The never ending No AFL in the SANFL whinge thread

All discussions to do with the SANFL

Re: The never ending No AFL in the SANFL whinge thread

Postby whufc » Fri Sep 04, 2015 9:48 am

Magellan wrote:
80% of those disgruntled fans will continue to follow the league and support their clubs regardless.

I think csbowes makes an excellent point here. The SANFL clubs know that dyed-in-the-wool SANFL supporters are, in the main, going to persevere despite severe modifications to the structure and integrity of the game. This is because their passion for their club runs deep, irrespective of what happens around it.

I think you see a comparable situation in English football (and I'll stand to be corrected by those who know more about the EPL than me). Fans of the 'less wealthy' teams (for want of a better term) will support their side year in year out even though they have no realistic chance of competing with the resource rich power sides who continually dominate the top of the table. Their only genuine opportunity to wrestle the title away from these power teams is to be bought out by a wealthy benefactor who is willing to splash the cash. Despite this, supporters can't and won't countenance the idea of ditching their team. It'd be a crime to do so. They may not even see the inequity as an issue. At any rate, they keep on supporting and hope in their heart of hearts their team will one day win the title.

My 2 boys used to love wearing their Bays jumpers...now have no interest. They have not only killed off their core supporter basis they have hurt future generations.

This is the bit I don't get. Irrespective of whether current fans drop off or continue to support, they're not going to be around forever.

Where will the next generation of SANFL supporters who will become paying members and active club participants come from? Surely relying on $50,000 a year from the Crows is not a sustainable solution.

Your pretty spot on, only point I would add in the EPL despite not winning the title fans see joy in other prizes like Europe, the cups etc but your are exactly right there is a massive element of tribal, blind loyalty
RIP PH408 63notoutforever
whufc
Coach

Has liked: 5565 times
Been liked: 2519 times
Grassroots Team: BSR

Postby cennals05 » Fri Sep 04, 2015 9:52 am

If my Club had voted YES, I'm not sure I could give them my blind loyalty. I also know how hard Kris Grant is working to get change, so I feel I owe the club some loyalty. However that loyalty will be tested if changes are not at least made to Ports model. At a minimum I expect them in under the same model as the Crows. This means no home games, no Academy side and they pay the fee of $400000.
cennals05
League Bench Warmer

Has liked: 146 times
Been liked: 248 times

Postby Magellan » Fri Sep 04, 2015 10:22 am

csbowes wrote:So nice to see Adelaide and its retarded fans bleating over the integrity of the competition being challenged.

The irony is delicious.
"Religion is like a blind man looking in a black room for a black cat that isn't there...and finding it." - Oscar Wilde
Magellan
Coach

Has liked: 757 times
Been liked: 1517 times

Postby Dogwatcher » Fri Sep 04, 2015 10:23 am

Magellan wrote:
csbowes wrote:So nice to see Adelaide and its retarded fans bleating over the integrity of the competition being challenged.

The irony is delicious.

Doesn't mean they get it.
You're my only friend, and you don't even like me.
Dogwatcher
Coach

Has liked: 1425 times
Been liked: 1152 times
Grassroots Team: Elizabeth

Postby Magellan » Fri Sep 04, 2015 10:34 am

Dogwatcher wrote:
Magellan wrote:

The irony is delicious.

Doesn't mean they get it.

And probably never will. Some Crows fans have enough trouble coping with the presence of opposition fans at the same ground.
"Religion is like a blind man looking in a black room for a black cat that isn't there...and finding it." - Oscar Wilde
Magellan
Coach

Postby mal » Fri Sep 04, 2015 7:35 pm

NO AFL IN WAFL ?
Fremantle or Fraudmantle ?

FRAUDMANTLE LISTED AS INJURED
Griffin
Hill
Mayne
Sutcliffe

RESTED OR OMITTED ?
Pavlich
McPharlin
Sandilands
Johnson
Mundy
Spurr
Pearce

Ross Lyon and his cohorts might be right in resting the magnificent 7
Its their call, and if amounts to a Fremantle Premiership or good finals participation sobiet

BUT

What about Peel Thunder ?
Had a good Minor Round with 13 wins and obtained a double chance
PT players within the team after a pre season and 20 Minor Round games have now been sacrificed
PT Coaches have been given headaches leading into the most important game of the season to date
Some PT supporters would have to be aggrieved ?

Could anyone blame current PT supporters if they stop supporting the club ?

This potentially 'could' happen in the SANFL
mal
Coach

Has liked: 1138 times
Been liked: 892 times

Postby LPH » Fri Sep 04, 2015 9:20 pm

cennals05 wrote:If my Club had voted YES, I'm not sure I could give them my blind loyalty. I also know how hard Kris Grant is working to get change, so I feel I owe the club some loyalty. However that loyalty will be tested if changes are not at least made to Ports model. At a minimum I expect them in under the same model as the Crows. This means no home games, no Academy side and they pay the fee of $400000.

I couldn't.
So 2014 I bought a SAFC Membership & went & watched them - wasn't the same, in fact far from it :(
No Passion.
As a result, I've been to watch 4 games this year - Norwood twice, Sturt twice (I live on the Eastern side of Town now) - Adelaide Oval, Norwood & Unley.

My passion (& my son's for that matter) goes away from the SANFL now & to another code.
I can't watch the AFL - I loath it.
I can hardly watch the SANFL - I loath what's happened to it.
It hurts because the SANFL was such a huge part of my life from the age of 4 to the age of 43 - West Torrens as a Junior, WWTFC as a Father & Supporter - almost every weekend with my lad for 8 seasons; kicks in the parks around the Suburban Grounds, beers & bets in the Club Bars all before the games. It was 'Boys Day' each week - sadly, that's gone forever because my Club voted Yes without so much as a Member Vote.
I have also lost a couple of friends as well because they say I abandoned my Club - perhaps I did but the Club abandoned me (& others) first by not listening to our concerns & by not allowing us a say.
Kay Sera :(
Stephen Trigg & Rob Chapman are SA Football Patriots
LPH
League - Best 21

Has liked: 541 times
Been liked: 326 times
Grassroots Team: Kenilworth

Postby csbowes » Sat Sep 05, 2015 12:45 am

I'm with you LPH...

This is my last season of SANFL I don't feel Sturt cares about the views of its supporters either.

I'll lose some good friends as a result, they can put up with more than me.

I hope they still enjoy it, but to be honest, my impression is not even they are that into it anymore.

I have an alternate code too, A-League, I actually look forward to that every season and have been for a while. The season starts in 4 weeks and I can't wait to watch the matches...

I'll miss the SANFL. No doubt. It was a big part of my life too. Going to see Sturt one week, the Peckers the next with a mate, great times, lived for those big clashes with Port Adelaide, but that's all history now. At 43 years of age, I'll be bringing my kids up as Adelaide United fans.

Hard to follow a league that doesn't even believe in itself, let alone believe in its fans.
csbowes
League - Best 21

Has liked: 0 time
Been liked: 77 times

Postby mal » Sat Sep 05, 2015 2:19 am

Ive been to 5 games this season[mainly Sunday games]
My lowest ever attendance apart from seasons spent overseas since about 1972
I now go to games to catch up with people with a past allegiance at the club, or at other clubs
I treat the game as entertainment and attend spasmodically
These days I mainly just punt on horses and watch AFL football on the weekends
Last season was the first SANFL Grand Final I have not attended this millennium , and my side was involved

ADELAIDE RESERVES
The BIGest farce of all is that Adelaide Reserves have never played on a home ground in 2 seasons
If they are going to be in the comp give them a home ground or share with an existing SANFL teams ground
The AR players are the entertainers and deserve better
mal
Coach

Postby johntheclaret » Sat Sep 05, 2015 5:01 am

whufc wrote:
Magellan wrote:
80% of those disgruntled fans will continue to follow the league and support their clubs regardless.

I think csbowes makes an excellent point here. The SANFL clubs know that dyed-in-the-wool SANFL supporters are, in the main, going to persevere despite severe modifications to the structure and integrity of the game. This is because their passion for their club runs deep, irrespective of what happens around it.

I think you see a comparable situation in English football (and I'll stand to be corrected by those who know more about the EPL than me). Fans of the 'less wealthy' teams (for want of a better term) will support their side year in year out even though they have no realistic chance of competing with the resource rich power sides who continually dominate the top of the table. Their only genuine opportunity to wrestle the title away from these power teams is to be bought out by a wealthy benefactor who is willing to splash the cash. Despite this, supporters can't and won't countenance the idea of ditching their team. It'd be a crime to do so. They may not even see the inequity as an issue. At any rate, they keep on supporting and hope in their heart of hearts their team will one day win the title.

My 2 boys used to love wearing their Bays jumpers...now have no interest. They have not only killed off their core supporter basis they have hurt future generations.

This is the bit I don't get. Irrespective of whether current fans drop off or continue to support, they're not going to be around forever.

Where will the next generation of SANFL supporters who will become paying members and active club participants come from? Surely relying on $50,000 a year from the Crows is not a sustainable solution.

Your pretty spot on, only point I would add in the EPL despite not winning the title fans see joy in other prizes like Europe, the cups etc but your are exactly right there is a massive element of tribal, blind loyalty

I don't agree. At least the league isn't compromised. A better analogy would be if Chelsea suddenly had their reserves playing in the championship and only for the benefit of their player development.
Despite only a few clubs having any real chance of the title, that can change, look at how Liverpool dominated, then Utd, then Chelsea, then City and then who knows who'll be next. And don't forget all the other clubs in all the other division have a chance of glory. And the Clarets away win at Chelsea a few years back will live with me forever.
It ain't perfect but it ain't compromised either.
And as the AFL clubs get stronger and the SANFL gets more and more diluted the two reserve teams will just end up dominating the league year after year.
The way it's going the top ammo clubs will end up stronger and wealthier to the point they could form a new league that replaces the SANFL as the top league in SA
johntheclaret
Coach

Has liked: 409 times
Been liked: 580 times

Postby Magellan » Sat Sep 05, 2015 8:43 am

Fair enough JTC, you're definitely emotionally and geographically closer to English football than I.

I will say this, though (and without hijacking the thread's integrity ;) ): if you have a group of clubs that are disproportionately resourced such that the they keep finishing at the top of the ladder every season, then isn't that to an extent compromised? They may be all 'league' sides playing for the same purposes, unlike the inclusion of a reserves sides as you say, but the evidence suggests that if you're not a power club with stacks of money you're pretty much making up the numbers. My understanding is that since the start of the EPL only one club since its inception in 1992 has won the title that's not one of the cashed-up super clubs like Arsenal, Man United, Liverpool, or Chelsea. In fact, Man City are only up there now because they've were bought out by wealthy benefactors who have since spent up on talent.

In my eyes, and in a similar vein, the AFL reserve sides are disproportionately resourced over the SANFL clubs through having better facilities and the capacity to pay players as professionals, thereby compromising the comp. The added difference over here is the aim and purpose of the reserves sides further compromises it.

Anyway, we can definitely agree that as the AFL clubs get stronger and the SANFL gets more and more diluted the two reserve teams will just end up dominating the league year after year. By that stage, it wont be worth watching.
Magellan
Coach

Postby FlyingHigh » Sat Sep 05, 2015 10:29 am

If they were to be removed, unlike some*, I would be back, and would now be in a position to contribute more than just a membership. I'd also make sure my siblings and niece and nephew were members, in some cases that would be the Eagles and in other cases not.
*I recognize that I wasn't a fully-invested attend-every-week supporter due to where I live, playing footy, etc, so in no way is that a go at those who were and said they'd find it tough to be back.

I haven't been to a minor round match since the Norwood v West Anzac Day game in 2013, which I went along on my own to get a dose of the good old-fashioned footy experience, 6000 people, good day as much as a Nwd/West spectacle at the time could be. Last game was the 2013 GF, none last year, won't be going this year even if the Eagles are in it unless my niece and nephew are visiting Adelaide, to give them the experience.
FlyingHigh
Assistant Coach

Has liked: 81 times
Been liked: 173 times

Postby daysofourlives » Sat Sep 05, 2015 10:42 am

I once went to 12 SANFL Grand Finals in a row, then i became disallusioned with the comp so have been to the past 3 AFL Grand Finals, I will probably go again this year for the last time, I feel the SANFL needs me more than ever so next year I will attend the Grand Final again ;)
Supercoach Spring Racing Champion 2019
Spargo's Good Friday Cup Champion 2020
daysofourlives
Coach

Has liked: 2415 times
Been liked: 1657 times
Grassroots Team: Angaston

Postby cracka » Sat Sep 05, 2015 11:45 am

daysofourlives wrote:I once went to 12 SANFL Grand Finals in a row, then i became disallusioned with the comp so have been to the past 3 AFL Grand Finals, I will probably go again this year for the last time, I feel the SANFL needs me more than ever so next year I will attend the Grand Final again ;)

Bandwagonner eh. :D
cracka
Veteran

Has liked: 458 times
Been liked: 560 times
Grassroots Team: Onkaparinga Valley

Postby FlyingHigh » Sat Sep 05, 2015 1:27 pm

daysofourlives wrote:I once went to 12 SANFL Grand Finals in a row, then i became disallusioned with the comp so have been to the past 3 AFL Grand Finals, I will probably go again this year for the last time, I feel the SANFL needs me more than ever so next year I will attend the Grand Final again ;)

:D Very Good
FlyingHigh
Assistant Coach

Has liked: 81 times
Been liked: 173 times

Postby mighty_tiger_79 » Sat Sep 05, 2015 9:33 pm

I used to go the finals regardless if Glenelg made it
Matty Wade is a star and deserves more respect from the forum family!
mighty_tiger_79
Coach

Has liked: 11805 times
Been liked: 3582 times

Postby saintal » Sun Sep 06, 2015 7:06 pm

West Perth 82 up on Peel half way through the final term in the WAFL finals. 16 goals to 1 since quarter time.
SAFC- 60 years...
StKFC- 58 years..
saintal
Coach

Has liked: 346 times
Been liked: 428 times

Postby Wedgie » Sun Sep 06, 2015 7:07 pm

saintal wrote:West Perth 82 up on Peel half way through the final term in the WAFL finals. 16 goals to 1 since quarter time.

Ridiculous
Wedgie
Site Admin

Has liked: 2020 times
Been liked: 3862 times
Grassroots Team: Noarlunga

Postby mal » Sun Sep 06, 2015 7:28 pm

mal wrote:NO AFL IN WAFL ?

Griffin
Hill
Mayne
Sutcliffe

RESTED OR OMITTED ?
Pavlich
McPharlin
Sandilands
Johnson
Mundy
Spurr
Pearce

Its their call, and if amounts to a Fremantle Premiership or good finals participation sobiet

BUT

PT players within the team after a pre season and 20 Minor Round games have now been sacrificed
PT Coaches have been given headaches leading into the most important game of the season to date

WP...1-2...9-2...13-7...22-13 [145]
PT ...3-2...3-4....4-6......5-6 [ 36]

Peel Under lose by 109 points :roll:
mal
Coach

Postby mal » Sun Sep 06, 2015 7:29 pm

mal wrote:
mal wrote:NO AFL IN WAFL ?

Griffin
Hill
Mayne
Sutcliffe

RESTED OR OMITTED ?
Pavlich
McPharlin
Sandilands
Johnson
Mundy
Spurr
Pearce

BUT

WP...1-2...9-2...13-7...22-13 [145]
PT ...3-2...3-4....4-6........5-6 [ 36]

Peel Under lose by 109 points :roll:
mal
Coach

PreviousNext

Board index   Football  SANFL