Richmond - Still crap?

Talk on the national game

Richmond - Still crap?

Postby Rik E Boy » Wed Apr 09, 2014 12:51 pm

A lot of scribes had the Tigers in the top six, some even said they could push for the top four. I think I had them in the top eight. But so far this season they've played like a load of old plonkers.

With the Mullett out of action, and then missing Hampson as well they look wafer thin in the Rucks with VFL ruckman Orren Stepehenson valiantly flying the flag. Key forwards Vickery and Riewoldt struggle for consistency. Vickery looks to be looking to get too many 'Kent Kingsley' type easy out the back marks and Riewoldt looks like a player from a previous era, lead up, mark, kick the goal. Problem is, with presses if he stays home his opponent becomes the loose man and if he goes with his man he isn't leading straight at the ball anymore. His body language would make Brendan Fevola blush. Here's a list, Fevola, RIchardson, Riewoldt....flags - none.

In the midfield too much is left to too few. Cotchin is an emerging player and not the established gun he is often made out to be. Until he can improve his kicking efficiency and slot a few more goals he remains on a rung below guys like Ablett, Pendlebury, Selwood and Watson. Dustin Martin is an excellent player but man he is one lazy ****. He'll chase hard when he's got a chance of getting a kick but when the oppo has the ball he doesn't do enough. Deledio is the third imporant midfielder and they really missed his run against the Doggies last week but Lids still has that propensity to disappear for a quarter or so. And those are the better midfielders. Others like Foley, Grigg, Conca and Power recruit Matty Thomas just aren't that impressive.

The Tigers really lack Gorilla defenders. When your best big defender is Alex Rance (also out injured at the moment) then you are going to have trouble wiht the likes of Cloke, Hawkins, Patton and maybe even the slower than cement Jonathon Brown. Players such as Newman, Astbury, Morris and Grimes are constantly punching above their weight against the bigger men up forward.

The next generation of Tigers appear to have stagnated. Ellis, Batchelor and to a lesser extent Vlastuin don't appear to be stepping up. The Tigers are an improved combination but a closer look at their list will show an alarming number of rejects from other clubs. Whether this is astute recruiting or just papering over the cracks of yet more poor drafting will be shown up in the next four weeks as the Tigers play the Pies, Brisbane away, Hawthorn and Geelong.

They could be 2-5 at the end of that little run and looking like missing the eight yet again.

Are Richmond crap?

regards,

REB
Rik E Boy
Coach

Has liked: 1698 times
Been liked: 1818 times

Re: Richmond - Still crap?

Postby Mr Beefy » Wed Apr 09, 2014 1:55 pm

Not as crap as the 9 sides that will finish behind them
Mr Beefy
Coach

Has liked: 406 times
Been liked: 651 times
Grassroots Team: Rosewater

Postby JK » Wed Apr 09, 2014 3:29 pm

Reckon you've got that all spot on REB.

Seems as though the brainstrust at Punt Rd are big believers that Vickery can go to another level, and they're that desperate to try and make it happen they are bypassing their Coleman medallist to try and force the issue. Not that Jack shouldn't accept some of the blame here, because if your role changes for the betterment of the team, then you work hard to adapt and play it. Not sure Jack's that type though.

Big blokes generally take a lot longer to develop, but usually along the way they'll show some signs - I've not ever seen anything from Vickery to suggest he could be a special player.

I think they need to trade one of their more talented players, be it Lids, Dusty, Jack, Ellis, to make a cultural statement (provided of course they can get a quality player in return).

Won't be surprised to see them get on a run and make the 8, but can't see them being a challenger to the top 4.
FUSC
JK
Coach

Has liked: 4458 times
Been liked: 2986 times
Grassroots Team: SMOSH West Lakes

Postby Dogwatcher » Wed Apr 09, 2014 3:30 pm

All I care is that they lose on Friday night!
You're my only friend, and you don't even like me.
Dogwatcher
Coach

Has liked: 1425 times
Been liked: 1152 times
Grassroots Team: Elizabeth

Postby MatteeG » Wed Apr 09, 2014 3:43 pm

JK wrote:I think they need to trade one of their more talented players, be it Lids, Dusty, Jack, Ellis, to make a cultural statement (provided of course they can get a quality player in return).

They had their chance when Martin was shopping himself around. 9th.
helicopterking wrote:Flaggies will choke. Always have.
MatteeG
Assistant Coach

Has liked: 524 times
Been liked: 511 times
Grassroots Team: Flagstaff Hill

Postby Booney » Wed Apr 09, 2014 4:59 pm

In a work, yes. Why?

Well, look at their recent "recruiting" from other clubs :

Ricky Petterd, Bacher Houli, Chris Knights, Shaun Hampson,Shaun Grigg, Matt Thomas, Ivan Maric, Aaron Edwards, Matt Thomas, Orren Stephenson. Would any of their previous clubs want any of those players back in a hurry?

Hardly an inspirational list of "upgrade" players when you consider Hawthorns gains of Lake, Hale, Burgoyne, Gibson, Gunston etc.

Vickery and Rewioldt offer a fairly potent key forward combination but as noted above Jack looks like a full forward and full forward only with a well documented questionable attitude while Vickery is taking time, as big blokes do and may well develop into the player many think he will be.

Deledio, Martin, Cotchin are the nucleus of a solid midfield.....but Conca hasn't lived up to being pick 6, Foley is in and out of games.

King is, well King and besides Rance the only key backman they have is the very trade worthy Troy Chaplin.

That's why.
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

Has liked: 7492 times
Been liked: 10774 times

Postby CoverKing » Wed Apr 09, 2014 5:03 pm

Quite laughable some of that REB. Morris punching above his weight against the bigger men up forward? Shows you dont watch much of Richmond games really. Also the fact you didnt mention our BnF winner from last year shows you dont watch them too closely one would think.

How and why people think Deledio is our third best midfielder has me stuffed. He is our best no doubt. People question his consistency but those that watch every game will realise he plays defensive roles a fair few times throughout each year where he isnt expected to get 20+ touches a game.

Cotchins kicking skills is definitely a worry, especially when he is not under any pressure. His kicking lets him down way too much to be classified as a top 10 AFL player. No doubting that IMO. Great leader and wills himself to contests, never gives up, but would rather the ball in Martin, Deledio or Concas hands.

Batchelor is not in our best side so him stagnating is not that big of an issue, Ellis has shown a lot of promise, 3 games in im happy to back him to have a good year. Vlaustin, second year blues, he will be a terrific player for us. Conca, had a very limited preseason, after tearing his hamstring in the final badly, keeping him is a priority, because i believe he will be the best out of the entire lot of our midfielders. He had an outstanding finish to last year and really came on until the hamstring injury.

My main issue is Hardwick and the coaches refusal to give in and play Riewoldt one out as much as possible. Let Vickery and Griffiths roam at the half forward line, and Riewoldt do the special things close to goal. Kick to him as much as they can, he will win games off his own boot more than he loses.

So are richmond crap? no i dont think so, however there is no doubt the 'experts' overrated us, and i said that at the start of the year. We finished 5th last year before losing the final, it was a good year, but finishing that high may have been more negative than positive after going so long without finals. Scraping into the finals would of been a better way to get in i believe, something that i hope we can do this year. Still the last side to beat the Hawks aswell ;)
I Want to be a Western Youth Ranger!
CoverKing
Coach

Has liked: 13 times
Been liked: 11 times
Grassroots Team: Flinders Park

Postby Booney » Wed Apr 09, 2014 5:21 pm

If it's simply a matter of playing Reiwoldt one out and kick it to him as much as he can "he'll win more games than he loses".... :lol:

Good luck. ;)
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

Postby JK » Wed Apr 09, 2014 5:24 pm

Booney wrote:In a work, yes. Why?

Ricky Petterd, Bacher Houli, Chris Knights, Shaun Hampson,Shaun Grigg, Matt Thomas, Ivan Maric, Aaron Edwards, Matt Thomas, Orren Stephenson. Would any of their previous clubs want any of those players back in a hurry?

*ahem* Chaplin? ;)

I think the Crows might just take Maric over Angus Graham too :lol:
FUSC
JK
Coach

Has liked: 4458 times
Been liked: 2986 times
Grassroots Team: SMOSH West Lakes

Postby CoverKing » Wed Apr 09, 2014 5:25 pm

Rather that than what we've seen from him the first 2 and a half games. We only kicked it to him once (or twice) in the forward 50 in the first half on the weekend.
CoverKing
Coach

Postby Booney » Wed Apr 09, 2014 5:37 pm

JK wrote:

*ahem* Chaplin? ;)

Haha...I did mention Chaplin later in my comment and I agree, only Maric would get a call back. Perhaps Pettard, Richmond might be crap, but Melbourne are stinking it up big time!

Pretty uninspiring list of players they have targeted, isn't it? Houli, Hampson and Grigg from Carlton. Let's face it, if they are sending you away you've got problems. Pettard from Melbourne, Stephenson from the VFL after a bit of a go while Geelong transitioned from Ottens to their crop of young ruckman. Thomas you could argue is a good depth player, but he's not in the best 22 of a top 6 side, neither is Knights or Chaplin.....
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

Postby Ron Burgundy » Wed Apr 09, 2014 5:58 pm

JK wrote:

*ahem* Chaplin? ;)

Angus Who??
Ron Burgundy
League - Best 21

Has liked: 174 times
Been liked: 137 times

Postby CoverKing » Wed Apr 09, 2014 6:04 pm

Booney wrote:
JK wrote:

*ahem* Chaplin? ;)

Haha...I did mention Chaplin later in my comment and I agree, only Maric would get a call back. Perhaps Pettard, Richmond might be crap, but Melbourne are stinking it up big time!

Pretty uninspiring list of players they have targeted, isn't it? Houli, Hampson and Grigg from Carlton. Let's face it, if they are sending you away you've got problems. Pettard from Melbourne, Stephenson from the VFL after a bit of a go while Geelong transitioned from Ottens to their crop of young ruckman. Thomas you could argue is a good depth player, but he's not in the best 22 of a top 6 side, neither is Knights or Chaplin.....

Well firstly Houli is from Essendon who has been pretty handy since joining us. Hampson was picked up to help give Maric a chop out.
Grigg was traded for Collins and has been a handy in and a win for us.

Pettard, Thomas and Stephenson were all rookie pics and that's the way Richmond have shown they will go with rookies as depth players.
Chris knights was playing good footy until a freak incident and I think he adds a bit on the big MCG as a half forward.
CoverKing
Coach

Postby heater31 » Wed Apr 09, 2014 6:09 pm

Ron Burgundy wrote:
JK wrote:

*ahem* Chaplin? ;)

Angus Who??

That spud ruckman in your reserves, looks like Tarzan and plays like Jane ;)
heater31

Has liked: 525 times
Been liked: 1263 times

Postby bennymacca » Wed Apr 09, 2014 6:26 pm

spot on REB, good post. Agree with most of that.

Richmond are the type of side that look a million bucks when they are up and about, but just cant keep it going for long enough periods, and they go dangerously missing for long periods of time, especially against poor opposition. That to me says a lot of their problems are between the ears, and with dusty and riewoldt and king you can kind of see how it could point to a culture problem.

and the fact that you didnt mention their best and fairest winner last year is more an indictment on Richmond than yourself :D

JK wrote:

*ahem* Chaplin? ;)

I would take grigg, maric, houli. the rest are depth players at best, but do seem to be relied on a little too heavily.
bennymacca
Coach

Has liked: 2253 times
Been liked: 1803 times
Grassroots Team: Freeling

Postby CoverKing » Wed Apr 09, 2014 8:22 pm

Hardly an indictment on Richmond. Finish game and a half outside the top 4 last year. Jackson has been super for a couple of years now.
bennymacca wrote:spot on REB, good post. Agree with most of that.

Richmond are the type of side that look a million bucks when they are up and about, but just cant keep it going for long enough periods, and they go dangerously missing for long periods of time, especially against poor opposition. That to me says a lot of their problems are between the ears, and with dusty and riewoldt and king you can kind of see how it could point to a culture problem.

and the fact that you didnt mention their best and fairest winner last year is more an indictment on Richmond than yourself :D

JK wrote:

*ahem* Chaplin? ;)

I would take grigg, maric, houli. the rest are depth players at best, but do seem to be relied on a little too heavily.
CoverKing
Coach

Postby bennymacca » Wed Apr 09, 2014 8:23 pm

Jackson isn't a bad player but he is nowhere near being an afl A grader.
bennymacca
Coach

Has liked: 2253 times
Been liked: 1803 times
Grassroots Team: Freeling

Postby Jim05 » Wed Apr 09, 2014 8:33 pm

Lol at Houli, we definately dont miss him. We are no world beaters but he still wouldnt get a game for us, burns the ball far too much
Jim05
Coach

Has liked: 1126 times
Been liked: 3552 times
Grassroots Team: South Gawler

Postby dedja » Wed Apr 09, 2014 8:42 pm

In one word REB ... yes
It is better to be silent and be thought a fool, than to speak and remove all doubt
dedja
Coach

Has liked: 176 times
Been liked: 992 times

Postby David Brent » Thu Apr 10, 2014 10:18 am

I dunno if we are crap but def not as good as we are made out to be.

Some of our recycled players are ordinary but I do think, Houli, Pettard & Maric have all been decent pick ups. Maric may well be our most important player we have been rubbish without him this year.

I think Eillis will be a ripper he even gets tagged from time to time now, Conca & Valustin will also be top players & most clubs would take them on their list in a year or so.

As for Chaplin & Hampson don't get me started what spuds.

Big wraps on Liam McBeam we need him to come in play CHF & let Vickey play as a 3rd tall & back up ruck. Gotta get McBeam in now!!
If you can keep your head when all around you have lost theirs, then you probably haven't understood the seriousness of the situation.
David Brent
League Bench Warmer

Has liked: 98 times
Been liked: 161 times

Next

Board index   Football  AFL