The never ending No AFL in the SANFL whinge thread

All discussions to do with the SANFL

Re: The never ending No AFL in the SANFL whinge thread

Postby Wedgie » Mon Aug 17, 2015 4:21 pm

Netball last weekend got incredible coverage with plenty of interest.
Wedgie
Site Admin

Has liked: 2023 times
Been liked: 3868 times
Grassroots Team: Noarlunga

Postby whufc » Mon Aug 17, 2015 4:25 pm

Wedgie wrote:Netball last weekend got incredible coverage with plenty of interest.

The netball World Cup has been a great success especially on the back of the great coverage Foxtel has given it.

The test will come in 2-3 years time though as to whether a lot of the people who have enjoyed it for that week transfer into full time viewers.

Im someone who has enjoyed watching the world cup but will probably once again show little to no interest in the national comp.

A womens comp is great for them and will no doubt increase interest in football overall but imho the AFL has a lot bigger issues they should be looking at fixing first..
RIP PH408 63notoutforever
whufc
Coach

Has liked: 5566 times
Been liked: 2519 times
Grassroots Team: BSR

Postby LPH » Mon Aug 17, 2015 6:00 pm

I agree the AFL has things they need to address but I think a National Women's League has more 'legs' (behave!) than a National Reserves Competition in terms of 'curtain raiser' games ahead of AFL matches, particularly in Victoria.
It wouldn't be a full 18 team competition but there is scope for a reduced season.

In terms of the Netball - its similar in Swimming.
Major Championships every 2 years (Commonwealth Games & World Champs for Netty) & (Commonwealth & Olympic games for Swimming) is when public interest is gained. The advantage that these & 'Football' for the Matildas have is it is International Competition.
But that doesn't mean that if the AFL want to grow ITS Brand, a Women's Competition is far more viable option than expanding to NZ or China.
I am sure PAPs would love to have an affiliated Women's Team playing against Melbourne, Bulldogs, Freo, etc.
The Australian Population is 53% Female - this market would be appealing to AFL House one would think.
Stephen Trigg & Rob Chapman are SA Football Patriots
LPH
League - Best 21

Has liked: 541 times
Been liked: 326 times
Grassroots Team: Kenilworth

Postby Dogmatic » Mon Aug 17, 2015 7:08 pm

Whilst the AFL is so good at political correctness will they give the women the same prize money?
For every one I miss I am closer to a hole in one.
Dogmatic
League - Best 21

Has liked: 4 times
Been liked: 32 times
Grassroots Team: Brahma Lodge

Postby CENTURION » Mon Aug 17, 2015 11:04 pm

daysofourlives wrote:Can anyone post the link to the story yesterday in the paper where that Parkinson dick said how good the reserves sides are for the comp

Edit found it
http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/afl/s ... 7484988551

below is a brilliant response to this ^^^^ article, by fellow Bulldog supporter, Pluto, posted on the CDFC forum.

Interesting article gentlemen. Couple of points I'd like to raise. You haven't said whether or not it is in the interests of the 8 SANFL teams to have the AFL Franchise teams in this competition. Nor do the opinions of the SANFL club CEO’s get a mention only …” Andrew and Keith they’re happy with how it’s working as well…”.

Further, I take it that when you state ..” And the majority of people who go to SANFL football are really enjoying it, want to continue to enjoy it and are really proud of their club, its tradition and its rivalries..” here you are talking about the Adelaide Crows and the Port Adelaide Power AFL franchise teams supporter bases and not the 8 SANFL teams!

You state that …“Certainly all the conversations that I’ve had say that the best solution as it stands is that it is the best solution for the (AFL) clubs in South Australia. Certainly it’s the right solution for having AFL players play in the SANFL….”.

I would respectfully ask who you had these conversations with? Did they canvass all Club CEO’s and Directors, Coaches, players and supporter groups (SANFL club supporter groups) etc? If so can you please provide dates, audience numbers/participants and discussion points mentioned. I’d be fascinated to hear who said what on this matter. Great for the AFL Franchise Players? Thought your brief was to support SANFL and it's clubs players?

Have you consulted with the SANFL players themselves about their welfare? To compete with the professional athletes employed by the 2 AFL Franchise teams, training requirements of the sub – professional SANFL players has increased substantively for little or no reward. Indeed you reduced the salary cap. Longer hours on the training track, larger impact on home, work and social life will have a telling effect on them individually and will ultimately affect the standard of our game and makes it all the more tempting to quit league footy and play in the country for a lot more money and a better quality of life! Lucky there’s not a player’s collective in the SANFL guys or you’d be in real trouble!

Inequities in the current playing conditions are ridiculous. The Adelaide Crows top up players get $400 per match for training 1 night a week. If they don’t play for them they return back to their assigned clubs on even higher wages or they play twice over the weekend and make significantly more money than do other players with the traditional SANFL teams. Where’s the fairness in this? What salary cap? Players who opted out of the SANFL system due to time and training commitment requirements are gifted League games. Makes a mockery of what players at other clubs are doing. Don’t get me started on the Port Adelaide Power debacle. How can you possibly allow them access to the competition with another different set of condition? At the very least Power academy side must go and they get their top-up players as per the Adelaide Crows franchise!

It would appear to me from the wording of the story that there will be no changes to the competition as it stands over the next few years which disappoints me. I would like to extend an offer to you both to come down to the Central Districts FC Annual General meeting late October this year where you both can stand up and explain to me and the “minority” just what you mean by …“And this year, I again think that on all measures apart from one the SANFL has more interest in it”. I’d also like you to be able to demonstrate the research you have that supports the prognosis that it’s“…Certainly there’s a minority of people who don’t like the structure as it is at the moment…”

As a loyal follower of this completion for over 60 years it would be really nice if just once someone from the hierarchy of the SANFL would address an audience of loyal SANFL football followers, players, officials etc. and explain the benefits of the current arrangements to us. Give all the 8 SANFL Club financial members the opportunity to view the pro’s and cons of the argument and let us have a vote on whether the 2 franchise teams are to remain in the SANFL. Explain to us why you allowed the misconception that both AFL Franchise teams would pay the SANFL existing teams $50,000 each per year to continue? If you’re right and it is only …” a minority of people who don’t like the structure as it is at the moment..” what have you got to lose? It can even be a non-binding vote.
Member No. 988 & PROUD to sponsor The CDFC!!
CENTURION
Coach

Has liked: 204 times
Been liked: 112 times
Grassroots Team: Salisbury

Postby saintal » Mon Aug 17, 2015 11:45 pm

Plenty of valid questions/points there.
SAFC- 60 years...
StKFC- 58 years..
saintal
Coach

Has liked: 346 times
Been liked: 428 times

Postby human_torpedo » Tue Aug 18, 2015 10:33 am

Besides the being able to play twice in a weekend, its a very well written post.. Ask Golden Grove the implications of playing top up players twice in a weekend, ended in a forfeit for them in a game they won quite comfortably..
human_torpedo
League Bench Warmer

Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 371 times

Postby heater31 » Tue Aug 18, 2015 10:45 am

human_torpedo wrote:Besides the being able to play twice in a weekend, its a very well written post.. Ask Golden Grove the implications of playing top up players twice in a weekend, ended in a forfeit for them in a game they won quite comfortably..

If they knew the rules they played under then there wouldn't have been an issue....
heater31

Has liked: 525 times
Been liked: 1259 times

Postby human_torpedo » Tue Aug 18, 2015 11:17 am

heater31 wrote:
human_torpedo wrote:Besides the being able to play twice in a weekend, its a very well written post.. Ask Golden Grove the implications of playing top up players twice in a weekend, ended in a forfeit for them in a game they won quite comfortably..

If they knew the rules they played under then there wouldn't have been an issue....

I never said anything about it, other than clearing up a point he made that the top up players have the ability to earn more cash by playing 2 games in a weekend, when in actual fact they cant..
human_torpedo
League Bench Warmer

Postby wild dog » Tue Aug 18, 2015 1:39 pm

human_torpedo wrote:
heater31 wrote:

I never said anything about it, other than clearing up a point he made that the top up players have the ability to earn more cash by playing 2 games in a weekend, when in actual fact they cant..

Well they are, and the AFC are happy to boast about it on their web site. Has happened multiple times this year.

http://www.afc.com.au/news/2015-08-04/life-of-pfeif
wild dog
Under 18s

Has liked: 56 times
Been liked: 180 times
Grassroots Team: Smithfield

Postby human_torpedo » Tue Aug 18, 2015 2:05 pm

wild dog wrote:
human_torpedo wrote:
heater31 wrote:

Well they are, and the AFC are happy to boast about it on their web site. Has happened multiple times this year.

http://www.afc.com.au/news/2015-08-04/life-of-pfeif

With the extenuating circumstances of a late call up and the Crows game being played after the local game.. What were the Crows options? Play a man short? Or force someone to sit out all footy for the weekend just in case of an unexpected withdrawal?
human_torpedo
League Bench Warmer

Postby wild dog » Tue Aug 18, 2015 3:05 pm

human_torpedo wrote:With the extenuating circumstances of a late call up and the Crows game being played after the local game.. What were the Crows options? Play a man short? Or force someone to sit out all footy for the weekend just in case of an unexpected withdrawal?

Fair enough, however I understand that tacit approval has been provided this year a couple of times with an ex Centrals player h_t. I looked for a quick reference but cant find it, so you will have to take my recollection for now.

The point he is making though which he made in a further post:

My biggest gripe about the current situation is the lack of consultation with the players of the 8 current SANFL Teams. The hierarchy of this league hasn't even considered the impact on them. To my knowledge it hasn't even bothered to talk with them or do any sort of assessment on how it's affecting them. This appears to be solely a $ issue and the health and well being of SANFL players is being totally ignored.

Friday nights game between the Power Franchise and Glenelg FC was a classic example of how wrong the system is. SANFL registered players hold down full time jobs, have to put in a full days work prior to playing a Friday night fixture. The Power Franchise listed players had the full day off to prepare!. How much did this contribute in the end result? I know in our own league squad players who are apprentices have to commence work ay 07:00 and finish around 16:30 before having to head of to training or playing in a Friday fixture.

Then for them to see players like Molyneau, Castree, Stent etc. get paid $400 a game when the play for the Crows and a lot more when they get dropped and go back to their local clubs is bloody criminal. Question to SANFL executive. Why would a young player stay with in SANFL system when they could sit out a year, play country footy, get between $600 - $1,000 a game (tax free) then try out with the Adelaide Crows Franchise team the next year. In the second year if they're successful they get a minimum $400 per game when playing for the Franchise team and when dropped they get the $600 - $1,000? or even better they play two games that weekend and get 2 match payments. "

I accept your point that it would be difficult to engineer two games a week, but it is possible. And if they don't, they drop down to their country team and happily play on.
wild dog
Under 18s

Has liked: 56 times
Been liked: 180 times
Grassroots Team: Smithfield

Postby Jim05 » Tue Aug 18, 2015 3:12 pm

human_torpedo wrote:
heater31 wrote:

Pretty sure its up to individual leagues isnt it?
Jim05
Coach

Has liked: 1125 times
Been liked: 3536 times
Grassroots Team: South Gawler

Postby twosheds » Wed Aug 19, 2015 7:58 am

bennymacca wrote:
johntheclaret wrote:And on a serious note. Women's Aussie Rules won't amount to anything more than a bit of a side show. Just like women's cricket, women's soccer, rugby or any other male dominated team sport. Except the bigger drawback for Ausie Rules is it won't have the odd booster like say the women's Ashes Series or the women's World Cup. These international tournaments at least generate some media interest which boosts national interest for a short period but it never develops into anything more.

I'm not degrading women's sport in general or women's Aussie Ruless specifically. History shows that women's team sports never draw the same sustainable crowds and interest (ergo: media interest), that translates into in investment $$$. And it's for that reason the powers in the AFL wouldn't be interested in investing more than some nominal amount.

I would think the amount pales into insignificance compared to the cash injection required to get a national AFL reserves comp up and running and significant funding to maintain it. Given the general lack of interest in their clubs reserves teams by followers of most, if not all, sports then the AFL would know raising enough media and investment funding to pay for an ongoing national reserves comp would prove almost impossible.

At least they would have the novelty factor and some short termed media exposure for very little investment into the women's game, which not only gives the brand a bit of a boost but shows them in a positive, all embracing light.

Well at least that's how I see it.

Very good post, I agree with that entirely.

JTC must be so pleased you agree with him :roll:
Get your own Arts Show ya fairy !
twosheds
Under 16s

Has liked: 11 times
Been liked: 18 times

Postby Booney » Wed Aug 19, 2015 9:29 am

The difference with womens cricket, soccer, rugby and a much lesser extent netball ( with the ANZ backed Trans Tasman comp ) is it only receives exposure once every 4 years with a World Cup or Ashes Series. With a small(ish) investment in a 6-8 week competition the AFL could have an elite competition every year and not have to wait 4 years for the elite to come together.

Anything to have people involved in our great game across all levels must be a good thing.
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

Has liked: 7468 times
Been liked: 10755 times

Postby johntheclaret » Wed Aug 19, 2015 10:12 am

Booney wrote:The difference with womens cricket, soccer, rugby and a much lesser extent netball ( with the ANZ backed Trans Tasman comp ) is it only receives exposure once every 4 years with a World Cup or Ashes Series. With a small(ish) investment in a 6-8 week competition the AFL could have an elite competition every year and not have to wait 4 years for the elite to come together.

Anything to have people involved in our great game across all levels must be a good thing.

I'm not trying to knock it.
But your point is in its way supporting what I'm saying. It is that once every 2 years, 4 years international event that turns up the media heat and gets the public behind the sport for that short time before dying away again until the next international tournament, except that women's Aussie Rules doesn't have that luxury.
johntheclaret
Coach

Has liked: 409 times
Been liked: 580 times

Postby bennymacca » Wed Aug 19, 2015 12:51 pm

I would think a shortened season may be enough to keep the interest going. Maybe start off with 8 or 9 teams and run half a season, coinciding with the last half of the afl season and ran as curtain raisers. I could see that attracting a fair bit of interest
bennymacca
Coach

Has liked: 2253 times
Been liked: 1803 times
Grassroots Team: Freeling

Postby Booney » Wed Aug 19, 2015 12:54 pm

bennymacca wrote:I would think a shortened season may be enough to keep the interest going. Maybe start off with 8 or 9 teams and run half a season, coinciding with the last half of the afl season and ran as curtain raisers. I could see that attracting a fair bit of interest

I was thinking before, during and after the split rounds. Three weekends a year we're "starved" of top flight football with only 6 matches, so these could pretty much have a curtain raiser from the ladies competiton.

Probably, as you say, 6-8 teams, 3-4 games per week with a round or two before the mid-season break and a round or two after.
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

Has liked: 7468 times
Been liked: 10755 times

Postby tipper » Wed Aug 19, 2015 12:55 pm

bennymacca wrote:I would think a shortened season may be enough to keep the interest going. Maybe start off with 8 or 9 teams and run half a season, coinciding with the last half of the afl season and ran as curtain raisers. I could see that attracting a fair bit of interest

sorry, but the above coming from one of the posters that thought the reserves sides in the sanfl was a good idea and would raise interest in the sanfl tells me that it is doomed to fail
tipper
League - Top 5

Has liked: 359 times
Been liked: 531 times
Grassroots Team: Peake

Postby whufc » Wed Aug 19, 2015 1:01 pm

Doubt Australia is ready to get behind a women's aussie rules competition just look at the Goodes saga
RIP PH408 63notoutforever
whufc
Coach

Has liked: 5566 times
Been liked: 2519 times
Grassroots Team: BSR

PreviousNext

Board index   Football  SANFL