Round 2 - Central v Norwood Post Game

All discussions to do with the SANFL

Round 2 - Central v Norwood Post Game

Postby Wedgie » Sat Apr 12, 2014 6:18 pm

Great win for the Doggies.

Central 13.8 86
Norwood 6.8 44

Goals shared around on both sides with a few getting 20+ possessions on each side.
Wedgie
Site Admin

Has liked: 2042 times
Been liked: 3887 times
Grassroots Team: Noarlunga

Re: Round 2 - Central v Norwood Post Game

Postby whufc » Sat Apr 12, 2014 6:33 pm

The best win by the Dogs in the last couple of years.

I honestly was expecting an honourable 5 goal loss today and things looked ugly when Norwood had the first 5 scoring shots and Centrals had barely had a clean possession.

Not sure what caused the change but Centrals completely outplayed Norwood for 3 quarters and to be honest I though the scoreboard flattered Norwood a touch as the Dogs still made crucial errors at crucial times (handballs to feet, dropped marks, easy kicks out of bounds on the full, bad decision making inside 50)

That was my first look at the Dogs this year and despite the ordinary first quarter all my mates agreed it wasn't through a lack of effort rather execution.

Was very impressed with Retzlaff who has instantly become a cult hero on the northern hill (thanks to him facing the hill encouraging them to sing louder and clap after the bigger chants, was refreshing to see a character on a footy field) more importantly though he worked hard, took some good marks, kicks accurately and was always the first bloke over to congratulate, encourage and give advice to the young blokes. Did have to laugh at the 'who the effin hell is Hardy' chant.

Josh Glenn was a class above and Habel was finally using his pace brilliantly (Consistency is his issue). Matty White looked solid in defence as well and love the fact Goodrem played the whole game back.

Barmby could be in a tad of strife for his hit on Phillips.

The Dogs spread was brilliant as well. When Norwood switched the play they had no options as the Dogs spread across perfectly forcing a quick to contest down the line, or at very least slowed the ball movement down.

Really enjoyed the win but the problem the last few years is the dogs can follow up today with an absolute shocker next week.

Highlight of the day had to be when Norwood player shot at goal, ball bouncing through for a goal and Brady Dawe in the goal square tries to soccer it on the line and it hits him the chest for a point.

Norwood obviously played well below their ability. I always felt Norwood were only a couple of goals on the trot from breaking the game open but It never really happened. Definatly not panic time for Norwood and they will be there when the whips are cracking that's for sure.

Anyway great day at SANFL football despite the very low crowd, was there an official figure anything over 1750 and there lying imho. Always good to get one over the bendover boys.
Last edited by whufc on Sat Apr 12, 2014 6:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
RIP PH408 63notoutforever
whufc
Coach

Has liked: 5586 times
Been liked: 2527 times
Grassroots Team: BSR

Postby Jim05 » Sat Apr 12, 2014 6:35 pm

Poor game by the Legs, Dogs pressure was far too good but doesnt excuse guys for not tackling or chasing. Too many Legs players ran up the white flag early which was disappointing.
Glenn was fantastic, we had very few who could hold their heads high. And thanks to the SANFL for serving up that abyssmal time slot, worst crowd ive ever seen at Lizbef
Jim05
Coach

Has liked: 1126 times
Been liked: 3552 times
Grassroots Team: South Gawler

Postby Ted E Bear » Sat Apr 12, 2014 6:37 pm

Well done doggies, some spice has been added to the comp with the panthers also winning. Very hard to predict this season.
Crowd disappointing.
Glenn could be AFL next season.

Why does Nason cop so much critisism?
Ted E Bear
Under 16s

Has liked: 0 time
Been liked: 13 times

Postby whufc » Sat Apr 12, 2014 6:39 pm

Jim05 wrote:Poor game by the Legs, Dogs pressure was far too good but doesnt excuse guys for not tackling or chasing. Too many Legs players ran up the white flag early which was disappointing.
Glenn was fantastic, we had very few who could hold their heads high. And thanks to the SANFL for serving up that abyssmal time slot, worst crowd ive ever seen at Lizbef

Yeah Central would have taken a pretty big financial hit with the time slot. I posted in the live scores thread around 11.30 there was 17 people in the front bar and obviously no one in the dining room.

After the game there was a standard size crowd in the front bar and the club were putting on counter meals from straight after the game but I didn't see a single person with a meal.

The league players didn't seem to mind the time change, it meant they were able to get in the front bar and catch a few of the major interstate horse races lol.
whufc
Coach

Postby Gozu » Sat Apr 12, 2014 6:50 pm

Full credit to Centrals they came out in the 2nd Qtr a different side with a big lift in intensity.

I thought the crowd looked pretty decent on TV.
"The factory of the future will have only two employees, a man and a dog. The man will be there to feed the dog. The dog will be there to keep the man from touching the equipment" – Warren Bennis
Gozu
Coach

Been liked: 660 times

Postby StrayDog » Sat Apr 12, 2014 6:53 pm

Jim05 wrote:Poor game by the Legs, Dogs pressure was far too good but doesnt excuse guys for not tackling or chasing. Too many Legs players ran up the white flag early which was disappointing.

Fair points Jim.

Personally, the time slot worked well in my family's situation but judging by the turnout that was by no means a unanimous view. As usual we parked in the car-park near the bowling centre, but can't recall seeing so few cars there on a match day against Norwood. From that I figured probably 2,500, didn't look to be far off inside the ground. For a commercially broadcast game, not an optimal look for the League IMO.
Last edited by StrayDog on Sat Apr 12, 2014 6:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"— here I opened wide the door; —
Darkness there, and nothing more."

- Edgar Allan Poe from " The Raven "

StrayDog
League Bench Warmer

Has liked: 1147 times
Been liked: 194 times

Postby whufc » Sat Apr 12, 2014 6:56 pm

StrayDog wrote:

Fair points Jim.

Personally, the time slot worked well in my family's situation but judging by the turnout that was by no means a unanimous view. As usual we parked in the car-park near the bowling centre and recall seeing so few cars there on a match day against Norwood. From that I figured probably 2,500, didn't look to be far off inside the ground. For a commercially broadcast game, not a great look for the League IMO.

The figure will be very interesting.

I work at the Aquadome and usually on Central game days the cark park gets full from football supporters and the staff at the dome who don't follow football know there is a game on across the road.

I had to call into work after the game and the car park was dead and the girls at the front desk were surprised that I had been at the footy as they hadn't seen many people walking through the carpark with scarfes etc etc,
whufc
Coach

Postby bulldogproud2 » Sat Apr 12, 2014 8:01 pm

A very good last three quarters from our boys. After Norwood kicked the first goal of the second quarter, we actually outscored them 12-7 to 2-3. This included the final five goals of the match, after Norwood scored two in a row (one just before 3/4 time and one just after) which saw them back within 10 points. Josh Glenn was brilliant and is very likely to get more game time in the midfield or up forward than in defence from now on. Goody played superbly in defence, TC used his strength well, Habel used his pace well and Wedgie's boy (Nason) played one of his best games for a while.
Having said that, the first quarter was a very poor one skill-wise for us. We continually fumbled, missed targets, dropped marks etc. The endeavour was certainly there but the skills were lacking. Not sure what caused the turnaround but the last three quarters would have had to have featured some of the best football we have played in the past two years. On the other hand, Norwood seemed to lack intensity - perhaps a letdown after the win over Port last week? They looked to have much cleaner skills and looked good when the ball was out in the open. However, they appeared to not be willing to do the hard thing when the ball was in dispute or when Central had the run of it. This was totally unlike the Norwood of last year. I am sure it will be an aberration and I have a feeling whomever plays them next week will be playing a Norwood team fired up to perform!

Cheers
bulldogproud2
League - Best 21

Has liked: 52 times
Been liked: 51 times
Grassroots Team: Imperials

Postby UK Fan » Sat Apr 12, 2014 8:04 pm

Good triumphs over evil!!!
fester69 wrote: I'm full of "pish and wind" !!You can call me weak !!

MW wrote: Well call me a special asshole!.

Booney wrote: I'm a happy clapper **** stick.

THE SKY HAS FALLEN!!!!
UK Fan
Coach

Has liked: 1202 times
Been liked: 502 times

Postby JK » Sat Apr 12, 2014 8:08 pm

One BIG unknown for Norwood (imho), will be the different dynamic of the onball brigade. There were some decent size bodies around the ball with Suckling, Zorsi, Thomas and even Grigg, all of whom played a physical style game. With those guys missing and Bartlett and Allan coming in, it should keep the skill level intact, but will they function as well without any onball hardmen? Well done to the Dogs today, our boys could really learn from their desperation, desire and commitment.
FUSC
JK
Coach

Has liked: 4458 times
Been liked: 2986 times
Grassroots Team: SMOSH West Lakes

Postby fester69 » Sat Apr 12, 2014 8:16 pm

Sorry for the pathetic non support from the Norwood supporters from about ten minutes into the third quarter!!
It was nearly as bad as the on-field performance!!
As usual good banter and good steak sandwich!!
I'll put it down as "one of those days"!
fester69
League Bench Warmer

Has liked: 18 times
Been liked: 32 times
Grassroots Team: Morphettville Park

Postby whufc » Sat Apr 12, 2014 8:19 pm

JK wrote:One BIG unknown for Norwood (imho), will be the different dynamic of the onball brigade. There were some decent size bodies around the ball with Suckling, Zorsi, Thomas and even Grigg, all of whom played a physical style game. With those guys missing and Bartlett and Allan coming in, it should keep the skill level intact, but will they function as well without any onball hardmen? Well done to the Dogs today, our boys could really learn from their desperation, desire and commitment.

That will be interesting to see as the season unfolds.

Today Central defiantly seemed a lot more physical around the packs (which was great to see after what I had heard last week) the Centrals midfield isn't overly big but it was more their attack on the ball rather than sheer size. I don't think the Dogs have to many monsters in the side either with only really Collier and Retzlaff being giants.

Interestingly as well am I right in saying that Norwood had 3 stretcher incidents today yet not one resulted in a free kick against Centrals.
whufc
Coach

Postby Wedgie » Sat Apr 12, 2014 8:28 pm

My stat about Norwood not kicking 20 goals remains confusing.
Wedgie
Site Admin

Has liked: 2042 times
Been liked: 3887 times
Grassroots Team: Noarlunga

Postby sjt » Sat Apr 12, 2014 8:47 pm

A fantastic win today. Unfortunately couldn't go due work commitments. Was very concerned pre game, with no McIntyre and Symes, I thought we'd struggle in the midfield. Looking forward to seeing a copy of the game. Well done doggies.
sjt
League - Best 21

Has liked: 118 times
Been liked: 59 times

Postby jim5112 » Sat Apr 12, 2014 8:56 pm

Looked like classic Bulldog footy. Well done guys. Norwood looked like they had no plan B when things did not go well for them.

They just continued with their usual circle work style.
Last edited by jim5112 on Sun Apr 13, 2014 11:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
jim5112
Rookie

Been liked: 1 time

Postby SDK » Sat Apr 12, 2014 10:32 pm

Just got home from work commitments to see the start.
Everything we did right last week and in the first quarter this week went out the window from early in the second quarter when the players thought this will be easy and we can coast. WRONG !!!
Where was the tackling and pressure ? Early on Centrals were terrible because of this but we stopped applying this trademark pressure and just left it to the other guy but every one had the same idea. Our game is based around hard tackling and forcing errors but we took the foot off early and allowed Centrals to run .... fatal on that big ground.
Very disappointing day and we need to be focused as one unit with EVERY player tuned in and a part of the game plan.
Hey guys it will not be as easy as it was during the last two years and we have to work twice as hard this year if we are going to have any chance in the finals. Hope this is a wake up call same as the Eagles game early last year.
SDK
League - Best 21

Been liked: 51 times

Postby cennals05 » Mon Apr 14, 2014 9:00 am

After quarter time it was some of the best football Centrals have played over the last couple of years. I thought Thomas, Williams and Goodrem were all great. Potter's clearance work was good and the run of Nason was a huge factor in the win.

Great to see some of the reserves players step up and play well. It was one of those games where everyone played their role.

I thought Norwood look tired and out of legs (pardon the pun) by the end of the second quarter.

Kris Grant let his feelings known about the AFL reserves teams at the presentations afterwards.
cennals05
League Bench Warmer

Has liked: 146 times
Been liked: 248 times

Postby smac » Mon Apr 14, 2014 9:13 am

Has there ever been a post game Centrals/Norwood thread with this much passion? They're usually dull and lifeless, the SANFL is indeed alive and thriving. Thanks Triggy!
smac
Coach

Has liked: 165 times
Been liked: 233 times
Grassroots Team: Salisbury

Postby Mic » Mon Apr 14, 2014 9:16 am

cennals05 wrote:After quarter time it was some of the best football Centrals have played over the last couple of years. I thought Thomas, Williams and Goodrem were all great. Potter's clearance work was good and the run of Nason was a huge factor in the win.

Great to see some of the reserves players step up and play well. It was one of those games where everyone played their role.

I thought Norwood look tired and out of legs (pardon the pun) by the end of the second quarter.

Kris Grant let his feelings known about the AFL reserves teams at the presentations afterwards.

What did he say?
Mic
League - Top 5

Has liked: 166 times
Been liked: 144 times

Next

Board index   Football  SANFL