The never ending No AFL in the SANFL whinge thread

All discussions to do with the SANFL

Re: The 2014 season no AFL in the SANFL whinge thread

Postby wild dog » Mon May 12, 2014 12:10 pm

Centrals crowds at home are a real concern for the club. We never have a large visitor contingent at Elizabeth, but last year and this year the 2500-3000 regular home game crowd has now dropped by about 1000-1500. All this while anecdotally, the soccer crowds about the area have never been better. Expense is more of an issue than at other clubs, and the numbers on the northern mound have dropped by 80% in the last 2 years.
wild dog
Under 18s

Has liked: 56 times
Been liked: 180 times
Grassroots Team: Smithfield

Postby bennymacca » Mon May 12, 2014 12:24 pm

$14 is quite a lot to go to the SANFL. especially now that you can take a family of 4 to stand on the hill at adelaide oval for $50 (for the Crows Gold Coast game at least)

$10 seems to be about the price point imo.
bennymacca
Coach

Has liked: 2253 times
Been liked: 1803 times
Grassroots Team: Freeling

Postby whufc » Mon May 12, 2014 12:24 pm

wild dog wrote:Centrals crowds at home are a real concern for the club. We never have a large visitor contingent at Elizabeth, but last year and this year the 2500-3000 regular home game crowd has now dropped by about 1000-1500. All this while anecdotally, the soccer crowds about the area have never been better. Expense is more of an issue than at other clubs, and the numbers on the northern mound have dropped by 80% in the last 2 years.

Yep the northern mound which has traditionally been made up of guys from the vale, downs and munno para soccer club has become bare.

I think alot of these guys can't justify the expense when they can use that money the next day and have a big one at the soccer

While the downs and parafield gardens played recently and would have had between 1000-1500 there
RIP PH408 63notoutforever
whufc
Coach

Has liked: 5589 times
Been liked: 2531 times
Grassroots Team: BSR

Postby whufc » Mon May 12, 2014 12:25 pm

bennymacca wrote:$14 is quite a lot to go to the SANFL. especially now that you can take a family of 4 to stand on the hill at adelaide oval for $50 (for the Crows Gold Coast game at least)

$10 seems to be about the price point imo.

100% agree

I think the SANFL needs to trial dropping the prices dramatically and seeing if the money is made up from the extra attendance spending money in the ground and using clubroom facilities
whufc
Coach

Postby mal » Mon May 12, 2014 12:33 pm

Admittance fees may need to be looked at
I reckon fees for the general public have doubled the last 5 years ???????????????????????????

I can recall a few years ago
$8 Cash entry
$2 Concession cards

Now its
$14 Cash entry
$8 Concession cards

$ 8 to $14 for workers is steepish, but still affordable , a rise of almost 50%
$2 to $8 for pensioners and card holders is a massive increase , 400% is way way way way way too much
mal
Coach

Has liked: 1155 times
Been liked: 909 times

Postby whufc » Mon May 12, 2014 12:37 pm

Would I be right in saying the SANFL would make more by having less people through the gates paying a higher price than a bigger crowd paying a smaller entrance fee because of security costs and so forth would increase
whufc
Coach

Postby bennymacca » Mon May 12, 2014 12:43 pm

whufc wrote:Would I be right in saying the SANFL would make more by having less people through the gates paying a higher price than a bigger crowd paying a smaller entrance fee because of security costs and so forth would increase

Im happy to be corrected, but I highly doubt the difference between say 2000 and 4000 would require many extra staff at all.
bennymacca
Coach

Postby whufc » Mon May 12, 2014 12:46 pm

bennymacca wrote:
whufc wrote:Would I be right in saying the SANFL would make more by having less people through the gates paying a higher price than a bigger crowd paying a smaller entrance fee because of security costs and so forth would increase

Im happy to be corrected, but I highly doubt the difference between say 2000 and 4000 would require many extra staff at all.

Yeah I got no idea how it works.

I presum they would estimate a crowd figure and than place security on based on some kind of ratio of like 200 people to 1 security guard or something
whufc
Coach

Postby TimmiesChin » Mon May 12, 2014 1:45 pm

Its been a while since I checked this thread, so can someone give me the current state of play:

Are people currently complaining that the AFL clubs won't play to win, or won't be good enough, or are the complaints that the sides will be too strong?
TimmiesChin
Under 18s

Has liked: 11 times
Been liked: 14 times

Postby TimmiesChin » Mon May 12, 2014 1:50 pm

wild dog wrote:Centrals crowds at home are a real concern for the club. We never have a large visitor contingent at Elizabeth, but last year and this year the 2500-3000 regular home game crowd has now dropped by about 1000-1500. All this while anecdotally, the soccer crowds about the area have never been better. Expense is more of an issue than at other clubs, and the numbers on the northern mound have dropped by 80% in the last 2 years.

Front runners perhaps ?
(like any club that's flying)

Also $14 for entry is way too steep for the product you're getting. Given the SANFL is pulling a truckload of $$$ fro the AFL clubs Adelaide Oval revenue, and has the assets at West Lakes you would think they could try to grow local football by winding back the price.
TimmiesChin
Under 18s

Has liked: 11 times
Been liked: 14 times

Postby Booney » Mon May 12, 2014 1:53 pm

TimmiesChin wrote:Are people currently complaining that the AFL clubs won't play to win, or won't be good enough, or are the complaints that the sides will be too strong?

Yes, correct. ;)
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

Has liked: 7494 times
Been liked: 10780 times

Postby CedeNullis » Mon May 12, 2014 2:03 pm

TimmiesChin wrote:Its been a while since I checked this thread, so can someone give me the current state of play:

Evil is winning. And, the situation doesn't look like changing. I wonder if any of the clubs who voted for this, are having second thoughts?
Too late if they have, the damage has been done.
CedeNullis
Under 16s

Has liked: 23 times
Been liked: 11 times

Postby am Bays » Mon May 12, 2014 2:05 pm

Booney wrote:
TimmiesChin wrote:Are people currently complaining that the AFL clubs won't play to win, or won't be good enough, or are the complaints that the sides will be too strong?

Yes, correct. ;)

My biggest whinge is that I still can't get real beer i.e West End Draught at The Parade.
Let that be a lesson to you Port, no one beats the Bays five times in a row in a GF and gets away with it!!!
am Bays
Coach

Has liked: 163 times
Been liked: 1812 times

Postby Bounce of the ball » Mon May 12, 2014 2:05 pm

TimmiesChin wrote:

Front runners perhaps ?
(like any club that's flying)

Also $14 for entry is way too steep for the product you're getting. Given the SANFL is pulling a truckload of $$$ fro the AFL clubs Adelaide Oval revenue, and has the assets at West Lakes you would think they could try to grow local football by winding back the price.

You would think and most agree. Reckon they have some accrued debt as well.

Centrals do have concerns and that was always coming.

Back to the topic however, some clubs are changing their tune on the AFL clubs in the comp too as Port are fighting to keep their zones for next year.
Bounce of the ball
Reserves

Has liked: 26 times
Been liked: 65 times

Postby LPH » Mon May 12, 2014 2:10 pm

One can not deny that having 2 AFL Reserves Teams has done damage to the 'brand' that is SANFL... Port have been given a massive advantage in terms of their 'deal' & the Cows have the ridiculous situation of 'top up players' from Ammos & Country Teams, that are clearly not up to standard.

This has resulted in one team's domination of the competition so far & the other fielding a 'development squad' that includes genuine 'B Graders'.

The CEOs in their discussions with Trigg & Chapman were at pains to stress that: maintaining the Integrity of the competition & not Compromising the competition were priorities. I think it is fair to suggest that after just 7 rounds, both of these (Integrity & Compromise) have been breached.

It is arguable (at this stage) if Crowd numbers have been affected - I think we are about to see a more accurate reflection over the 'Winter Months'. Cows v West was an example. I think Cows v South will be poorly attended too.
Stephen Trigg & Rob Chapman are SA Football Patriots
LPH
League - Best 21

Has liked: 541 times
Been liked: 326 times
Grassroots Team: Kenilworth

Postby topsywaldron » Mon May 12, 2014 2:24 pm

TimmiesChin wrote:Its been a while since I checked this thread, so can someone give me the current state of play:

Are people currently complaining that the AFL clubs won't play to win, or won't be good enough, or are the complaints that the sides will be too strong?

And thus proving you don't have a clue about the issues at play here.
'People are not stupid. They know when they are being conned. And two reserves teams operating in a League competition will reduce it to a farce, a competition without a soul.'

Dion Hayman 24th July 2013
topsywaldron
Veteran

Has liked: 21 times
Been liked: 218 times

Postby bennymacca » Mon May 12, 2014 2:29 pm

he was asking a question, and said he hasnt been reading up on the issues. WTF?
bennymacca
Coach

Postby woodublieve12 » Mon May 12, 2014 2:31 pm

topsywaldron wrote:

And thus proving you don't have a clue about the issues at play here.

:roll:
"Fellas, it’s OK to be in pain. It’s OK to hurt. It’s OK to be sad. It’s no longer OK to suffer in silence."
woodublieve12
Coach

Has liked: 3025 times
Been liked: 2401 times

Postby topsywaldron » Mon May 12, 2014 2:32 pm

bennymacca wrote:he was asking a question, and said he hasnt been reading up on the issues. WTF?

No, you're right. There wasn't a single atom of smart ar*ed sarcasm in the question.

I humbly apologise.
'People are not stupid. They know when they are being conned. And two reserves teams operating in a League competition will reduce it to a farce, a competition without a soul.'

Dion Hayman 24th July 2013
topsywaldron
Veteran

Has liked: 21 times
Been liked: 218 times

Postby Booney » Mon May 12, 2014 2:34 pm

topsywaldron wrote:
bennymacca wrote:he was asking a question, and said he hasnt been reading up on the issues. WTF?

No, you're right. There wasn't a single atom of smart ar*ed sarcasm in the question.

I humbly apologise.

Booney wrote:Just wanted to check and I figured here was the best spot.

Does Topsy still follow the SANFL or does he just pop in from time to time and kick the shit can over?

I'd assume he'd be in this thread a bit, so here's the spot to ask.

???
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

Has liked: 7494 times
Been liked: 10780 times

PreviousNext

Board index   Football  SANFL