2 clubs tonight

Therefore the head to head clashes in the Keith Thomas Cup are :
1 Encounter
1 Norwood
0 Port Adelaide Reserves

And Adelaide Football Club was formed in 1860 too ;)
"A no vote from any club means there is some sort of risk involved in our entry into the competition not working," Steven Trigg.
zipzap
Assistant Coach

Has liked: 248 times
Been liked: 39 times

Postby Macca19 » Fri Apr 04, 2014 7:50 am

Youd think we lost by 20 goals
Macca19
League - Best 21

Has liked: 5 times
Been liked: 10 times
Grassroots Team: Ports

Postby Jim05 » Fri Apr 04, 2014 8:26 am

Macca19 wrote:Youd think we lost by 20 goals

May aswell of been.
You were never in the contest and the scoreboard flattered you in the end.
Only thing stopping a 8-10 goal win was us putting the cue in the rack at 3/4 time and saving our energy for bigger fish next week
Jim05
Coach

Has liked: 1126 times
Been liked: 3552 times
Grassroots Team: South Gawler

Postby holden78 » Fri Apr 04, 2014 8:33 am

topsywaldron wrote:
PhilH wrote:
Last year's game was NOT on a school night and NOT live on free TV. Throw in the all the negativity about AFL Reserves and I was expecting a LOT lower.

I have total respect your passion for the SANFL Phil and you've done a sh*t load more than me in encouraging people to attend and follow it. No argument there. I do however suspect that even you, in your heart of hearts, know that trying to connect SANFL clubs with their local communities, the only constituency that will sustain them through the decades, will become almost impossible with the inclusion of the 2 new teams.

Exactly! And anytime you mention that point, no one ever has an answer. The only chance for the 8 clubs is they all dominate the Candy and Preserves totally.
holden78
League - Best 21

Has liked: 37 times
Been liked: 55 times

Postby Booney » Fri Apr 04, 2014 8:37 am

I was actually expecting more mindless bullshit in here than there actually is this morning. A few posters can hold their head up high though, as usual.

Onto the actual game....:

Norwoods structure taking the ball out of defence and through the midefield along with their attack on the body and ball is exactly what we have seen from them for the last few years, losing 5 games in 2 seasons pays tribute to the work Bassett and co have done from the junior grades to the league side. With only 8 ( I think ) of last years premiership side remaining its almost seems as though it has been beneficial for all Norwood players to play under a similar structure in all grades, making their transition to the top side easier. Revolutionary!

Newton will be a massive inclusion for the 'Legs if he stays fit all year, replacing the coach at FF he is a natural forward who reads the play, knows where to lead ( massive amounts of space helped that! ) and will be a regular contributor to the 'Legs scoreboard ticking over. Dawe and Baulderstone make for an impressive ruck duo and they will give the 'Legs runners first look more often than not.

The Magpies lack tall targets in the forward half, young bodies in the midfield got brushed aside far too easily and the defence had no resistance once the ball came in without any pressure on the ball carrier. The group will be better for the run together against the leagues best team and should improve from that outing. Mason Shaw will be a handy inclusion in the forward half. Summerton and Gray lead the way with attack on the ball and Bruggerman looked promising with some good grabs and smart play at ground level for a big man. *ahem* Kicking might need some work though.....Byrne-Jones looks like a little terrier and I think he's got something about him.

Renouf is seriously frustrating. He played in Hawthorns 2008 premiership side and although crippled by knee injuries for the last 4 years he still gets on the park, wins plenty of hit-outs but just has no effect on the contest around the ground. Norwoods big men had a field day running off him and creating a tall target through the middle of the ground leading to more Norwood attacking options.

Norwood will be the pace setters, again, Port I expect will improve and gel more as a unit as the year goes on.

Now you lads go back to debating what you want to call the Port Adelaide Magpies. I'm sure someone, somewhere is interested in your ramblings....or maybe not.
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

Has liked: 7484 times
Been liked: 10770 times

Postby wristwatcher » Fri Apr 04, 2014 8:40 am

Jimmy_041 wrote:Loved watching footy at Norwood tonight and actually didn't care it was the Power 2nds we were playing against
We did alright for the first game and, holy smolly, were some of the opposition terrible.
Were they all top ups?

Would of been hard to tell who some of them were due to the fact you had a bottle of Coopers to the lips you had to see through every 6 seconds ;)
The PNU Falcs 2005,06,13 x 2,14 and Div 1 Premiers in 2019......The SA 3peat - 2003,04,05
wristwatcher
Coach

Has liked: 13 times
Been liked: 845 times

Postby topsywaldron » Fri Apr 04, 2014 8:47 am

Booney wrote:Renouf is seriously frustrating. He played in Hawthorns 2008 premiership side and although crippled by knee injuries for the last 4 years he still gets on the park, wins plenty of hit-outs but just has no effect on the contest around the ground. Norwoods big men had a field day running off him and creating a tall target through the middle of the ground leading to more Norwood attacking options.

The irony being he always played OK and contributed solidly for Norwood under the hopeless old system that saw your league team win a flag.

topsywaldron
Veteran

Postby JK » Fri Apr 04, 2014 8:52 am

Booney wrote:Renouf is seriously frustrating. He played in Hawthorns 2008 premiership side and although crippled by knee injuries for the last 4 years he still gets on the park, wins plenty of hit-outs but just has no effect on the contest around the ground. Norwoods big men had a field day running off him and creating a tall target through the middle of the ground leading to more Norwood attacking options.

Get used to it mate. The bloke has plenty of ability, but unfortunately only displays it in sporadic glimpses.
FUSC
JK
Coach

Postby Booney » Fri Apr 04, 2014 8:54 am

JK wrote:

Get used to it mate. The bloke has plenty of ability, but unfortunately only displays it in sporadic glimpses.

He started 2013 as Port's lead ruckman at AFL level with an excellent pre-season, then his knee kept him out for several weeks and was demoted back onto the rookie list. I'd imagine he's had a tough mental battle over recent months with his knee and rookie listing. Needs to stand up this year.
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

Has liked: 7484 times
Been liked: 10770 times

Postby JK » Fri Apr 04, 2014 8:56 am

Booney wrote:
JK wrote:

He started 2013 as Port's lead ruckman at AFL level with an excellent pre-season, then his knee kept him out for several weeks and was demoted back onto the rookie list. I'd imagine he's had a tough mental battle over recent months with his knee and rookie listing. Needs to stand up this year.

Yep agreed. I remember watching him go head to head with Lobbe at Richmond Oval last year (pre-Redden injury obviously) and thought this should be a good contest, but Lobs smashed him.
FUSC
JK
Coach

PreviousNext

Board index   Football  SANFL