The never ending No AFL in the SANFL whinge thread

All discussions to do with the SANFL

Re: The 2014 season no AFL in the SANFL whinge thread

Postby Dutchy » Mon May 12, 2014 2:41 pm

Went to my first SANFL game Sat night at Richmond Oval, ive never been to an SANFL trial game but confident I can now say I have, zero atmosphere, zero enthusiasm and a family/friends crowd.

Almost the first person I saw when I walked in had a crows jumper on with a Westies scarf...enough to make you throw up...

One thing I did notice is the Crows had a significantly longer and harder warm up prior to the game, almost as if they want their players to play 5 quarters for a greater fitness base if they go up to AFL.

Also walked past them warming up in the 2nd half, unbelievably sterile...not pumping up of each other at all. Its what we all feared simply a development tool that puts its need ahead of the competition that they said they would respect.

Then there are some skinny country footballers that have no place on a SANFL team, they just serve a purposes for the Crows to put a side on the field.

You must feel for some of them that would have enjoyed escaping the AFL bubble for a few hours each weekend by going back to a traditional club under the old model. Now there is no escape and I struggle to see how they would be enjoying their footy, which can;t be good for their club overall.

If the SANFL isn't dead, its dying and even if the AFL teams are removed in coming years, the damage has been done, it will never be the same.
Dutchy
Site Admin

Has liked: 2322 times
Been liked: 3496 times

Postby topsywaldron » Mon May 12, 2014 2:42 pm

How many measured posts from everyone opposed to the two new teams do you AFL supporting hacks need to freaking get it?

Put really, really simply the introduction of two clubs whose goals are not shared by the rest of the competition and who play under a different set of rules destroys the integrity of the competition as a whole.

Their strength or weakness as teams is neither here nor there.
'People are not stupid. They know when they are being conned. And two reserves teams operating in a League competition will reduce it to a farce, a competition without a soul.'

Dion Hayman 24th July 2013
topsywaldron
Veteran

Has liked: 21 times
Been liked: 218 times

Postby topsywaldron » Mon May 12, 2014 2:43 pm

Great post Dutchy.

Prepare to get howled down by those that have the AFL hive mentality thinking.
'People are not stupid. They know when they are being conned. And two reserves teams operating in a League competition will reduce it to a farce, a competition without a soul.'

topsywaldron
Veteran

Postby Dutchy » Mon May 12, 2014 2:47 pm

Ill also add, there would have been little need for West to have a recovery session on Sunday, Crows Reserves certainly have nailed "bruise free" footy
Dutchy
Site Admin

Has liked: 2322 times
Been liked: 3496 times

Postby woodublieve12 » Mon May 12, 2014 2:51 pm

topsywaldron wrote:How many measured posts from everyone opposed to the two new teams do you AFL supporting hacks need to freaking get it?

Put really, really simply the introduction of two clubs whose goals are not shared by the rest of the competition and who play under a different set of rules destroys the integrity of the competition as a whole.

:lol: :lol:

yep love my AFL.... Go you swans.
"Fellas, it’s OK to be in pain. It’s OK to hurt. It’s OK to be sad. It’s no longer OK to suffer in silence."
woodublieve12
Coach

Has liked: 3025 times
Been liked: 2401 times

Postby Booney » Mon May 12, 2014 2:53 pm

topsywaldron wrote:How many measured posts from everyone opposed to the two new teams do you AFL supporting hacks need to freaking get it?

Still haven't answered my earlier question. You still follow the SANFL, or just shit can it?
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

Has liked: 7491 times
Been liked: 10772 times

Postby dedja » Mon May 12, 2014 2:54 pm

Hang on, if we didn't have the AFL in the SANFL then the Bays would be winless ... hooray!
It is better to be silent and be thought a fool, than to speak and remove all doubt
dedja
Coach

Has liked: 176 times
Been liked: 992 times

Postby Gozu » Mon May 12, 2014 2:58 pm

Dutchy wrote:If the SANFL isn't dead, its dying and even if the AFL teams are removed in coming years, the damage has been done, it will never be the same.

Not defending the inclusion of AFL reserves sides in the SANFL at all but the SANFL's decline in relevance was when the Crows entered the AFL in '91 followed by the Power in '97.
"The factory of the future will have only two employees, a man and a dog. The man will be there to feed the dog. The dog will be there to keep the man from touching the equipment" – Warren Bennis
Gozu
Coach

Has liked: 0 time
Been liked: 660 times

Postby LPH » Mon May 12, 2014 3:11 pm

Although there is some truth to that, I would suggest that the competition was actually beginning to 'come out the other side' of those major impacts. The SANFL has always played '2nd fiddle' to the VFL/AFL anyway. The directors had a real opportunity to enhance the standing of the competition as the BEST 2nd Tier in the land. Instead, they have made it just another AFL feeder/development league - same as NEAFL, VFL & WAFL.

Dutchy is correct - the damage has already be done & is most likely unable to be undone.
Stephen Trigg & Rob Chapman are SA Football Patriots
LPH
League - Best 21

Has liked: 541 times
Been liked: 326 times
Grassroots Team: Kenilworth

Postby Gozu » Mon May 12, 2014 3:28 pm

LPH wrote:Although there is some truth to that, I would suggest that the competition was actually beginning to 'come out the other side' of those major impacts. The SANFL has always played '2nd fiddle' to the VFL/AFL anyway. The directors had a real opportunity to enhance the standing of the competition as the BEST 2nd Tier in the land. Instead, they have made it just another AFL feeder/development league - same as NEAFL, VFL & WAFL.

Dutchy is correct - the damage has already be done & is most likely unable to be undone.

Okay I was talking generally from a crowd/standard aspect but how could have the SANFL brass done anything different to stop what the SANFL had become by say last season? I know we're talking mainly about the inclusion of the AFL reserves sides for the most part but how could the SANFL not 'just' become a feeder league when the best young talent will always want to play AFL over SANFL and the best of the leftovers in the SANFL can make more money playing country footy without needing to put in the same commitment practice wise?
"The factory of the future will have only two employees, a man and a dog. The man will be there to feed the dog. The dog will be there to keep the man from touching the equipment" – Warren Bennis
Gozu
Coach

Postby topsywaldron » Mon May 12, 2014 3:31 pm

Booney wrote:Still haven't answered my earlier question. You still follow the SANFL, or just shit can it?

And I'm treating the question with the disdain it deserves.

topsywaldron
Veteran

Postby Booney » Mon May 12, 2014 3:40 pm

topsywaldron wrote:
Booney wrote:Still haven't answered my earlier question. You still follow the SANFL, or just shit can it?

And I'm treating the question with the disdain it deserves.

Figured it would be an easy one to answer. Never mind.
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

Has liked: 7491 times
Been liked: 10772 times

Postby LPH » Mon May 12, 2014 4:01 pm

Gozu wrote:Okay I was talking generally from a crowd/standard aspect but how could have the SANFL brass done anything different to stop what the SANFL had become by say last season? I know we're talking mainly about the inclusion of the AFL reserves sides for the most part but how could the SANFL not 'just' become a feeder league when the best young talent will always want to play AFL over SANFL and the best of the leftovers in the SANFL can make more money playing country footy without needing to put in the same commitment practice wise?

Personally, I think that the 20 to 27 yr olds that still hold aspirations to play AFL from Victoria, WA, Tassie, even NT, QLD & NSW/ACT would be 'drawn' to playing here in what would be widely considered the level below. 'Mature Aged' Players have been drafted with some regularity over the past 5 or so seasons: Degan, Puopolo, Stokes, Podsiadly, etc.

I strongly felt that this was an opportunity to enhance OUR competition - like the 'old days' of recruiting from over the border & giving those types opf players an opportunity to get drafted as well as the production of younger players through the Clubs.

That won't happen now.
Stephen Trigg & Rob Chapman are SA Football Patriots
LPH
League - Best 21

Has liked: 541 times
Been liked: 326 times
Grassroots Team: Kenilworth

Postby Gozu » Mon May 12, 2014 4:27 pm

LPH wrote:
Gozu wrote:Okay I was talking generally from a crowd/standard aspect but how could have the SANFL brass done anything different to stop what the SANFL had become by say last season? I know we're talking mainly about the inclusion of the AFL reserves sides for the most part but how could the SANFL not 'just' become a feeder league when the best young talent will always want to play AFL over SANFL and the best of the leftovers in the SANFL can make more money playing country footy without needing to put in the same commitment practice wise?

Personally, I think that the 20 to 27 yr olds that still hold aspirations to play AFL from Victoria, WA, Tassie, even NT, QLD & NSW/ACT would be 'drawn' to playing here in what would be widely considered the level below. 'Mature Aged' Players have been drafted with some regularity over the past 5 or so seasons: Degan, Puopolo, Stokes, Podsiadly, etc.

I strongly felt that this was an opportunity to enhance OUR competition - like the 'old days' of recruiting from over the border & giving those types opf players an opportunity to get drafted as well as the production of younger players through the Clubs.

That won't happen now.

I'm not sure why those players wouldn't continue to be drawn to the SANFL given it's considered the best if not second best comp outside the AFL and the other two serious comps the VFL & WAFL both have AFL reserves sides playing in them too?
Gozu
Coach

Postby RB » Mon May 12, 2014 4:47 pm

topsywaldron wrote:Put really, really simply the introduction of two clubs whose goals are not shared by the rest of the competition and who play under a different set of rules destroys the integrity of the competition as a whole.

This. All who are in favour of reserves teams in the Sanfl should at least understand that the opponents of their being in it are putting forward THIS argument, not the argument that they'll be too strong.
R.I.P. the SANFL 1877 - 2013
RB
Coach

Has liked: 765 times
Been liked: 1074 times

Postby whufc » Mon May 12, 2014 4:56 pm

RB wrote:
topsywaldron wrote:Put really, really simply the introduction of two clubs whose goals are not shared by the rest of the competition and who play under a different set of rules destroys the integrity of the competition as a whole.

This. All who are in favour of reserves teams in the Sanfl should at least understand that the opponents of their being in it are putting forward THIS argument, not the argument that they'll be too strong.

Yep the whole 'too strong' thing is in the kick in the head while your laying on the ground after being knocked out!
RIP PH408 63notoutforever
whufc
Coach

Has liked: 5588 times
Been liked: 2529 times
Grassroots Team: BSR

Postby Wedgie » Mon May 12, 2014 5:06 pm

Safooty.net got a mention on the MMM Rush Hour tonight thanks to this issue. Good work Andrew whoever you are! :)
Wedgie
Site Admin

Has liked: 2042 times
Been liked: 3887 times
Grassroots Team: Noarlunga

Postby tipper » Mon May 12, 2014 5:13 pm

i didnt hear it wedgie, what was said if you dont mind filling us in?
tipper
League - Top 5

Has liked: 359 times
Been liked: 531 times
Grassroots Team: Peake

Postby cennals05 » Mon May 12, 2014 5:26 pm

tipper wrote:i didnt hear it wedgie, what was said if you dont mind filling us in?

Just listening to it now.

Roo and Ditts asked if there were any negatives with having the reserves in the SANFL. Andrew from Woodside rang up and said there's plenty of talk on safooty.net with negatives being professionals playing semi-professionals and salary cap. It was nice to also here the next caller also say he thinks it has been a negative move.

Ditts of course thinks it's been great, but he's a Port supporter so I wouldn't expect him to see the other side of the argument.
cennals05
League Bench Warmer

Has liked: 146 times
Been liked: 248 times

Postby cennals05 » Mon May 12, 2014 5:31 pm

The last caller Aaron from Coromandel Valley also mentioned safooty.net. He called us all a bunch of NIMBY's. Well Aaron stop coming to the site if you don't like it.
cennals05
League Bench Warmer

Has liked: 146 times
Been liked: 248 times

PreviousNext

Board index   Football  SANFL