The never ending No AFL in the SANFL whinge thread

All discussions to do with the SANFL

Re: The never ending No AFL in the SANFL whinge thread

Postby Jim05 » Thu Nov 06, 2014 6:31 pm

Compared to teams like the Hawks who were missing up to a dozen of their best at the same time id say Port's injuries were not that bad
Jim05
Coach

Has liked: 1125 times
Been liked: 3534 times
Grassroots Team: South Gawler

Postby johntheclaret » Thu Nov 06, 2014 6:58 pm

dedja wrote:FFS ... fixed

Boo I was looking forward to a No AFL in the SANFL whingers thread for 2015
johntheclaret
Coach

Has liked: 409 times
Been liked: 580 times

Re: The 2014 season no AFL in the SANFL whinge thread

Postby woodublieve12 » Thu Nov 06, 2014 7:19 pm

kickinit wrote:
SimonH wrote:
Dols wrote:pretty confident that the Magpies will win next season. Sturt the dark horse.
With reserves teams, inconsistency is the theme—even within the one year depending on injuries to the league team's squad, but especially from year to year. Among mature players, the Port 2nds have lost Heath, Hitchcock, Newton, Stevenson and Renouf (presuming they rookie Logan as promised). That's some solid SANFL talent. They've gained only whomever gets displaced from the 22 to make way for Patty Ryder. EDIT: Plus the greatest player of all time Johann Wagner. The rest of the replacements will be kids from the drafts. Plus, especially in the 2nd half of 2014, they had an unusually great run with (lack of) injuries to the AFL list. You couldn't bank on that reoccurring.

Unless Port draft/rookie an unusual number of mature-aged players (or further bend/change the rules with contracting mature 'top-up' players), I see their 2nds being weaker next year.

You obviously didn't follow port too much last year. We had a very bad run of injuries in the second half of the season. We had 4 blokes have knee recon throughout the year. We lost our 2 key defenders for a couple of weeks, we also lost 2 guys each week for about 4 weeks with rolled ankles.

:lol: :lol: :lol: bad run :lol: you kidding right???
"Fellas, it’s OK to be in pain. It’s OK to hurt. It’s OK to be sad. It’s no longer OK to suffer in silence."
woodublieve12
Coach

Has liked: 3016 times
Been liked: 2383 times

Postby dedja » Thu Nov 06, 2014 8:11 pm

Cry me a faarking river ...
It is better to be silent and be thought a fool, than to speak and remove all doubt
dedja
Coach

Has liked: 157 times
Been liked: 972 times

Postby kickinit » Thu Nov 06, 2014 8:12 pm

Jim05 wrote:Compared to teams like the Hawks who were missing up to a dozen of their best at the same time id say Port's injuries were not that bad

Hawthorn had a very bad run no questioning that. But to say Port didn't have is just ridiculous. Only having 1 ruck men available for majority of the year, missing our 2 key defenders and missing some of our best midfielders all at the same time, if that's not bad I'd hate to see what extremely bad is to you then.
We're on this journey together, One Heart, One Club and they will Never Ever Tear Us Apart.
kickinit
League - Top 5

Has liked: 38 times
Been liked: 95 times

Postby PatowalongaPirate » Thu Nov 06, 2014 8:39 pm

kickinit wrote:
Jim05 wrote:Compared to teams like the Hawks who were missing up to a dozen of their best at the same time id say Port's injuries were not that bad

Hawthorn had a very bad run no questioning that. But to say Port didn't have is just ridiculous. Only having 1 ruck men available for majority of the year, missing our 2 key defenders and missing some of our best midfielders all at the same time, if that's not bad I'd hate to see what extremely bad is to you then.

Games played including finals in brackets :

Ebert (25)
Gray (25)
Cornes (25)
Wines (25)
Westhoff (25)
Schulz (25)
Broadbent (25)
Pittard (25)
Boak (24)
Lobbe (24)
Wingard (24)
Polec (24)
Hombsch (24)
Jonas (22)
Hartlett (22)
White (22)
Trengove (20)
Carlile (20)

Who's being ridiculous?
safooty Melbourne Cup Day Tipping Champion 2018 & 2019 #Back2Back
2018 safooty NFL Tipping Champion
PatowalongaPirate
2022 SA Footy Punter of the Year

Has liked: 444 times
Been liked: 1206 times
Grassroots Team: Sacred Heart OC

Postby woodublieve12 » Thu Nov 06, 2014 8:59 pm

kickinit wrote:

Collingwood extremely bad, Hawks bad, even the coach got ill. Port, meh!!!
It just proved port has very little depth...
"Fellas, it’s OK to be in pain. It’s OK to hurt. It’s OK to be sad. It’s no longer OK to suffer in silence."
woodublieve12
Coach

Has liked: 3016 times
Been liked: 2383 times

Postby SimonH » Thu Nov 06, 2014 11:06 pm

kickinit wrote:

If you're so sure you're right, go through the 2014 records and track week by week how many players Port had on the injured list, compared with other AFL clubs. Especially in the 2nd half of the year. Feel free to get back to us posting some actual links and evidence rather than "some of our best midfielders" (which is a category that some people would expect should include Ebert, Cornes, Boak, WIngard, Wines, Polec). For bonus points, try adding up the number of Port injured players who were definitely in your best 22, compared with the number of best-22 injured at other clubs. Try for example this one for a starter.
SimonH
Under 18s

Has liked: 118 times
Been liked: 62 times

Postby dedja » Fri Nov 07, 2014 1:09 am

Well, having the Fuchsia out would have been a body blow ... ;;)
It is better to be silent and be thought a fool, than to speak and remove all doubt
dedja
Coach

Has liked: 157 times
Been liked: 972 times

Postby Rising Power » Fri Nov 07, 2014 10:22 am

woodublieve12 wrote:
kickinit wrote:

Lucky to scrape into the sanfl grand final then...and even luckier to only lose it by under a kick. Obviously the gap between state league and national league is greater than the grand canyon.

PS. Great to see that Benny Haren will be given a good crack at it next year.
Rising Power
Under 16s

Has liked: 35 times
Been liked: 44 times
Grassroots Team: Hectorville

Postby StrayDog » Fri Nov 07, 2014 10:33 am

RustyCage wrote:
stan wrote:
bennymacca wrote:
Dogwatcher wrote:We're starting to talk about 2015 now.
Change thread title?

or start a new thread so we don't get 1 billion post long threads?

I think we should update the title and keep it going. Then its all in one thread.

One thread? Every SANFL thread!

A moderator, ain't ya?
"— here I opened wide the door; —
Darkness there, and nothing more."

- Edgar Allan Poe from " The Raven "

StrayDog
League Bench Warmer

Has liked: 1132 times
Been liked: 192 times

Postby PatowalongaPirate » Fri Nov 07, 2014 10:35 am

Rising Power wrote:
woodublieve12 wrote:
kickinit wrote:

Lucky to scrape into the sanfl grand final then...and even luckier to only lose it by under a kick. Obviously the gap between state league and national league is greater than the grand canyon.

PS. Great to see that Benny Haren will be given a good crack at it next year.

And there it is - The point of this thread.
safooty Melbourne Cup Day Tipping Champion 2018 & 2019 #Back2Back
2018 safooty NFL Tipping Champion
PatowalongaPirate
2022 SA Footy Punter of the Year

Has liked: 444 times
Been liked: 1206 times
Grassroots Team: Sacred Heart OC

Postby Rising Power » Fri Nov 07, 2014 10:38 am

Better raise the salary cap then.

And the tradition continues...
Rising Power
Under 16s

Postby StrayDog » Fri Nov 07, 2014 10:54 am

Rising Power wrote:Better raise the salary cap then.

And the tradition continues...

Ain't it the truth. ;)

StrayDog
League Bench Warmer

Postby StrayDog » Fri Nov 07, 2014 11:00 am

Rising Power wrote: Obviously the gap between state league and national league is greater than the grand canyon.

Well,...um,....ah,....yeah.

StrayDog
League Bench Warmer

Postby Fricky » Fri Nov 07, 2014 12:02 pm

With all AFL sides having stand alone reserves teams now, surely the AFL will start to have serious discussion about an AFL Reserves League. The AFL have enough money to help with the extra cost in travelling (and will have even more with the new TV rights up for grabs soon) and they can always schedule the Reserves on the same day as the league games, just at suburban ovals. i.e Richmond v Freo Reserves at Punt Rd with the League game at the G later in the day.

I haven't thought as far ahead about finals but that would always depend on which reserves sides make the finals.
Fricky
League - Best 21

Has liked: 93 times
Been liked: 120 times
Grassroots Team: Walkerville

Postby Rising Power » Fri Nov 07, 2014 1:22 pm

Suri wrote:With all AFL sides having stand alone reserves teams now, surely the AFL will start to have serious discussion about an AFL Reserves League. The AFL have enough money to help with the extra cost in travelling (and will have even more with the new TV rights up for grabs soon) and they can always schedule the Reserves on the same day as the league games, just at suburban ovals. i.e Richmond v Freo Reserves at Punt Rd with the League game at the G later in the day.

I haven't thought as far ahead about finals but that would always depend on which reserves sides make the finals.

Let's hope so.
Rising Power
Under 16s

Postby SimonH » Fri Nov 07, 2014 2:25 pm

Suri wrote:With all AFL sides having stand alone reserves teams now, surely the AFL will start to have serious discussion about an AFL Reserves League. The AFL have enough money to help with the extra cost in travelling (and will have even more with the new TV rights up for grabs soon) and they can always schedule the Reserves on the same day as the league games, just at suburban ovals. i.e Richmond v Freo Reserves at Punt Rd with the League game at the G later in the day.

It'll happen. It's just a question of whether it takes more or less than a decade (and what damage is done while we're waiting). Fans (at least the sort of fans who get there early) love watching a curtain-raiser. Cash is a non-issue if there's the will.

The oval it gets played on isn't a problem either. Number 1 option is always the league ground. Let's not forget that the majority of league footy played in history (in any state) has been played on a ground that has had one match on it already that day. And it's not like from the 1930s (or whenever a reserves comp started—I'm sure someone knows) until the present day in the SANFL (or from way back when until about 1996 in the VFL/AFL), there's been a huge undercurrent of fan complaint: "Yeah, league footy is pretty good, but it'd be much better if it was played on a pristine oval that hadn't been chopped up by the 2nds' boots". If the oval is in especially poor condition, mostly in the depths of winter, the reserves can always be moved during the week. But modern AFL ovals are never in especially poor condition compared with many suburban ovals of decades gone by.
SimonH
Under 18s

Has liked: 118 times
Been liked: 62 times

Postby Fricky » Fri Nov 07, 2014 2:28 pm

SimonH wrote:

It'll happen. It's just a question of whether it takes more or less than a decade (and what damage is done while we're waiting). Fans (at least the sort of fans who get there early) love watching a curtain-raiser. Cash is a non-issue if there's the will.

The oval it gets played on isn't a problem either. Number 1 option is always the league ground. Let's not forget that the majority of league footy played in history (in any state) has been played on a ground that has had one match on it already that day. And it's not like from the 1930s (or whenever a reserves comp started—I'm sure someone knows) until the present day in the SANFL (or from way back when until about 1996 in the VFL/AFL), there's been a huge undercurrent of fan complaint: "Yeah, league footy is pretty good, but it'd be much better if it was played on a pristine oval that hadn't been chopped up by the 2nds' boots". If the oval is in especially poor condition, mostly in the depths of winter, the reserves can always be moved during the week. But modern AFL ovals are never in especially poor condition compared with many suburban ovals of decades gone by.

It may be a struggle on the MCG with a day game then a night game on Saturdays, maybe at Etihad as well. But a reserves league is much better than what they have going at the moment.

If there was an AFL reserves comp, would that mean Port Magpies are totally removed from the SANFL?
Fricky
League - Best 21

Has liked: 93 times
Been liked: 120 times
Grassroots Team: Walkerville

Postby bennymacca » Fri Nov 07, 2014 2:34 pm

Suri wrote:
It may be a struggle on the MCG with a day game then a night game on Saturdays, maybe at Etihad as well. But a reserves league is much better than what they have going at the moment.

If there was an AFL reserves comp, would that mean Port Magpies are totally removed from the SANFL?

you would definitely struggle with 4/6 games a week on etihad/mcg but i think for most other grounds a curtain raiser would be fine.

but as mentioned you could easily play on suburban grounds
bennymacca
Coach

Has liked: 2253 times
Been liked: 1803 times
Grassroots Team: Freeling

PreviousNext

Board index   Football  SANFL