State game??

Adelaide Footy League Talk

Re: State game??

Postby Jimmy_041 » Fri Apr 18, 2014 10:59 pm

Look Good In Leather wrote:Not sure how it can be referred to as a "state game". The so-called "state team" is only a rep side for the SAAFL, which only covers part of the Adelaide Metropolitan area, in no way representative of the entire state.

It is obscene that the state guernsey is disrespected in this manner.

Sent from my GT-I9305T using Tapatalk

Sunday's game is actually called the City v Country game and when they go to WA later this year, they are called the SAAFL State U23 team so I'm not sure what you're on about
Jimmy_041
Coach

Has liked: 718 times
Been liked: 1072 times
Grassroots Team: Prince Alfred OC

Postby Look Good In Leather » Sat Apr 19, 2014 12:50 am

We don't have a premier "amateur" competition in this state

Look Good In Leather
League - Best 21

Has liked: 150 times
Been liked: 284 times
Grassroots Team: Christies Beach

Postby bird of prey » Sat Apr 19, 2014 12:40 pm

Jimmy_041 wrote:
Look Good In Leather wrote:Not sure how it can be referred to as a "state game". The so-called "state team" is only a rep side for the SAAFL, which only covers part of the Adelaide Metropolitan area, in no way representative of the entire state.

Sunday's game is actually called the City v Country game and when they go to WA later this year, they are called the SAAFL State U23 team so I'm not sure what you're on about

Exactly. It's only referred to as the "state team" within amateur league circles. And since this forum is SAAFL specific, I think we are justified in calling it the state team on here.

I do remember playing against Vic and WA, a few times and they used their Big V, and their brown and yellow swan guernsey when they played us. Can't believe that they disrespected their state guernseys too :roll:

Given that it's one states amateur comp v another states amateur comp, then state guernseys are warranted I think.
bird of prey
Under 18s

Has liked: 0 time
Been liked: 40 times

Postby Look Good In Leather » Sat Apr 19, 2014 10:30 pm

bird of prey wrote:
Jimmy_041 wrote:

Exactly. It's only referred to as the "state team" within amateur league circles. And since this forum is SAAFL specific, I think we are justified in calling it the state team on here.

I do remember playing against Vic and WA, a few times and they used their Big V, and their brown and yellow swan guernsey when they played us. Can't believe that they disrespected their state guernseys too :roll:

Given that it's one states amateur comp v another states amateur comp, then state guernseys are warranted I think.

Both the VAFA & WAAFA are amateur competitions and have restrictions to maintain amateur status. As a result their rep teams are genuine State Amateur teams.
SA does not have any amateur competitions, therefore a State Amateur team is pointless, how many of the players in the SAAFL rep team would be amateurs?
Look Good In Leather
League - Best 21

Postby LaughingKookaburra » Sat Apr 19, 2014 11:49 pm

So my boss who gets $750 p.w to play Ammos in Melbourne equivalent Div 2 is a semi proffesional?

And Perth with the mining boom that demolishes what ever earnings are made in any other Australian Capital City doesn't pay blokes accordingly to prevent them going to the country?
Can you bring a man to his feet when defeat is on repeat?
LaughingKookaburra
Coach

Has liked: 72 times
Been liked: 740 times
Grassroots Team: Kenilworth

Postby bird of prey » Sun Apr 20, 2014 2:02 am

Look Good In Leather wrote:
bird of prey wrote:
Jimmy_041 wrote:

Both the VAFA & WAAFA are amateur competitions and have restrictions to maintain amateur status. As a result their rep teams are genuine State Amateur teams.
SA does not have any amateur competitions, therefore a State Amateur team is pointless, how many of the players in the SAAFL rep team would be amateurs?

You have absolutely no idea buddy. I have played in the all Australian side, and have got to know Vic and WA reps, and I can tell you that they are all getting paid cash to play. So if ya wanna get technical, they are not "amateur" either.

Maybe you could organise an SA, WA and Vic southern league comp. that way there you guys could wear a state guernsey and be happy too.
If you wanna have a whinge about the term "amateur league", then I really think that's a separate argument. But when you have 3 states operating their "amateur leagues" the same way, then I think it's fine to have a national tournament and wear state guernseys like they do,
bird of prey
Under 18s

Has liked: 0 time
Been liked: 40 times

Postby Look Good In Leather » Mon Apr 21, 2014 1:33 am

What regulations does SAAFL have regarding amateur status?

Look Good In Leather
League - Best 21

Postby tigerpie » Mon Apr 21, 2014 11:50 pm

Look Good In Leather wrote:What regulations does SAAFL have regarding amateur status?

None, they should be called Adelaide Metropolitan Football League
tigerpie
Assistant Coach

Has liked: 500 times
Been liked: 431 times

Postby Jimmy_041 » Tue Apr 22, 2014 12:43 am

Well, its called the Channel 9 Adelaide Football League - is that close enough? :roll:

Jimmy_041
Coach

Has liked: 718 times
Been liked: 1072 times
Grassroots Team: Prince Alfred OC

Postby Look Good In Leather » Tue Apr 22, 2014 10:46 am

Jimmy_041 wrote:Well, its called the Channel 9 Adelaide Football League - is that close enough? :roll:

So how much of the state does the "State Team" represent then?
Look Good In Leather
League - Best 21

Postby jo172 » Tue Apr 22, 2014 10:48 am

Jimmy_041 wrote:Well, its called the Channel 9 Adelaide Football League - is that close enough? :roll:

Well it's called City v Country and we're the City so even you should be able to figure that one out.
jo172
League - Top 5

Has liked: 1198 times
Been liked: 724 times

Postby Look Good In Leather » Tue Apr 22, 2014 11:07 am

jo172 wrote:

Well it's called City v Country and we're the City so even you should be able to figure that one out.

This thread was about the Channel 9 Adelaide Football League U/23 team that claims to represent the entire state. They also use a guernsey that a few weeks ago was planned to be used by our main South Australian club in the AFL, which at the time was declared sacrelegious and disrespectful.

I asked why it was called a "State Game" and everyone seems a bit defensive.
Look Good In Leather
League - Best 21

Postby HH3 » Tue Apr 22, 2014 11:10 am

Look Good In Leather wrote:This thread was about the Channel 9 Adelaide Football League U/23 team that claims to represent the entire state. They also use a guernsey that a few weeks ago was planned to be used by our main South Australian club in the AFL, which at the time was declared sacrelegious and disrespectful.

Firstly, the Crows aren't the "main" South Australian team, they're equals with Port.

Secondly, the team that will play against WA is a team made up of players from all different clubs, representing the state. They aren't one club playing off against another club for premiership points.
I TOLD YOU SO

2013/14 NFL Tipping Comp Champion
HH3
Coach

Has liked: 3301 times
Been liked: 2433 times
Grassroots Team: North Haven

Postby Look Good In Leather » Tue Apr 22, 2014 11:11 am

LaughingKookaburra wrote:So my boss who gets $750 p.w to play Ammos in Melbourne equivalent Div 2 is a semi proffesional?

And Perth with the mining boom that demolishes what ever earnings are made in any other Australian Capital City doesn't pay blokes accordingly to prevent them going to the country?

So a team in the VAFA is breaking their rules, that does not suddenly redefine amateur status.
If your boss it being paid $750 a week, he is a semi-professional (ie he is deriving an income but it is not his primary income).
Look Good In Leather
League - Best 21

Postby Look Good In Leather » Tue Apr 22, 2014 11:12 am

HH3 wrote:
Look Good In Leather wrote:This thread was about the Channel 9 Adelaide Football League U/23 team that claims to represent the entire state. They also use a guernsey that a few weeks ago was planned to be used by our main South Australian club in the AFL, which at the time was declared sacrelegious and disrespectful.

Firstly, the Crows aren't the "main" South Australian team, they're equals with Port.

Secondly, the team that will play against WA is a team made up of players from all different clubs, representing the state. They aren't one club playing off against another club for premiership points.

But they are not representing the state, they are representing the Channel 9 Adelaide Football League. How many from the Country team will be participating in this "State team"?
Look Good In Leather
League - Best 21

Postby HH3 » Tue Apr 22, 2014 11:14 am

HH3 wrote:

But they are not representing the state, they are representing the Channel 9 Adelaide Football League. How many from the Country team will be participating in this "State team"?

My understanding is that all of them would be if they won the game on the weekend...could be wrong.

They played off the represent the state, did they not?
I TOLD YOU SO

2013/14 NFL Tipping Comp Champion
HH3
Coach

Has liked: 3301 times
Been liked: 2433 times
Grassroots Team: North Haven

Postby Executive Member » Tue Apr 22, 2014 11:15 am

jo172 wrote:

This thread was about the Channel 9 Adelaide Football League U/23 team that claims to represent the entire state. They also use a guernsey that a few weeks ago was planned to be used by our main South Australian club in the AFL, which at the time was declared sacrelegious and disrespectful.

Well if South Australia U/23's play against WA U/23 one would assume that it is a game between two states

Also same guernsey country state team wears the state guernsey when they played in the Australian Country Championships (how many from the Channel 9 Adelaide Football League comp participating in that one ?)
Executive Member
Veteran

Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 140 times

Postby heater31 » Tue Apr 22, 2014 11:18 am

HH3 wrote:

Haven't you heard, South Australia ends at the Dry Creek salt pans, the toll gate on the freeway and at the entrance to the southern expressway ;)
heater31

Has liked: 525 times
Been liked: 1263 times

Postby valleys07 » Tue Apr 22, 2014 11:19 am

:lol: :lol:

And Port fans are the apparent sooks concerning this state jumper saga.
“Think of me like Yoda, but instead of being little and green I wear suits and I'm awesome. I'm your bro—I'm Broda!”

HOGG Shield 2015 Division I Premiers.
HOGG Shield 2017 Premier League Premiers.
valleys07
Coach

Has liked: 767 times
Been liked: 1169 times
Grassroots Team: Hope Valley

Postby Look Good In Leather » Tue Apr 22, 2014 11:19 am

Executive Member wrote:
jo172 wrote:

Well if South Australia U/23's play against WA U/23 one would assume that it is a game between two states

Also same guernsey country state team wears the state guernsey when they played in the Australian Country Championships (how many from the Channel 9 Adelaide Football League comp participating in that one ?)

That team would be the South Australian Country team, they are not claiming to represent the entire state, just the country areas. They also wear a different jumper to distinguish them from the South Australian team (the SANFL State Team), predominantly blue.
Channel 9 Adelaide Football League players have no place in the state Country team, because they do not play in a Country competition.
Likewise they have no place in a state Amateur team, because they do not play in a Amateur competition.
Look Good In Leather
League - Best 21

PreviousNext

Board index   Football  Other Footy Leagues  Adelaide Footy League