Stephen Trigg & Rob Chapman are SA Football Patriots
LPH
League - Best 21

Has liked: 541 times
Been liked: 326 times
Grassroots Team: Kenilworth

Re: The 2014 season no AFL in the SANFL whinge thread

Postby dedja » Thu Jul 31, 2014 8:42 pm

Jack Cahill was from South, Bob McLean from Norwood and Fos Williams from West.
It is better to be silent and be thought a fool, than to speak and remove all doubt
dedja
Coach

Has liked: 176 times
Been liked: 992 times

Postby RustyCage » Thu Jul 31, 2014 8:43 pm

Who cares where the player is from? Clayton, Brown and Leys are three that come to mind from the last twenty years that have been a pleasure to watch who came from Victoria, and are players that Port supporters look back at fondly.
I'm gonna break my rusty cage and run
RustyCage

Has liked: 1260 times
Been liked: 933 times

Postby bennymacca » Thu Jul 31, 2014 8:43 pm

amber_fluid wrote:
LPH wrote:To be fair... Tim Evans came from Geelong

Yeah but he adapted to the Port Magpies lifestyle pretty quickly!! ;)

So they have to be Victorians only you approve of? Lol
bennymacca
Coach

Has liked: 2253 times
Been liked: 1803 times
Grassroots Team: Freeling

Postby LPH » Thu Jul 31, 2014 8:45 pm

Milan Faletic from West Torrens, Ray Huppatz from Woodville, Bomber Clifford from Collingwood...
LPH
League - Best 21

Postby amber_fluid » Thu Jul 31, 2014 8:49 pm

RustyCage wrote:Who cares where the player is from? Clayton, Brown and Leys are three that come to mind from the last twenty years that have been a pleasure to watch who came from Victoria, and are players that Port supporters look back at fondly.

They can come from far and wide........as long as they don't come from the Power.
Things have changed and I accept that.
Doesn't mean I have to like or agree with it.
There are no stupid questions, just stupid people.
amber_fluid
Coach

Has liked: 2224 times
Been liked: 2518 times

Postby dedja » Thu Jul 31, 2014 8:49 pm

RustyCage wrote:Who cares where the player is from? Clayton, Brown and Leys are three that come to mind from the last twenty years that have been a pleasure to watch who came from Victoria, and are players that Port supporters look back at fondly.

True, but this is about the only legal place to troll in here. ;)
It is better to be silent and be thought a fool, than to speak and remove all doubt
dedja
Coach

Postby amber_fluid » Thu Jul 31, 2014 9:00 pm

dedja wrote:Jack Cahill was from South, Bob McLean from Norwood and Fos Williams from West.

Grave Danger was from Bacchus Marsh. ;)
amber_fluid
Coach

Postby mal » Thu Jul 31, 2014 9:06 pm

Port Adelaide 1870-2013
What a club
Just a few memories of this once magnificent SANFL entity

Sitting next to Ports 1954 Best and Fairest winners daughter and friend at school
Sitting next to Ports 1920 Mag Medal winner's grandson at friend at school
Having PA footballers at my 21st birthday

I don't barrack for PA
But PA is part of my life
That's why I'm so against whats happening to the club these days

The SANFL without a TRUE Port Adelaide representation, is truly poorer
mal
Coach

Has liked: 1152 times
Been liked: 904 times

Postby LPH » Thu Jul 31, 2014 9:09 pm

amber_fluid wrote:

Don't you mean Tobaccos Grass? ;)
LPH
League - Best 21

Postby amber_fluid » Thu Jul 31, 2014 9:15 pm

LPH wrote:
amber_fluid wrote:

Don't you mean Tobaccos Grass? ;)

I wonder how big Dave feels about his beloved club bending over and taking one from Big Brother?
Ahh how times have changed!!
Apparently you are suppose to move with the times these days :roll:
amber_fluid
Coach

Postby johntheclaret » Fri Aug 01, 2014 3:04 am

Rising Power wrote:
wild dog wrote:
Booney wrote:Once again it comes down to what you think defines a club.

The bottom line is,I believe that it's up to the people who support the club that define what a club is.

Correspondents in this thread who post over and over and over their thoughts on the Port Adelaide Football Club are entitled to an opinion, just like we are allowed to have an opinion on theirs. Ultimately what they choose to think of their club, our club or other clubs pretty much matters **** all.

If it helps inflate their ego or own feeling of self importance, then that's a good thing for them.

Look, I will start this off by stating I respect you and others like you who are trying to make it feel the same and keep the historical connection by putting your, and I'm sure your families energy and money into it. You believe it to be the case, its just that I don't believe its the same and a large group of your opponents don't think that.

I cant argue that the SANFL part of Port Power are allowed to define your beliefs and hold to that. It does so with little regard to the legitimacy of the argument of your opponents within the same competition, the competition that enables you to put those beliefs in action. Once again that's your right.

However, its been demonstrated in other posts that legally your not the same - yes it is just paper but unless you or anyone else can disprove that, the point stands. Your SANFL club works under totally different conditions to its previous operations and your opponents. In no shape or form is it separate to Port Power. None. Its clearly stated that its not, and your clubs stated aim is to win the AFL premiership, a separate competition to the SANFL. So the Port Power reserves pretending to be the SANFL grand old Port Adelaide of old may make good theatre, but there are a substantial amount of people who see through it and think its a farce, corporate manipulation and false. Time will tell if the mainstream buy it or even care. Inflating egos, good old fashioned club rivalry, I wish it was that simple.

Anyway whether you realise it or not, your bottom line completely describes what you are doing. Keep it up, and good luck in winning your first premiership as a reserves team to Port Power.

See this 'pretending' is what I don't get. How are they pretending? Everyone knows they're the Power's reserve side and the vast majority of Port supporters are happy with this being the case. There's nobody that I know of who's just thinking "wow, what a coincidence that all the Power players are aligned to the Magpies". Would you prefer that the club drops the magpies logo from all it's branding and wear the V in SANFL games? The black and white jumper and all before it, yes even the pink ones to the homophobes out there, are part of Port Adelaide's history so there is should be no issue with them wearing it in the SANFL. If they were to change to the V then fine, but it doesn't change the fact that the next SANFL flag is number 37 for the club. The club isn't 'pretending' anything, not trying to trick the old Magpies/anti-Power people out there into believing the SANFL team is the same as its been for 100+ years, it's obvious that the SANFL team runs under a new structure, different rules to the other 9 teams, etc etc etc, you'd have to be stupid to think otherwise. It is what it is, Port Adelaide Football Club in the AFL and SANFL and that's it. /rant

But isn't it a different company? And for company read Club. Isn't the Port Adelaide footy club that plies it's trade in the AFL a fairly recently incorporated entity and the reserve team running around in the SANFL is part of that entity.

If my understanding is correct when the Port Adelaide AFL club came into being there was then two Port Adelaide entities. The newly incorporated Port Adelaide for the AFL, and the original Port Adelaide which changed it's name to Port Adelaide Magpies but remaining the original club incorporated in 1870.
I'm not really sure if the original Port Adelaide that played in the SANFL as a separate entity is defunct or just left dormant or even if the newly incorporated Port Adelaide AFL club has done some kind of reverse take over. But if they haven't, then it wouldn't it be fair to say that the club playing in the AFL with a reserve side playing in the SANFL is not the Port Adelaide incorporated in 1870 but an entirely different entity altogether, just using the same trading name. If my understanding is correct then the Port Adelaide club of today competing in the AFL with a reserve team playing in the SANFL has no more right to claim the original clubs history than the Woodville West Torrens club has in claiming the history of the original West Torrens or Woodville football clubs.

Many Port fans will always argue to differ although even on this board some genuine fans of the original Port Adelaide see it as it really is which would account for the drop in crowd numbers at Port reserve games.
I would expect the 6k last week doesn't represent a true following of fans supporting what they believe to be the original Port Adelaide incorporated in 1870, but their AFL reserves team taking on their state AFL rivals reserve team.

Anyone hanging into to "all the same club" notion has a right to do that but it won't change the facts. All this "a club is what the fans believe it to be" emotional corporate marketing is simply that. Emotional clap trap.
johntheclaret
Coach

Has liked: 409 times
Been liked: 580 times

Postby amber_fluid » Fri Aug 01, 2014 8:32 am

I like the fact that some Magpies/Power supporters wear the Magpies scarf and others the Power scarf to PAM games.
If you're going to pretend nothings changed and the Magpies still exist at least show some respect and leave the Power scarves etc at home and bring your Magpies gear.
You're either Arthur or Martha but you can't be both.
amber_fluid
Coach

Postby Booney » Fri Aug 01, 2014 9:05 am

amber_fluid wrote:I like the fact that some Magpies/Power supporters wear the Magpies scarf and others the Power scarf to PAM games.
If you're going to pretend nothings changed and the Magpies still exist at least show some respect and leave the Power scarves etc at home and bring your Magpies gear.

PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

Has liked: 7491 times
Been liked: 10772 times

Postby amber_fluid » Fri Aug 01, 2014 9:15 am

Booney wrote:
amber_fluid wrote:I like the fact that some Magpies/Power supporters wear the Magpies scarf and others the Power scarf to PAM games.

The Fashion Police at Alberton would be working overtime, Booney!! ;)
amber_fluid
Coach

Postby stan » Fri Aug 01, 2014 9:22 am

Or maybe just be happu you have people at the games in light of falling crowd figures.
Read my reply. It is directed at you because you have double standards
stan
Coach

Has liked: 88 times
Been liked: 1253 times
Grassroots Team: Goodwood Saints

Postby dedja » Fri Aug 01, 2014 9:26 am

Doesn't matter what they wear, they're still all scum, except maybe Booney.
dedja
Coach

Postby amber_fluid » Fri Aug 01, 2014 9:27 am

stan wrote:

Or maybe just be happu you have people at the games in light of falling crowd figures.

What, those Power supportes who wear their Power guernseys and talk about who will be promoted to the Power team the following week and don't really care about the score board........those people???
amber_fluid
Coach

Postby stan » Fri Aug 01, 2014 9:28 am

amber_fluid wrote:
stan wrote:

What, those Power supportes who wear their Power guernseys and talk about who will be promoted to the Power team the following week and don't really care about the score board........those people???

Fair point.
Read my reply. It is directed at you because you have double standards
stan
Coach

Has liked: 88 times
Been liked: 1253 times
Grassroots Team: Goodwood Saints

Postby Rising Power » Fri Aug 01, 2014 12:02 pm

Can certainly be both. Especially when the scarves have both logos on them.
Rising Power
Under 16s

Has liked: 35 times
Been liked: 44 times
Grassroots Team: Hectorville

PreviousNext

Board index   Football  SANFL